UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Noons suspects Cerrone won't just stand with him

5/21/13 10:34 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

On Saturday at UFC 160 in Las Vegas, live on PPV, K.J. Noons will have his debut in the UFC, vs. Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone.

“I thought right away it’s a great matchup, great fireworks,” said Noons on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I’ve got a lot of respect for the guy as a fighter … . He’s very well versed. He’s a very well-rounded fighter. He likes to stand and bang, and he can mix it up anywhere.”

Noons had an undefeated streak for for over three years between with wins over Nick Diaz, Yves Edwards, and Jorge Gurgel, among others. However, he has struggled lately, going 1-4 his last five fights.

“I’m not making excuses for my losses, but the last five fights, the first loss was to Nick Diaz, which was a very close fight in a weight division which I don’t even fight in,” Noons said. “I did that for the organization because they asked me to. … I did lose to [Jorge] Masvidal, so we can say that’s a loss. Came back and won a fight after that, and then I fought Josh [Thomson] and he just laid on me like a human blanket. I kind of look at that like he was pretty scared to fight. I guess it wasn’t even really a fight, and then last fight, the judges gave it to [Couture]. Like I said, I’m not trying to make a lot of excuses, but it’s just kind of where the cards fell.”

In Noons’ view, the UFC brought him over from Strikeforce because he’s an entertaining fighter who deserved the nod against Couture.

“Stylistically, I believe I still have a lot of fights left,” said Noons. “I’m an exciting fighter. I think that has a lot to play in what the UFC decides. … I’m pretty confident that my style of fighting is pretty exciting and people like to watch it. That’s what the UFC likes. They like exciting fights and what people want to see.”

Donald Cerrone is known for an exciting style that has earned him $410,000 in 'of the Night' performance bonuses, but Noons is worried that "Cowboy" make try to avoid a stand up war.

“There’s only been one person that’s stood and banged with me,” said Noons. “It was Nick Diaz. I don’t know if that’s the smartest thing … . I train for every aspect of the game because it’s MMA. It might look like it’s going to be a standup war, but people want to put it wherever it’s going to be the most to their advantage. I feel like the biggest advantage for me is standing. He’s probably going to be wanting to take it anywhere, make my hands tired, make legs tired. I’m ready for wherever the fight goes. I think it’s going to be exciting anywhere.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview... (2:25:39 mark)

5/21/13 10:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ShawnTheBadger
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course Cowboy should take him down.  Even if just to establish the threat in Noons mind, and to make his own striking offense and feints more effective.

I expect we'll still see plenty of stand-up going on.

5/21/13 10:44 AM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love both fighters going to hate seeing one of them lose. Phone Post
5/21/13 10:46 AM
MasterofMartialArts
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Josh Thomson kind of laid on me like a human blanket"

"I'm not trying to make excuses"

Whatthefuck? Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 10:47 AM
ABE FROMAN
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

“I’m not making excuses for my losses, but the last five fights, the first loss was to Nick Diaz, which was a very close fight in a weight division which I don’t even fight in,” 

5/21/13 10:49 AM
ABE FROMAN
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I’m not trying to make a lot of excuses, but it’s just kind of where the cards fell.”

5/21/13 10:53 AM
Ryan Williams
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

therealeags - Noons is going to wreck Cerrone....once you start getting sports psychologists involved its all down hill from there
You mean like how GSPs career went to shit after the Serra fight and he started seeing a sports psychologist? Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 10:54 AM
Ryan Williams
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PS Noons is possibly one of the most annoying personalities in MMA. Something about makes me want to see him get smashed. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 11:04 AM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Refuse to Lose - Love both fighters going to hate seeing one of them lose. Phone Post
. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 11:12 AM
The Real Asian Cowboy
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Cerrone doesn't take him to the ground I will be very suprised.
5/21/13 11:32 AM
JStrongMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War Cowboy! Phone Post
5/21/13 11:35 AM
SD CARTEL
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LET'S GO NOONS!
5/21/13 11:37 AM
TommyRSU
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryan hit it on the head. He is annoying as fuck, and always has been. Made excuses from day one and thinks his shit don't stink. Phone Post
5/21/13 11:43 AM
Garv
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ban April 1st, Please!

I thought Greg Jackson was a sport psycologist.

5/21/13 11:44 AM
RiskyMMA

^ He brings it though.
5/21/13 11:49 AM
RiskyMMA

That was meant for Tommy lol.
5/21/13 11:54 AM
GooseLeeMMA

Noons is a retard. Cerrone will wreck him Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 1:22 PM
cecils_pupils

Cowboy should let him bang, bro.
5/21/13 1:36 PM
ChucoV
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War Cowboy Phone Post
5/21/13 1:37 PM
ender852
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cerrone needs a win, of course he is gonna use his size and take down the decorated boxer.

5/21/13 1:54 PM
GooseLeeMMA

Here's my breakdown. Cerrone in title fights and #1 contender fights he is awful. Not himself and holds back. Working his way back up to title contention he wrecks people and pretty easy. I expect nothing different vs noons. Noons is a deadman walking Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 4:32 PM
kaiten

“There’s only been one person that’s stood and banged with me”

Pretty sure Sir Charles Bennett stood and banged with him... with a vicious outcome for Noons.
5/21/13 4:52 PM
ThinkMMA
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TommyRSU - Ryan hit it on the head. He is annoying as fuck, and always has been. Made excuses from day one and thinks his shit don't stink. Phone Post
This is the truth. I knew KJ when he went to school in Sugar Land, Texas. Not a good guy. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 4:59 PM
SD CARTEL
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KJ's a friend of mine, I can say undoubtedly he is a pretty awesome guy. It's actually pretty funny to hear people besides "thinkmma" talk shit about him. Even so, he's talking about his alleged actions in high school. Whatever though, tis the interweb and the interweb 'gon internet etc.

Gonna be a tough fight for sure!, looking foward to the whole card.
5/21/13 6:03 PM
Ryan Williams

SD CARTEL - KJ's a friend of mine, I can say undoubtedly he is a pretty awesome guy. It's actually pretty funny to hear people besides "thinkmma" talk shit about him. Even so, he's talking about his alleged actions in high school. Whatever though, tis the interweb and the interweb 'gon internet etc.

Gonna be a tough fight for sure!, looking foward to the whole card.
If you notice I said MMA personality. As far as I know he's nice guy but the personality he puts forth in interviews comes off as arrogant and whiny ie. "I'm not making excuses except for..." Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.