UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters Being jerks to Fans

5/22/13 3:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheOneDylanThomas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/22/13 3:18 PM

I've read here and on other forums about fighters who have a reputation for being dickish with fans; ex. Hughes, Shamrock, Sylvia, Randy, etc. But has anyone ever personally experienced this?

I've met Hughes and Sylvia and both were incredibly cool and engaging. Besides those two, I've met maybe 20 total fighters and have never had a single poor experience.

Dana and Renzo were probably the most awesome. Met Dana in 2006 after the US v/s Canada weigh ins. I was a TUF noob and a starstruck hayseed tourist from SC visiting Vegas for the first time. Asked for a picture and he not only obliged but talked with me for five minutes. Never broke eye contact even though we were surrounded by other fans. Lorenzo or Frank was in the conversation too. (I didn't know who the Fertittas were at the time. Doh.) But they didn't have to spend so much time with me. Didnt benefit them one iota. There was nothing extraordinary about me. Great moment. I don't think Dana gets the credit he deserves for his interactions with fans.

I guess I'm a bit skeptical of the "fighter x" is a dick to his fans stories. I've only had positive experiences.
5/22/13 3:14 PM
MediumRareMistake
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bones took home my designated driver and her friend to his hotel in Edmonton while my buddies and I had to cab home. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 3:18 PM
HolyHackZack
418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw Josh Barnett at the last Seattle fights an no one seemed to recognize him. I said 'Hey Josh...' and his buddy kind of put his hand in my face like 'keep walking'. I think it was his buddy getting a little overzelous, definetly not saying it was Josh's fault.

5/22/13 3:18 PM
MEOWticket
442 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theloser187 -
MediumRareMistake - Bones took home my designated driver and her friend to his hotel in Edmonton while my buddies and I had to cab home. Phone Post 3.0

LOL!!! I love BOnes. True alpha.
Does he still reject signing ufc replica belts? Phone Post
5/22/13 3:21 PM
TheOneDylanThomas

From another thread. My Hughes moment; Favorite ever:

USA v/s Canada (don't recall the number). Went to the weigh ins and was able to meet a lot of fighters that I had watched over the years. I had a great time but was a little bummed that I didn't get to meet my favorite fighter (Hughes). It was my last night in LV and decided to grab dinner at House of Blues before I called it a night. While the server was walking my girlfriend and I to our table, my gf started poking my ribs and pointed over to a small table in the middle of the room where Matt Hughes and three other people were eating. Waited for him to finish his meal and walked over starstruck and nervous and asked for a picture. He could not have been more gracious. Got the picture, briefly talked to him, and he slapped me on my back and thanked me for being a fan. Definitely my favorite Hughes moment and why I am skeptical when I hear stories of him being a dick to other fans.
5/22/13 3:24 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
theloser187 - The only time I have seen fighters act like dicks is when the "fans" are obnoxious. Some fighters have shown incredible restraint in dealing with the typical douche bag UFC fan.

This

5/22/13 3:25 PM
TheOneDylanThomas

theloser187 - The only time I have seen fighters act like dicks is when the "fans" are obnoxious. Some fighters have shown incredible restraint in dealing with the typical douche bag UFC fan.

Yeah. Probably the case most often in bad fighter experience stories. Not all but I'm sure probably most.
5/22/13 3:26 PM
HolyHackZack
418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel like I should counter my last post with the dudes that go out of their way with fans. I've met Lorenz Larkin hanging out in the audience after both of his last fights, Cormier in the crowd after a fight. Mighty Mouse, Nick, Nate and Shields, Faber, Ellenberger and Chael are just a few that I have seen deal with crowds of maybe 50+ people with a smile.

5/22/13 3:28 PM
MediumRareMistake
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MEOWticket -
theloser187 -
MediumRareMistake - Bones took home my designated driver and her friend to his hotel in Edmonton while my buddies and I had to cab home. Phone Post 3.0

I think some guy tried to get him to sign one that night, bones did I think actually lol. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 3:30 PM
MediumRareMistake

MEOWticket -
theloser187 -

The girls were hideous and Bones had his gf and kids at the time lol this was when he hurt his hand against shogun and couldn't fight rashad. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 3:37 PM
Magnus
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On a much smaller level, some of you may remember an MMA pioneer with the distinctive moniker 'Pain' Peters. I stood beside him and personally witness a crowd of French Canadian fans almost mob him to get signatures. He could not have been more pleasant or accommodating.

What is particularly noteworthy is that this was right after bad night for him. He had just lost an ugly fight that left his face sufficiently scuffed up that I was a little concerned that perhaps the hospital would have been a more appropriate place than standing among fans.

Pain had a bit of a following way, way back and once upon a time. He was very gracious with his time.
5/22/13 3:42 PM
Skids182
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've met quite a few fighters, and the only one who wasn't cool was Diego Sanchez. The worst part about it was that we weren't interrupting dinner or anything, it was at the fan expo in Toronto. Haven't cheered for him since.
5/22/13 3:49 PM
whoabro

Can you say that if you had to meet as many strangers as fighters do that you wouldnt have moments where you were a little crabby or whatever, especially knowing how fucking annoying fanboys can be?

Not saying its ok to be rude but fighters are only human just like the rest of us Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 4:23 PM
Phisher

A lot of fans of this sport are extremely negative people who look for any reason to shit on fighters and hold petty grudges against people that they don't even know personally.

After dealing with a bunch of obnoxious, MMA smark trolls for a long period of time, it's not surprising that some guys don't want to deal with the bullshit.

5/22/13 4:27 PM
Ryan Williams
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theloser187 - In contrast me and my son saw Randy Orton Jr. in a subway eating a sub with this super hot chick. I approached Randy first and he looked at me like he wanted to kick my teeth out but as soon as he saw I was with a young kid he did a 180 and put on the "act". Took pictures and signed a napkin. Cool guy but not adult friendly.
That's scumbag got kicked out of my old unit in the Marine Corps within months of arriving. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 4:38 PM
nyhcloyalty
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theloser187 - The only time I have seen fighters act like dicks is when the "fans" are obnoxious. Some fighters have shown incredible restraint in dealing with the typical douche bag UFC fan.
This Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 4:46 PM
TeamRenzo

I met Rich Franklin at the airport in Ottawa, Canada. We were both standing in line and at first I almost chickened out from introducing myself. Eventually I went up told him I was a fan and shook his hand, he was very polite and chatted with me for 30 secs.

I was pumped when I saw him boarding the same plane as me and planned on sneaking the seat next to him but it turns out he got on the wrong plane and got off.
5/22/13 4:57 PM
NomoRomophobia
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Met a ton, and never had a bad experience.
Wanderlei was the best!
Nicest guy in the world. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 5:23 PM
Ryan Williams
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theloser187 -
Ryan Williams - 
theloser187 - In contrast me and my son saw Randy Orton Jr. in a subway eating a sub with this super hot chick. I approached Randy first and he looked at me like he wanted to kick my teeth out but as soon as he saw I was with a young kid he did a 180 and put on the "act". Took pictures and signed a napkin. Cool guy but not adult friendly.
That's scumbag got kicked out of my old unit in the Marine Corps within months of arriving. Phone Post 3.0

More please. Wasn't he fat when he was young?
I had just transferred to another unit when he was coming in my buddy did the paperwork apparently he just didn't want to be in and knew he had the pro wrestling thing to go so he got himself kicked out.

I was also sitting in a hot tub at the Palms Hotel and all of a sudden Diego Sanchez gets in. There were two guys sitting there and he started fucking with them asking if they were fighters and saying he recognized them and was pretty sure he didn't like them. They got scared and got out and scurried away. Then he started with me I had a full contact fighter hat on and he started asking questions about whether or not I fight and who I was with (I was cornering Red Schafer at his 1st fight in the UFC). Then he just sat staring at me. It was just weird, not that he was a dick to me but like he was showing off for the plastic woman he had with him.

98% of the fighters I have met an trained with have been cool, but those other 2% have been some of the biggest assholes I've ever met. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 5:46 PM
GarlicSauce

In this thread: everyone fears being a "fighter basher", so only stories of fighters being nice are told. What a sport, where 100% of its athletes are the nicest people in the whole wide world!

Move along, nothing to see here.
5/22/13 5:49 PM
Wisco Thai
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Met Jeremy Horn at the airport and he was in sweats and had the beard going so I was kinda staring to make sure it was him because he was by himself and sure as shit he started staring right back at me. Didnt want him to think I was trying to mean mug him so I walked up and told him I was a fan and he was really cool took a picture and got an autograph.
5/22/13 5:52 PM
ShocknAwe
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I met Guy Mezger at a show in Edmonton just before the televised card, it was really loud and we could barely hear each other. While talking he confessed he hadn't heard my name so he got me to repeat it, I just figured he was being nice. When my wife and I were leaving the arena I saw him near the HDNET table so I gave him a casual 'later' wave and he responded 'Have a great night Phil, it was good meeting you"

Simple shit like that goes a long way with me.

Antonio McKee knocked over my coffee at Starbucks and didn't apologize or offer to buy me a new one so fuck that guy, I guess.
5/22/13 5:54 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
830 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

all the fighters I've been around have been real nice...including Koscheck.

5/22/13 6:04 PM
Since93

Edited: 05/22/13 6:04 PM
Dana was super cool. Clay Guida was even cooler. Chatted with me for 5 minutes. Super cool guy.<br /><br />Rampage was a dick. At an autograph signing I asked him how TUF filming was going. He said "This aint no interview" then looked at his buddy like "who the fuck is this guy". He mumbled "This aint no god damn interview" several times as I walked away.
5/22/13 6:12 PM
RearNakedToke
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Coleman called me a motherfucker in Japan once Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.