UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jacob Volkmann on mission to "expose" UFC

5/21/13 4:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
2JupitersTooMany
1782 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC has no incentive to treat fighters any better.  It's not like exposing the UFC in interviews is going to hurt ticket sales.  The benevolent spirit of the free market can't help people in Volkmann's position.  The only sure solution is something like government regulation.  Maybe unionization would work, maybe not.  Volkmann can't support either one so he's stuck just voicing his disappointment, but all that will do is burn a bridge for him, it won't change anything.

5/21/13 4:44 PM
ABE FROMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/21/13 4:53 PM
DWray
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He made $6,000/$6,000?! Georges St. Pierre only makes $3,000 to show and $3,000 to win.

Oh. No. Wait, that is what GSP made at UFC 46. Now he makes ~$5 million per fight. Because he pleased his bosses and became the very best at what he does.

The UFC will allow you to make a lot of money if you prove to them you're worth it.
5/21/13 4:54 PM
BrattMamley
1038 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Volkman for President Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 4:59 PM
IIAces

IP - I'm starting to change my view on fighters' pay.

The UFC's mindset seems to be that when a fighter makes it to the UFC, they've made it to the "show," and all other organizations are merely feeder systems or the "minors." If that's the case, then any fighter who makes it to a UFC card should feel they've achieved something special, and with that, should be compensated accordingly. Base pay should be much more than competing organizations, and more than 6/6.
Tell that to the MLB. Stars get paid more because they are stars. Sign a baseball deal. 30k a year, 7 year deal is starting contract if drafted after 1st round. If you make the MLB, league min is what, 300k yet arod makes 24-27 million. You get paid if you produce. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 5:07 PM
sockeye
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The man is providing a different perspective to the matter.
Have to respect his opinion and definitely interested in what he has to say Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 5:09 PM
shaqitup
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hopefully more fighters come out like this

5/21/13 5:10 PM
armbarseverywhere
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NewGenUfcFan - guys its totally ridiculous that most fighters on the rosters start out at 6K and 6K per fight. This is the UFC, a billion dolalr business owned by two billionaires. This is the highest level of competition that these fighters can achieve, and still only get paid 6k$? Ridiculous. I have growers that make that much per pound at dispensaries

Josh Rosenthal knows all about that.
5/21/13 5:13 PM
ShaqNoob
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He wants Dana to get a glassectomy.
5/21/13 5:13 PM
IIAces

armbarseverywhere -
NewGenUfcFan - guys its totally ridiculous that most fighters on the rosters start out at 6K and 6K per fight. This is the UFC, a billion dolalr business owned by two billionaires. This is the highest level of competition that these fighters can achieve, and still only get paid 6k$? Ridiculous. I have growers that make that much per pound at dispensaries

Josh Rosenthal knows all about that.
lmao Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 5:15 PM
Ozzabong

The UFC's mindset seems to be that when a fighter makes it to the UFC, they've made it to the "show," and all other organizations are merely feeder systems or the "minors." If that's the case, then any fighter who makes it to a UFC card should feel they've achieved something special, and with that, should be compensated accordingly. Base pay should be much more than competing organizations, and more than 6/6.
Even mayweather said that its unfare how the fighters get treated and payed!! Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 5:22 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
IIAces -

Tell that to the MLB. Stars get paid more because they are stars. Sign a baseball deal. 30k a year, 7 year deal is starting contract if drafted after 1st round. If you make the MLB, league min is what, 300k yet arod makes 24-27 million. You get paid if you produce. Phone Post 3.0
Everyone agrees you should get way more of you produce. But the minimum pay in the ufc should be much higher. Phone Post
5/21/13 5:24 PM
Skip2MyLou
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacob Volkmann and John Cholish should team up and work together Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 5:25 PM
MMALOGIC

A closet liberal acting like a conservative.

people are now complaining about 6k and 6k? where the heck was everyone when the entry pay was 1200 and `1200?

I dont like the pay structure because most of the money is paid in bonuses instead of show money and that hurts the product because it causes more stress on the fighters.

But the total payout Zuffa makes is fine. It just needs to be structured differently.

Get rid of and absorb the game show "of the night bonuses", locker room bonuses and absorb them across the board into the show money. in General at least 2/3rds of a fighters pay should be show money.

instead of 6 and 6, it should be 10 and 5.

instead of 15 and 15... it should be 20 and 10.
5/21/13 5:27 PM
MMALOGIC

^ and not because the pay is "unfair"... buit because it is unproductive.

The fighters will perform much better if most of their next paycheck is earned the moment they step foot into the octogan. Then they are free to focus on only performing...

instead of winning, or getting a bonus... which does nothing but create stree which hurts performance.
5/21/13 5:27 PM
TheKidAintMine
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

spaulding91 - So he says the UFC treated him and those below the top guys like shit. Yet hes bitter he was released?

Exactly.
5/21/13 5:28 PM
Bentleysuper8

Edited: 05/21/13 5:29 PM
Not a fan but very interesting. Very astute posters exposing conservative cognitive dissonance.
5/21/13 5:34 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIAces - 

MLB minimum pay is still a ton of money for a college graduate. That's what I'm talking about. When you entered the show, you should receive an acceptable starting compensation.
5/21/13 5:36 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
The other leagues are feeders be honest. Once you get to the ufc you shouldn't haven't to worry about money. You shouldn't be able to retire on that either. Phone Post
5/21/13 5:36 PM
Chris27

Maybe the UFC should use the boxing model.

Go to 5 fight cards, cut most of the roster, pay the guys on the roster more.

less fighters to give insurance, nobody can complain about making 6/6 in the UFC. Cut about 250 fighters and just keep the best guys and pay them more.

let the others who complain about making no money fight in Bellator/WSOF and the regional scene.
5/21/13 5:38 PM
zFugitive

What gets you paid is your persona/charisma...if you don't have it...good luck getting a decent contract.

That...or be incredibly fucking talented/gifted.

Otherwise...you will probably peek at 60k/60k. (This is where the problem area is)

If you don't have the charisma, or much talent/skill...be happy you are even getting paid to merely get in a cage and beat the shit out of someone else...

The top fighters are making their money, the bottom tier entry fighters really have not done enough to deserve a ton of money (their not a name ppl buy PPVS for, barely ne1 watches their fights)...but it's the mid-tier guys that really need to get a pay boost....

Guys who are still making 30-50k to show even though they have a lot of name recognition and have been in the organization for a couple of years...IMO are the guys you need to rely on. Big stars eventually retire, and when you get to the point where your headliners are not even making 6 figures...something is seriously wrong if you are claiming to be the "biggest sport in the world"
5/21/13 5:42 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Chris27 - Maybe the UFC should use the boxing model.

Go to 5 fight cards, cut most of the roster, pay the guys on the roster more.

less fighters to give insurance, nobody can complain about making 6/6 in the UFC. Cut about 250 fighters and just keep the best guys and pay them more.

let the others who complain about making no money fight in Bellator/WSOF and the regional scene.
No more fights the merrier.i want to see the profit margins they're making and what the numbers are.
If you get rid of of the night bonuses you can pay everyone way more. That's another 7 to 10 thousand per fighter. Only do finish bonuses no win bonuses. Phone Post
5/21/13 5:43 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The bottom line is that very few people on the planet are fortunate enough to make a good living being a professional athlete. If you want to do that then you had better be really fucking good, especially in combat sports & football where the athletes regularly absorb physical damage they take with them for the rest of their lives.

The UFC provides the opportunity for fighters like Volkmann, Cholish, etc. to make careers for themselves. They need to win consistently to do it. The UFC doesn't need to put on 12-13 fights per event to build the weightclasses and build the sport, but they do anyway. The UFC doesn't owe them anything, realistically.

IMO it's the middle tier of fighters, like top contenders, legends, exciting non-contenders, etc. that don't seem to get paid enough. Fighters like Franklin, Hendo, the Diaz Bros, Gomi, Sanchez, etc. are ones people will want to see & fighters that people will, in part, buy a PPV to see, but these types probably don't get much if any part of the PPV bonus. Personally I won't buy a PPV for just one main event, I buy for the card, and some of the established vets like Jacare, Lawler, etc. alone may not get me to buy the PPV (the main event & co-main does that) but they push me over the top & make me buy it. A UFC fighter's union will be a good thing, and I think it will happen eventually, but the middle and upper tiers of fighters are going to be the ones to have to do it, and I'm not sure they are going to be willing to fork over large percentages to Volkmann-type fighters anyway. They'll still need to win and draw some to get paid. See: the arbitration system in MLB for reference, where players don't make any money until they've had 3 years in the league - a league where halfway decent players regularly get $5-10M annually in guaranteed money.
5/21/13 5:46 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see the UFC minimum at around 25k/10k. Win incentive is built into their operating philosophy, which is to cut losing/unexciting fighters (drop back down to the minors). Incentive to finish comes in bonus checks.
5/21/13 5:48 PM
TheJudge

Detective Volkmann on the case! I'm sure he'll sleuth out all the injustices heaped on fighters by the UFC. Volkmann, hotel dick.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.