UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jacob Volkmann on mission to "expose" UFC

5/22/13 8:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MT11
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Absolute minimum a fighter should make in 1 fight for the UFC is 25k Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 8:31 AM
Fan of fanboys
347 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree the min should be higher but only a handful of guys ever complain about UFC once they leave. There are zero jobs where every ex employee is happy. Heck didn't Adrian Peterson compare himself to a slave a few years ago? And Latrell Sprewell talked about not being about to buy groceries for his family while making over $14 million!
Basically certain people just bitch and moan. Jacob is a whiner. Can hear it in all his interviews. Poor poor him.
Most guys in UFC seem happy. Will know more as time goes on. But many have said got paid more than contract. Most seem happy keeping income to themselves.
Those making argument about numbers being public such as via a union: 1) fighters are welcome to make public 2) they aren't using that income info to compete against other teams. So it means less in UFC to be public than in a league with multiple bidders
I would rather a job that offered me well rounded compensation plan but no union than one with a union anyway.
Considering Jacob was 6-4, not a fan favorite (meaning not making UFC money), lost two of last three to Paul Sass and Bobby Green (no disrespect but not exactly world beaters or big names), and his general negative attitude why would or should UFC pay him more? He was contributing very little.
Popular guys, elite talent, good fun guys. That's who gets paid, that's who the UFC wants. Look at Hardy and Garcia. They each lost a bunch. But good attitudes and popular. Made up for lack of elite talent. So they get more chances. And I bet if they gave honest answer would be happy with their income. Just speculation, of course
5/22/13 8:34 AM
Fan of fanboys
347 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just checked out Jacob's record
6-4
Three losses he was finished
2 of his wins were split decisions.
1 of his wins he finished opponent.
He is 2 steps away from 4-4.
Add in boring style and bad attitude why does he deserve more?
5/22/13 8:35 AM
Garv
396 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ban April 1st, Please!

5/22/13 8:57 AM
Johnny D
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

If you don't like what an employer is offering you, go work somewhere else. That's the free market. That's the whole cornerstone of conservative ideas. He is being a hypocrite.
C'mon are you kidding me ?? You mean there are hard core conservatives that are hypocrites ?? I never knew. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 9:02 AM
saemskin

no such thing as a "self employment tax"
sorry volkmann, try again...
5/22/13 9:04 AM
saemskin

Edited: 05/22/13 9:06 AM
oh, and 42,000 nearly poverty?

http://www.familiesusa.org/resources/tools-for-advocates/guides/federal-poverty-guidelines.html

Try again Captain Dumbass, I know ALOT of people that would be very happy making that much a year.<br /><br />Does Volkmann have 12 kids?
5/22/13 9:07 AM
IamPUBLICaboutMYloveFORrap

Devlin -
shark tank - I have taught high school for 8 years and still don't make what Volkmann is complaining that he makes. If $42,000 is just above poverty, I am living in poverty.
This, is 42,000 really poverty level cash in america? Phone Post
my uncle has a house hold of 11 he provides for and only makes 20g so this guy needs to shut up Phone Post
5/22/13 9:08 AM
12SixElbow
623 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

saemskin - no such thing as a "self employment tax"

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Self-Employment-Tax-%28Social-Security-and-Medicare-Taxes%29

What is Self-Employment Tax?

Self-employment tax is a tax consisting of Social Security and Medicare taxes primarily for individuals who work for themselves. It is similar to the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from the pay of most wage earners.

You figure self-employment tax (SE tax) yourself using Schedule SE (Form 1040). Social Security and Medicare taxes of most wage earners are figured by their employers. Also you can deduct the employer-equivalent portion your SE tax in figuring your adjusted gross income. Wage earners cannot deduct Social Security and Medicare taxes.

5/22/13 9:10 AM
RalliArt

Fuck the UFC's fighter pay while Dana has a Ferrari, 6/6 as your first fights? Fuck that, UG last time I said something like this you froze me, well fucking ban me this time because this sport and it's fans makes me sick. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 9:13 AM
RICKYB
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

attjack - It's entertainment. If you're not entertaining you might get cut.
Then the UFC should stop with drug testing , safety and rankings. If its not a sport then why bother. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 9:17 AM
Garv
396 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ban April 1st, Please!

I'd rather see Arianny and Brittany exposed.

5/22/13 9:19 AM
Baboo Baby
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"So you wanna be a fucking fighter?" -dfw

Best of.luck to you Jacob, you just burnt the bridge to your future though. Phone Post
5/22/13 9:24 AM
jojoblue
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

If you don't like what an employer is offering you, go work somewhere else. That's the free market. That's the whole cornerstone of conservative ideas. He is being a hypocrite.
^^^^
This Phone Post
5/22/13 9:38 AM
saemskin

12SixElbow - 
saemskin - no such thing as a "self employment tax"

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Self-Employment-Tax-%28Social-Security-and-Medicare-Taxes%29

What is Self-Employment Tax?

Self-employment tax is a tax consisting of Social Security and Medicare taxes primarily for individuals who work for themselves. It is similar to the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from the pay of most wage earners.

You figure self-employment tax (SE tax) yourself using Schedule SE (Form 1040). Social Security and Medicare taxes of most wage earners are figured by their employers. Also you can deduct the employer-equivalent portion your SE tax in figuring your adjusted gross income. Wage earners cannot deduct Social Security and Medicare taxes.

it's the same tax we all have to pay anyway, so him implying he is paying something *extra* than the rest of us is baloney.
5/22/13 9:42 AM
cdmontgo
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They have to pay the employer side of it too.
Whambo
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nhdjoseywales - SO if thats true, then he makes a Chiropractor salary, a coaches salary, extra money from extra coaching and he got 40k+ a year from UFC. is this guy really complaining he cant make a living doing all that shit? If the "third job" isnt paying what you want then quit ya retard. He really does come off as a whiny ass conservative douchebag who wants it all for themselves and none for others.

Lol the shills are coming out strong on this one. He makes basically no money as a chiropractor, and something tells me his part time coaching gig isn't a huge pay day I dunno...

Either way that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, you're just trying to justify why the UFC pays so shitty. The UFC has a right to fire him, but he has just as much right to bitch about how they were a shitty employer.

There's always going to be some friction between the sport purists, and those who view the UFC more like the WWE. Maybe the UFC cutting guys like Fitch and Volkmann isn't a big deal to the WWE types, but I don't like seeing guys who are still competitive in the division cut, while other guys can go on 5 fight losing streaks and stay, and others get title shots after they lose because they can talk like a WWE Star.

SmackyBear
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 

THe sport with the closest comparable numbers is the MLS

similar revenue bracket and in fact doublt the athletes in the MLS than ufc and Minimum in the MLS is 35,000 or so last check.

3 fights at 4,000 with win bonus doesn't even come close if taken as an average for lower fighters fights per year and Cholish's pay. Win 8,000 per is 24,000 a year at 3 fights.

I'm not saying I don't think the UFC could pay more to it's fighters. This is just about the comparison between the two.

I know the league has been doing better recently, but doesn't the MLS lose money? Despite most of the teams having their cities help them build their stadiums? I know the Fire's stadium is wholly owned by some town that is now in debt for like $250M due to the stadium falling short in revenue generation.
5/22/13 9:53 AM
Megatherium
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hate to see a big mouth fat ass hauling in millions while the athletes scrape by. Who doesn't

Maybe God Almighty will strike the fat ass with butt cancer or somethin'. You know, even things up a little.
5/22/13 10:11 AM
whoabro

Just when you thought volkmann couldnt be a bigger dolt or more of loudmouth, this... Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 10:19 AM
Megatherium
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trifive - This is a cut throat business and I hate whiney fighters. Back in the day when there was no money in it, the fighters fought because they loved to do it and it was exciting. Now most fighters fight because it's a fad, it's the thing to do, and they are chasing the possible, but never guaranteed, big pay day and fame. But they don't truly love to fight. And it shows.

Then they bitch cuz fans like me don't want to watch two people dry hump on the ground. That's right...I DON'T!! You don't get to tell me what's exciting and what's not. I record all fights now so that when two lame as wanna bees are dry humping each other doing nothing I fast forward through it. I don't even watch that many fights anymore because the fighters aren't that exciting as they used to be.

So fuck you Volkemann, go get a real job for crying out loud. You didn't make, it's OK, you tried and I respect that, but I don't respect you trying to "expose" the UFC to the fans because you weren't exciting enough to keep around.

Rant off.

Thing is, "back in the day when there was no money in it", the fights were about 90% on the ground "dry humping" and ten percent Leonard Garcia-ing on the feet. Now I can't tell you "what's exciting and what's not", but you sure must have hated watching fighting "back in the day when fighters fought" for fucking peanuts. Because they sure as fuck didn't stand the fight up every thirty seconds when the crowd started booing.
5/22/13 10:19 AM
HoneyBadger305
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ufc starter pay is insulting. What other sports organization in the world starts off prof athletes fighting on Cable television at 6/6 thats crazy talk. We are prize fighters and the prize in the ufc for most fighters outside of the top ten is no priZe at all. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 10:25 AM
DaleSonnen

How come he's not getting asked questions like "So do you think your a exciting fighter to watch in the Octagon?" The guy would never be able to sell PPV's or sell out arena's.. ever... UFC was probably looking for an excuse to get rid of him.
5/22/13 10:33 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, an adult who has made the decision to support his family via being an MMA fighter-- which, lets be honest is a risky and short-term proposition at best-- is complaining that the company he willingly signed a contract with did not provide him with the Cadillac of wealth, retirement and insurance plans after he was a rather boring 6 and 2 record.

Wow. He is anything but a conservative. He is a little whiney ladyman.

Go to college, if you are smart enough, and get a real job.
5/22/13 10:39 AM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

So much this.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.