UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters Being jerks to Fans

5/25/13 4:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never had a bad experinece meeting an mma fighter.  One fighter got very pushy about asking me for my number, IN FRONT of my ex. Not cool.

But we are the luckiest fans in the world.  I've met a lot of fighters and am fortunate enough to be friends with some and they are all humble and down to earth.

The nicest fighters ever are Chael and Domimick Cruz.

5/25/13 8:02 PM
Edelweiss
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen -

Never had a bad experinece meeting an mma fighter.  One fighter got very pushy about asking me for my number, IN FRONT of my ex. Not cool.

But we are the luckiest fans in the world.  I've met a lot of fighters and am fortunate enough to be friends with some and they are all humble and down to earth.

The nicest fighters ever are Chael and Domimick Cruz.

C'mon, chica, either mention the pushy fighter or don't tell the story at all. Phone Post
6/10/13 6:59 PM
TheOneDylanThomas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for more stories.
6/10/13 7:07 PM
amandapottle
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only fighter I ever met that was a jerk was Rico Rodriguez. Everyone else was really nice =)
6/10/13 7:09 PM
Hostile
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its too long to write, but Ive seen Alistar be a total dickface to fans in Japan.
Hughes is cool as hell on the other hand:) Phone Post
6/10/13 11:54 PM
psujunglist
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/25/13 10:49 PM
I've met Dan Henderson a few times and he has always been pleasant, as are most of the Team Quest guys. Liddell wasn't very engaging, but I wouldn't be if I just signed autographs and took pictures for 2 hours, either. Forrest no showed a book signing I was supposed to go to, so...
Guida was very friendly. Rashad was surprisingly nice. Signed a glove and took a pic with me. Hughes was actually pretty cool. Sat next to him at a NAGA tournament while he was making an appearance with Dollamur. I met Guy Mezgar that same tournament. I believe he was there with HDNet. Mike Brown was WEC champ and a complete clown when we met him. Hilarious. Nick Diaz signed a glove for me while walking through the fan expo, but I don't think he said one word to me while it was happening. No worries, I was just glad he stopped. Diego ignored me. Nate Quarry was cool. KJ Noons was pretty cool. Scott Jorgenson was very friendly. I met Phil Davis when he was still wrestling at Penn State. Dominick Cruz was a lot more friendlier than I had thought he would be.

I sat down and started playing slots at the Mandalay Bay during UFC100 weekend. On one side of me, Karo was playing blackjack and refusing to be in pictures - unless it was with a woman. On the other side of me, Matt Brown was playing on the slot machine next to me.

The same weekend at the Mandalay Bay, I ran into an up and coming fighter from Endicott, NY. I mentioned that I grew up in the same area as he did and watched him win a state championship in Albany a few years back. He was very polite and thanked me for the well wishes. I had no idea he'd be as big as he is now...
6/11/13 12:33 AM
Shogun of Harlem
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't see it, but a guy who worked for me was bouncing in a bar in Norcal. He said Uriah Faber came in like he owned the place and the bouncer said, "Nigga, you 5'1"!"
6/11/13 5:04 AM
DiazsBongWater
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheOneDylanThomas -
myee8 - 

Bisping seems to be a pretty cool guy when i met him, can't see the hate he often gets...

Agreed.
Agreed, I was a sparring partner of Mikes for the Wand fight. My missus was pregnant at the time and he frequently asked how she was doing etc.
He also gave me his signature ECKO t shirt .
Rampage is a prankster, I walked in one day and he and Zach Light were like 'HEY MAN!' And went to give me a high 5... I'm star struck as fuck and go to oblige and page slapped me in the balls! He was always cool but notoriously heavy handed while sparring.

Kongo is a cool guy, great with people's kids etc

To be honest I've never met a fighter who I've thought was a prick.

Diego Sanchez sounds like a tool Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 9:41 AM
TheOneDylanThomas

DiazsBongWater - 
TheOneDylanThomas -
myee8 - 

Bisping seems to be a pretty cool guy when i met him, can't see the hate he often gets...

Agreed.
Agreed, I was a sparring partner of Mikes for the Wand fight. My missus was pregnant at the time and he frequently asked how she was doing etc.
Rampage is a prankster, I walked in one day and he and Zach Light were like 'HEY MAN!' And went to give me a high 5... I'm star struck as fuck and go to oblige and page slapped me in the balls! He was always cool but notoriously heavy handed while sparring.

Awesome stories.
6/11/13 12:08 PM
Shosh1n
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DiazsBongWater -
TheOneDylanThomas -
myee8 - 

Agreed.

Do you train at HBUTC man? Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 1:47 PM
DiazsBongWater
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shosh1n -
DiazsBongWater -
TheOneDylanThomas -
myee8 - 

Agreed.

Do you train at HBUTC man? Phone Post 3.0
No sir. Wolfslair Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 2:21 PM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly think some fans need to respect fighter's privacy a lot more. Notice that a lot of these stories start with "I saw fighter A eating lunch" or "Fighter B was talking to some hot girl". IMO Interrupting someone's private life without a legitimate reason is somewhat asshole-ish whether you are a fan or not. It's one thing to ask for an autograph during an organized event but there is no need to approach fighters when they are having lunch or with their families.

It must get extremely annoying for fighters to constantly have strangers approach them everywhere and try to be their friend. It's a testament to just how tolerant most fighters are by how much they go out of their way to be nice in situations like that. I think it's great when give their time for the fans but on the other hand I those that choose to ignore strangers are completely justified too.
6/11/13 2:41 PM
FightToLive
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got a the funny story! UFC 40 I just arrived at MGM grand with a couple of buddies. I was co-owner of a sportswear co. @ the time and we where one of the small sponsors of the event!
SO excited to be there and everything, first thing I see is the hottest chick in the world with a program in her hand just gazzing through it?
So I walk over and start chatting her up? Kinda grabbed the program as I asked her at the the same time if I could look through it?
She was just just looking at me and never said a word! Imagine this....................Then Chuck Liddell Walks over and gets between me and her, snaps the program out of both of our hands and asks me?
Can I help you? Not a Happy look on his face! It was his girlfriend at the time. Man talk about bad timing to be a Canadian and forget health Insurance!
Thanks for being nice Mr. Liddell! True Story

6/11/13 3:18 PM
Vitor29

In Phone Post
6/11/13 3:33 PM
DiazsBongWater

FightToLive - Got a the funny story! UFC 40 I just arrived at MGM grand with a couple of buddies. I was co-owner of a sportswear co. @ the time and we where one of the small sponsors of the event!
SO excited to be there and everything, first thing I see is the hottest chick in the world with a program in her hand just gazzing through it?
So I walk over and start chatting her up? Kinda grabbed the program as I asked her at the the same time if I could look through it?
She was just just looking at me and never said a word! Imagine this....................Then Chuck Liddell Walks over and gets between me and her, snaps the program out of both of our hands and asks me?
Can I help you? Not a Happy look on his face! It was his girlfriend at the time. Man talk about bad timing to be a Canadian and forget health Insurance!
Thanks for being nice Mr. Liddell! True Story

Fucking amazing story!

Chuck is my favourite fighter ever!

6/11/13 4:08 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DiazsBongWater - 
TheOneDylanThomas -
myee8 - 

Agreed.

thats really cool..
6/11/13 4:10 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dogmeat 1 - I honestly think some fans need to respect fighter's privacy a lot more. Notice that a lot of these stories start with "I saw fighter A eating lunch" or "Fighter B was talking to some hot girl". IMO Interrupting someone's private life without a legitimate reason is somewhat asshole-ish whether you are a fan or not. It's one thing to ask for an autograph during an organized event but there is no need to approach fighters when they are having lunch or with their families.

It must get extremely annoying for fighters to constantly have strangers approach them everywhere and try to be their friend. It's a testament to just how tolerant most fighters are by how much they go out of their way to be nice in situations like that. I think it's great when give their time for the fans but on the other hand I those that choose to ignore strangers are completely justified too.

It depends where you are. If your eating in Mandalay Bay during a fight weekend, be prepared to be inconvenienced.
6/11/13 4:14 PM
Son of Neckbone
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So has anybody shlepped through all 12 pages of this? Who is the winner of worst dick to fans? Rampage? He was mine, and it sounds like a lot of others too.
6/11/13 4:16 PM
irishrottie
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Met Randy in 07. He didnt seem genuine. 

6/11/13 5:03 PM
BRZ

irishrottie -

Met Randy in 07. He didnt seem genuine. 

Did you met Randy in an elevator? Phone Post 3.0
6/11/13 5:04 PM
TheOneDylanThomas

Son of Neckbone - So has anybody shlepped through all 12 pages of this? Who is the winner of worst dick to fans? Rampage? He was mine, and it sounds like a lot of others too.

That wasn't really the purpose of this thread. Though I could have chosen a better title. Reason for starting the thread was my skepticism because I've heard a lot of stories of fighters being dicks but never experienced it personally. Judging by the stories here, MMA fighters are incredible with the fans.
6/11/13 8:51 PM
GC111

RearNakedToke - 
Jack Brown -
RearNakedToke - Mark Coleman called me a motherfucker in Japan once Phone Post 3.0
Better than an autograph. Phone Post
Lol I was legit scared. I will always have the night he roid raged on me and his manager had to stop him from killing me for no reason burned into my psyche. Phone Post 3.0

More please...
6/12/13 1:27 AM
mma shill
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JZ Cavalcante and Chris Lytle were super cool guys when I met them, I was at a strike force event when I saw JZ eating a bowl of pasta and watching the fights after he had just won a decision against Bobby Green and we talked about who we thought was going to win the upcoming fights. I met Lytle at a celebrity basketball game he played in (let's just say it's a good thing he didn't give up fighting for basketball lol) but I asked him if he thought Condit or Diaz was going to win and he said Diaz, and then joked about fighting the winner, Reed Harris and Mike Kogan were nice guys too Phone Post 3.0
6/12/13 1:39 AM
JimmersonzGlove
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Havent met a lot but arlovski tito and herb dean were all awesome. Phone Post
6/12/13 6:58 AM
DiazsBongWater

JimmersonzGlove - Havent met a lot but arlovski tito and herb dean were all awesome. Phone Post
Oh yeah forgot about Arlovski he dropped by the Wolfslair once with his camp, took pics with everyone.

Bigfoot used to train there too but I never spoke to him, he went by the name 'junior' back then Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.