UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shamrock: The UFC 'misused' Brock Lesnar

5/22/13 3:26 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1056 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC Hall of Famer Ken Shamrock recently sat for an in-depth interview with Sportnet's Joe Ferraro and talked about a myrid of topics including his own career and the UFC/MMA history in general. Of interesting note was how he spoke on the career of Brock Lesnar and how felt the UFC mismanaged his career:

I think Brock mentally got beat, but I always thought that they didn't treat Brock right either. I thought they threw him in too soon. He's fighting guys that had 20 fights in his second fight because he's so massive and so impressive. It wasn't fair to him. If he would have got groomed properly, he could've been the best fight in any weight class, best pound-for-pound ever.

read entire article...

5/22/13 3:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kostakio
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4L Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 3:36 PM
Bendo's#1beezy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
5/22/13 3:37 PM
MentaL
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thrash Athletics, CEO

Oh Ken... Lesnar knew what he was getting into. He asked for the best , got the best and made MILLIONS. 

5/22/13 3:37 PM
TheKidAintMine
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is Shammy talking about? Brock became the UFC champ after 3 fights in the org.

When Shammy says "groomed properly", does he mean if Brock hadn't gotten ill with diverticulitis? He knows that Dana didn't cause that, right?
5/22/13 3:45 PM
nolabrum
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This guy is not so bright. Had Brock gotten "groomed properly" he would have came into the UFC worked his way up a little and then his diverticulitis would have taken him out without ever achieving the greatness he did. It worked out the best possible way it could have for him. Came to the UFC beat some top ten guys. Won the UFC belt made millions and retired. I doubt he would have made it very far once his disease got ahold of him. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 5:46 PM
UGK4Life
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very interesting and insightful interview. Always liked Shamrock. Does anyone know exactly what Frank did? I've known for years that they were estranged. It seems like Frank hurt Ken in a really personal way.
5/22/13 5:48 PM
UGK4Life
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also why did you pick that Headline about Brock? The interview was about Kens life. That was one tiny segment in an almost 30 min interview. Wow.
5/22/13 6:03 PM
kevsh
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGK4Life - Also why did you pick that Headline about Brock? The interview was about Kens life. That was one tiny segment in an almost 30 min interview. Wow.

Same reason there are so many Arianny or Rousey articles, people will click anything to do with babes ... or Brock. Ken, not so much.
5/22/13 6:30 PM
MMALOGIC

no... he would have just gottent diverticulitis after fighting beating nobodies...

Im glad we got to see his epic fights before his colon was removed.
5/22/13 6:36 PM
GarlicSauce

He's right.
5/22/13 7:48 PM
Steve4192
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brock had no interest in being groomed.

Zuffa tried to talk him into taking easier fights early in his career and he refused. I remember him saying something to effect of "I'm either good at this or I'm not. Throw me in there with the best and let's see what happens. I don't want to waste my time fighting nobodies".
5/22/13 7:58 PM
Sliced
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, Ken is looking old Phone Post
5/22/13 8:02 PM
5 Round Main Event

Holy shit I kind of agree with Ken.

The truth is if they had gone a little slower with Brock we would have gotten to see him fight more and they would have made a lot more money.

But the flip side is that the guy is a total badass who began and ended his career in the UFC and fought the biggest and best fighters one after the other.

Pretty much nobody else does that, the guy's a beast.
5/22/13 8:13 PM
ShoeMoney
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy my book!, MFCEO
4l Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 8:27 PM
PeaceThroughStrength

He is right about grooming Brock,but Brock said he wanted to fight the best from the get go.
Also his diverticulitis would have affected him either way.

5/22/13 8:29 PM
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ken's math is off. Brock fought someone with over 40 fights in his second fight. Herring had 41 when he fought Brock.
5/22/13 8:41 PM
Dougie
839 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Showdown Joe used to post here...a lot. He was a Mod in fact. Since he got on tv, you never see him here anymore.
5/22/13 8:50 PM
MasterofMartialArts
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It makes sense but it doesn't at the same time. Yes, his diverticulitis would have disrupted his career before he became champ, but, if you take that out of the equation, he most definitely would be one of the best ever. HE wanted to fight the best right away though, and made lots of money. Brock with striking = unstoppable. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 8:54 PM
Lynchman
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MentaL - 

Oh Ken... Lesnar knew what he was getting into. He asked for the best , got the best and made MILLIONS. 

If you are getting seven figures, you are not going to be eased into things.

And as you said, Brock wanted to step straight into the deep end.
5/22/13 9:00 PM
Aleck911
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah if they groomed him properly he may have been UFC Heavyweight champion and he may have been in some over 1mil buy ppv's

Oh wait Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 9:17 PM
ChaosOverkill
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it might have helped him take a punch yeah. He seemed lost when he got his first hard shot to face

5/22/13 9:21 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360 - Ken's math is off. Brock fought someone with over 40 fights in his second fight. Herring had 41 when he fought Brock.

5/22/13 9:31 PM
UltimatePower
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loved his bit on Chael and adapting to stay on top.

5/22/13 10:01 PM
Uchi
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really enjoyed that interview with Ken. His comments on Brock were the least interesting thing he had to say. I'll be rooting for him to win vs Freeman.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.