UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Too Much Protein?

5/31/13 10:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SidRon
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is the logic of he Paleo deit that we should eat what paleolithic humans ate to be healthy? If it is then I don't understand why this is good since the life expectancy of paleolithic humans was pretty shitty.
5/31/13 11:33 AM
vermonter
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SidRon - Is the logic of he Paleo deit that we should eat what paleolithic humans ate to be healthy? If it is then I don't understand why this is good since the life expectancy of paleolithic humans was pretty shitty.

Because presumably shorter average lifepans weren't related to the quality or type of food they were eating?
5/31/13 11:52 AM
shootfighterbull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter -
SidRon - Is the logic of he Paleo deit that we should eat what paleolithic humans ate to be healthy? If it is then I don't understand why this is good since the life expectancy of paleolithic humans was pretty shitty.

Because presumably shorter average lifepans weren't related to the quality or type of food they were eating?
He puts his e's before i's(not when spelling protein, oddly enough), so I wouldn't bother spelling this sort of thing out for him. Phone Post 3.0
5/31/13 12:41 PM
vermonter
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

haha, indeed. But buried within is a valid question regarding the importance of doing things just because they are "natural." Weight lifting isn't natural, but I still do that.

You have to pick and choose your battles I suppose.
5/31/13 12:42 PM
vermonter

Also, if your theory about e's and i's holds, he may just be spelling protein "wrong" but since it's backwards it comes out correct.

Just a thought.
5/31/13 3:18 PM
SidRon
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/31/13 3:19 PM
Apologies for the spelling error guys. If someone asked you why you think that eating like a paleolithic human is healthier for you then what would your answer be? Do you think that it is even possible to eat like a paleolithinc human anymore? Are the fruits, vegetables, and meats you buy in the supermarket the same that paleolithic humans had access to or have they been vastly modified over time via selective breeding? The reason I ask is that many people seem to be very dogmatic about the benefits of paleo but I rarely hear any reason other than "This is the way that humans were meant to eat". I imagine paleolithic humans ate a considerable amount of insects but I don't really see that on the paleo menu. Why not?
5/31/13 3:39 PM
shootfighterbull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SidRon - Apologies for the spelling error guys. If someone asked you why you think that eating like a paleolithic human is healthier for you then what would your answer be? Do you think that it is even possible to eat like a paleolithinc human anymore? Are the fruits, vegetables, and meats you buy in the supermarket the same that paleolithic humans had access to or have they been vastly modified over time via selective breeding? The reason I ask is that many people seem to be very dogmatic about the benefits of paleo but I rarely hear any reason other than "This is the way that humans were meant to eat". I imagine paleolithic humans ate a considerable amount of insects but I don't really see that on the paleo menu. Why not?
Naming it Paleo really just helps market it, just like the new all around nutritious food product Soylent.

Eating Paleo is clearly healthy for you, especially if you are a desk jockey or someone that doesn't work out a ton. I do work out a shit-ton, so I need my Brown Rice, Yams, and Lentils. Even the top Crossfit athletes(I only mention them because Crossfit advocates Paleo) eat these foods I've listed.

Lastly, not everyones body reacts the same. I did Paleo for 2 months and felt the a turd nugget. Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 8:32 AM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SidRon - The reason I ask is that many people seem to be very dogmatic about the benefits of paleo but I rarely hear any reason other than "This is the way that humans were meant to eat". -

If you've ever read even one of the threads about paleo on this site then you will have heard a number of different health related reasons why people eat paleo. They may or may not be correct, depending on who you believe. But if you're saying you're saying you've never heard a deeper reason than the one you gave above, i doubt you've ever been in a proper debate about paleo.
6/1/13 11:46 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are straw men on the paleo diet?
6/1/13 1:15 PM
SidRon

HULC - SidRon - The reason I ask is that many people seem to be very dogmatic about the benefits of paleo but I rarely hear any reason other than "This is the way that humans were meant to eat". -

If you've ever read even one of the threads about paleo on this site then you will have heard a number of different health related reasons why people eat paleo. They may or may not be correct, depending on who you believe. But if you're saying you're saying you've never heard a deeper reason than the one you gave above, i doubt you've ever been in a proper debate about paleo.

I haven't read any of the threads you mentioned and I have not been in a proper debate about paleo. If you don't mind point me to a link that you feel properly justifies the paleo diet.
6/2/13 9:20 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=paleo+diet
6/3/13 9:37 AM
SidRon

^^LOL
6/4/13 10:08 AM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/04/13 10:08 AM

A good overview of the study about carnitine and heart disease is here.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/new-study-links-l-carnitine-in-red-meat-to-heart-disease-201304176083

If you're too lazy, people that eat red meat have more stomach bacteria that release an artery clogging compound when they eat l-carnitine.

But don't freak out, because eating unprocessed red meat has only a weak correlation with heart disease. Bacon, sausage, lunch meats, etc... have a much higher correlation with heart disease.

And all of that may have nothing to do with a paleo/low carb eater who isn't combining at that dietary fat with massive amounts of carbs.

Really though, saying a diet 'fucked your organs up', I just cringe reading that. What does that even mean? Did you get ulcers, did you colon rot out and shit dropped into your body cavity? Did your liver explode? Or do you just mean you didn't have a lot of energy and your digestion was bad? LOL!

Best thing to do is to get bloodwork done before you start a diet and track your results.

6/7/13 1:27 PM
vermonter

I feel as though I'm talking to myself? Hello? Is anyone listening?

Vermonter - A metabolite of carnitine (not human metabolite, interestingly enough, but rather that of intestinal microflora) has been correlated to disease (cardiovascular disease if memory serves). The researchers linked this to red meat in particular, which seemed sketchy as hell.

People without the requisite microflora do not produce the disease causing metabolite. Vegetarians for example.

Then days later:

Bigslacker - If you're too lazy, people that eat red meat have more stomach bacteria that release an artery clogging compound when they eat l-carnitine.

Vermonter - A diet very high in protein where most of the protein comes from red meat was associated with a normal risk of disease (as opposed to a lower risk for white meats).

That said, recent research on said metabolite, certain preservatives and salt are pretty compelling.

Big Slacker - But don't freak out, because eating unprocessed red meat has only a weak correlation with heart disease. Bacon, sausage, lunch meats, etc... have a much higher correlation with heart disease.

:(

6/8/13 4:56 AM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just read some interesting research saying that older athletes (such as myself) actually require higher levels of protein than their younger counterparts. Another point of interest was that protein from red meat consumption seemd to show specific benefits.

TAKU

P.S. Study info:

What Dose of Protein Improves
Muscle Protein Synthesis in Middle Age and Older Men?

Robinson MJ, Burd NA, Breen L, Rerecich T, Yang
Y, Hector AJ, Baker SK, Phillips SM. Dose-dependent
responses of myofibrillar protein synthesis
with beef ingestion are enhanced with resistance
exercise in middle-aged men. Applied Physiology,
Nutrition, and Metabolism. 2013; 38: 120-125.
6/8/13 10:37 AM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vermonter - I feel as though I'm talking to myself? Hello? Is anyone listening?

Vermonter - A metabolite of carnitine (not human metabolite, interestingly enough, but rather that of intestinal microflora) has been correlated to disease (cardiovascular disease if memory serves). The researchers linked this to red meat in particular, which seemed sketchy as hell.

People without the requisite microflora do not produce the disease causing metabolite. Vegetarians for example.

Then days later:

Bigslacker - If you're too lazy, people that eat red meat have more stomach bacteria that release an artery clogging compound when they eat l-carnitine.

Vermonter - A diet very high in protein where most of the protein comes from red meat was associated with a normal risk of disease (as opposed to a lower risk for white meats).

That said, recent research on said metabolite, certain preservatives and salt are pretty compelling.

Big Slacker - But don't freak out, because eating unprocessed red meat has only a weak correlation with heart disease. Bacon, sausage, lunch meats, etc... have a much higher correlation with heart disease.

:(

LOL! I was just giving some more info and link to the study to back you up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.