UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighters Being jerks to Fans

5/23/13 11:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MrHughes1991
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the overall theme of this thread is that most fighters are good dudes, and everyone has bad days. Wanderlei seems to be generally awesome while Ken Shamrock seems to be a bag of dicks. Rampage seems like an asshole too, even though I always liked him. Just looks to me like generally everyone else has bad days from time to time Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 11:44 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sex Chicken -
Stigga - I saw Anthony Johnson walking through the UFC Fan Expo in Boston. I tapped him on his shoulder from behind and he looked like he wanted to drop me. My friend was shocked. He got all hood. He wouldn't give me an autograph (at the UFC fan expo). It was def interesting. Then I met him another time and he was really nice soo theres that.

You should never touch someone you don't know. Especially from behind. Alot of people would have reacted that way. Let alone if you're semi-famous and if every five minutes someone is tapping or grabbing you, like they know you.

Agreed. It was a quick reaction by me. But damn did he get hard for a UFC expo. It really seemed like he thought about hitting me. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 12:25 AM
Thunderhorse
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not the kind of guy who goes and asks for autographs or pictures but I've gotten to be in the near vicinity of a lot of mma "stars". Unless we have something we need to be talking about though I don't feel any need to approach them or get their attention for an interaction that they will forget immediately.

Trained with Paul Buentello a couple times and actually have hungout and watched fights with him. He's a really nice guy, even after some dickheads made comments he should have slapped them for.

Tyson Griffin walked past me on the way to the treadmill at Xtreme Couture and I was shocked at how wide the dude was, then right after that Kim Couture came in and was very polite and asked how I was doing.

During that same trip to XC I was puking in a trashcan and Amir Sadollah walked past, laughed and said, "Workin' hard huh?" This was right after TUF, he was my favorite fighter from the show and all I could do was say "Uggghhh." If I remember correctly Gray Maynard was working mitts in the cage but I may be making that up or misremembering.

Travis Lutter stood around a Podunk event looking surly. He reffed one of my first grappling matches but I never tried to talk to him. From mutual acquaintances I hear he is a good guy who is just usually grumpy. At the same Podunk event Leonard Garcia was smiling and talking to everyone who approached him but once again I said nothing.

I was standing next to the cage before a Shark Fights event and Big John McCarthy looked down at me and asked how I was doing. He is very large and it seemed nice of him to acknowledge me while he was obviously busy.

At another SharkFights event Josh Neer was in our dressing area. He has huge hands and intimidated the shit out of me sitting there waiting to fight with his very intense demeanor.

Phil Baroni was commentating at the event where I was head corner for the first time. He seemed interested in the ring girls and apparently made some comments about my shitty cornering.lol

The same event was headlined by Roger Huerta and War Machine. I was around them and Dave Menne quite a bit during the weigh ins and rules meetings but never said anything until after the fights when War Machine walked past me and I told him "Great fight." He seemed to beam and came and shook my hand and said thanks. As crazy as his rep is he seemed like one of the nicest guys at the event, especially after some no name dude acted like a big deal when I congratulated him on his fight. War Machine took time for everyone who came up to him and just had a positive vibe.

I've had much more personal interactions with many un/relatively unknown pro fighters in training or while cornering and its funny how many of them are dicks or douchebags even in passing while most of the bigger name guys seem to lack the ego and can crack a smile and give a nod.

5/24/13 12:50 AM
Thunderhorse
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh and one time I got recognized after my last fight. It was a nothing fight at a nothing event and I was a nothing fighter, but I won that fight and was walking into a 7-11 to get a forty of Olde E. I walked to the door and saw a sign that said, "Cooler broken, no cold drinks." I turned around and started walking away when some guy yelled from the cab of his truck, "Hey! When are you going to fight again?"

I turned around expecting it to be someone i knew, but when i had no idea who it was I was so shocked at being recognized I think I responded kind of coldly, but stood there and talked to him about the fights for a for a minute then walked back to my apartment with my mind bottled.
5/24/13 1:06 AM
UGK4Life
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've met Nick and Nate, Antoni Hardonk, Brendan Schaub, Rich Franklin, Tito and Chuck. They were all cool as hell. Really nice people.

I've got a signed copy of "Blood in the Cage" from Pat Miletich. He wrote on the first page: my name and said a few kind words then signed it.

Never had a bad experience with any Fighter.
5/24/13 1:12 AM
Narco Corrido
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The coolest was Eugene Jackson and Tim Lajcik. Met them at Warriors Challenge(s) in Jackson, CA back in early 90's. UFC wasn't on normal cable back then. We were talking about upcoming UFC and I commented about how it wasn't on cable where I lived. They invited me to their gym. I went. It was like I was one of their long time friends. BBQ, a little training and pointers, and then an invitationnto join them any time for training or UFC. Class act! Met Tito in Compton at West Coast No Holds Barred fights in 97. He was pretty cool too. Took pictures with me no problems. Met Frank Shamrock and Jerry Bohlander at PAL NHB fights in Roseville, CA. Both really cool. Took pictures. Met Ralph Gracie. Went to his house in Dublin to buy a Kick Skin gi. Really cool but was on Brazilian time. Gave me a private in his living room. He had a monstrous Rottweiler that wanted to eat me. His swimming pool was green. Met Chuck Liddell at Farmers Market in Avila Beach a couple years ago. He was arguing with his girlfriend. I left him alone but my wife went up to him and asked if he would take a picture with me. He said yeas. I did. Then some asshole walked up and handed him a dog and took a picture of Chuck holding this guys dog. Chuck was like...WTF? Only real dick was Ken Shamrock. Met him in Colusa, CA at Gladiators Challenge in early 00's. Asked to take a picture with him and he told me it would cost $20. I laughed and stood by him and he stepped away like he was going to smack me and said he wasnt bulshitting that it would cost $20. I just walked away as he mumbled something under his breath.
5/24/13 1:17 AM
Alumynabjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edelweiss - 
Alumynabjj - 
Edelweiss -  I met Joe Stevenson, John Alessio, and Jay Hieron in a tiny strip club in Salt Lake City. There were probably 15 chairs in the place, one stage, and the girls wore pasties. My buddy and I were the only two patrons in the place before those guys walked in. This was right after Joe Daddy was on TUF.

We instantly recognized Joe, but not John or Jay (we only watched UFC at that point). We tentatively walked up and introduced ourselves to Joe and said we were big fans, and offered to get them some beers. Joe said they were all drinking waters that night and that the other two guys fought also. We shook John's hand, but Hieron rolled his eyes and wouldn't even acknowledge us anymore. It was funny, but we talked to John and Joe in this weird strip club for a bit. They were awesome.

I trained with Alex Stiebling. He is an abrasive guy that is always angry and rude. He seemed to always have a chip on his shoulder. I had just started training when he was retiring and going to massage therapy school. He never would go light in training and would just stomp the shit out of me.

He told me a story about a Pride fight where some Brazilian guy kicked a giant gash into his face. He was the Brazilian Killer before that, but lost his fighting desire after it. Any guesses on who that Brazilian was?

Before he was on TUF, I hung out with Kyacey Uscola a couple times. His girlfriend was a ten, but he never seemed satisfied. He was easily one of the most confident people I had ever met, but it also came off as arrogance a lot. He could drink and chew all night without a problem, which led to some near assaults with people who didn't know him.

Before he was on TUF, I also trained with Court McGee. He was a genuinely nice person. He was friendly, welcoming, and good-natured.

Before Demarques Johnson was on TUF, I knew him from the local fight scene. I was backstage at a bunch of shows with him. He was always a jackass to people. Hours before a show people would recognize him, and try to talk to him, but he would just keep his headphones on and ignore them, if they were lucky. If they weren't, he would get in their face and dance or start rapping whatever he was listening to. He would clown on people to their face and then laugh in it also. He would swear in front of kids, like Baroni, I guess. It was always weird to see him act that way around fans. He almost got in a fight, with another fighter, right before a show, because of his antics.

Matt Hughes and Jeremy Horn are really friendly and accommodating. They usually are open to fans.

Rich Franklin and George Gurgel came to my gym once, right after Rich coached TUF. A girl at the gym, that knew them, asked them to come visit the handful of guys that trained there. They showed up, refused to meet any of us, hit pads in the ring, and then left. It was weird, cause when a couple of us approached them, Rich shook his hand and said, "no, no, guys." We all shrugged it off, but it was strange.

Nick Diaz and Kit Cope came to our gym for some promotional training thing. Nick was irritated cause only a couple guys showed up to train with them. So, he just wanted to leave. Kit was a dick to every person he possibly could be, but it didn't seem personal in the least.

Anyway, I've got more, but I'm tired and feel like a gossip. Phone Post

On a side note I am real good friends with Alex Stiebling and he is honestly one of the nicest dudes in the world. He would talk about how he used to be yet said he didnt like being that way so he changed it. He is totally zen like in his attitude. Couldnt ask for a better guy. He was also my MMA coach for a hot second and I saw a couple of times where he got pissed and would work us in the ground. lol.. so I can see where you ae coming from.

HAHA. Okay, so he admits that he used to be someone he didn't like. I'm glad I wasn't just being a little girl. I met him during the end of his angry days I think. He stopped training/teaching and went back to school a few months after I met him. My other trainer always spoke highly of Alex, but I just never saw it. We went out to eat a few times, and he just seemed miserable to everyone except his really close friends. You could tell he wasn't satisfied with what he was doing though. So, it's great to hear that he is Zen now. I admire him for changing the things he didn't like about himself. 

On another note, Alex is as strong as a bull and a big guy. He taught my very first jiu jitsu class, and he "sonned" me pretty quickly. He taught a few times and then another trainer took over. I had a chance to train with Alex again about 8 months later. I trained 5-6 days a week so I was hoping that I would be able to hang with him, if nothing else. Nope. His wrestling and JJ was on point.

He used to say that even though Anderson kicked a hole in his head, he was proud he was still able to get the takedown. It's crazy, because if he wasn't bleeding everywhere, he could have won (I base this upon the first Sonnen/Silva fight).

Yeah, also he just doesnt open up much until he gets to know you and since when he doesnt smile he looks uber angry he can come off the wrong way yet since I have the same thing going on I never really hold that against folks. Also he is a bit of a smart ass which I like as its never mean spirited.

Here are a couple of interesting Alex Stiebling stories. Helio Soneca get him that fight in Jungle fights where he fought Ninja and during training for that fight about three weeks out he popped out a rib and couldnt even hardly train at all hence why he initially didnt make weight yet he still showed to fight.

The funniest one is the first time he came to bjj class and my buddy turns to me and says, "See that big mother fucker over there? I'm going to tap him out" I looked at him and said, "Good fucking luck the dude has fought in UFC and Pride" My friends face dropped and was like, "ok maybe im not". I still wish to this day I hadnt told him and egged him on just to see his expression after Alex smashed him.

He also said he was ringside for the Nog and Fedor fight and said it was the most disturbing thing he ever watched. He said ever time Fedor hit nog it sounded like a coconuts banging together. He said it was so disturbing he didnt even enjoy the fight. Fucking crazy to here that.
5/24/13 1:21 AM
KOphil25
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My best friends dad trained at Reinhardt MMA here in Decatur, IL and he was a Miletich guy and Monte Cox was his manager(Reinhardt not my buddy's dad) so I had a few run ins with Hughes, Sylvia, etc. But one time me and my buddy had been out and went back to his house to watch the fights, walk in the house and Spencer Fisher is sitting on the fucking couch with Jason and Ron(the homies dad) haha and we all watched the fights together. Can't remember what fights it was but maybe Hughes-Gracie Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 1:22 AM
Bomba Tomba

Slick Jitz -  Met Ben rothwell at the UFC fan expo for UFC 148. He was seated caddy-cornered with Cain at the bsn booth. Absolute gentleman that was all smiles and loved to chat. When i asked for an autograph for my brother (who was at another booth) he asked me his name. I told him and also added, "personalized huh? Very impressive" to which he replied "these guys are just lazy if they aren't doing that" and then he turned around towards cain and said "LAZY!" I chuckled. Very funny guy Phone Post

Rothwell seemed like an awesome guy when I met him.  It happened the day of UFC 110, the event he had to pull out of on short notice.  Some friends and I were walking around Darling Harbour and saw him and some of his cornermen walking around.  Not only was he happy to stop for a photo, we ended up chatting to him about the fights that day for around 10 minutes.  He hadn't seen them as he was still pretty sick so was mostly asking questions, but was a real genuine and funny guy. 

Met a number of other fighters and UFC personalities that weekend both out on the town and at the after party too.  Wanderlei, Bader, CB, Perosh, Pokrajac, Maynard, Evans, Chandella, Buffer, Rogan, Bravo, Cain, Royce and probably one or two others I'm forgetting.  The only one that seemed like he didn't want much to do with the fans was Cain who took a couple of quick pics with fans and left.  He wasn't douchey at all, just seemed a little overwhelmed with all the attention he was getting from the fans.

5/24/13 1:29 AM
KOphil25
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KOphil25 - My best friends dad trained at Reinhardt MMA here in Decatur, IL and he was a Miletich guy and Monte Cox was his manager(Reinhardt not my buddy's dad) so I had a few run ins with Hughes, Sylvia, etc. But one time me and my buddy had been out and went back to his house to watch the fights, walk in the house and Spencer Fisher is sitting on the fucking couch with Jason and Ron(the homies dad) haha and we all watched the fights together. Can't remember what fights it was but maybe Hughes-Gracie Phone Post 3.0
PS-I'm new on here but I've been a lurker for years. Love the UG Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 1:30 AM
austinblair

Hung out with Rory Singer and Cole Miller during the time period when their season of TUF was on TV. Was real cool, I was only 13 or 14 then, so I was kind of a kid. But they were really nice and happy to sign the fight card and take pics with me.
Unfortunately I live on the East Coast and haven't gotten big in the fight scene yet. one day though, one day,
5/24/13 1:41 AM
Shosh1n

Man these are some cool stories!

Forgot I also got to have sushi with Ralek Gracie once. He was briefly dating a chick I knew and she brought him out to a group dinner. I was the only one in the group into fighting, so I sat on his other side and kinda chatted his ear off, he was really cool though.

Also, the gym I used to train at when i lived in socal is owned by tiki. My trainer there also trained both arianny and brittney Palmer. I took plenty of kickboxing classes with them, so hot!
5/24/13 1:47 AM
Shosh1n

Oh oh last one...

A good friend of mine has an al bundy story from high school about uncle creepy.

Creepy was supposed to win state in his wrestling division, came into the tournament super confident (rightly so) and was supposed to just walk through my unknown buddy. In the last minute of the match he wound up pinning Ian, and the place went bananas. Apparently creepy threw chairs and water coolers and was super pissed. My friend though he was gonna kick his ass right after the match. I have a pic of them on the podium with Ian looking pissed, I'd be happy to share it if Ian says its cool.

I asked creepy about it a while ago on here but he said he didn't remember that, and wasn't surprised bc he was doing so many drugs back then. He's definitely a different guy now, and we are both huge fans of his, but any time creepy fights he never fails to remind us of it.
5/24/13 1:49 AM
Twister Trent
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've met tons, Tom Lawlor was a coach of mine so obviously coolest guy ever. Seth Petruzelli as well. Aside, I've met Rhalan Gracie, Rob Kahn, Sean Sherk, Ben Saunders, Matt Arroyo, Corey Hill, Matt Hughes, Matt Lindland, Shane Primm, Marcus Jones, and a few more I can't quite remember. Sherk stood out as one who was very tolerant of fans and polite, but you could tell he didn't enjoy the attention. Matt Lindland told me he watched my match (met him at NAGA) and said I had a very bright future. Rhalan Gracie is a great guy, told me I did great work on the mat after a tough loss and told me to persevere and that I did well. Hughes wasn't relatively awful now that I think of it, I feel like I just caught him on a rough day. I trained with Corey Hill a few times and found him to be very enjoyable to be around. Did say it gets annoying being asked about his leg 3 years after the incident though, lol. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 2:47 AM
Shinsplint
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did a seminar with Mark Hominik, really nice guy. But i was paying him. Showed me some pointers for liver shots.

Also one time I seen Dan Henderson in Denver airport. I waved at him from one treadmill to the other. He didn't see me. His arm candy was quite nice to look at though so I can't blame him.

Cool story bro.
5/24/13 3:22 AM
dallow
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theloser187 - The closest I met to being a "dick" and he wasn't was Royce Gracie. He was really cold and we were being polite. I was there with my son and we wanted an autograph. My son was excited to see him but Royce looked like he wanted to slap the shit out of us and was really realy grumpy. Kind of regretted it as my son was devastated. Royce's wife and niece were also taken aback by Royce's coldness so I guess we caught him on a bad day.

Baroni was awesome but he kept swearing in front of my young son and his young friends. He can't help it.
Royce isn't a big fan of posing for photos etc. He did a seminar for us and you could tell he wasn't massively enjoying the photo bit afterwards. My instructor said "don't put your arm around him whatever you do, he doesn't like that." He wasn't rude just a bit cold like you said. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 4:11 AM
MT11

theloser187 -
Chaelismyhero - 
theloser187 - The closest I met to being a "dick" and he wasn't was Royce Gracie. He was really cold and we were being polite. I was there with my son and we wanted an autograph. My son was excited to see him but Royce looked like he wanted to slap the shit out of us and was really realy grumpy. Kind of regretted it as my son was devastated. Royce's wife and niece were also taken aback by Royce's coldness so I guess we caught him on a bad day.

Baroni was awesome but he kept swearing in front of my young son and his young friends. He can't help it.

Haha I could totally see Phil Baroni doing that.

Yeah even funnier was he caught himself after he saw the kids were like "Wtf" and he said "Ah Jeez I shouldn't be swearing in front of the fucking kids" and then realized he just swore again. He just can't help it.
LMFAO! Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 8:50 AM
Gem City

Biggest DICKHEAD of them ALL is frank twinkle toes trigg! Hughes and k. Shamrock are assholes too
5/24/13 10:27 AM
canofsticks
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

came here expecting blood in the water. What a way better thread than intended by OP.
5/24/13 10:32 AM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gino_Corona - Met Matt Riddle about 2 years ago at a UFC show in Montreal. Coolest guy ever. Phone Post 3.0

yep.. Saw him at the Fedor-big foot fight. He was wasted, came down and sat with me and my wife for about 45 min. analyzing the fights and stuff. Had fun with him.
5/24/13 10:34 AM
Stigga

Trollgrude11 - Frank Mir was a complete dick to me. It was at a signing too and he wouldn't say a word or take pictures just handed out signed posters. Was never a fan after that. On the flip side wand was there too and he was awesome man. He was taking pictures of the crowd haha

This past easter I believe it was; I ran into lyoto machida at Disneyland and although he didn't speak much English he was very gracious and tool pictures. He looked way more excited taking a picture with Mickey Mouse than with me though...

Don frye is a good friend of my dads and so he is at my parents house pretty often. He will always shoot the shit with you and somehow will find a way to remind you that he hates Dana in every conversation hahaha

Uncle creepy bought my buddy drinks at a bar in San Antonio and I guess they parties all night from what I hear. Phone Post 3.0

He was a dick when I met him too. Wouldn't respond when I was talking to him.
5/24/13 10:38 AM
TheOneDylanThomas

canofsticks - came here expecting blood in the water. What a way better thread than intended by OP.

Come on, that's not fair. The point of my original post was that my experiences have always been beyond positive and I'm very skeptical when I hear stories of negative fan/fighter interactions.

Clearly, the skepticism was warranted. I could have titled the thread better though, obviously.
5/24/13 10:53 AM
Big Pun
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paul Buentello is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Looks like an asshole though lol
5/24/13 11:38 AM
Son of Neckbone
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheOneDylanThomas - 
canofsticks - came here expecting blood in the water. What a way better thread than intended by OP.

Come on, that's not fair. The point of my original post was that my experiences have always been beyond positive and I'm very skeptical when I hear stories of negative fan/fighter interactions.

Clearly, the skepticism was warranted. I could have titled the thread better though, obviously.

I didn't get a negative vibe at all from this thread, and read every single page. Good stuff, VU for the day.
5/24/13 11:55 AM
Fattiecorpuscle
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skids182 - I've met quite a few fighters, and the only one who wasn't cool was Diego Sanchez. The worst part about it was that we weren't interrupting dinner or anything, it was at the fan expo in Toronto. Haven't cheered for him since.

You may have caught Diego on an off day.

Funny Story:
I was at UFC 129 in Toronto. In between fights I had to run to the washroom. When I got there, there was a line out the door and kind of a commotion inside, it wasn't a fight cause everyone was still very orderly in line. As the line moved in I could see a bunch of dudes crowded around a single urinal chanting "Piss! Piss! Piss!"

As I got in closer, I could see the dude actually pissing at the urinal was Diego Sanchez!
Despite the awkwardness of the whole situation, he was super cool about it and laughed along with everyone, gave high fives all around.

As he was leaving he passed right in front of me and we made eye contact. I just gave him a bro nod and said "Hey what's up man", and he gave me a pat on the shoulder with a little "hey man" in return. Maybe he was just wiping his pee hands on my shirt, but I forgive him.

Cool guy.

I actually have a super blurry picture of him leaving the washroom somewhere on my Facebook, I'll find it. I've posted it here before too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.