UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Too Much Protein?

5/22/13 10:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dustynothing
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm trying a new diet while I start dedicating to working out 4 to 5 days a week. Every meal is supposed to be half vegetables and half meat. On top of that I will eat a protein bar for a snack and then a protein shake after my work out. Here's the issue:

I don't feel good. I am never satisfied after my meals, my stomach doesn't feel settled during the day, I don't feel I have the energy that i should during the day, and I'm also a little constipated (which could be the issue, now that I'm typing it.) I've never eaten so much protein before. Can you eat too much? I felt a lot better when i was eating a ton of sugar and carbs. Any advice is appreciated. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 10:49 PM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You need some fats from cooking oils like olive, coconut, avocado etc. eating a lot of raw veggies also gives you that bloated cant poop feeling at first. And I would forget the protein bar. Might as well eat a candy bar. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 12:18 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shanle929 - You need some fats from cooking oils like olive, coconut, avocado etc. eating a lot of raw veggies also gives you that bloated cant poop feeling at first. And I would forget the protein bar. Might as well eat a candy bar. Phone Post 3.0

This^^ plus make sure you are getting enough fiber.
5/25/13 5:01 PM
submachine

i had the a similar experience.

i went on the paleo diet for about a year.

i went low carb paleo for half a year, but felt like shit. i then transitioned to moderate/high carb paleo for half a year. i stopped the paleo diet last may. and i still feel like shit. it fucked up my internal organs and digestion.

my adivce - get off this low carb or paleo diet, whatever you're calling it, immediately.

don't buy into the hype. the paleo diet sounds right, but i do think that in the last 10,000 years, some people have definitely evolved to live off of lots of carbs and in fact, feel optimal with lots of carbs.

learn from my mistakes, man. start eating carbs. if you want to be healthy, just eat unprocessed carbs. whole grain wheat, brown rice, etc. grains aren't bad for you. read the book "nutrition and physical degeneration" by weston a. price. it's free on the internet somewhere. tribal peoples did eat grains.

and don't worry about soaking grains, like some people say you have to do - that was never in weston a. price's book. just eat unprocessed grains.

by the way, people who eat a lot of protein have a lower life expectancy.
5/25/13 5:03 PM
submachine

oh, i re-read your post and realize that you're not on a paleo diet but a low-carb diet. my post still applies, though. mike dolce, btw, also believes that you can eat a lot of carbs (unprocessed) and still be healthy.
5/25/13 8:46 PM
Ninjaplata
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.westonaprice.org/basics/principles-of-healthy-diets

this^^ Phone Post 3.0
5/25/13 10:42 PM
dustynothing
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

submachine - oh, i re-read your post and realize that you're not on a paleo diet but a low-carb diet. my post still applies, though. mike dolce, btw, also believes that you can eat a lot of carbs (unprocessed) and still be healthy.
You are right. I haven't been eating any carbs and I've been feeling weak, moody, and it messed up my once regular digestion. Yesterday, I gave in and made a small wheat crust pizza and my mood and energy instantly improved. Phone Post 3.0
5/25/13 11:08 PM
banco

Psyllium husk will probably solve your problems.
5/26/13 1:02 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

banco - Psyllium husk will probably solve your problems.

This^^
5/26/13 2:23 AM
Shanle929

Eating a lot of vegetables isn't low carb. Veggies have carbs. Just not garbage processed kind. I'm okay with brown rice at times but just not my thing. Makes me feel bloated and tired. To each their own though. Different things work for different people. Just try and stick to what works. Healthy is a lifestyle. Not something you try for a few months. Phone Post 3.0
5/26/13 2:46 AM
HULC
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Submachine, eating a paleo diet didn't screw up your digestion or your internal organs, and high protein diets are not correlated with lower life expectancies. This forum is relatively free of these sort of unsupported scare stories and i would like it to stay that way.
5/26/13 2:57 AM
submachine

HULC, you're entitled to your opinion, but you are wrong.
5/26/13 3:02 AM
HULC
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So your evidence supporting your claim is what?
5/26/13 3:09 AM
Shanle929

I've done Paleo and pretty much do except in my protein shakes. I fell great eating that way and makes things easy and makes me look the way I wanna look. So I have to agree it doesn't mess up insides, maybe his.... We all react to different things differently. But I say try it and see. Phone Post 3.0
5/26/13 3:18 AM
submachine

i agree ^. different things work for different people. i know that i felt like shit on a low carb diet and i am not alone. obviously op feels that way too.

but some people seem to do better on a low carb diet.

but my experience is that, yes, the paleo diet did fuck me (and my internal organs) up.

paul jaminet (author of "the perfect health diet," a popular book within the paleo 2.0 world) and mike dolce both say that high protein intake leads to lower life expectancy.
5/26/13 4:10 AM
HULC

What internal organs were effected and in what way were they "fucked up"? Can you cite either author saying that?
5/26/13 6:51 AM
dustynothing

Shanle929 - Eating a lot of vegetables isn't low carb. Veggies have carbs. Just not garbage processed kind. I'm okay with brown rice at times but just not my thing. Makes me feel bloated and tired. To each their own though. Different things work for different people. Just try and stick to what works. Healthy is a lifestyle. Not something you try for a few months. Phone Post 3.0
I agree that eating healthy is a lifestyle. however, this was the diet suggested to go along with this specific 12 week work out routine I am doing. Phone Post 3.0
5/26/13 7:21 PM
Chocolate Shatner
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love to see the facts and evidence that the two "guru" authors use for stating that high protein diets lead to lower life expectancy.

Let me guess, they compared Okinawa versus the US/Europe. Of course, there are no other contributing factors like daily activity levels, polutions, genetics, etc, etc, etc. It's all the protein!
5/27/13 3:58 PM
Leigh
975 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eat more meat and veg, cut out the protein supplements. Phone Post
5/30/13 5:52 AM
MattyJ
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would think if your training 5 times a week you could get away with a sensible diet that includes carbs.

I always try to just be sensible as a rule, I know what's good for me and what's bad and try to balance it out without measuring/assessing everything I eat. Phone Post 3.0
5/30/13 1:01 PM
vermonter
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

submachine - i agree ^. different things work for different people. i know that i felt like shit on a low carb diet and i am not alone. obviously op feels that way too.

but some people seem to do better on a low carb diet.

but my experience is that, yes, the paleo diet did fuck me (and my internal organs) up.

paul jaminet (author of "the perfect health diet," a popular book within the paleo 2.0 world) and mike dolce both say that high protein intake leads to lower life expectancy.

This is patently false. In the last year, this has actually been a very popular scientific topic. In more studies than I'd care to admit to reading, high protein diets were pretty much universally associated with health and longevity.

Two recent exceptions:

1. A diet very high in protein where most of the protein comes from red meat was associated with a normal risk of disease (as opposed to a lower risk for white meats).

2. A diet high in protein where most or all comes from vegetable sources was associated with an increased risk for disease.

Aside from those, the results have actually been quite overwhelmingly in favor of high protein diets from animal sources for the purposes of health. Happily that coincides with athletics.

Another fun one is that within the last two months, one study attempted to correlate a metabolite of carnitine to disease, and blaimed red meat as a result, prompting an avalanche of studies on the topic in which the association was invalidated.

That said, recent research on said metabolite, certain preservatives and salt are pretty compelling.
5/30/13 1:22 PM
shootfighterbull

I'm easily in the best shape of my life(strength, cardiovascular, physique ;) ) and it's all because of my rest and diet. I tried every diet method under the sun, and low carb makes me weak and VERY moody. It was unlivable. Now, 99% of my carbs come from lentils and yams.

I have a physical job, and I work out almost every day. I suppose if I were a desk jockey, lower carb might work, but that's TERRIBLE if you are active. Phone Post 3.0
5/30/13 8:42 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's the deal with l-carnitine?
5/30/13 9:24 PM
redrum85
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I eat pretty much meat and veggies, some almond butter, one or two fruit a day..I use avocado and coconut oil, olive oil but only cold and I train intense 5x a week and feel awesome..works for me. I'll eat some sweet potatoes on weekends sometimes Phone Post 3.0
5/30/13 10:10 PM
vermonter
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

419 - What's the deal with l-carnitine?

A metabolite of carnitine (not human metabolite, interestingly enough, but rather that of intestinal microflora) has been correlated to disease (cardiovascular disease if memory serves). The researchers linked this to red meat in particular, which seemed sketchy as hell.

There has numerous studies before and since that cast considerable doubt on the danger of consuming carnitine laden meats, but it's still compelling stuff.

Some notes of the top of my head:

1. Circulating carnitine seems to have no correlation with disease. The metabolite, however, does.

2. Carnitine supplements in rats have been shown to produce the metabolite.

3. Pharmokinetically, carnitine supplements have been shown to have as little as (nearly) a third of the absorption rate of dietary carnitine.

4. People without the requisite microflora do not produce the disease causing metabolite. Vegetarians for example.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.