UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jacob Volkmann on mission to "expose" UFC

5/22/13 6:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Macedawgg
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/22/13 6:50 AM
Megatherium - I should add that within two years of salary disclosure being instituted by the NHL union in 1989, the number of millionaire hockey players jumped from 2 to 33. It's hard for agents to establish valid comparables to similarly talented peers with available salary data. Disclosing salaries benefits the fighters, and hinders the teams in contract negotiations.

Yup.

Any other justification is nonsense.

An added bonus to the disclosures--the leagues created a cottage industry of arm-chair GM's who debate and discuss the sport year round. . . it increases interest in the sport.

5/22/13 7:02 AM
trobinson21
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

If you don't like what an employer is offering you, go work somewhere else. That's the free market. That's the whole cornerstone of conservative ideas. He is being a hypocrite.
Is that what Huffington Post told you conservatives think? Facepalm. Phone Post
5/22/13 7:03 AM
shark tank
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have taught high school for 8 years and still don't make what Volkmann is complaining that he makes. If $42,000 is just above poverty, I am living in poverty.
5/22/13 7:16 AM
Blipty_Blurred
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Breaking news, Volkmann exposes how the UFC prefers exciting fighters. He also reviles that $50k per year is practically poverty.
Ground breaking!! Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 7:19 AM
drrilll
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't what he was making like double the poverty level? I see nothing wrong with those numbers if you love what you do. He could always go lift boxes in a warehouse, make less money and work more hours. I understand he is bitter, but as far as expose's go, this one is a little lacking.
5/22/13 7:38 AM
Porkchop

He didn't realize that there was politics in MMA? How bout he shuts the fuck up then about Obama after all his fights....
5/22/13 7:41 AM
Devlin
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shark tank - I have taught high school for 8 years and still don't make what Volkmann is complaining that he makes. If $42,000 is just above poverty, I am living in poverty.
This, is 42,000 really poverty level cash in america? Phone Post
5/22/13 7:56 AM
Authority Figure

Ed Kapp - 

AboveAndBeyondMMA.com: Were you expecting to be released?

Jacob Volkmann: No, no. I said in a few interviews that I did expect it, but I was just playing with the media. I had no idea.

AABMMA: How can a fighter go 6-2 and still be released?

JV: You tell me. Politics, my friend.

AABMMA: Are you at all bitter about how things worked out with the UFC?

JV: Very bitter. They always claim that they treat the fighters so well. Yeah, they treat the top five per cent of the fighters well — the ones that are on the main card all the time. They don’t treat the rest of them very well. The healthcare plan is horrible, with a $1,500 deductible per injury — the catastrophic-injury insurance is not even really good insurance. There’s no retirement fund, there’s no signing bonus. You start off at six-and-six, you’re really not making too much money because you’re self-employed, so you’re paying the self-employment tax and you’re paying the regular tax and income tax. So you’re paying twice as much in tax. They claim they’re treating the fighters well, but they’re not, realistically.

http://aboveandbeyondmma.com/?p=582

• Owned my own business for 12 years. No such thing as self employed people paying tax twice. Fucking lie.
  • Why the hell would a fight promotion have a retirement plan for guys who will usually retire in their 30s? lol
  • Signing bonus? Can anyone say "entitlement"??
  • For a guy that's ultra conservative, JV sounds like a bad welfare recipient. All gripes and expectations. No facts.
5/22/13 8:02 AM
Jone2tone
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

drrilll - Isn't what he was making like double the poverty level? I see nothing wrong with those numbers if you love what you do. He could always go lift boxes in a warehouse, make less money and work more hours. I understand he is bitter, but as far as expose's go, this one is a little lacking.
Also, don't forget that he runs a Chiropractic firm. He's not solely relying on his winnings to support his family, they're a supplement. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 8:10 AM
Authority Figure

He's far from broke. He thinks the world owes him something. It doesn't. 

5/22/13 8:10 AM
nhdjoseywales

SO if thats true, then he makes a Chiropractor salary, a coaches salary, extra money from extra coaching and he got 40k+ a year from UFC. is this guy really complaining he cant make a living doing all that shit? If the "third job" isnt paying what you want then quit ya retard. He really does come off as a whiny ass conservative douchebag who wants it all for themselves and none for others.
5/22/13 8:12 AM
MT11

Absolute minimum a fighter should make in 1 fight for the UFC is 25k Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 8:31 AM
Fan of fanboys
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree the min should be higher but only a handful of guys ever complain about UFC once they leave. There are zero jobs where every ex employee is happy. Heck didn't Adrian Peterson compare himself to a slave a few years ago? And Latrell Sprewell talked about not being about to buy groceries for his family while making over $14 million!
Basically certain people just bitch and moan. Jacob is a whiner. Can hear it in all his interviews. Poor poor him.
Most guys in UFC seem happy. Will know more as time goes on. But many have said got paid more than contract. Most seem happy keeping income to themselves.
Those making argument about numbers being public such as via a union: 1) fighters are welcome to make public 2) they aren't using that income info to compete against other teams. So it means less in UFC to be public than in a league with multiple bidders
I would rather a job that offered me well rounded compensation plan but no union than one with a union anyway.
Considering Jacob was 6-4, not a fan favorite (meaning not making UFC money), lost two of last three to Paul Sass and Bobby Green (no disrespect but not exactly world beaters or big names), and his general negative attitude why would or should UFC pay him more? He was contributing very little.
Popular guys, elite talent, good fun guys. That's who gets paid, that's who the UFC wants. Look at Hardy and Garcia. They each lost a bunch. But good attitudes and popular. Made up for lack of elite talent. So they get more chances. And I bet if they gave honest answer would be happy with their income. Just speculation, of course
5/22/13 8:34 AM
Fan of fanboys
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just checked out Jacob's record
6-4
Three losses he was finished
2 of his wins were split decisions.
1 of his wins he finished opponent.
He is 2 steps away from 4-4.
Add in boring style and bad attitude why does he deserve more?
5/22/13 8:35 AM
Garv
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ban April 1st, Please!

5/22/13 8:57 AM
Johnny D
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haadogei - i think it's ironic to be a staunch conservative and then complain about your rights as a worker in our free market society.

If you don't like what an employer is offering you, go work somewhere else. That's the free market. That's the whole cornerstone of conservative ideas. He is being a hypocrite.
C'mon are you kidding me ?? You mean there are hard core conservatives that are hypocrites ?? I never knew. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 9:02 AM
saemskin

no such thing as a "self employment tax"
sorry volkmann, try again...
5/22/13 9:04 AM
saemskin

Edited: 05/22/13 9:06 AM
oh, and 42,000 nearly poverty?

http://www.familiesusa.org/resources/tools-for-advocates/guides/federal-poverty-guidelines.html

Try again Captain Dumbass, I know ALOT of people that would be very happy making that much a year.<br /><br />Does Volkmann have 12 kids?
5/22/13 9:07 AM
IamPUBLICaboutMYloveFORrap

Devlin -
shark tank - I have taught high school for 8 years and still don't make what Volkmann is complaining that he makes. If $42,000 is just above poverty, I am living in poverty.
This, is 42,000 really poverty level cash in america? Phone Post
my uncle has a house hold of 11 he provides for and only makes 20g so this guy needs to shut up Phone Post
5/22/13 9:08 AM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

saemskin - no such thing as a "self employment tax"
sorry volkmann, try again...

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Self-Employment-Tax-%28Social-Security-and-Medicare-Taxes%29

What is Self-Employment Tax?

Self-employment tax is a tax consisting of Social Security and Medicare taxes primarily for individuals who work for themselves. It is similar to the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from the pay of most wage earners.

You figure self-employment tax (SE tax) yourself using Schedule SE (Form 1040). Social Security and Medicare taxes of most wage earners are figured by their employers. Also you can deduct the employer-equivalent portion your SE tax in figuring your adjusted gross income. Wage earners cannot deduct Social Security and Medicare taxes.

5/22/13 9:10 AM
RalliArt

Fuck the UFC's fighter pay while Dana has a Ferrari, 6/6 as your first fights? Fuck that, UG last time I said something like this you froze me, well fucking ban me this time because this sport and it's fans makes me sick. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 9:13 AM
RICKYB
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

attjack - It's entertainment. If you're not entertaining you might get cut.
Then the UFC should stop with drug testing , safety and rankings. If its not a sport then why bother. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 9:17 AM
Garv
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ban April 1st, Please!

I'd rather see Arianny and Brittany exposed.

5/22/13 9:19 AM
Baboo Baby
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"So you wanna be a fucking fighter?" -dfw

Best of.luck to you Jacob, you just burnt the bridge to your future though. Phone Post
5/22/13 9:24 AM
jojoblue
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^
This Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.