UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Romanian deadlift?

5/21/13 4:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Easytarget
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So i am doing the RDL and have done so for 6 sessions. I started light 60kg and have worked up to 110kg (240lbs)for 6 reps. It is easy, i fell could easily do more but i wonder how it should compare in relation to my regular deadlift which is 170(375)*6 atm.

Should it be closer to what i dead? I am used to the exercise but dont want to go too heavy too fast, but I do want to get some benefit and not go too light. Anyone have any experience and can chime in?
5/21/13 5:54 AM
None So Blind
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/video/platform_the_rdl
5/21/13 6:15 AM
Easytarget
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/21/13 6:18 AM
Thanks NSB, i watched that a few times a few months ago to get the form down, does he mention weight with regards to your deadlift numbers?

Also on a rack pull vid he mentions that he stopped doing deads once he could do 400lbs for reps and only did RDL and Rack pulls (maybe a 3rd exercies too?) as heavy deads were too hard to recover from. Thought that was interesting.
5/21/13 6:36 AM
banco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easytarget - Thanks NSB, i watched that a few times a few months ago to get the form down, does he mention weight with regards to your deadlift numbers?

Also on a rack pull vid he mentions that he stopped doing deads once he could do 400lbs for reps and only did RDL and Rack pulls (maybe a 3rd exercies too?) as heavy deads were too hard to recover from. Thought that was interesting.

I think his setup was two days alternating halting deadlifts and rack pulls on one day and power cleans and shrugs on the other.
5/21/13 10:24 AM
None So Blind
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd be careful following Rip's specific personal program when you get to higher weights for one simple reason, one he would be glad to tell you - he's working around a ton of chronic injuries. What is best for him may not be best for you.

As for sets/reps - a quote from SS 2nd Ed.:

"When RDLs are done heavy, a double overhand grip should be used. The shoulder asymmetry that results from an alternate grip is not desirable for this exercise, and the bar cannot
be pulled back into the legs with the lats effectively using a supine hand. The weights that will be used for heavy RDLs are not really heavy relative to the deadlift, most people being able to use between 65% and 75% of their 1RM deadlift for the exercise, so it will not usually be a problem to first use a plain old double overhand grip. A hook grip or straps should be used if grip strength is insufficient, but the hands need to both be in the prone position. Being an assistance exercise, RDLs are done in the range of 5-10 reps."
5/21/13 10:41 AM
Easytarget

Great stuff thanks for that quote NSB.

As for how rip does things you make a good point. IIRC though correctly he was talking about in his comp. days and that he only did deads on the comp day itself due to recovery issues.

I have no plans to change up my training, just added RDL as i have issues getting heavier deadlifts off of the floor.
5/21/13 2:53 PM
None So Blind

I love 'em, personally; they fry my hamstrings like I never would have thought possible :-)

But be careful about the terminology - RDL and stiff-legged deadlifts are exactly the same motion, mechanics, etc., except for the starting point - SLDL begin on the ground, RDL begin in the standing position. If you're having trouble breaking the weight off the floor, you might choose one over the other. I'd guess Rip would argue that RDL is slightly more efficient since you can incorporate the stretch reflex when you begin from standing and lower the weight, then return to standing:

(also from SS, 2nd Ed.)

"At a very low position on the shin, this angle becomes quite extreme, contributing to the difficulty involved in doing a strict RDL very far below the knees. In fact, if you touch the floor at the bottom of an RDL, you probably did it wrong with a light weight.

The stiff-legged deadlift(or SLDL )is possibly a more familiar exercise in most gyms, as a result of the fact that many people do the deadlift wrong and it ends up looking this way accidentally. The SLDL is essentially an RDL off of the floor - without the stretch reflex - with a
couple of other differences. Since the SLDL starts on the floor, it will most likely involve a longer range of motion than the RDL, which is supposed to stop at the point where the low back unlock due to limitations in hamstring extensibility.

Most people can't do a strict RDL all the way down to the floor with the bar loaded with 17 inch plates, so you will have to do the SLDL with enough knee bend to allow the back to get into good position to start. The amount of knee bend will obviously depend on individual flexibility; the point of the exercise is stiff legs, so use as little as necessary.

But for the RDL - and the squat, the bench, the jerk, and maybe the press, depending on how it's done - it is not cheating, but an inherent part of the movement. The "bounce" out of the bottom of the RDL enables rather heavy weights to be used in the exercise despite the fact that the quads have been excluded from helping with the movement RDLs take advantage of the stretch reflex just to the extent that it affects the hypextensors."
5/21/13 3:23 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recommed that folks use lighter weights, and higher reps for RDL's and SLDL's as well. For many exercises I recommend training to failure (but not with these two movements). Train until a few reps short of failure. Be sure form does not break down.

When I say higher reps I mean sets of 10-15 vs 5x5 etc. For the most part I prefer higher reps sets for most leg exercises.

TAKU

5/21/13 8:15 PM
Easytarget

"But be careful about the terminology - RDL and stiff-legged deadlifts are exactly the same motion, mechanics, etc., except for the starting point - SLDL begin on the ground, RDL begin in the standing position."

Did not know that. Thanks.

I do RDLs because i have trouble getting my regular deads off the floor so i added them and started doing my regular deads from a dead start each rep. Seems to be working, but will see when the weight gets higher.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.