UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters Being jerks to Fans

5/23/13 7:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BenBJJ
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was walking back to hotel a couple miles from hotel in Natal, Brazil and this car with dark windows pulls up and the window rolls down just a crack. It was kinda back road and 10pm so felt a bit sketchy. I kept walking... Then the car pulls up again and the door opens. I thought... Ah shit, here we go... Then big smiling face greets me and says "Where you going? I'll give you a lift bro!" Was Ronny Markes. Not maybe the most known guy but is genuinely nice guy and loved in his community up there.
5/23/13 7:32 PM
Alumynabjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edelweiss -  I met Joe Stevenson, John Alessio, and Jay Hieron in a tiny strip club in Salt Lake City. There were probably 15 chairs in the place, one stage, and the girls wore pasties. My buddy and I were the only two patrons in the place before those guys walked in. This was right after Joe Daddy was on TUF.

We instantly recognized Joe, but not John or Jay (we only watched UFC at that point). We tentatively walked up and introduced ourselves to Joe and said we were big fans, and offered to get them some beers. Joe said they were all drinking waters that night and that the other two guys fought also. We shook John's hand, but Hieron rolled his eyes and wouldn't even acknowledge us anymore. It was funny, but we talked to John and Joe in this weird strip club for a bit. They were awesome.

I trained with Alex Stiebling. He is an abrasive guy that is always angry and rude. He seemed to always have a chip on his shoulder. I had just started training when he was retiring and going to massage therapy school. He never would go light in training and would just stomp the shit out of me.

He told me a story about a Pride fight where some Brazilian guy kicked a giant gash into his face. He was the Brazilian Killer before that, but lost his fighting desire after it. Any guesses on who that Brazilian was?

Before he was on TUF, I hung out with Kyacey Uscola a couple times. His girlfriend was a ten, but he never seemed satisfied. He was easily one of the most confident people I had ever met, but it also came off as arrogance a lot. He could drink and chew all night without a problem, which led to some near assaults with people who didn't know him.

Before he was on TUF, I also trained with Court McGee. He was a genuinely nice person. He was friendly, welcoming, and good-natured.

Before Demarques Johnson was on TUF, I knew him from the local fight scene. I was backstage at a bunch of shows with him. He was always a jackass to people. Hours before a show people would recognize him, and try to talk to him, but he would just keep his headphones on and ignore them, if they were lucky. If they weren't, he would get in their face and dance or start rapping whatever he was listening to. He would clown on people to their face and then laugh in it also. He would swear in front of kids, like Baroni, I guess. It was always weird to see him act that way around fans. He almost got in a fight, with another fighter, right before a show, because of his antics.

Matt Hughes and Jeremy Horn are really friendly and accommodating. They usually are open to fans.

Rich Franklin and George Gurgel came to my gym once, right after Rich coached TUF. A girl at the gym, that knew them, asked them to come visit the handful of guys that trained there. They showed up, refused to meet any of us, hit pads in the ring, and then left. It was weird, cause when a couple of us approached them, Rich shook his hand and said, "no, no, guys." We all shrugged it off, but it was strange.

Nick Diaz and Kit Cope came to our gym for some promotional training thing. Nick was irritated cause only a couple guys showed up to train with them. So, he just wanted to leave. Kit was a dick to every person he possibly could be, but it didn't seem personal in the least.

Anyway, I've got more, but I'm tired and feel like a gossip. Phone Post

On a side note I am real good friends with Alex Stiebling and he is honestly one of the nicest dudes in the world. He would talk about how he used to be yet said he didnt like being that way so he changed it. He is totally zen like in his attitude. Couldnt ask for a better guy. He was also my MMA coach for a hot second and I saw a couple of times where he got pissed and would work us in the ground. lol.. so I can see where you ae coming from.
5/23/13 8:03 PM
Edelweiss
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alumynabjj - 
Edelweiss -  I met Joe Stevenson, John Alessio, and Jay Hieron in a tiny strip club in Salt Lake City. There were probably 15 chairs in the place, one stage, and the girls wore pasties. My buddy and I were the only two patrons in the place before those guys walked in. This was right after Joe Daddy was on TUF.

We instantly recognized Joe, but not John or Jay (we only watched UFC at that point). We tentatively walked up and introduced ourselves to Joe and said we were big fans, and offered to get them some beers. Joe said they were all drinking waters that night and that the other two guys fought also. We shook John's hand, but Hieron rolled his eyes and wouldn't even acknowledge us anymore. It was funny, but we talked to John and Joe in this weird strip club for a bit. They were awesome.

I trained with Alex Stiebling. He is an abrasive guy that is always angry and rude. He seemed to always have a chip on his shoulder. I had just started training when he was retiring and going to massage therapy school. He never would go light in training and would just stomp the shit out of me.

He told me a story about a Pride fight where some Brazilian guy kicked a giant gash into his face. He was the Brazilian Killer before that, but lost his fighting desire after it. Any guesses on who that Brazilian was?

Before he was on TUF, I hung out with Kyacey Uscola a couple times. His girlfriend was a ten, but he never seemed satisfied. He was easily one of the most confident people I had ever met, but it also came off as arrogance a lot. He could drink and chew all night without a problem, which led to some near assaults with people who didn't know him.

Before he was on TUF, I also trained with Court McGee. He was a genuinely nice person. He was friendly, welcoming, and good-natured.

Before Demarques Johnson was on TUF, I knew him from the local fight scene. I was backstage at a bunch of shows with him. He was always a jackass to people. Hours before a show people would recognize him, and try to talk to him, but he would just keep his headphones on and ignore them, if they were lucky. If they weren't, he would get in their face and dance or start rapping whatever he was listening to. He would clown on people to their face and then laugh in it also. He would swear in front of kids, like Baroni, I guess. It was always weird to see him act that way around fans. He almost got in a fight, with another fighter, right before a show, because of his antics.

Matt Hughes and Jeremy Horn are really friendly and accommodating. They usually are open to fans.

Rich Franklin and George Gurgel came to my gym once, right after Rich coached TUF. A girl at the gym, that knew them, asked them to come visit the handful of guys that trained there. They showed up, refused to meet any of us, hit pads in the ring, and then left. It was weird, cause when a couple of us approached them, Rich shook his hand and said, "no, no, guys." We all shrugged it off, but it was strange.

Nick Diaz and Kit Cope came to our gym for some promotional training thing. Nick was irritated cause only a couple guys showed up to train with them. So, he just wanted to leave. Kit was a dick to every person he possibly could be, but it didn't seem personal in the least.

Anyway, I've got more, but I'm tired and feel like a gossip. Phone Post

On a side note I am real good friends with Alex Stiebling and he is honestly one of the nicest dudes in the world. He would talk about how he used to be yet said he didnt like being that way so he changed it. He is totally zen like in his attitude. Couldnt ask for a better guy. He was also my MMA coach for a hot second and I saw a couple of times where he got pissed and would work us in the ground. lol.. so I can see where you ae coming from.

HAHA. Okay, so he admits that he used to be someone he didn't like. I'm glad I wasn't just being a little girl. I met him during the end of his angry days I think. He stopped training/teaching and went back to school a few months after I met him. My other trainer always spoke highly of Alex, but I just never saw it. We went out to eat a few times, and he just seemed miserable to everyone except his really close friends. You could tell he wasn't satisfied with what he was doing though. So, it's great to hear that he is Zen now. I admire him for changing the things he didn't like about himself. 

On another note, Alex is as strong as a bull and a big guy. He taught my very first jiu jitsu class, and he "sonned" me pretty quickly. He taught a few times and then another trainer took over. I had a chance to train with Alex again about 8 months later. I trained 5-6 days a week so I was hoping that I would be able to hang with him, if nothing else. Nope. His wrestling and JJ was on point.

He used to say that even though Anderson kicked a hole in his head, he was proud he was still able to get the takedown. It's crazy, because if he wasn't bleeding everywhere, he could have won (I base this upon the first Sonnen/Silva fight).

5/23/13 8:47 PM
5pointer

Met a ton as well. 4 ufc events and 4 or 5 Arnold's. No bad experiances. Chrs lytle, Mikey burnette, Houston alexander, pulver, Coleman and Baroni all held convos with wife and I. I live half hour from Franklin and several times we have chatted, very nice guy. Recently saw him at shooting range a few weeks out of cung le fight and he did not look like he wanted to be approached so I held back. I think they probably have more bad days then the avg Joe and just want to b left alone a log of the times.
5/23/13 9:00 PM
jacktripper

I once backed into Marvin Eastman in a crowded room... As much of a dick I can be on here I'm obsequiously polite IRL and apologized... He mean mugged me and have me his most menacing "wassup" Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 9:04 PM
Shanle929

My best experience was Hughes. He really helped me out before my first amateur event. I was training out of a place in Springfield, IL and my coach at the time knew him. Then he was a guest ref at the event(not on my fight) he caught up with me at the end to say congrats and give me pointers and signed my pass for access in the back saying "thanks for taking it easy on me. Welterweight champion Matt Hughes. Thought it was cool. And my worst was Nick Diaz he was doing this signing event for some local spot in NorCal. He was very short and just rude to me but really nice to the blonde behind me. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 9:08 PM
ShanTheMan
721 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ken Shammy was a dickweed to be honest. Tank Abbott and Jon Fitch are the nicest people ever imo.
5/23/13 9:10 PM
6ULDV8

It might come as a surprise to some fans, but they're people too and have their own issues, thoughts, and feelings.

They might not always be in the mood to be your best buddy every second of every day of their lives.

If they're in a bad mood leave them alone.  No problem.

5/23/13 9:33 PM
Gino_Corona

Met Matt Riddle about 2 years ago at a UFC show in Montreal. Coolest guy ever. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 9:35 PM
JCON
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with someone who posted earlier Guy Mezger is awesome.

Dude bought me a beer the first time i met him and he wasn't even drinking. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 9:45 PM
MrHughes1991
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reed Rothchild -
jacktripper - I once backed into Marvin Eastman in a crowded room... As much of a dick I can be on here I'm obsequiously polite IRL and apologized... He mean mugged me and have me his most menacing "wassup" Phone Post 3.0
Did he say 'Surprise Mother Fucker' Phone Post 3.0
HA!!! I always thought he looked like Doakes too xD Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 9:50 PM
MrHughes1991
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dumbass JoeMimic - Oh and Pat Healy is as good of a guy as you'll ever meet. Humble as shit. Phone Post
Cause he's high :) haha nah Pat seems like a good dude Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 10:00 PM
TheAficionado

Ryan Williams - 
theloser187 - In contrast me and my son saw Randy Orton Jr. in a subway eating a sub with this super hot chick. I approached Randy first and he looked at me like he wanted to kick my teeth out but as soon as he saw I was with a young kid he did a 180 and put on the "act". Took pictures and signed a napkin. Cool guy but not adult friendly.
That's scumbag got kicked out of my old unit in the Marine Corps within months of arriving. Phone Post 3.0

Haha! Yeah, I also met Handy Orton at a gym when WWE came to town. He was avoiding eye contact but I went up to him anyway. It went like this...

ME: "Hey Randy. Big fan."

Him: "I appreciate it."

*FIST-BUMP*

I walk away.

5/23/13 10:02 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
879 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you guys are lucky Randy didn't shit in your bags.

5/23/13 10:13 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
882 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheOneDylanThomas - I've read here and on other forums about fighters who have a reputation for being dickish with fans; ex. Hughes, Shamrock, Sylvia, Randy, etc. But has anyone ever personally experienced this?

I've met Hughes and Sylvia and both were incredibly cool and engaging. Besides those two, I've met maybe 20 total fighters and have never had a single poor experience.

Dana and Renzo were probably the most awesome. Met Dana in 2006 after the US v/s Canada weigh ins. I was a TUF noob and a starstruck hayseed tourist from SC visiting Vegas for the first time. Asked for a picture and he not only obliged but talked with me for five minutes. Never broke eye contact even though we were surrounded by other fans. Lorenzo or Frank was in the conversation too. (I didn't know who the Fertittas were at the time. Doh.) But they didn't have to spend so much time with me. Didnt benefit them one iota. There was nothing extraordinary about me. Great moment. I don't think Dana gets the credit he deserves for his interactions with fans.

I guess I'm a bit skeptical of the "fighter x" is a dick to his fans stories. I've only had positive experiences.

ive met all mentioned above except Timmay and they all were real cordial to me

5/23/13 10:14 PM
Barbalos

sub. great thread
5/23/13 10:30 PM
YonYones
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Koch, Guida, Benavidez, and Pulver were all awesome. The nicest guy I met was actually Brian Ebersole, reaaal cool guy.

My friend and I were in the lobby of a hotel taking a picture with Clay (very cool), and Pat Barry was sitting about a foot away with his girlfriend. We asked him if he wanted to jump in with us and he rolled his eyes.. kinda surprised me
5/23/13 10:45 PM
MrHughes1991

YonYones - Koch, Guida, Benavidez, and Pulver were all awesome. The nicest guy I met was actually Brian Ebersole, reaaal cool guy.

My friend and I were in the lobby of a hotel taking a picture with Clay (very cool), and Pat Barry was sitting about a foot away with his girlfriend. We asked him if he wanted to jump in with us and he rolled his eyes.. kinda surprised me
Really? That's surprising to me man, Pat seems like one of the coolest guys out there Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 10:56 PM
Hulk74

Forrest was a bit of a d bag when I met him. Guida and Bader are pretty nice. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 11:00 PM
TBMC
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw big nog at the zoo asked him
For a photo and a lady that was in the group he was with asked me to sign a document saying they could use footage of us in an upcoming doco
He was very nice though
Met wanderlei, the irish hand grenade and amir sodalah all very nice Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 11:01 PM
landers96
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I met both Rich Franklin and Matt Hughes, among many others, but these two really stick out. Rich Franklin IS THE MAN!!! We chatted for quite a while, he introduced me to his mom and wife and invited my friends and I out for a drink, witch we did. He is an awesome, polite guy, who did not dink, he drank milk, but his mom and wife liked to tip a few and the were awesome as well. JUST ABSOLUTELY GREAT PEOPLE!! Matt on the other hand did not want to be bothered, asked if we wanted an autograph then told us the line was long. REALLY????? The line wasn't even long, we only waited maybe 2 minutes to meet him, quite the douche.

5/23/13 11:10 PM
Shosh1n
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ah yes, can't believe I forgot Ivan Salaverry. Awesome dude, he frequently comes in to roll some gi BJJ at my gym (Marcelo Alonso's) in Seattle. Badass on the ground, always joking and helping everyone out while he's bitching them around, fun guy!
5/23/13 11:16 PM
MrHughes1991

I think the overall theme of this thread is that most fighters are good dudes, and everyone has bad days. Wanderlei seems to be generally awesome while Ken Shamrock seems to be a bag of dicks. Rampage seems like an asshole too, even though I always liked him. Just looks to me like generally everyone else has bad days from time to time Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 11:44 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sex Chicken -
Stigga - I saw Anthony Johnson walking through the UFC Fan Expo in Boston. I tapped him on his shoulder from behind and he looked like he wanted to drop me. My friend was shocked. He got all hood. He wouldn't give me an autograph (at the UFC fan expo). It was def interesting. Then I met him another time and he was really nice soo theres that.

You should never touch someone you don't know. Especially from behind. Alot of people would have reacted that way. Let alone if you're semi-famous and if every five minutes someone is tapping or grabbing you, like they know you.

Agreed. It was a quick reaction by me. But damn did he get hard for a UFC expo. It really seemed like he thought about hitting me. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 12:25 AM
Thunderhorse
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not the kind of guy who goes and asks for autographs or pictures but I've gotten to be in the near vicinity of a lot of mma "stars". Unless we have something we need to be talking about though I don't feel any need to approach them or get their attention for an interaction that they will forget immediately.

Trained with Paul Buentello a couple times and actually have hungout and watched fights with him. He's a really nice guy, even after some dickheads made comments he should have slapped them for.

Tyson Griffin walked past me on the way to the treadmill at Xtreme Couture and I was shocked at how wide the dude was, then right after that Kim Couture came in and was very polite and asked how I was doing.

During that same trip to XC I was puking in a trashcan and Amir Sadollah walked past, laughed and said, "Workin' hard huh?" This was right after TUF, he was my favorite fighter from the show and all I could do was say "Uggghhh." If I remember correctly Gray Maynard was working mitts in the cage but I may be making that up or misremembering.

Travis Lutter stood around a Podunk event looking surly. He reffed one of my first grappling matches but I never tried to talk to him. From mutual acquaintances I hear he is a good guy who is just usually grumpy. At the same Podunk event Leonard Garcia was smiling and talking to everyone who approached him but once again I said nothing.

I was standing next to the cage before a Shark Fights event and Big John McCarthy looked down at me and asked how I was doing. He is very large and it seemed nice of him to acknowledge me while he was obviously busy.

At another SharkFights event Josh Neer was in our dressing area. He has huge hands and intimidated the shit out of me sitting there waiting to fight with his very intense demeanor.

Phil Baroni was commentating at the event where I was head corner for the first time. He seemed interested in the ring girls and apparently made some comments about my shitty cornering.lol

The same event was headlined by Roger Huerta and War Machine. I was around them and Dave Menne quite a bit during the weigh ins and rules meetings but never said anything until after the fights when War Machine walked past me and I told him "Great fight." He seemed to beam and came and shook my hand and said thanks. As crazy as his rep is he seemed like one of the nicest guys at the event, especially after some no name dude acted like a big deal when I congratulated him on his fight. War Machine took time for everyone who came up to him and just had a positive vibe.

I've had much more personal interactions with many un/relatively unknown pro fighters in training or while cornering and its funny how many of them are dicks or douchebags even in passing while most of the bigger name guys seem to lack the ego and can crack a smile and give a nod.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.