UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Weidman almost signed with Bellator in 2011

5/22/13 6:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gullivers Travels
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/22/13 6:17 PM

But backed out after his uncle found a sneaky clause in their contract...

http://tapnapsnap.com/chris-weidman-nearly-signed-with-bellator-in-2011/

New York Post article http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/the_main_event/flap_top_contender_weidman_nearly_xqgTXvv3bnqzFC0e1C8NlN#axzz2U3vqkLpD
5/22/13 6:23 PM
Mihow

In for when not on phone Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 6:30 PM
MMALOGIC

and that's why the best prospects do not sign with bellator.
5/23/13 3:45 PM
NomoRomophobia
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope he took his uncle to dinner! Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 3:59 PM
Phil999
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would have been nice to actually see some of the contract wording. It just seems to be a blogger reporting what Weidman told him.
5/23/13 9:51 PM
Authority Figure

1. Where's the proof?
  2. Seems interesting that everyone is now sharing their "Bellator" betrayed me stories. I wouldn't be surprised to find out someone got paid or encouraged to push that storyline.
  3. The vast majority of Bellator fighters aren't complaining - at all.
5/23/13 10:36 PM
Haulport

I felt not signing Weidman, Miocic and Michael McDonald were huge mistakes by Bellator......

5/23/13 11:10 PM
Chris27

Authority Figure - 
  1. Where's the proof?
  2. Seems interesting that everyone is now sharing their "Bellator" betrayed me stories. I wouldn't be surprised to find out someone got paid or encouraged to push that storyline.
  3. The vast majority of Bellator fighters aren't complaining - at all.

Yeah I'm sure he is full of shit and was never offered a deal, smh.

Why would Bellator be interested in an unbeaten ROC champ who for years now Serra has been claiming is the future MW king.

He thought he was signing a two year deal but Bellator has clauses that extend the contract up to four years if you make a tournament final, win a tournament or win a title, so he didnt sign it.

5/23/13 11:12 PM
Chris27

MMALOGIC - and that's why the best prospects do not sign with bellator.

Thats not true, they have signed top prospects and they continue to sign good prospects.

Maybe more top guys are gonna wait for the UFC now since Bellator has been put on blast for their contracts and how they are handling the Eddie situation but they still sign good fighters.

5/23/13 11:25 PM
whoabro

Chris27 -
MMALOGIC - and that's why the best prospects do not sign with bellator.

Thats not true, they have signed top prospects and they continue to sign good prospects.

Maybe more top guys are gonna wait for the UFC now since Bellator has been put on blast for their contracts and how they are handling the Eddie situation but they still sign good fighters.

. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 5:04 PM
Jake Thomas
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

when i was younger and had some attention buzzing around me from a lot of the local gyms, i almost signed a deal with the man who trains and manages george sotiropoulos. it was a two year deal giving the manager the option to extend it out to 5 years. i didn't like that deal. he explained to me the reason it is done is because when you are an up and comer, it takes a lot of time and money to get you noticed and the 10-20% they are keeping from your small purse doesn't even cover their expenses as far as paying for your coaching, nutrition, and time spent promoting you as an individual. i didn't like the deal so i didn't sign. i'm still friends with the man i didn't sign with and it makes sense.

if you aren't the biggest show and trying to become the biggest show, why would you want to invest all the money and time into building a name for a guy, you believe will be a huge star and champion, if they are just going to jump ship to the UFC once they have a name? you take a risk by bringing them in, you invest time and money, and want to see a proper return from it. i believe that's the reason bellator did that.

i wouldn't have signed either, although it does make sense to me why that would be in the contract. the part where they tried to hide it is the BIG issue. the person i almost signed with told me straight up. there are things in the contract i might not like. but why would he spend all the time and money on me, a nobody to mma, if when i become a somebody, i'm just going to jump ship and go to a big gym like jackson's, att, or aka?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.