UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jacob Volkmann on mission to "expose" UFC

5/22/13 2:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChaosOverkill
591 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/22/13 2:35 AM
Matt Phillips - 

Along with a UFC contract comes better sponsors, paid appearances, paid after parties and getting paid for seminars.

If a fighter makes the most of his time in the UFC, he can capitalize on all of that.

Also, having the "UFC veteran" title can get you a good payday in the independent shows if you end up like Mr. Volkmann.

Yeah but the average new comer to the UFC without a huge profile is going to have avery hard time finding sponsors.

Matt Wiman is a UFC vet and he cannot get any sponsors, and I doubt he's not trying he's been at this a long time.

A guy like Cholish has no profile to attract sponsors and a few good fights aren't the solution. Only hype and making the upper echelon after a long run can help that, and at 4,000 a newcommer is not fairly paid. DOuble it and a 3 fight year with 3 wins equals 48,000. That's a decent place to be

And the more fights you need to have a decent financial year the less time for seminars and extra income you have.

5/22/13 2:35 AM
dubate
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

easedel -
dubate - 
powerful mary jane - also he didnt make much noise when he was there. only cos he got cut he pipes up. But lets be honest he wasnt fighting top top guys and when he was he was getting beat thiago and kampmann.
Well I understand why he wasn't talking about the UFC when he was with the organization, that wouldn't be very smary. However he was a mid level talent that made 50k a year (not too many people can be a below average worker in their company a make that kind of money) plus he had the ability to work a second job to supplement that income. Phone Post

When you have to work a second job to supplement your 1st job...is it really worth it?

Say you make 50k a year on 3 fights. How much of that goes to taxes, medical, training?
Well he said that after taxes he made 45k. So if you supplement that with coaching at a gym or private lessons (from a UFC fighter no less) it seems like you could easily add another 20-30k to that number without too much difficulty. Phone Post
5/22/13 2:37 AM
dubate
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DiazsBongWater -
attjack - It's entertainment. If you're not entertaining you might get cut.
Unless you're fantastically good looking, then you make millions.

Ref. GsP Phone Post 3.0
Patrick Cote wants to know why he isn't rich like GSP then. Phone Post
5/22/13 2:37 AM
GIBB0
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters on the undercard minimum should be $8000 show, plus win bonus, sponsors etc.

Fighters on the main card should be $50,000 plus win bonus etc.

There should be a retirement plan for long service. A $50k signing bonus and severance.

Most of this might be already the case under the table, though. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 2:40 AM
Argo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dubate - 
KingofBJJ -

Good luck trying to convince the fanboys that White's nuts aren't huggable.  We have been trying to let everyone know that the UFC has made its name on the backs of its fighters.  $50k a year to fight?  McDonald's store manager makes that without bonuses.  A Walmart store manager makes $100k a year.

At least he made $50k when many fighters are making a mere $5k per fight.  Sonnen made $30k to fight Silva after promoting with his mouth.

Meanwhile boxers are making six figures for being just mediocre in the top organizations (WBA, WBC).

I'm sorry, did you just say that a McDonald's store manager makes 50k a year? Phone Post

He also said that Sonnen only made $30K to fight Silva. So his utter stupidity has no limits.
5/22/13 2:49 AM
dubate

Argo -
dubate - 
KingofBJJ -

Good luck trying to convince the fanboys that White's nuts aren't huggable.  We have been trying to let everyone know that the UFC has made its name on the backs of its fighters.  $50k a year to fight?  McDonald's store manager makes that without bonuses.  A Walmart store manager makes $100k a year.

At least he made $50k when many fighters are making a mere $5k per fight.  Sonnen made $30k to fight Silva after promoting with his mouth.

Meanwhile boxers are making six figures for being just mediocre in the top organizations (WBA, WBC).

I'm sorry, did you just say that a McDonald's store manager makes 50k a year? Phone Post

He also said that Sonnen only made $30K to fight Silva. So his utter stupidity has no limits.
Seriously, do people actually think that is the case? Are there really fight fans out there who think Sonnen did all that work for 30k? Phone Post
5/22/13 3:11 AM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Argo -
dubate - 
KingofBJJ -

Lmfao Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 4:51 AM
Dominated
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
5/22/13 5:31 AM
SonOfThePeepHole

Spin it dana Phone Post
5/22/13 5:53 AM
Don_Dada
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Volkmann. Need more guys like him to speak up. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 6:13 AM
Megatherium
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's right about the way they have taken the traditional grappling/wrestling core of the old game out of mma with the frequent audience directed standups. It's a different sport today thanks to ZUFFA. Kind of like kickboxing, with much more rudimentary technique. World class kickboxing blows it away as a spectator sport.
5/22/13 6:18 AM
ss_thai
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CormierCrackSniffer - Why don't the ufc drop the real fucking numbers on us then??

You know why?

Because then there would be open dialogue on hard numbers.

With all of this bullshit under the table "bonuses" then all that bald has to do when questioned on the shit pay that the fighters make is say:

(insert locker room bonus remark)

If the ufc was really a good company to work for then why are all these guys coming out with all of these negative reviews of the company.

The ufc is greedy and the bottom line is $$$. . .Not fighters health or future well being.

Its bullshit the way that the pay is ran and I for one believe that the IRS should be looking into the shady practices of this company. Phone Post
I think they don't release the full pay of all the fighters because they don't have to. Personally I'd prefer that my salary stays private and I believe that would also be the case of the majority of the fighters.

If the fighters want to release the full details of their pay, they're free to. I think the UFC is doing the right thing by the fighters in that regard.

I would like to see an increase in the minimum pay for fighters though, it would help make MMA a more viable career option for talented athletes, this increasing the quality of fighter we get to watch.

That being said I might be completely full of shit. Just my 0.02. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 6:28 AM
powerful mary jane

Good luck volkmann if u suddenly disappear one day i wont be suprised. Your going up against the machine... Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 6:29 AM
Megatherium
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ss_thai - 
CormierCrackSniffer - Why don't the ufc drop the real fucking numbers on us then??

You know why?

Because then there would be open dialogue on hard numbers.

With all of this bullshit under the table "bonuses" then all that bald has to do when questioned on the shit pay that the fighters make is say:

(insert locker room bonus remark)

If the ufc was really a good company to work for then why are all these guys coming out with all of these negative reviews of the company.

The ufc is greedy and the bottom line is $$$. . .Not fighters health or future well being.

Its bullshit the way that the pay is ran and I for one believe that the IRS should be looking into the shady practices of this company. Phone Post
I think they don't release the full pay of all the fighters because they don't have to. Personally I'd prefer that my salary stays private and I believe that would also be the case of the majority of the fighters.

If the fighters want to release the full details of their pay, they're free to. I think the UFC is doing the right thing by the fighters in that regard.

I would like to see an increase in the minimum pay for fighters though, it would help make MMA a more viable career option for talented athletes, this increasing the quality of fighter we get to watch.

That being said I might be completely full of shit. Just my 0.02. Phone Post 3.0

The first things player union do when the are certified is call for public salary disclosure. drives salaries up. Salaries soared when corrupt Alan Eagleson was ousted from the NHL players union and the new leadership made salaries public.

Public disclosure of athlete pay is just common sense for pro athletes today. All player unions DEMAND it!
5/22/13 6:42 AM
Megatherium

I should add that within two years of salary disclosure being instituted by the NHL union in 1989, the number of millionaire hockey players jumped from 2 to 33. It's hard for agents to establish valid comparables to similarly talented peers with available salary data. Disclosing salaries benefits the fighters, and hinders the teams in contract negotiations.
5/22/13 6:44 AM
Megatherium

without available data, that is.
5/22/13 6:47 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Why do folk think the UFC has to alter its pay structure?

Hey fighters!!

Don't like the contract? Don't like the money on offer? Think you deserve more?

Then don't fucking sign!!! Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 6:49 AM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/22/13 6:50 AM
Megatherium - I should add that within two years of salary disclosure being instituted by the NHL union in 1989, the number of millionaire hockey players jumped from 2 to 33. It's hard for agents to establish valid comparables to similarly talented peers with available salary data. Disclosing salaries benefits the fighters, and hinders the teams in contract negotiations.

Yup.

Any other justification is nonsense.

An added bonus to the disclosures--the leagues created a cottage industry of arm-chair GM's who debate and discuss the sport year round. . . it increases interest in the sport.

5/22/13 7:02 AM
trobinson21

Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

If you don't like what an employer is offering you, go work somewhere else. That's the free market. That's the whole cornerstone of conservative ideas. He is being a hypocrite.
Is that what Huffington Post told you conservatives think? Facepalm. Phone Post
5/22/13 7:03 AM
shark tank
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have taught high school for 8 years and still don't make what Volkmann is complaining that he makes. If $42,000 is just above poverty, I am living in poverty.
5/22/13 7:16 AM
Blipty_Blurred
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Breaking news, Volkmann exposes how the UFC prefers exciting fighters. He also reviles that $50k per year is practically poverty.
Ground breaking!! Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 7:19 AM
drrilll
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't what he was making like double the poverty level? I see nothing wrong with those numbers if you love what you do. He could always go lift boxes in a warehouse, make less money and work more hours. I understand he is bitter, but as far as expose's go, this one is a little lacking.
5/22/13 7:38 AM
Porkchop

He didn't realize that there was politics in MMA? How bout he shuts the fuck up then about Obama after all his fights....
5/22/13 7:41 AM
Devlin
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shark tank - I have taught high school for 8 years and still don't make what Volkmann is complaining that he makes. If $42,000 is just above poverty, I am living in poverty.
This, is 42,000 really poverty level cash in america? Phone Post
5/22/13 7:56 AM
Authority Figure

Ed Kapp - 

AboveAndBeyondMMA.com: Were you expecting to be released?

Jacob Volkmann: No, no. I said in a few interviews that I did expect it, but I was just playing with the media. I had no idea.

AABMMA: How can a fighter go 6-2 and still be released?

JV: You tell me. Politics, my friend.

AABMMA: Are you at all bitter about how things worked out with the UFC?

JV: Very bitter. They always claim that they treat the fighters so well. Yeah, they treat the top five per cent of the fighters well — the ones that are on the main card all the time. They don’t treat the rest of them very well. The healthcare plan is horrible, with a $1,500 deductible per injury — the catastrophic-injury insurance is not even really good insurance. There’s no retirement fund, there’s no signing bonus. You start off at six-and-six, you’re really not making too much money because you’re self-employed, so you’re paying the self-employment tax and you’re paying the regular tax and income tax. So you’re paying twice as much in tax. They claim they’re treating the fighters well, but they’re not, realistically.

http://aboveandbeyondmma.com/?p=582

• Owned my own business for 12 years. No such thing as self employed people paying tax twice. Fucking lie.
  • Why the hell would a fight promotion have a retirement plan for guys who will usually retire in their 30s? lol
  • Signing bonus? Can anyone say "entitlement"??
  • For a guy that's ultra conservative, JV sounds like a bad welfare recipient. All gripes and expectations. No facts.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.