UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters Being jerks to Fans

5/23/13 5:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThomasBJJ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw Bruce Buffer walking around the day before TUF 5 Finale and got his autograph on my poster. He was polite, but not super friendly. I tell you something though, I don't see it on TV, even when he's doing a sit down interview, but in person, he put out this SUPER CREEPY VIBE. I can't explain it, it was something in his eyes. Maybe he was high? I dont know, but it was disturbing. I'm a fan still and will be picking up his book soon.

Matt Hammil was probably the 2nd most friendly fighter we met. He went out of his way to come take pics and sign stuff for fans who were waiting in a long line.
5/23/13 5:26 PM
ThomasBJJ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At the Palms the day before TUF 11 finalle, met Seth Baczinsky just walking thru, no one else recognised him. He was cool as hell, and we cheered for him loudly during his prelim fight.
5/23/13 5:30 PM
Mufasa720
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread. Enough to inspire me to come out from my lurking ways.

Have met quite a few fighters at events but hands down the nicest and coolest guy ever was Ivan Salaverry. My wife and I were at a small local show. We were sitting ringside and Ivan was sitting next to us. Introduced myself and my wife and exchanged normal pleasantries. About the second fight in he gets up and heads to the concession stand. Comes back and starts eating some M&Ms. After eating a few he leans over me and offers to share some candies with my wife. She takes some and then offers me some too. Just was a cool experience. Tie that with the fact that some kid got his nose shattered and his corner threw the blood soaked towel out of the ring and hit my wifes leg and shoes it was a cool night.
5/23/13 5:31 PM
Maksemous
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard that Rampage likes to make fun of fans and that some of them get scared or intimidated.

The nicest fighter I've ever met was Lorenz Larkin. I was at the UFC gym in Corona and say a guy holding mitts for people. He was built like a brick wall. I asked him if he'd hold for me, he did. We got to talking and he told me who he was, I was amazed.

Met Hendo a few years back, I barely knew anything about MMA he was very nice. Pat Militech was pretty cool, very laid back guy.

5/23/13 5:39 PM
HolyHackZack
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like all the lurkers emerging in this thread. We never even heard who these guys thought won Machida vs Shogun.

5/23/13 5:45 PM
CMX4
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know this is a thread about fighters being dicks, but I haven't run across anything like that. My encounters were all very pleasant.

I've talked to Big Nog twice. The first time was at the opening of one of his gyms, he was taking pictures with people with his belt and signing things. When he started to sign the picture and shirt I had his pens had all run out of ink, so he sat there for what seems like hours going through all the pens he had next to him trying each one....nothing. So we waited there for someone to bring a new pen while he chatted. He was so nice, gave off a very gentle and kind feeling. I'd marry that guy.

John Fitch and Mike Swick were both super nice to me and a few other fans who had just been cut off from getting photos and things signed. They took the pictures they had on the table with them, signed them, and then came over to us to say hi and give us the photos. (This was also my second encounter with Big Nog, he wanted to do the same thing but whoever was handling him that day was being a real prick. I felt bad for Nog). I also ran into Ricco Rodriguez that day and talked a bit with him and got a picture. He was walking around without too many people noticing, but when they did they kind of swarmed him.

My best story is meeting Wanderlei...kind of. I was in Vegas several years ago for just a couple days and couldn't leave without going to his gym. It was a Sunday and about 20 minutes before they closed. I called to see if it was okay if I just came in to look around and the nice woman on the phone said it was no problem. I got there a little while later and just walked around. I saw the lady I spoke to and told her I was the guy who called and I wouldn't be there long as I didn't feel like I was bothering anyone. I walked around a bit and noticed Wanderlei in the octagon training with Mike Whitehead. As I'm standing there this short, sweaty, muscle bound dude walks by and stares at me. It took me a few seconds to realize it was Thiago Alves. I finally realize it and smile and give a nod, he returned the gesture. I didn't actually get to meet Wand as he was sparring pretty hard and long with Mike, but I did talk to his wife for a very long time. She apologized that Wanderlei was training and said I could stay longer if I wanted, but I really didn't want to bother him like that. She was so nice and I appreciated that. I also got to meet and play with their dog, it was just running around the gym which I thought was funny.

I still want to make it back to see Wanderlei one day. He was the reason I made the transition of MMA fan to actually start fighting. Even though I'm done with fighting I'd love to spar with him. It'd be a dream come true to say I got knocked out by The Axe Murderer.
5/23/13 5:46 PM
Shogun of Harlem
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dirty Harold - 
JerseyShoreTapTeam - Houston Alexander, shortly after his fight with Irvin, did an interview and mentioned at the end that fans should leave their phone #'s at the end of their fanmail because he'd "rather call them and get to know em" instead of doing the generic e-mail response thing. I figured it wouldn't hurt so I sent him a short e-mail and put my number at the end.

Sure enough, less than an hour later, I get a call from an unknown number with a 401 area code on it. I answer and it's freakin Houston Alexander! He thanked me for being a fan and told me to give him a call if he needed anything. Just a nice guy, how many athletes do that for their fans?

That is cool as fuck!

In the early days of the UFC, I sent a fan email to Mo Smith and Frank Shamrock. This was way before TUF and when MMA was close to being banned. The only news you can get was from the internet.

Both responded. The best is I told Frank good luck against Igor Zinoviev and Frank's reply was. "Thanx, don't blink"

Sure enough, he won that fight pretty fast.
5/23/13 5:58 PM
perfy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HolyHackZack - 

I was waiting outside the post-fight presser for the last Seattle fights when I saw my favorite active fighter, Nick Diaz, walk out. His brother had just got his ass kicked and he was looking pretty bummed so I think the few people outside decided to give him some space. He started to walk away and I said 'Hey Nick your my favorite fighter and I have no hair, sign my hat!' as I pulled my hat off my bald head. He got a big smile on his face, signed my hat, then dropped it and the pen on the ground and walked away. While technically I guess you could say that was a dick move, felt more like a rockstar moment. Nate walked out later and took pics and signed stuff with his eye completly swollen shut. The guys that talk to the fans after coming out on the losing side get extra respect from me.

Seems like a typical thing Nick would do. Met them both and Nick was just mad dogging everyone and then just abruptly leaves. Nate OTOH was very cordial and talkative though.

5/23/13 6:00 PM
HolyHackZack
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier pulled up in a limo in front of the Rose Garden on his way to corner Rockhold versus Tim Kennedy and just started shooting the shit with me at a stop light. None of my buddies belived this one so I tweeted for proof :-)

5/23/13 6:16 PM
ThomasBJJ

Around late August 1999, I was working on construction of the Katy Mills Mall near Houston TX. UFC 22 Was coming up with Frank Shamrock Vs Tito Ortiz. Somewhere on one the the MMA news sites (Probably Full Contact Fighter) announced that Tickets were on sale and that the event was going to be in Lake Charles Louisiana.

Realizing that i was not too terribly far from Lake Charles, I decided to try to get tickets. I call the number that was listed on the news site and talk to a very nice UFC employee whose name I can't remember right now. I asked how much are the tickets, she said general admission was $20.00, front row was $50.00. I said $50?? for front row? "yes". "How close is front row?." "Row 1, as close as you can get, about 5 feet from the cage." SOLD! give me two!
5/23/13 6:23 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

And I guess I've never really met any fighters. But, back in like 05, when I was 16. I was at the store with some friends and we saw Julio Paulino. I told my friend, "Hey I think that's Julio Paulino, a fighter from anchorage". He had no idea who I was talking about, but he asked if he should say something to him. I was like, sure, go talk to him. My friend walks up to him and says "hey" then before he could get anymore words out, julio looked at him and said "Uh, do I know you?" then walked away. Phone Post
5/23/13 6:25 PM
TheOneDylanThomas

Wanderlei seems like the nicest dude ever. Would love to meet that guy.
5/23/13 6:26 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

And I have a friend in Idaho who's dad worked with Trevor Prangley at Dave Smith Auto in Kellogg. He says trevor was really cool and would come to his house and "hang-out" with his dad, all the time. Phone Post
5/23/13 6:28 PM
ThomasBJJ

UFC 22
Prelims...

Steve Judson got KTFO'd and carried out of a stretcher!
JENS PULVER (UFC Debut)
JOHN LEWIS
MATT HUGHES (UFC Debut)
CHUCK LIDDELL
TITO ORTIZ vs FRANK SHAMROCK

After Jens fought he sat down for a little while right in front of us (on the other side of the barrier) to watch the fights and chat with fans. He seemed a little shy. His fight was announced wrong and then corrected to be a majority draw. He told us "Mr Piretti said Alfonso and me are gonna rematch for the Lightweight Championship." and i could swear he introduced himself as JAMES Pulver. I had seen his name before and thought that maybe it was a typo or that they changed his name to sound more exotic. But turns out I must have just heard him wrong. He was training with Bob Shamrock's "Shamrock 2000" team, and read many years later that on that night he was invited to come train at Militich's school. The rest is history.
5/23/13 6:31 PM
ThomasBJJ

Frank Trigg used to live in El Segundo and come to the Bar I worked at from time to time. My former roommate who also worked at the same bar told me that his wife used to date Trigg and had not a nice opinion of him.
5/23/13 6:34 PM
hackett
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThomasBJJ - At John Lewis school, I paid cash for 4 weeks training. Tony DeSouza was working the front desk and signed me up. So I'm getting ready to leave, and I said "dont i need some kind of paperwork, or receipt, to show I paid." Tony said "No, I'll be here, if anyone asks I can tell them." Jokingly, I said "I hope nothing bad happens to you, don't get hit by a car or anything" He got real serious and said "thats a terrible thing to say. I hope nothing like that happens."

You sound like a real charmer.

5/23/13 6:37 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Edelweiss -
Shosh1n -
Edelweiss - 
Shosh1n - I knew I'd forget a couple...

Used to see tank drinking at his favorite stool every weekend, he was always awesome, funny, and had great stories.

Also met Tyson griffin in a bar in Berkeley a few years ago, got a round of pool w him and his friends, he couldn't have been nicer.

Went to school w Jamie Yager from 5th grade through HS and he was actually a very cool friend, drove me to the airport once when I didn't have a ride. This was all long before fighting though, I have tons of stories about him.

And to complete my TuF 11 acquaintances, kyacey uscola is the biggest (insert worst insult ever here), I personally know his ex GF/baby momma, the one someone called a 10 earlier, and he has done the worst things imaginable. I'd give details but I don't want to get banned....

I called her a ten, but your post makes me think my memory of her is wrong. I met her a few times at a nightclub she worked in before she had a baby, so, maybe I remember incorrectly.

Anyway, Kyacey sure was something else, huh? I had to be careful about what I wrote too. The pitbull attack might have been karma for some things he has done. Who knows?

Haha she's definitely cute, but yeah 10 is a little much :) anyway yeah I can go into detail if you're interested via PM but you sound like you already know the types of stories I have. It was bittersweet herring about the dog attack on his nuts bc The UFC was trying to set up the Uscola/Yager grudge match for the finale. I didn't have the utmost confidence in Jamie winning, but I was thinking it would be nice for my old friend to potentially beat his ass. The dog event was a great substitute though! He definitely deserved it, and I hope he wises up at some point for his son's sake.
I've already vtfu you earlier, but I'll do it again whenever I can. Thanks for the response. I may have been really drunk when I was around her too :)

I would love a PM with some of your stories. I haven't seen him since before he was on TUF, and that's been great for me. Phone Post
He used to post on the forums at
Theultimatefighter.tv back in early 05. Phone Post
5/23/13 6:37 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Also, Cindy O and some guy named Frank, were both big there. Phone Post
5/23/13 6:38 PM
ThomasBJJ

Went to UFC 33, first one in vegas.

Went up a close to the broadcast position as I could get (this was probably 30 mins before the first prelim fight.) Saw Joe Rogan walking by and asked to take a pic with him. We were on opposite sides of the barrier. He says "jump over" I was like "are you sure?" "yeah, jump over". So I jump over, we take the picture, shake hands, and he walks away. I start to jump back over the barrier, and a security guy runs up to me all pissed. Was about to throw me out of the arena. I'm looking for Joe... long gone. I explained what happened, and just barely escaped getting kicked out.
5/23/13 6:41 PM
ThomasBJJ

hackett - 
ThomasBJJ - At John Lewis school, I paid cash for 4 weeks training. Tony DeSouza was working the front desk and signed me up. So I'm getting ready to leave, and I said "dont i need some kind of paperwork, or receipt, to show I paid." Tony said "No, I'll be here, if anyone asks I can tell them." Jokingly, I said "I hope nothing bad happens to you, don't get hit by a car or anything" He got real serious and said "thats a terrible thing to say. I hope nothing like that happens."

You sound like a real charmer.

Well, it was 13 years ago. I dont remember the exact words. He didnt want to give me a reciept or anything. I was just saying what if you get hit by a car or something. I got nothing to prove I paid.
5/23/13 6:55 PM
LI PWR
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phil Baroni-very friendly & funny
Kevin randleman- super nice, very talkative
Jeff blatnick - absolute gentleman
Big John McCarthy - super cool
Pedro rizzo-cool guy
TK- shocked that I recognized him in NYC JFK airport- nice guy
Frank shamrock-hysterical
Ken shamrock- not so friendly
5/23/13 7:10 PM
Rhetorical
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I went to the UFC where Liddel fought Horn in the main event, I got to meet tons of fighters. Got a picture and chatted with Evan Tanner, Mayhem, Dan Henderson, Tito, Nate Quarry, etc. There were tons of awesome fighters mingling with the crowd. By far the funnest was Mayhem, whom wasn't even fighting in the UFC at that time. He would never take a serious picture but would do something crazy as you were taking the picture like stare at the ceiling or something. Made for a fun time, for sure.

There were two fighters that acted like complete pricks. One being Frank Trigg. We all already know what kind of person he is, but he was in the main crowd and if anyone came up to ask for a photo or say hi, he waved them off and told them no. Why be in the main area where all the fighters are chatting with fans if you have no intention of interacting? After seeing him be rude to several fans, I had no interest in meeting him.

The second that was rude was Nate Marquardt. He was with his girlfriend? in the main area where all the fighters were meeting fans and he refused to talk to anyone. He just kept acting like he had somewhere else to go. Maybe he did? But he was there for a long time but kept moving anytime someone came up to talk to him. Not sure what was going on with him. But with me scoping out which fighters I'd like to try to talk to, he was definitely not one I would even consider with the way he was treating others.
5/23/13 7:14 PM
Rhetorical
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On an added note, when I met Tito, he was constantly telling everyone he was there for them and that the fans mean everything. He stayed for a long time meeting everyone and I thought it was very cool he was making such a big point to be there for the people supporting him. It was a very cool gesture at the time.

With me being such a big fight fan, I knew who John Lewis was even though he wasn't fighting much at the time and seen him eating at a McDonald's in the casino. I raised my camera to take a picture from a distance since I didn't want to bother the guy eating. He seen me, stuffed a bunch of french fries into his mouth, half of them sticking out, and waved for the camera. Was pretty funny.
5/23/13 7:28 PM
BenBJJ
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was walking back to hotel a couple miles from hotel in Natal, Brazil and this car with dark windows pulls up and the window rolls down just a crack. It was kinda back road and 10pm so felt a bit sketchy. I kept walking... Then the car pulls up again and the door opens. I thought... Ah shit, here we go... Then big smiling face greets me and says "Where you going? I'll give you a lift bro!" Was Ronny Markes. Not maybe the most known guy but is genuinely nice guy and loved in his community up there.
5/23/13 7:32 PM
Alumynabjj

Edelweiss -  I met Joe Stevenson, John Alessio, and Jay Hieron in a tiny strip club in Salt Lake City. There were probably 15 chairs in the place, one stage, and the girls wore pasties. My buddy and I were the only two patrons in the place before those guys walked in. This was right after Joe Daddy was on TUF.

We instantly recognized Joe, but not John or Jay (we only watched UFC at that point). We tentatively walked up and introduced ourselves to Joe and said we were big fans, and offered to get them some beers. Joe said they were all drinking waters that night and that the other two guys fought also. We shook John's hand, but Hieron rolled his eyes and wouldn't even acknowledge us anymore. It was funny, but we talked to John and Joe in this weird strip club for a bit. They were awesome.

I trained with Alex Stiebling. He is an abrasive guy that is always angry and rude. He seemed to always have a chip on his shoulder. I had just started training when he was retiring and going to massage therapy school. He never would go light in training and would just stomp the shit out of me.

He told me a story about a Pride fight where some Brazilian guy kicked a giant gash into his face. He was the Brazilian Killer before that, but lost his fighting desire after it. Any guesses on who that Brazilian was?

Before he was on TUF, I hung out with Kyacey Uscola a couple times. His girlfriend was a ten, but he never seemed satisfied. He was easily one of the most confident people I had ever met, but it also came off as arrogance a lot. He could drink and chew all night without a problem, which led to some near assaults with people who didn't know him.

Before he was on TUF, I also trained with Court McGee. He was a genuinely nice person. He was friendly, welcoming, and good-natured.

Before Demarques Johnson was on TUF, I knew him from the local fight scene. I was backstage at a bunch of shows with him. He was always a jackass to people. Hours before a show people would recognize him, and try to talk to him, but he would just keep his headphones on and ignore them, if they were lucky. If they weren't, he would get in their face and dance or start rapping whatever he was listening to. He would clown on people to their face and then laugh in it also. He would swear in front of kids, like Baroni, I guess. It was always weird to see him act that way around fans. He almost got in a fight, with another fighter, right before a show, because of his antics.

Matt Hughes and Jeremy Horn are really friendly and accommodating. They usually are open to fans.

Rich Franklin and George Gurgel came to my gym once, right after Rich coached TUF. A girl at the gym, that knew them, asked them to come visit the handful of guys that trained there. They showed up, refused to meet any of us, hit pads in the ring, and then left. It was weird, cause when a couple of us approached them, Rich shook his hand and said, "no, no, guys." We all shrugged it off, but it was strange.

Nick Diaz and Kit Cope came to our gym for some promotional training thing. Nick was irritated cause only a couple guys showed up to train with them. So, he just wanted to leave. Kit was a dick to every person he possibly could be, but it didn't seem personal in the least.

Anyway, I've got more, but I'm tired and feel like a gossip. Phone Post

On a side note I am real good friends with Alex Stiebling and he is honestly one of the nicest dudes in the world. He would talk about how he used to be yet said he didnt like being that way so he changed it. He is totally zen like in his attitude. Couldnt ask for a better guy. He was also my MMA coach for a hot second and I saw a couple of times where he got pissed and would work us in the ground. lol.. so I can see where you ae coming from.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.