UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cerrone: Injury is just another shot of whiskey

5/21/13 9:57 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone, who fights K.J. Noons on Saturday at UFC 160 in Las Vegas, live on PPV, fights somewhere in the 30/30-60/60 range. However, in the past two years, he has earned $410,000 in 'of the Night' performance bonuses. Add in discretionary bonuses, sponsorships, etc, and Donald Cerrone affords what he calls "an active lifestyle."

On his sprawling ranch outside Albuquerque, Cerrone has built his own little playground, complete with a garage full of motorcycles and ATVs, a barn full of horses, and a front yard full of livestock.

He also has a full-time job as a professional fighter, which Cerrone approaches with a zealotry driven by financial ambition.

He's done it as ferociously and as often as his body will allow, since that's the surest path to financial security as an MMA fighter, he said.

"My thing is, for instance on Saturday, all I've got to do is go out there and throw down, and if I do an extra good job, they might give me a $100,000 bonus," Cerrone said. "Usually they send you a bonus in the mail – a discretionary bonus – on top of everything else, too."

Those paydays do come at a price. Cerrone's fan-favorite style takes a toll on his body. When your financial well-being is tied to your willingness to make sure the night ends with blood on the mat, you can't afford to think too far ahead.

"Never have I thought, I'm going to be sore tomorrow," Cerrone said. "Being injured, that just means another shot of whiskey to me."

Read entire article...

5/21/13 9:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DanielCaton
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the guy is a real cowboy and damn I love watching him fight.

5/21/13 10:09 AM
NomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love this kid! Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 10:55 AM
Haywood Jablowme
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is a guy who I will always tune in for.
5/21/13 11:10 AM
FunkMasterJoe
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always look forward to seeing Cerrone fight. Regardless of whether you like him or not, you gotta appreciate how he is in the cage. Never in a boring fight. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 11:30 AM
JamesOhYeah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any fan of MMA respects Cerrone. He breaks the Jackson's MMA myth of 'boring'.

Coming to think of it, DC is one of my favourite fighters of this generation.

5/21/13 11:50 AM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many other fighters have not only the balls to consistently call out the toughest match-ups in their divisions, and then like the Pettis fight, manage to honestly congratulate their opponents after a loss? Best type of fighter in MMA IMO. He's like Frank Mir except he respects his opponents more I think. Mir's just the devil.
5/21/13 11:57 AM
horsemeat grew my head
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KimboByGhettoplex - How many other fighters have not only the balls to consistently call out the toughest match-ups in their divisions, and then like the Pettis fight, manage to honestly congratulate their opponents after a loss? Best type of fighter in MMA IMO. He's like Frank Mir except he respects his opponents more I think. Mir's just the devil.
Your SN makes me lawl every time I see it. Just thought you should know. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.