UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters Being jerks to Fans

5/24/13 12:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
canofsticks
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Son of Neckbone - 
TheOneDylanThomas - 
canofsticks - came here expecting blood in the water. What a way better thread than intended by OP.

Come on, that's not fair. The point of my original post was that my experiences have always been beyond positive and I'm very skeptical when I hear stories of negative fan/fighter interactions.

Clearly, the skepticism was warranted. I could have titled the thread better though, obviously.

I didn't get a negative vibe at all from this thread, and read every single page. Good stuff, VU for the day.

I just meant from thread title. Good post tho OP. you get my one vtfu for the day
5/24/13 12:29 PM
TheOneDylanThomas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

canofsticks - 
Son of Neckbone - 
TheOneDylanThomas - 
canofsticks - came here expecting blood in the water. What a way better thread than intended by OP.

Come on, that's not fair. The point of my original post was that my experiences have always been beyond positive and I'm very skeptical when I hear stories of negative fan/fighter interactions.

Clearly, the skepticism was warranted. I could have titled the thread better though, obviously.

I didn't get a negative vibe at all from this thread, and read every single page. Good stuff, VU for the day.

I just meant from thread title. Good post tho OP. you get my one vtfu for the day

Thanks man. Vote up returned.
5/24/13 12:34 PM
Flexo
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You'll really find out if a fighter is a real dick if you see him somewhere random. At Expos and stuff like that they kind of have to be nice to keep up the image. All the bad stories I've heard have been in elevators and random run ins on the street Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 12:38 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - Wait, Fedor was charging for autographs? Phone Post
This question needs answered. I was at that fight but wasn't around the weigh ins or anything fan related. Kinda shocked if true. Probably M1 that made that choice though not Fedor. Phone Post
5/24/13 1:53 PM
netterbog
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm Mormon. A friend of mine (also Mormon) was speaking at church in Huntington Beach, CA - back in the Summer of 2001. My buddy trained with Tito, Rampage and a couple other UFC/Pride guys back then, and had apparently invited them to come hear his talk.

So I'm sitting in church, look behind me, and see Rampage standing at the back of the Chapel. I didn't want to be a fan-boy and ask for his autograph or anything (plus it would be weird, in church and all). So I walked back there, stood next to him and said, "Hey Rampage."

He replies, "Sheeeit! You Mormons ain't supposed to know who I am!" Was totally cool to me. Double cool that he cussed in a Mormon church meeting.

I laugh, tell him I'm a big fan, shake his hand and go sit back down.

A few years ago (around the time of the Rampage in the Rampage Truck Incident), he lived close to me and shared a backyard with one of my friends. After each of his fights, they were good neighbors, and brought him cookies.
5/24/13 2:09 PM
CoopDiddy
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - Wait, Fedor was charging for autographs? Phone Post
This question needs answered. I was at that fight but wasn't around the weigh ins or anything fan related. Kinda shocked if true. Probably M1 that made that choice though not Fedor. Phone Post

I was up in Chicago for the Fedor/Hendo fight and I got his autograph 3 times and didn't get charged anything. It might of been for the people that brough stacks upon stacks of pictures or other memorabilia.
5/24/13 2:34 PM
jackthehitmanhinchon

I met Dana after UFC 75 in London he was a great guy talked with me for a out 20 minutes and as I walked away I said to him let chuck Liddell headline the next London card he laughed and said that ain't a bad idea and to my surprise the next London card had chuck headlining. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 2:36 PM
Harold_Howard

I met Wandy about a year ago. I said "hey Wandy, in seriously your bigge..." And before I could finish my sentence he shouted "BOOLSHEET!", then got me in a Thai clinch and landed a flush knee to my chest. I dropped down in shock/major pain, crying. He laughed and called me a fag then left Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 2:53 PM
Whambo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if Ken is still dickish to fans. He seems to be mellowed out with age now.
5/24/13 2:57 PM
UGCTT Captain America's Butler, Suck It Jobe!
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Harold_Howard - I met Wandy about a year ago. I said "hey Wandy, in seriously your bigge..." And before I could finish my sentence he shouted "BOOLSHEET!", then got me in a Thai clinch and landed a flush knee to my chest. I dropped down in shock/major pain, crying. He laughed and called me a fag then left Phone Post 3.0
Somehow, I don't believe this happened. Phone Post
5/24/13 3:05 PM
Tommy Gunnz
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 3:13 PM
NotFromHere

My 10 year old wrestler son waited in line to get a Matt Hughes autograph. Hughes never looked at him and continued to chat up the Coors Light girls who were there, while signing the autograph.

On the other hand, Rich Franklin talked with and encouraged my son for several minutes. Jorge Gurgel was even more friendly.

Andrei Arlovski wasn't unfriendly, but he wasn't friendly either. He was scary.
5/24/13 3:18 PM
Robert La Stella
923 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have never encountered a mean spirited fighter and I have met a lot of them.

5/24/13 3:20 PM
Robert La Stella
923 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RearNakedToke - Mark Coleman called me a motherfucker in Japan once Phone Post 3.0

Street cred.

5/24/13 3:29 PM
TheMorg826
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i tried to say hello to Ed Herman outside of an IFL event years ago in Everett, WA. He gave me a dirty look and kept walking. it looked like he may have been having an argument with his GF or something. I still root against him every fight
5/24/13 4:01 PM
jj93

Man I need to meet some fighters Phone Post
5/24/13 4:05 PM
Edelweiss
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

netterbog - I'm Mormon. A friend of mine (also Mormon) was speaking at church in Huntington Beach, CA - back in the Summer of 2001. My buddy trained with Tito, Rampage and a couple other UFC/Pride guys back then, and had apparently invited them to come hear his talk.

So I'm sitting in church, look behind me, and see Rampage standing at the back of the Chapel. I didn't want to be a fan-boy and ask for his autograph or anything (plus it would be weird, in church and all). So I walked back there, stood next to him and said, "Hey Rampage."

He replies, "Sheeeit! You Mormons ain't supposed to know who I am!" Was totally cool to me. Double cool that he cussed in a Mormon church meeting.

I laugh, tell him I'm a big fan, shake his hand and go sit back down.

A few years ago (around the time of the Rampage in the Rampage Truck Incident), he lived close to me and shared a backyard with one of my friends. After each of his fights, they were good neighbors, and brought him cookies.

Ha! This story is awesome! I grew up in Utah.

5/24/13 4:13 PM
Edelweiss
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

@Alumynabjj - 

I couldn't keep quoting that giant wall of text. Now that I look back on my interaction with Alex, I think you are right. He is quiet, NEVER smiles, and is a bit of a smart ass. Plus, because he would beat my ass so much, I maybe took it personal. So, I think I just got the wrong impression. All his close friends have nothing but good things to say about him.

The popped rib story is pretty impressive. I knew the guy was as tough as they come, but I didn't know he fought with a popped rib. I popped my lower rib during JJ, and I could hardly move for three weeks. I can't imagine trying to grapple, let alone fight. Wow! Good stuff.

Thanks for chiming in and giving me a different perspective.

5/24/13 4:14 PM
XIII
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just finished the last 5 pages. Awesome stories and great thread. Unfortunate title but nice job OP.

Thanks to all the lurkers for coming out of the woodwork. It's not so scary out here, isn't it? :P

Especially enjoyed the stories about fighters from the early days.
5/24/13 4:29 PM
cripplersc
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still think the funniest story was the Randy and the guy in the elevator one. I've met Royce. He was cool. I met Ken, Bad, and Severn after an IFL event everyone was cool until when I wanted to get a picture. Ken was like $25 for a picture and autograph. Also met Kampman in times square after his fight with Conduit. The chick he was with was smoking hot Phone Post
5/24/13 5:51 PM
Dumbass JoeMimic
578 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my favorite stories is waiting in line for weigh ins before ufc 132 and my buddy was going on a anti Chael Sonnen rant that ended with him saying I fucking hate Chael Sonnen really loud...

Not ten seconds later Chael came walking up the stairs from behind us and I started dying laughing. Oh and the first fans to run up to Chael had a bunch of Wanderlei gear on... Go figure lol Phone Post
5/24/13 8:09 PM
mennis65
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I met several fighters at UFC 28 and UFC 30. Pretty much everyone was super nice.

Kevin Randleman chatted with me for about 10 minutes while Mark Coleman stood there with a sour look on his face.

Wallid Ismael was awesome. Gave me a big hug and thanked me for being a fan.

Renzo Gracie was awesome - greeted me with a hug as well.

tito stopped to take a photo with a friend of mine - very nice guy.

I met Jeremy Horn about 30 minutes after elvis submitted him and although he wasnt happy, he was still friendly and shook my hand.

No one was really an asshole. Coleman and Marco ruas werent overly chatty but they werent mean to me or anything either.

5/24/13 8:23 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

K. so check this out.
It's March about two years ago.
I'm like, short on cash or whatever, so I see this old lady and her purse, make a quick grab at it, take, and fire off.
I'm thinking ths is gonna work.
Then some huge black guy is running beside me and then takes me down.
Spend some time in jail.
Find out it's Boney Jones.
5/25/13 8:15 AM
6ULDV8

This is a nice fucking thread.  Lots of positivity and awesomesauce on here!

I met Royce Gracie once in a food court the day of Art of War in Kong Kong.  Me and Otsuka on here saw him, freaked the fuck out and then ran over to do the fan thing.  He was speaking to some hot woman and they were deep in conversation so we waited off to the side a bit.

As soon as he noticed we were there, he nodded to us and put his finger up to say he'd be with us when he was done.  We were giddy as school girls.  About 30 seconds later while still talking to her, he kind of sideways slides over to where we are and sticks out his hand for a shake and gives us a smile, then we all talked together for a bit.

When she left we took some phots and said our good byes.

Not too long after that we bumped into Bas Rutten and helped him buy a belt.

Later that night after the fights, We kind of stormed the ring and both Royce and Bas recognized us and came up to say hi and we took a few more pictures.

It was beyond fucking awesome.

5/25/13 8:16 AM
6ULDV8

*That wasn't in Hong Kong.  It was in Macau.

We also got to meet Vanderlei Silva.  Great freaking time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.