UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters Being jerks to Fans

5/23/13 11:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dawggy
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the other side, werdum and Bigfoot were the nicest guys ever. Bigfoot was fighting fedor later that night and he stopped what he was doing and waved ppl over for pics and autographs. Seemed to genuinely enjoy meeting fans. Werdum was even cooler. I had a hat I got signed by all original 8 sf gp fighters and werdum asked me where I wanted him to sign and made sure the sig looked great. Very cool guy. Phone Post
5/23/13 11:12 AM
HolyHackZack
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/23/13 11:12 AM

I was waiting outside the post-fight presser for the last Seattle fights when I saw my favorite active fighter, Nick Diaz, walk out. His brother had just got his ass kicked and he was looking pretty bummed so I think the few people outside decided to give him some space. He started to walk away and I said 'Hey Nick your my favorite fighter and I have no hair, sign my hat!' as I pulled my hat off my bald head. He got a big smile on his face, signed my hat, then dropped it and the pen on the ground and walked away. While technically I guess you could say that was a dick move, felt more like a rockstar moment. Nate walked out later and took pics and signed stuff with his eye completly swollen shut. The guys that talk to the fans after coming out on the losing side get extra respect from me.

5/23/13 11:33 AM
Shosh1n
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I knew I'd forget a couple...

Used to see tank drinking at his favorite stool every weekend, he was always awesome, funny, and had great stories.

Also met Tyson griffin in a bar in Berkeley a few years ago, got a round of pool w him and his friends, he couldn't have been nicer.

Went to school w Jamie Yager from 5th grade through HS and he was actually a very cool friend, drove me to the airport once when I didn't have a ride. This was all long before fighting though, I have tons of stories about him.

And to complete my TuF 11 acquaintances, kyacey uscola is the biggest (insert worst insult ever here), I personally know his ex GF/baby momma, the one someone called a 10 earlier, and he has done the worst things imaginable. I'd give details but I don't want to get banned....
5/23/13 11:41 AM
Rudi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
5/23/13 11:44 AM
JerseyShoreTapTeam

Houston Alexander, shortly after his fight with Irvin, did an interview and mentioned at the end that fans should leave their phone #'s at the end of their fanmail because he'd "rather call them and get to know em" instead of doing the generic e-mail response thing. I figured it wouldn't hurt so I sent him a short e-mail and put my number at the end.

Sure enough, less than an hour later, I get a call from an unknown number with a 401 area code on it. I answer and it's freakin Houston Alexander! He thanked me for being a fan and told me to give him a call if he needed anything. Just a nice guy, how many athletes do that for their fans?
5/23/13 11:46 AM
Dirty Harold
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JerseyShoreTapTeam - Houston Alexander, shortly after his fight with Irvin, did an interview and mentioned at the end that fans should leave their phone #'s at the end of their fanmail because he'd "rather call them and get to know em" instead of doing the generic e-mail response thing. I figured it wouldn't hurt so I sent him a short e-mail and put my number at the end.

Sure enough, less than an hour later, I get a call from an unknown number with a 401 area code on it. I answer and it's freakin Houston Alexander! He thanked me for being a fan and told me to give him a call if he needed anything. Just a nice guy, how many athletes do that for their fans?

That is cool as fuck!
5/23/13 11:46 AM
HolyHackZack
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a real cool story about Houston. I've heard Chael would call with updates if you sent him something in the mail to sign. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 12:04 PM
Shosh1n
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha that's awesome (Houston story). Reminds me, there was a phone number you could text Chael at a while ago, it was from one of his old real estate ads. I texted him right after his first AS fight saying wishing him luck in the eventual rematch and that he had more chin than a Chinese phone book. He responded with "ha!"

I'm loving this thread...
5/23/13 12:04 PM
JerseyShoreTapTeam

BTW I never called Houston back obviously but I did text him the day after his fight vs. Sokoudjou congratulating him and he texted back "thank u!" literally less than a minute later.

I'll be a fan of his for life.
5/23/13 12:11 PM
latmmrh
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say most of the guys I've met have been nice the ones that stand out the most though would be Cormier, Benavidez, Court McGee, and Sonnen.

Side note, not a fighter but Reed Harris was extremely nice as well, didn't even notice him at first till he commented on my friends WEC shirt then stood and talked to us for a while.
5/23/13 12:13 PM
BloodWork
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JerseyShoreTapTeam - Houston Alexander, shortly after his fight with Irvin, did an interview and mentioned at the end that fans should leave their phone #'s at the end of their fanmail because he'd "rather call them and get to know em" instead of doing the generic e-mail response thing. I figured it wouldn't hurt so I sent him a short e-mail and put my number at the end.

I hate to break it to you man but 401 is the Rhode Island area code. Isn't Houston from Nebraska?
5/23/13 12:36 PM
Beeno
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ I'm sure he meant 402.

I live in Omaha so I run into Houston a lot, when he first came on the scene we would text back and forth. I remember telling him to watch for leg kicks against Jardine and that Irvin would surely try a superman punch on him. Haven't kept up with him since he went back to the smaller shows but he is always around town and chats it up with fans.

I ran into Rampage at the airport after his fight with Machida. I stood by him for a bit trying to wait for him to look up and say hello to him but he just kept texting on 2 phones. Finally I just patted him on the back and said I was a big fan and he said "thanks bro" and shook my hand. Didn't go into too much other than that. I did tell him he whooped Machida's ass because I felt like I needed to complement him.
5/23/13 12:58 PM
NJstileNJ
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it seems like newer MMA fans like most that posted here are more fan boyish than the old school.
5/23/13 1:02 PM
UGCTT_BluePlease
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I go to the Arnold Classic Expo in Columbus, OH every year and have had the chance to meet a lot of MMA fighters, and people in the industry. Donald Cerrone and the TapOut guys were some of the nicest ones there. When the WEC was around, I was a huge fan so I recognized a lot of the lesser know fighters as they walked through the crowd. Mike Brown was a cool guy. He was hanging around in the hallway outside the expo and we stood around and shot the shit for a while. Same goes for Dominick Cruz. Dan Severn was cool, Don Frye was a BOSS. I caught Bas as he was walking away and he took a pic. I asked him to give me a liver shot for the pic, and he hit me in the stomach and knocked the wind out of me LOL.

BJ Penn wasn't a dick at all, but he was the least enthusiastic guy I've met.

5/23/13 1:02 PM
UGCTT_BluePlease
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/23/13 1:02 PM

2x

5/23/13 1:04 PM
UGCTT_BluePlease

BloodWork - 

I hate to break it to you man but 401 is the Rhode Island area code. Isn't Houston from Nebraska?

I've ran into Houston on three different occasions and he has been great every time.

5/23/13 1:06 PM
Edelweiss
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shosh1n - I knew I'd forget a couple...

Used to see tank drinking at his favorite stool every weekend, he was always awesome, funny, and had great stories.

Also met Tyson griffin in a bar in Berkeley a few years ago, got a round of pool w him and his friends, he couldn't have been nicer.

Went to school w Jamie Yager from 5th grade through HS and he was actually a very cool friend, drove me to the airport once when I didn't have a ride. This was all long before fighting though, I have tons of stories about him.

And to complete my TuF 11 acquaintances, kyacey uscola is the biggest (insert worst insult ever here), I personally know his ex GF/baby momma, the one someone called a 10 earlier, and he has done the worst things imaginable. I'd give details but I don't want to get banned....

I called her a ten, but your post makes me think my memory of her is wrong. I met her a few times at a nightclub she worked in before she had a baby, so, maybe I remember incorrectly.

Anyway, Kyacey sure was something else, huh? I had to be careful about what I wrote too. The pitbull attack might have been karma for some things he has done. Who knows?

5/23/13 1:08 PM
Mike F
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least you guys are getting the dick treatment from top fighters.

Scott Bessac gave me the big time treatment in 1996. This was a year or so after he fought at the first Ultimate Ultimate. I was big into Pancrase, UFC, anything MMA related. I was 15 years old and I came around the corner at the motel (not hotel) and there is Scott Bessac outside talking with another guy. Our room is down the way from his so as we pass we stop and tell him we are fans of his, we watch the Pancrase shows every month and are big UFC fans. In the most dickish tone the guy could put together he says if we want a picture or an autograph he was selling them at the show the next night, and then turned back to his friend.

We hadn't asked for an autograph or a picture, simply told the guy we were fans and he was such a prick in return. Having met and trained with so many guys since then it is fucking amazing that the first guy I ever met was the worst.

That same weekend we met a friend of Gary Myers who was from the same area as we were. He brought him over to our table and the guy just hung out with us, took pictures, and for a bunch of kids who road tripped 6 hours to watch some fights, it was the coolest shit ever.

And that is how I got big timed by a UFC alternate with a 4-7 career record.
5/23/13 3:02 PM
JorgePaez
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I chatted with Ben Rothwell once at an event, he was really cool. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 3:50 PM
ThomasBJJ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only "Bad" experience with a fighter was Frank Mir. There were a bunch of Photo-op set ups the day before UFC 74 (Couture Vs Gonzaga) and Frank Mir was out taking pics with fans, but you could see on his face that he absolutely did NOT want to be there. I'm personally not one to want to take pics with fighters too much, but my GF at the time was so excited to see UFC fighters in person. So she wants a pic with Mir badly, so we go up to him and ask if she can get a pic with him. He never makes eye contact, never said a word, just stepped next to her for the pic, stone faced, and after the flash of the camera turned his back.
5/23/13 3:56 PM
ThomasBJJ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, again, not really that "bad". but after TUF 5 Finale, My GF and me were BIG Jens Pulver fans thru the whole season 5 TV show. I got Robbie Lawler's autograph on a poster and was just making conversation about how sad we were than Jens lost.
I guess he took it wrong or misunderstood what I was trying to say, and got really defensive and saying stuff like "well we can't always win, we try our best but you can't win them all" but kind of with an attitude, as if I implied that "How dare Jens lose this fight! we were counting on him."

I have probably 20 or more great encounters with fighters and UFC folks to share one day when I have a little more time.

5/23/13 3:59 PM
Son of Neckbone
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rampage was the only fighter I've met that was a total asshole. This was at weighins for one of the earlier events, and this was preTUF so you could still just wander in and out of the weighins, talk and take pics with almost everybody.

No fans were around Rampage because he was a PRIDE fighter at the time and had lower recognizability I guess. Looking back I'm assuming he was pissed that his celebrity level wasn't as high in Vegas as it was in Japan.

Either way, if he's loitering around at the weighins at an event he isn't even fighting in, I assumed that he was there to gladhand the fans and he was a total dick, demanding 20$ to take a picture or sign an autograph, saying that's what they do in Japan. I asked if he was joking, he wasn't, I told him he was fucking insane and was walking away when he grabbed me by the shirt collar and demanded that I take a picture with him. So we did, but he was mumbling and muttering about "cheap motherfuckas" and being a "mothafuckin superstar in China." Yes, he called Japan "China."

I know this story sounds like it could have been good natured fucking with the fans, but I assure you he was fully pissed off before I ever came up to him, was an asshole, realized he had a small audience and tried to sweep it under the rug.

For every Rampage I met there were a bunch of very cool fighters, particularly in the early days when even the UFC stars were not widely recognized and truly seemed to enjoy the fans.
5/23/13 4:04 PM
Shosh1n

Edelweiss - 
Shosh1n - I knew I'd forget a couple...

I called her a ten, but your post makes me think my memory of her is wrong. I met her a few times at a nightclub she worked in before she had a baby, so, maybe I remember incorrectly.

Anyway, Kyacey sure was something else, huh? I had to be careful about what I wrote too. The pitbull attack might have been karma for some things he has done. Who knows?

Haha she's definitely cute, but yeah 10 is a little much :) anyway yeah I can go into detail if you're interested via PM but you sound like you already know the types of stories I have. It was bittersweet herring about the dog attack on his nuts bc The UFC was trying to set up the Uscola/Yager grudge match for the finale. I didn't have the utmost confidence in Jamie winning, but I was thinking it would be nice for my old friend to potentially beat his ass. The dog event was a great substitute though! He definitely deserved it, and I hope he wises up at some point for his son's sake.
5/23/13 4:09 PM
Dumbass JoeMimic
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never had a bad experience but some of my favorites have been Faber, Leben, Chael P, and Brian Stann. Phone Post
5/23/13 4:09 PM
Son of Neckbone
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThomasBJJ - Only "Bad" experience with a fighter was Frank Mir. There were a bunch of Photo-op set ups the day before UFC 74 (Couture Vs Gonzaga) and Frank Mir was out taking pics with fans, but you could see on his face that he absolutely did NOT want to be there. I'm personally not one to want to take pics with fighters too much, but my GF at the time was so excited to see UFC fighters in person. So she wants a pic with Mir badly, so we go up to him and ask if she can get a pic with him. He never makes eye contact, never said a word, just stepped next to her for the pic, stone faced, and after the flash of the camera turned his back.

At the same weighin as I described above with the Rampage debacle, I had the opposite experience with Frank Mir.

My wife (gf at the time) saw Mir hanging out at the Hard Rock and talked with him about whatever his last fight was and whatever his next fight was going to be for at least 15 minutes. What was strange about the situation was that about 5 minutes in he started asking us questions about where we lived, occupations, my MMA background, all kinds of stuff. Got a couple of pictures with him and he couldn't have been nicer. He's much shorter and wider in person, and on screen he seems egomaniacal, but very chill and very real.

I guess just like all of us, they have good days, bad days.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.