UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters Being jerks to Fans

5/23/13 4:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dumbass JoeMimic
728 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh and Pat Healy is as good of a guy as you'll ever meet. Humble as shit. Phone Post
5/23/13 4:11 PM
Trollgrude11
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Mir was a complete dick to me. It was at a signing too and he wouldn't say a word or take pictures just handed out signed posters. Was never a fan after that. On the flip side wand was there too and he was awesome man. He was taking pictures of the crowd haha

This past easter I believe it was; I ran into lyoto machida at Disneyland and although he didn't speak much English he was very gracious and tool pictures. He looked way more excited taking a picture with Mickey Mouse than with me though...

Don frye is a good friend of my dads and so he is at my parents house pretty often. He will always shoot the shit with you and somehow will find a way to remind you that he hates Dana in every conversation hahaha

Uncle creepy bought my buddy drinks at a bar in San Antonio and I guess they parties all night from what I hear. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 4:15 PM
Trollgrude11
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Almost forgot Punkass from the tapout crew! He is chill as fuck! He got to talking about Ferraris and girls somehow and just chilled at the Mandalay bay for at least 2 hours just talking. And then about a month later he randomly followed me on twitter and tweeted me about his Ferrari getting pulled over haha Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 4:16 PM
ThomasBJJ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to work the door at a bar in Hermosa Beach. One day I see Vanderlei Silva and his Mgr walking by. It was two days after Vanderlei fought Yuki Kondo in pride. Pride PPVs were broadcast 1 week delay here in the US, so the fight happened on a Sunday, and wouldnt be shown here until Friday.

anyways, I introduced myself and told him I was a big fan. Both Wandy and his mgr were so nice. They came in for a while, we had a live band playing at the time, the stayed for a good 10 minutes, I told the bar mgr to get them whatever drinks they wanted on me. I happened to have a 8.5"x11" flyer for UFC 49 (couture vs Belfort 3) in my car, so I grabbed it and asked Vanderlei to sign it. He wrote all kinds of stuff on it, but it was in portugese, and I never got it translated. I still have it somewhere.

Also, I asked him about his fight with Kondo. Silva didnt speak much english, but he said "first round knock out" then he made like he had a Thai plumb and kneed opponent in the face and said "Boom!". His mgr said they were staying at the hotel just around the corner and if I wanted to go with them to watch the fight they had it on their camcorder. I said I couldnt leave cuz I was working but it was nice of them to invite me to watch it.

Oddly enough, when I watched the fight with Silva vs Kondo, he didn't knee him in the head or face. Basically Kondo fell down on his back and Silva stood over him and stomped his face with the bottom of his foot. I don't know what the hell he was talking about with the knee gesture??

That was on a Tuesday, that Saturday, Vanderlei was at the UFC 49 event and challenged Randy Couture, I believe in the octogon or at least ringside, as it was on the PPV broadcast.

I also met Vanderlei during the Autograph signing at UFC 76. He was VERY nice. Signing everything and taking multiple pics with everyone.
5/23/13 4:23 PM
athsportsnutrition
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Professional Grade Nutrition

sub for later

5/23/13 4:24 PM
ThomasBJJ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was looking for John Lewis JiuJitsu school in Vegas, and mistakenly wandered into Ricardo Pires school when it was next to the 24 Hour fitness. Met Frank Mir's dad there, but didn't realize it until many years later. This was in summer of 2000. I don't think Frank was in the UFC yet.

Anyways, talked to his dad for a good 20 mins or so, I had a Kung Fu San Soo background, and he was asking me lots of questions about it. Invited me to do a free week trial at the school.

I was determined to train at John Lewis School, and eventually signed up there for a short period of time (4 weeks) while i was in town.
5/23/13 4:26 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw Anthony Johnson walking through the UFC Fan Expo in Boston. I tapped him on his shoulder from behind and he looked like he wanted to drop me. My friend was shocked. He got all hood. He wouldn't give me an autograph (at the UFC fan expo). It was def interesting. Then I met him another time and he was really nice soo theres that.
5/23/13 4:28 PM
ThomasBJJ

At John Lewis school, I paid cash for 4 weeks training. Tony DeSouza was working the front desk and signed me up. So I'm getting ready to leave, and I said "dont i need some kind of paperwork, or receipt, to show I paid." Tony said "No, I'll be here, if anyone asks I can tell them." Jokingly, I said "I hope nothing bad happens to you, don't get hit by a car or anything" He got real serious and said "thats a terrible thing to say. I hope nothing like that happens."
5/23/13 4:30 PM
ThomasBJJ

Jens Pulver... hands down THE nicest, most generous fighter to the fans. If I win the lottery, I'll track him down and set him up for life.
5/23/13 4:36 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ran into Randy Couture in a bar at LAX airport. He wasn't a complete dick, but didn't care that I bothered either. It was borderline dick. Then waitstaff asked for pics and he told them no, so there you go...
5/23/13 4:37 PM
Dumbass JoeMimic
728 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThomasBJJ - Jens Pulver... hands down THE nicest, most generous fighter to the fans. If I win the lottery, I'll track him down and set him up for life.
Jens is awesome as fuck. Cosigned. Phone Post
5/23/13 4:39 PM
jj93
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
5/23/13 4:39 PM
AlcoholicA
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saw Cole Miller at a restaurant before UFC 88 in Atlanta. He had a blonde on his lap and a brunette giving the blonde dirty looks. I walked up, said hey and that I was going to be there for a few, but before I leave I'd come back over to get a pic. He pushed the girl off his lap, ignoring both chicks, and jumped up to take a pic right then. I thought that was cool.

Met Renzo Gracie at a bar in Charlotte where he was doing some promo stuff prior to the Hughes fight. He played Wii boxing with us and was super nice.
5/23/13 4:41 PM
Big Pun
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only fighter I ever saw showing his ass was John Lober. As he is a douche in general it really was no surprise.
5/23/13 4:42 PM
dipsheet
339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a fighter, but I was in my basement lifting weights when Joe Rogan comes down &....well, I don't think he's gay or nothin'...
5/23/13 4:44 PM
Big Pun
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta say I never met a Miletich guy who wasn't excellent to the fans. Pat even went and rolled with us back in the day. The sport was small and noone outside the fans even knew who they were at the time. I gotta say nearly all the fighters I've met were very nice to the fans and I have met alot of fighters.
5/23/13 4:50 PM
Big Pun

The funniest fighter encounter I ever had was before UFC 33. I was at the backstage offices and I was goofing around on the UG and read a thread about Dan Henderson. I turned around and Dan Henderson was behind me reading about himself over my shoulder lol. I told the UG that Dan read the thread and denied the rumor and was quickly told I was full of it. We got a pretty good laugh. I met Tito and we got him to tell us his next opponent was Wand. I reported it on the UG as usual...and was told I was full of it. Charles from Tapout was my favorite to hang out with though. He was a huge fan and we could go on about what ifs for weeks. Loved talking mma with him. Man I miss that guy.
5/23/13 4:58 PM
Giventofly99
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been to several events and met a bunch of fighters. The nicest: Jens Pulver hands down the nicest. Acted like we were being kind to him to ask for a pic and autograph. Houston Alexander, Kenny Florian, Matt Hammil all very nice. Yushin Okami is kind but barely speaks English. Oh and I met Faber and Mendes is Philly. Also both were nice but man they are small. Like they look bigger on tv than in person.

Only jerk was Bruce Buffer. Ive met him twice and man nobody loves Bruce Buffer like Bruce Buffer. Robbie Lawler wasn't mean but just didnt talk much. Like seriously, I think hes just socially akward or something...
5/23/13 5:01 PM
Big Pun

Buffer was always cool with us.
5/23/13 5:03 PM
HolyHackZack
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Agree with Jens, seemed so happy to talk with fans. 

Jimmy Lennon Jr and Big John in the awesome bracket. Those guys talked with fans for maybe the entire 6 hours of the Strikeforce show I attended.

5/23/13 5:13 PM
Shogun of Harlem
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At my 20 year High School Reunion, Dan Henderson was there. He was a really laid back, cool guy in HS and nothing changed. He came wearing a "Clinch Wear" T-Shirt and talked to everyone. He would pause, take a pic, laugh, then listen and talk. If you ever met him, you would be a instant fan on just how great of a person he is.
5/23/13 5:19 PM
Sex Chicken
1033 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stigga - I saw Anthony Johnson walking through the UFC Fan Expo in Boston. I tapped him on his shoulder from behind and he looked like he wanted to drop me. My friend was shocked. He got all hood. He wouldn't give me an autograph (at the UFC fan expo). It was def interesting. Then I met him another time and he was really nice soo theres that.

You should never touch someone you don't know. Especially from behind. Alot of people would have reacted that way. Let alone if you're semi-famous and if every five minutes someone is tapping or grabbing you, like they know you.

5/23/13 5:20 PM
CaughtItFromARua
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread is awesome.

My wife and I met Wand back in 2009 at his gym in Vegas. I parked in the lot and sort of crept up the steps trying to get an idea if it was open to the public. I didn't know if Wanderlei would be in there and if he was I didn't want to bother him (my wife stayed in the car in case it wasn't open to fans). Anyway, I see him and walk in and the dude cannot be nicer. He was awesome, this was right after his face surgery and prior to him dropping to 185. I ask if it's okay to get my wife and he says "of course my friend, of course". I wave to her to come in and by time she gets up the steps he meets her at the front door and he starts asking us a whole bunch of questions. He asked if we were locals (we aren't), where are we from (I said Delaware. I don't know what I was expecting since a lot of Americans don't know where Delaware is let alone someone not from here but I then said near Philadelphia and he acted like that was better). We ended up talking about some Pride stuff which he really liked. He was just super cool. I ended up buying a Round 5 figure of him which he signed and he kept telling us to take out our "ma-cheen" which ultimately ended up meaning camera and we took a bunch of pics with him. Again, just a super nice dude. My wife still has the pic of her and him as her Twitter avi.
5/23/13 5:21 PM
Edelweiss
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shosh1n -
Edelweiss - 
Shosh1n - I knew I'd forget a couple...

Used to see tank drinking at his favorite stool every weekend, he was always awesome, funny, and had great stories.

Also met Tyson griffin in a bar in Berkeley a few years ago, got a round of pool w him and his friends, he couldn't have been nicer.

Went to school w Jamie Yager from 5th grade through HS and he was actually a very cool friend, drove me to the airport once when I didn't have a ride. This was all long before fighting though, I have tons of stories about him.

And to complete my TuF 11 acquaintances, kyacey uscola is the biggest (insert worst insult ever here), I personally know his ex GF/baby momma, the one someone called a 10 earlier, and he has done the worst things imaginable. I'd give details but I don't want to get banned....

I called her a ten, but your post makes me think my memory of her is wrong. I met her a few times at a nightclub she worked in before she had a baby, so, maybe I remember incorrectly.

Anyway, Kyacey sure was something else, huh? I had to be careful about what I wrote too. The pitbull attack might have been karma for some things he has done. Who knows?

Haha she's definitely cute, but yeah 10 is a little much :) anyway yeah I can go into detail if you're interested via PM but you sound like you already know the types of stories I have. It was bittersweet herring about the dog attack on his nuts bc The UFC was trying to set up the Uscola/Yager grudge match for the finale. I didn't have the utmost confidence in Jamie winning, but I was thinking it would be nice for my old friend to potentially beat his ass. The dog event was a great substitute though! He definitely deserved it, and I hope he wises up at some point for his son's sake.
I've already vtfu you earlier, but I'll do it again whenever I can. Thanks for the response. I may have been really drunk when I was around her too :)

I would love a PM with some of your stories. I haven't seen him since before he was on TUF, and that's been great for me. Phone Post
5/23/13 5:21 PM
BackAndLeft
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.