UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jacob Volkmann on mission to "expose" UFC

5/22/13 11:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nhdjoseywales
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whambo - 
nhdjoseywales - SO if thats true, then he makes a Chiropractor salary, a coaches salary, extra money from extra coaching and he got 40k+ a year from UFC. is this guy really complaining he cant make a living doing all that shit? If the "third job" isnt paying what you want then quit ya retard. He really does come off as a whiny ass conservative douchebag who wants it all for themselves and none for others.

Lol the shills are coming out strong on this one. He makes basically no money as a chiropractor, and something tells me his part time coaching gig isn't a huge pay day I dunno...

Either way that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, you're just trying to justify why the UFC pays so shitty. The UFC has a right to fire him, but he has just as much right to bitch about how they were a shitty employer.

There's always going to be some friction between the sport purists, and those who view the UFC more like the WWE. Maybe the UFC cutting guys like Fitch and Volkmann isn't a big deal to the WWE types, but I don't like seeing guys who are still competitive in the division cut, while other guys can go on 5 fight losing streaks and stay, and others get title shots after they lose because they can talk like a WWE Star.

Makes no money as a chiroparctor? I know a chiro in a small ms delta town that at last count had 9 or 10 porsches. sounds like volkmann sucks at all his jobs. The UFC can pay what it wants, its a free market. If you dont like it, you are free to go elsewhere or even find a different line of work. Since you cant come up[ with a reasonable comparison to the UFC to determine the "correct" pay scale i think all you really have is bitter speculation and sour grapes. Enjoy that.
5/22/13 11:52 AM
easedel

I think the sad part of all of this is the poverty line for a family of 4 being 23,000.

That is insanely freaking low.
5/22/13 11:58 AM
MisterMr
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/22/13 11:58 AM
Jacob, UFC did not cut you because you were not entertaining or because of your record.
No. They cut you because you are an idiot.

That being said, blame everyone you can except yourself Volkmann.
5/22/13 12:16 PM
Whambo
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nhdjoseywales - 
Whambo - 
nhdjoseywales - SO if thats true, then he makes a Chiropractor salary, a coaches salary, extra money from extra coaching and he got 40k+ a year from UFC. is this guy really complaining he cant make a living doing all that shit? If the "third job" isnt paying what you want then quit ya retard. He really does come off as a whiny ass conservative douchebag who wants it all for themselves and none for others.

Lol the shills are coming out strong on this one. He makes basically no money as a chiropractor, and something tells me his part time coaching gig isn't a huge pay day I dunno...

Either way that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, you're just trying to justify why the UFC pays so shitty. The UFC has a right to fire him, but he has just as much right to bitch about how they were a shitty employer.

There's always going to be some friction between the sport purists, and those who view the UFC more like the WWE. Maybe the UFC cutting guys like Fitch and Volkmann isn't a big deal to the WWE types, but I don't like seeing guys who are still competitive in the division cut, while other guys can go on 5 fight losing streaks and stay, and others get title shots after they lose because they can talk like a WWE Star.

Makes no money as a chiroparctor? I know a chiro in a small ms delta town that at last count had 9 or 10 porsches. sounds like volkmann sucks at all his jobs. The UFC can pay what it wants, its a free market. If you dont like it, you are free to go elsewhere or even find a different line of work. Since you cant come up[ with a reasonable comparison to the UFC to determine the "correct" pay scale i think all you really have is bitter speculation and sour grapes. Enjoy that.

Volkmann after the Obama incident was asked on one of those money shows to talk about his gripes with the Pres. He outlined the costs he incurred because of Obamacare, and how much he makes etc. He literally breaks even after costs, it's a small part time practice so after licensing, building fees, secretary, etc he's even.

Reasonable comparison is how the big 4 sports divide up revenue. Obviously some aspects won't be applicable, but some will.
5/22/13 12:28 PM
IIAces

caseharts -
IIAces -
IP - I'm starting to change my view on fighters' pay.

The UFC's mindset seems to be that when a fighter makes it to the UFC, they've made it to the "show," and all other organizations are merely feeder systems or the "minors." If that's the case, then any fighter who makes it to a UFC card should feel they've achieved something special, and with that, should be compensated accordingly. Base pay should be much more than competing organizations, and more than 6/6.
Tell that to the MLB. Stars get paid more because they are stars. Sign a baseball deal. 30k a year, 7 year deal is starting contract if drafted after 1st round. If you make the MLB, league min is what, 300k yet arod makes 24-27 million. You get paid if you produce. Phone Post 3.0
Everyone agrees you should get way more of you produce. But the minimum pay in the ufc should be much higher. Phone Post
300k to 24 million is a big jump. Sports work this way. Many kids jump on pro ball and say shit, I'm stuck here making 40k.

6k to 470k (gsp's last payday with win bonus, would have gotten 200k if he lost) is the same jump in pay as 300k(MLB league min) to 24 million(80x the min). You get paid to perform. PPV points and shit are for stars.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/georges-stpierre-5-million-ufc-fight/

GSP 200k to fight. New guys 6k. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 12:34 PM
IIAces

Animal Mother -
DWray - He made $6,000/$6,000?! Georges St. Pierre only makes $3,000 to show and $3,000 to win.

Oh. No. Wait, that is what GSP made at UFC 46. Now he makes ~$5 million per fight. Because he pleased his bosses and became the very best at what he does.

The UFC will allow you to make a lot of money if you prove to them you're worth it.
Yes, comparing Volkman to one of the top pfp fighters of all time seems legit. Also, that was a long time ago. Phone Post 3.0
GSP makes 200k a fight. Look it up. Everything he gets after that is because he's a star. PPV points ect are because he's a draw. Everyone thinking GSP makes 1-2 mil a fight is stupid. Most his money comes from PPV points because he's big draw.

GSP's last fight 200k to show 270k to win. Everything else he got is because of who he is. But just his fight pay is 200k to 470k. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 12:42 PM
eljamaiquino

How many tickets does he sell? I didnt tune in to watch him. Sounds like he was overpaid if anything..... Phone Post
5/22/13 12:48 PM
IIAces

So people that aren't at the top get 6k to show 6k bonus to win.

GSP gets 200k to show 270k win bonus.

That's what the get to fight. PPV points GSP earned and that why his pay seems so large. But he earned his bread. Every other fighter can do the same. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 12:50 PM
Whambo
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eljamaiquino -  How many tickets does he sell? I didnt tune in to watch him. Sounds like he was overpaid if anything..... Phone Post

That's because you're not a true fan.
5/22/13 12:56 PM
cycklops
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaleSonnen - How come he's not getting asked questions like "So do you think your a exciting fighter to watch in the Octagon?" The guy would never be able to sell PPV's or sell out arena's.. ever... UFC was probably looking for an excuse to get rid of him.

The same argument is made about GSP but he still sells ppvs.
5/22/13 1:04 PM
Authority Figure

Whambo -

I know chiropractors with private planes and vacation homes. If he can't make a living, it probably has to do with that abrasive and whining attitude.

Lots of money to be made in his chosen field. In any state. UFC owes him nada. Phone Post
5/22/13 1:08 PM
Standup29

What is he trying to expose? What we already know? Up and comers don't make much when they first sign? We knee that. High profile fan favorites make a lot more than guys who "just win"? We knew that. He got cut because he lost a fight? We knew that was coming after the oddball things the guy says and his style isn't the most fan pleasing style.

When will guys understand you get paid what you can negotiate and your value is placed on you by the fans. As it has always been, if the people love you, you will get paid.

I want all the fighters to get paid more. But there will always be guys who are successful but not financially successful. If you want to get paid more and get title shots, win andnbe entertaining. If not, you'll have to go on an incredible win streak and beat the fan favorites in the process. Sports have politics, maybe there shouldn't be but there is. Just how it is. Phone Post
5/22/13 1:12 PM
Sprawl'n'Stall
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I certainly wished fighters at the low end would be paid a lot more, well that's free market economics for you. He calls himself a conservative yet balks at this? And wants better healthcare for fighters but not for the population as a whole? Damn.

Fighters "on TV" might not make great pay at first, but if they keep winning they will. If they have charisma and marketing skills they will. They can make bank if they start or are part of MMA school if they play their cards right. Etc etc

You know... capitalism at work...
5/22/13 1:14 PM
Standup29

cycklops -
DaleSonnen - How come he's not getting asked questions like "So do you think your a exciting fighter to watch in the Octagon?" The guy would never be able to sell PPV's or sell out arena's.. ever... UFC was probably looking for an excuse to get rid of him.

The same argument is made about GSP but he still sells ppvs.
Well that isn't exactly an argument at all. GSP became a draw before he became "boring". He was already a champion. He destroyed the Legendary Matt Hughes, Frank Trigg, BJ Penn, Sean Sherk and Matt Serra. All champions or top 3 who fought for the title.

Not exactly comparable to Volkman. Say what you want about how GSP fights today, but he earned his status as a PPV star. Phone Post
5/22/13 1:16 PM
dabigchet

volkmann was at 20/20 and would probably still be in the UFC if he was more of a team player.
5/22/13 1:19 PM
RedDragons
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paranoid is as paranoid does. Avoid the Noid!
5/22/13 1:36 PM
ChaosOverkill
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SmackyBear - 
ChaosOverkill - 

THe sport with the closest comparable numbers is the MLS

similar revenue bracket and in fact doublt the athletes in the MLS than ufc and Minimum in the MLS is 35,000 or so last check.

3 fights at 4,000 with win bonus doesn't even come close if taken as an average for lower fighters fights per year and Cholish's pay. Win 8,000 per is 24,000 a year at 3 fights.

I'm not saying I don't think the UFC could pay more to it's fighters. This is just about the comparison between the two.

I know the league has been doing better recently, but doesn't the MLS lose money? Despite most of the teams having their cities help them build their stadiums? I know the Fire's stadium is wholly owned by some town that is now in debt for like $250M due to the stadium falling short in revenue generation.

Yup you're right it is true and the UFC's revenue exceeds it and has half the athletes so I think the sweet spot for pay and profit could still support raising the minimum of 4,000 to 6,000 or 7,000 but no higher

5/22/13 1:52 PM
Authority Figure

Sprawl'n'Stall - While I certainly wished fighters at the low end would be paid a lot more, well that's free market economics for you. He calls himself a conservative yet balks at this? And wants better healthcare for fighters but not for the population as a whole? Damn.

Fighters "on TV" might not make great pay at first, but if they keep winning they will. If they have charisma and marketing skills they will. They can make bank if they start or are part of MMA school if they play their cards right. Etc etc

You know... capitalism at work...
This. Phone Post
5/22/13 2:04 PM
big_slacker
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Where I live 2k a month rents a 3 bedroom. Now what do we eat? ;)
5/22/13 2:07 PM
Eisenberg
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh Jacob. If only he never opened his mouth he would still be employed by the UFC.
5/22/13 2:15 PM
TuLegit

He's making logical sense on why the lower weight fighters actually lose money to fight and dfw will tell you to shut the fuck up and look at boxing... LOL... Then post a vid of him in one of his many ferraris/lambos. Go figure. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 2:21 PM
Wasa-B
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana and Obama are totally in on this together.
5/22/13 2:55 PM
TartanTopTeamsBukkakeBeyatch
189 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dabigchet - volkmann was at 20/20 and would probably still be in the UFC if he was more of a team player.
That's my best guess. His last fight wasn't boring and he got finished. The fight before was the Roller fight and he looked like a machine in destroying Roller and tapping him. Phone Post
5/22/13 3:00 PM
shark tank
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what i find bothersome is that Dana White drops more on the tables gambling than he pays fighters. He plays hands that far exceed what he pays most of the fighters in a year. this organization is not struggling and should compensate its fighters accordingly.
5/22/13 3:15 PM
ironyuppie

What Dana White does with his own money has no impact on the the pay of UFC fighters.

If he was a cheapskate do you think he would be paying the fighters more?

More importantly the Ferttitas and Dana should be making piles of money. They rescued the sport of MMA they have created an industry with money and time that they risked.

As they have succeeded the fighters make more money. I wouldn't be surprised to learn UFC fighter pay is a fixed percentage of UFC revenue (just like in the NFL or NBA).

If the sport grows, the fighters will make more and if the sport levels out or decreased in popularity they will make even less.

I do think that everyone can agree that Zuffa is the most successful business in MMA. Promotions that have paid the fighters well have a nasty habit of going out of business.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.