5/21/13 6:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
guardbr8kr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VOTE for Volkmann!!!!!
5/21/13 6:09 PM
JerodR
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where is the damn popcorn gif when I need it.....
5/21/13 6:13 PM
IP
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't understand why fans wouldn't want UFC starting money to be more acceptable.?. Not the moon, of course, but 6k/6k is nothing when you consider the status of fighting in the UFC.
5/21/13 6:16 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
5/21/13 6:16 PM
KZTT_FawkingxD
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Volkman is lame. I was bored reading his response, he should go print off more chiropractic degrees and bring up Obama and how the secret service checked on him for the billionth time. Zzz Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 6:23 PM
Ryan Williams
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only people that can decide if pay is unjust is the fighter signing the contract. While I agree with sentiment that pay is too low my buddy made 2/2k his first UFC fight so at least it has came up but still pretty bad considering a lower tier fighter doesn't get that many fights per year an sponsor money is low at that level.

However that said until the fighters stop signing the contracts the terms will stay the same. At this point most people know what the deal is yet they decide to sign anyway. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 6:25 PM
kostello

I wouldn't apply at McDonald's if I didn't like their pay scale.

What's with the complaining? Fight and the local fair and get the chick that dips snuff. Have a good time.
5/21/13 6:28 PM
epwar
537 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - I cannot wait for the obligatory Dana calling he and Cholish "morons" during this week's scrum.

It will be epic Dana White anger towards these gents.

Book it.

Dana's already called them washouts.

John Cholish and Jacob Volkmann have been shitting on you about fighter pay just so you know.

washouts are never happy

5/21/13 6:56 PM
Oontyex
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the UFC is really good to the fighter that draw the buys and make them money, and don't show the same love to the guys who don't draw buys because of low name recognition
*scratches head*
Me no understand Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 7:03 PM
MMALOGIC

blankets will be blankets.
5/21/13 7:07 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar -
Zed Wayne Zed - I cannot wait for the obligatory Dana calling he and Cholish "morons" during this week's scrum.

It will be epic Dana White anger towards these gents.

Book it.

Dana's already called them washouts.

John Cholish and Jacob Volkmann have been shitting on you about fighter pay just so you know.

washouts are never happy

Why can't Dana respond to criticism just once with an ounce of class?

He actually seems like a good guy but I hate how he presents himself and, by extension, the UFC. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 7:09 PM
Tat2tillidie
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

If you don't like what an employer is offering you, go work somewhere else. That's the free market. That's the whole cornerstone of conservative ideas. He is being a hypocrite.
Good post I agree Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 7:16 PM
Pessimist_Pete

Fuck him. I'd rather watch grass grow than watch him fight. Plus his interviews were cringeworthy. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 7:21 PM
Matt Phillips
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In, because Volkmann is full of shit and I can't wait to see him get lit up. Phone Post
5/21/13 7:22 PM
UGSlapshot

Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

If you don't like what an employer is offering you, go work somewhere else. That's the free market. That's the whole cornerstone of conservative ideas. He is being a hypocrite.
I think its ignorant to call what we have (corporatism/ fascism) in America a free market system.

That's the idea we started with before the system became corrupted. Phone Post
5/21/13 7:24 PM
transamman

IIAces -
IP - I'm starting to change my view on fighters' pay.

The UFC's mindset seems to be that when a fighter makes it to the UFC, they've made it to the "show," and all other organizations are merely feeder systems or the "minors." If that's the case, then any fighter who makes it to a UFC card should feel they've achieved something special, and with that, should be compensated accordingly. Base pay should be much more than competing organizations, and more than 6/6.
Tell that to the MLB. Stars get paid more because they are stars. Sign a baseball deal. 30k a year, 7 year deal is starting contract if drafted after 1st round. If you make the MLB, league min is what, 300k yet arod makes 24-27 million. You get paid if you produce. Phone Post 3.0
my friend was drafted in the 7th round of the MLB draft and they signed him for 50k a year for 5 years with a 500k signing bonus and he never played a major league game so... Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 7:27 PM
Mihow
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if tweet was legit, valling Volkman a washout is absurd. someone should find him ...
5/21/13 7:28 PM
YousHerName
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont like that dude Phone Post
5/21/13 7:29 PM
deadlysyn

Ok for one they get medical, most promotions don't get shit. 2 a retirement fund? In most sports your career is 3 years in the highest level if you are lucky, no one should get paid a retirement fund off of that. Most companies now days that you can spend 20 or more years at dont give that or make you pay for it on ur own. It's their responsibility to manage their money do an ira or invest.

And again at the end of the day sports is entertainment and if you are entertaining in one way or another u aren't entertaining. The fans pay the bills, they pay for enjoyment don't to be bored out of their minds we can do that for free. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 7:31 PM
HexRei

They're being kinda careful with wording there... 6-2? Only if you ignore his first two losses. Being honest, he's 6-4, with 2 lost out of his last 3- that's in the grey area where it's not really a stretch to cut a fighter. There some wiggle room there but Jacob unfortunately doesn't have any of the qualities that make that wiggle work for him. He's boring, hasn't got any name recognition to the casuals, and hasn't really shown that he's got what it takes to be a contender for a belt.

I liked that he gave us some numbers on the UFC's insurance policy but his invective seems unwarranted and is not likely to do him any good in the long run.
5/21/13 7:36 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

transamman - 
IIAces -
IP - I'm starting to change my view on fighters' pay.

The UFC's mindset seems to be that when a fighter makes it to the UFC, they've made it to the "show," and all other organizations are merely feeder systems or the "minors." If that's the case, then any fighter who makes it to a UFC card should feel they've achieved something special, and with that, should be compensated accordingly. Base pay should be much more than competing organizations, and more than 6/6.
Tell that to the MLB. Stars get paid more because they are stars. Sign a baseball deal. 30k a year, 7 year deal is starting contract if drafted after 1st round. If you make the MLB, league min is what, 300k yet arod makes 24-27 million. You get paid if you produce. Phone Post 3.0
my friend was drafted in the 7th round of the MLB draft and they signed him for 50k a year for 5 years with a 500k signing bonus and he never played a major league game so... Phone Post 3.0

The disparity in wages between those paid to league minimum MLB players, prospects, etc. and those paid to league average veteran 6+ year players, percentage wise, is enormous. It's huge. I'm sure by comparison the UFC payrates to their lowest level athletes look quite a bit better.

I believe the UFC is valued at well over $1Billion now. But so are the Yankees, and there are 29 other teams apart from them. Also, as the UFC brass will point out, the UFC pays for everything. MLB gets absolutely ridiculous fees for the radio and TV rights to their games, locally and also nationally, and they really don't have to do much of anything except put their stamp on shit. MLB is as big of a cash cow as there is, and again, even under a player's union, the lowest level athletes get shit in comparison to everyone else.
5/21/13 7:53 PM
jbapk

"I'm sure by comparison the UFC payrates to their lowest level athletes look quite a bit better.'

Please tell, what actual evidence do you have to make such a definitive statement that you're "sure" of it?

What would you say the pay rates are of a low level athlete in the UFC vs MLB, since you're "sure" one is better then the other?
5/21/13 7:55 PM
FixedPartialArts

Edited: 05/21/13 7:57 PM
So he's only anti Obama's policies when they don't appear to benefit him personally? Now all of a sudden the coverage that is provided through employers is unfair and inadequate. He's exposing himself most of all.
5/21/13 7:56 PM
ChaosOverkill
736 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait self-employed? The UFC hires you but you are self-employed? huh? Independant contractor loopholes with healthcare?

Dafuq is going on over there?

5/21/13 7:59 PM
cdmontgo
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Comparing $50k per year for an MLB player to $6k/$6k per fight UFC fighter isn't the same. You can live a middle class lifestyle off of $50k per year. You can't do that off of $18k - $36k per year for three fights (not to mention the fighters are taxed at a higher rate due to self-employment).

It's about providing the lower level guys with the opportunty to settle down and do their jobs without having to worry about secondary sources of income.

The UFC can do that. They are making money hand over fist and occassionally make entire fight cards off of lower level guys which proves these guys are that profitable.

Also, I think the UFC should be listening to Volkman regarding improvements to the health insurance plan.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.