UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The best MW in the world nearly signed with Bellie

5/21/13 4:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/the_main_event/flap_top_contender_weidman_nearly_xqgTXvv3bnqzFC0e1C8NlN#axzz2Txkw3PmQ

Chris Weidman says he felt "betrayed" by Bellator when executives were not honest about his contract.

The pen was ready on the table. Reservations were made for a celebration dinner. Chris Weidman was all set to sign with Bellator.

And then he didn’t.

Everyone’s chic pick to dethrone Anderson Silva in July and win the UFC middleweight title almost never fought for the UFC in the first place.

In early 2011, Weidman, a native of Baldwin, Long Island, had a contract in hand with Bellator and every intention of signing it. A night out with his family was planned for high-end Bryant & Cooper Steakhouse in Roslyn. Weidman’s uncle, a lawyer, was just going to browse the document one last time. Nothing more than a formality.

But in the type he found a way that the life of the contract could be extended to three or four years, Weidman said. Initially, Bellator brass promised him it would be a two-year deal.

“I felt like I was betrayed by them,” Weidman told The Post in a sitdown interview. … “They never told me that. It was a little sneaky.”

The former Hoftsra wrestling All-American was crushed. He had his heart set on signing with a growing organization and, with a wife and two kids to support, making some decent money.

“I was so upset,” Weidman said. “I was so let down. I was excited to go to Bellator.”

Bellator, through a spokesman, declined comment on Weidman’s claims. The organization has come under fire recently by fighters for alleged business practices. Bellator, owned by media giant Viacom, is currently in litigation with former lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez over the wording of his contract. There was also controversy recently about whether former UFC fighter Leonard Garcia was offered a Bellator contract. He says he was and turned it down; Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said he was not.

None of that has mattered to Weidman, because less than a week after painfully turning down Bellator, he got a call from the UFC. Two separate men, Maiquel Falcao and Rafael Natal, had injuries force them out of a middleweight fight with Alessio Sakara at UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann in Louisville, Ky., which would air on national television. They needed a replacement and Weidman, despite nursing a broken wrist, didn’t hesitate.

He took the fight and ended up dominating Sakara with his wrestling, winning a unanimous decision. Weidman won twice more in 2011, both via submission, and a top prospect was born.

5/21/13 5:13 PM
sparkuri

"Everyone's chic pick to dethrone Anderson"

LMAO Phone Post
5/21/13 5:17 PM
BobD
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman's uncle is correct.  The Bellator contracts I've seen run 24 months from the 'effective date', but automatically extend for lessor of 12 months or 3 fights if the fighter wins or is runner up in a tournament.  The contract extends for an additionaly 12 months or 3 fights if the fighter is declared champion of his weight class.

5/21/13 5:28 PM
SRTGEO

Sounds like some great testimony for Eddie Alvarez.
5/21/13 5:37 PM
MMALOGIC

sounds like the best decision he ever made was turning down the bellator contract.

also the reason why alot of top prospects dont sign with bellator's slave contract.
5/21/13 5:43 PM
Chris27

Waiting for Bjorn to say they didnt offer him a deal, the phantom Bellator rep did.
5/21/13 5:53 PM
ABE FROMAN
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best Middleweight until he gets beat by the best Middleweight and Goku will have to present another argument against Anderson.

Will TTT on that day.

5/21/13 5:56 PM
Pride Wanderlei

RobinVanRooney - Weidman has never beat a top 5 opponent LOL
Munoz and Maia? Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 5:57 PM
Chris27

Pride Wanderlei - 
RobinVanRooney - Weidman has never beat a top 5 opponent LOL
Munoz and Maia? Phone Post 3.0

Believe Munoz was top 5 at the time, not sure about Maia, def top 10 at the time he beat him though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.