UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> What is the Gospel?

6/19/13 3:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Saint Stevo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reverend john - steve you just posted the definition that states right in it what I am talking about. You are so stuck on your own argument that you don't even see that you posted the proof of what I said.

Politics is the act of governance. It is the way in which a community conducts its social self. When Jesus says to forgive each other, or give the procedure for dealing with conflict in the community in Matthew 18, or when he challenges the authority of the temple cult that is all about governance.

I said over and over again that Jesus wasn't trying to overthrow the government. It is obvious that he wasn't running for emperor or high priest. What he said is that there is a new government, God's government, and to be a citizen it requires your allegiance to it and not any other. Meaning there will be clashes with existing power structures.

rev

Forgiving someone did not go against a governing law toward the sanhedrin or the Roman Government. Jesus teaching human conduct was not Government.

I do see governing in what you said toward the temple.
I agree on that.

The whole point between me and you was about the Gospel. The whole story was summed up in Jesus death, burial and resurrection. Also you've explained to me that we are to make society changes because of this, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm saying we are not called to make society changes but to preach the Gospel for people to receive salvation.
6/19/13 5:11 PM
reverend john
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

politics is social structure, that is what the definition you posted said if you could read it without your preconceived notions forcing you to think different. For example, every heard the term church politics? sexual politics? the politics in sports, behind the scenes in your work ect. Politics is how we work together. So when Jesus speaks about forgiveness, about going to a brother alone, then with another few people, then with the elders, that is politics.

When Jesus uses the term the gospel, that is a political word. You say, the gospel is Jesus life death and resurrection. But Jesus says the gospel is the kingdom come. Which is His life, death and resurrection, but it is also our life, death and resurrection. Which means it is not just belief, it is not just eternal salvation, it is not just good deeds, it is not just living a new way, it is all of these things.

We are called to make societal changes. Jesus says when you don't feed the hungry (societal change) you are not feeding him and are deserving of hell (matt 25) Jesus says when you do not practice forgiveness and mercy, you do not receive it Matt 5. Ect. When Jesus send his disciples out, he does not say, teach them who I am, was so that they can be saved. He says, make "disciples" of all nations, teaching them to "obey everything I have commanded".

The idea of the gospel being fire insurance is a lessening of the fullness of what Jesus himself said it was. Jesus invites us into a new life here and now that profoundly effects all that we surround.

rev
6/27/13 6:57 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/27/13 7:16 PM
Saint Stevo - Who can tell me what is the Gospel?

The Gospel is The Good News.

Meaning...

Christians get a NEWS REPORT of actual events which says:

"We interupt your life to bring you this breaking report. God sacrificed his only begotten son for US. Whoever puts his faith in Jesus Christ shall be saved. Film at 11:00".

Later that night on the evening news:

"Eyewitness accounts from Matthew, Mark, Luke and John match up saying Jesus took the punishment for us AND HE DID ALL THE SAVING WORK FOR YOU".

Later that week. "The author Luke is doing a three part interview with Larry King to give an account of what happned in the life of the church after Jesus rose again, ascedned and sent the helper (Holy Spirit) - the book of Acts.."

Christians get an account of factual events "good news" saying Jesus Christ has done it all for us. 

Other religions get a self help book/ideology of sorts saying "Here you go. NOW, do it yourself..."

"Do it yourself" is not only NOT GOOD NEWS - BUT impossible.

6/28/13 11:37 AM
Saint Stevo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Amen! I agree. Jesus did it all for us. He paid the penalty of our sin and offers his gift of salvation. This is Grace.

We all agree that the gift is a 2 party system. 1 to give the gift and the other to receive the gift.

Now when we receive, this becomes a work of faith. Faith is dead without action (work).

If no one puts forth work of faith toward the gift. Well I guess Hitler will be singing and praising with the whole world in heaven and nobody goes to Hell.

Which is clearly not the case when Jesus said many are called but few are chosen.

Praise Jesus for the Gospel of his death, burial and resurrection and allowing us (grace) to obey his commands
by Acts 2:38

Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
7/12/13 2:07 PM
JitsuGuy
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

An all knowing, all powerful God who decides what is good created the garden of eden where Adam and Eve sinned altering all of creation and dooming everyone to eternal punishment - even those who just inherit original sin but do nothing else to offend God. The only way God could forgive people was to send one of God's persons, God the Son, to Earth to live like a human and then die for a few days. So God the Son did all that and now anybody who says the sinner's prayer and believes is given the "free gift" of salvation. Then out of gratitude for all that God has done the new Christian will submit their lives to God to be made into a new person. Good news - you don't have to experience God's eternal wrath!
7/12/13 5:21 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there something about the Gospels being a Whitness?  Not law but a Whitness?

7/12/13 7:54 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/12/13 7:55 PM
JitsuGuy - An all knowing, all powerful God who decides what is good created the garden of eden where Adam and Eve sinned altering all of creation and dooming everyone to eternal punishment - even those who just inherit original sin but do nothing else to offend God. The only way God could forgive people was to send one of God's persons, God the Son, to Earth to live like a human and then die for a few days. So God the Son did all that and now anybody who says the sinner's prayer and believes is given the "free gift" of salvation. Then out of gratitude for all that God has done the new Christian will submit their lives to God to be made into a new person. Good news - you don't have to experience God's eternal wrath!

It's really important to understand some specifics here. Respectfully, there is no "sinners prayer" in scripture.

Eph 1 (the whole chapter) tells us how WE WERE CHOSEN IN "HIM" BEFORE THE WORLD WAS EVER CREATED.

Verse 13 - And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation.

The doctrine of GRACE is so very humbling. Jesus came to "seek and save the lost". We rest in HIS work. That is the central theme. All the rules and regulations are on the periphery.

Jesus didn't get anyone "just close enough" so that if some individual only does/says "fill in the blank" - They "could be" saved. Jesus didn't make salvation possible - He accomplished salvation for those who God chose before te foundation of the world. No glory to man for "coming to his senses". All glory to God for choosing to save anyone. That is truly GOOD NEWS.

;)

7/14/13 1:31 AM
Saint Stevo

Curious, so no one goes to Hell?
7/15/13 8:25 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Saint Stevo - Curious, so no one goes to Hell?

No.

But God, according to his plans and purposes and the counsel of his own will, decided who would go to heaven before the world was ever made.

Yet, according to his standard NOBODY should get to heaven. It's very humbling to think that he chose anyone. 

This is all moot. Our job is to love our neighbor as ourselves and spread the GOOD NEWS of the Gospel to the world.

Our job is not to oppress the homosexuals, the homeless, the lazy, the fema-nazis, the mean alcoholics etc... Our "delight" is to love them well and try to bring a fortaste of the kingdom of heaven into our broken world.

Jesus said "The Kingdon Of Heaven Is At Hand"...

Humility is a gift we should all be pleading with God to grant us...

8/18/13 2:56 AM
justinthevikingwren
1385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.