UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jacob Volkmann on mission to "expose" UFC

5/21/13 8:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AlexinTO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIAces -
IP - I'm starting to change my view on fighters' pay.

The UFC's mindset seems to be that when a fighter makes it to the UFC, they've made it to the "show," and all other organizations are merely feeder systems or the "minors." If that's the case, then any fighter who makes it to a UFC card should feel they've achieved something special, and with that, should be compensated accordingly. Base pay should be much more than competing organizations, and more than 6/6.
Tell that to the MLB. Stars get paid more because they are stars. Sign a baseball deal. 30k a year, 7 year deal is starting contract if drafted after 1st round. If you make the MLB, league min is what, 300k yet arod makes 24-27 million. You get paid if you produce. Phone Post 3.0
Hmmm
I don't think so.

Baseball players get a signing bonus maybe and definitely the 30k base salary if they are signed to a development contract that has them playing in the minors (just like Titan fights or Sharks Fights or most regional shows).

If they play in the major leagues (just like fighting in the UFC) then they get a minimum salary of $480,000 as of 2012!

That is quite different than 6 and 6!

So a new UFC fighter could make $36000 to $48000 per year plus any bonuses if they won 3 x per year LESS managers commission, gym fees, training camp costs, travel expenses

I think baseball has it pretty good
UFC fighters not so much plus they get punched in the face.... All the time. Phone Post
5/21/13 8:06 PM
New Leaf 1.0

UGSlapshot - 
Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

If you don't like what an employer is offering you, go work somewhere else. That's the free market. That's the whole cornerstone of conservative ideas. He is being a hypocrite.
I think its ignorant to call what we have (corporatism/ fascism) in America a free market system.

That's the idea we started with before the system became corrupted. Phone Post

a free market and slaves are mutually exclusive.
5/21/13 8:15 PM
jcblass
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/21/13 8:15 PM
Dana will say "Yea but we gave Vitor a used Hummer, you can't say we aren't taking care of the fighters, ask Cain, he got a new f150 on 20's."

This is pocket change and a disgrace. UFC wants to be the "SUPERBOWL OF MIXED MARTIAL ARTS" when in reality the photographer at a Superbowl makes 2x the amount of money as a guy like Volkmann.
5/21/13 8:17 PM
New Leaf 1.0

AlexinTO - 
IIAces -

The UFC's mindset seems to be that when a fighter makes it to the UFC, they've made it to the "show," and all other organizations are merely feeder systems or the "minors." If that's the case, then any fighter who makes it to a UFC card should feel they've achieved something special, and with that, should be compensated accordingly. Base pay should be much more than competing organizations, and more than 6/6.
Tell that to the MLB. Stars get paid more because they are stars. Sign a baseball deal. 30k a year, 7 year deal is starting contract if drafted after 1st round. If you make the MLB, league min is what, 300k yet arod makes 24-27 million. You get paid if you produce. Phone Post 3.0
Hmmm
I don't think so.

Baseball players get a signing bonus maybe and definitely the 30k base salary if they are signed to a development contract that has them playing in the minors (just like Titan fights or Sharks Fights or most regional shows).

If they play in the major leagues (just like fighting in the UFC) then they get a minimum salary of $480,000 as of 2012!

So a new UFC fighter could make $36000 to $48000 per year plus any bonuses if they won 3 x per year LESS managers commission, gym fees, training camp costs, travel expenses

UFC fighters not so much plus they get punched in the face.... All the time. Phone Post

The average salary for a minor league baseball player is less than $30k. A lot of guys in A-Ball are making ~ $1k a month. Even in Triple-A a lot of the guys are making under $2500 a month. It's also a seasonal job, most only get paid during the season and most have to take a part time job in the off season.
5/21/13 8:18 PM
youarewhatiswrong
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

InspiritMick - 

On face value I hate his politics yet I support everything he just said.......

5/21/13 8:19 PM
HexRei

New Leaf 1.0 - 
AlexinTO - 
IIAces -

Hmmm
I don't think so.

The average salary for a minor league baseball player is less than $30k. A lot of guys in A-Ball are making ~ $1k a month. Even in Triple-A a lot of the guys are making under $2500 a month. It's also a seasonal job, most only get paid during the season and most have to take a part time job in the off season.

And guys fighting in regional circuits are going to be making crap too... but they're not the UFC.
5/21/13 8:20 PM
inf0
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fucking guy was a liablilty every time he took the microphone....... I'll give him one thing, it made me interested in his career.. the same way car accidents are hard to turn away from

5/21/13 8:22 PM
New Leaf 1.0

And many of the guys in the UFC are double A level at best. There's more UFC fights to be filled than world class fighters. A better comparison would be to boxing and you'll find UFC payscale is better than boxing pay scale for all but the top guys. Lots of guys fighting on undercards of huge PPV's who would love to make $8k.
5/21/13 8:23 PM
youarewhatiswrong
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skip2MyLou - Jacob Volkmann and John Cholish should team up and work together Phone Post 3.0

We need a third name to add. "Volkman, Cholish and (insert name here), Fighter Advocates at Law"
5/21/13 8:24 PM
New Leaf 1.0

HexRei - 
New Leaf 1.0 - 
AlexinTO - 
IIAces -

Hmmm
I don't think so.

And guys fighting in regional circuits are going to be making crap too... but they're not the UFC.

Big fuckin deal, guys get in the UFC after 4 or 5 fights and 3 years in the sport a lot of the time. You're comparing apples to oranges. Go check out what guys are getting paid down the card at boxing events and tell me how shitty the UFC pays.
5/21/13 8:24 PM
Petey B
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never understand this shit. If the UFC or any company is so awful to work for, don't work for them. This isn't rocket science. I've turned down lots of jobs in my life because they weren't a good deal. Why did he stick with them until he got cut if they were so awful? Shouldn't he have quit?
5/21/13 8:33 PM
IP
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Petey B - I never understand this shit. If the UFC or any company is so awful to work for, don't work for them. This isn't rocket science. I've turned down lots of jobs in my life because they weren't a good deal. Why did he stick with them until he got cut if they were so awful? Shouldn't he have quit?

Because the UFC has no peers. They are a monopoly. If you want to fight for the best organization, against the best competition, well - you're kind of stuck.
5/21/13 8:34 PM
HexRei

New Leaf 1.0 - And many of the guys in the UFC are double A level at best. There's more UFC fights to be filled than world class fighters. A better comparison would be to boxing and you'll find UFC payscale is better than boxing pay scale for all but the top guys. Lots of guys fighting on undercards of huge PPV's who would love to make $8k.

Why on earth is boxing a better comparison when we're talking about talent level? I'd say boxing as sport has a much deeper talent pool worldwide than mma.

Boxing's actually a worse comparison because boxing as a sport is composed of many different promotions (often run in part by the famous boxers that headline their cards) negotiating to put events together, not a single "league" dominating the top talent of the sport and making the decisions more or less unilaterally (like most mainstream sports).
5/21/13 8:36 PM
Matt Phillips
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would venture to say, even at the lowest level, a UFC fighter is making enough to live off of and train full time. It all depends on how ambitious they are and how good their management is. Dont forget to put the "locker room" bonuses in with the contractual obligations, which are significant.

Along with being in the UFC, comes other opportunities from sponsors, after parties, seminars and so on.

5/21/13 8:44 PM
fedro
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate him but he's right. UFC needs to pay these guy more than they do. MINIMUM a fighter should get in the UFC should be 15-20g's per fight without endorsements Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 9:06 PM
Fan of fanboys
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

If you don't like what an employer is offering you, go work somewhere else. That's the free market. That's the whole cornerstone of conservative ideas. He is being a hypocrite.
Whoa
Don't let facts get in the way of Jacob having a chance to be an asshole Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 9:07 PM
Fan of fanboys
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IP -
Petey B - I never understand this shit. If the UFC or any company is so awful to work for, don't work for them. This isn't rocket science. I've turned down lots of jobs in my life because they weren't a good deal. Why did he stick with them until he got cut if they were so awful? Shouldn't he have quit?

Because the UFC has no peers. They are a monopoly. If you want to fight for the best organization, against the best competition, well - you're kind of stuck.
Not stuck. Don't have to be a fighter.
Be a trainer. Or get a regular job. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 9:09 PM
cdmontgo
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New Leaf 1.0 - And many of the guys in the UFC are double A level at best. There's more UFC fights to be filled than world class fighters. A better comparison would be to boxing and you'll find UFC payscale is better than boxing pay scale for all but the top guys. Lots of guys fighting on undercards of huge PPV's who would love to make $8k.

Umm, no they're not.

The UFC chooses to brand itself as the premier MMA league, the big show. They did that, and they really are that. They are making big league money, so when a fighter makes it to the big leagues, that means they should be making big league money. It is ridiculous to argue that big league money doesn't mean you won't be able to enjoy at least a comfortable middle class lifestyle off of your base pay.
5/21/13 9:10 PM
Fan of fanboys

FixedPartialArts - So he's only anti Obama's policies when they don't appear to benefit him personally? Now all of a sudden the coverage that is provided through employers is unfair and inadequate. He's exposing himself most of all.
This Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 9:15 PM
HexRei

Edited: 05/21/13 9:16 PM
whoops wrong thread.
5/21/13 9:20 PM
Kostakio
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love this guy. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 9:23 PM
HELWIG

Dude ended McKee's sick streak

5/21/13 9:26 PM
ender852
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

spot on and vote up

5/21/13 9:36 PM
UGCTT_Clown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ed Kapp - 

AboveAndBeyondMMA.com: Were you expecting to be released?

Jacob Volkmann: No, no. I said in a few interviews that I did expect it, but I was just playing with the media. I had no idea.

AABMMA: How can a fighter go 6-2 and still be released?

JV: You tell me. Politics, my friend.

AABMMA: Are you at all bitter about how things worked out with the UFC?

JV: Very bitter. They always claim that they treat the fighters so well. Yeah, they treat the top five per cent of the fighters well — the ones that are on the main card all the time. They don’t treat the rest of them very well. The healthcare plan is horrible, with a $1,500 deductible per injury — the catastrophic-injury insurance is not even really good insurance. There’s no retirement fund, there’s no signing bonus. You start off at six-and-six, you’re really not making too much money because you’re self-employed, so you’re paying the self-employment tax and you’re paying the regular tax and income tax. So you’re paying twice as much in tax. They claim they’re treating the fighters well, but they’re not, realistically.

http://aboveandbeyondmma.com/?p=582

6-2?

more like 6-4

5/21/13 9:42 PM
Jsteven
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IIAces -

First round picks are making a lot more than 30k Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.