UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> JDS was way overtrained for Cain

5/22/13 11:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lobo8
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He admits that he vastly overtrained for his title defense at UFC 155 on Dec. 29 against Cain Velasquez. He peaked, he said, 15 days before the bout.

He took a severe beating in losing his heavyweight championship to Velasquez via a five-round decision. The morning after the bout, his urine was a very dark brown, the color of Guinness Stout beer.

He wasn't urinating blood, as some fighters do after a grueling match. Rather, the brown coloration of his urine was due to rhabdomyolysis. His muscle fiber was breaking down and getting into the blood steam.

It is a treatable condition, but it can be fatal under certain circumstances. There are numerous causes, but one is extreme physical exercise. Dos Santos trained so fiercely that he was pushing his body well beyond its natural limits.

He's consulted with experts at Nike, and brought in Alexandre Dortas, a Brazilian physiologist, to monitor various levels in his blood. After the loss to Velasquez, doctors found that his creatine kinase (known as CK) level was far too high.

Creatine kinase is an enzyme in the blood that can be used to diagnose rhabdomyolysis. The average adult male has a CK level under 300, Dortas said. He said an elite athlete can get that level as high as 350. But after the Velasquez fight, dos Santos said his CK level was over 1,400.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--ufc-heavyweight-junior-dos-santos-fighting-worth-health-risks-181312353.html

Damn! Cain vs JDS 3 is going to be interesting......
5/23/13 12:00 AM
Anderson P. Sonnen
706 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CK LEVEL OVER 1400!? Phone Post
5/23/13 12:02 AM
UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode
594 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OVER 9000 IMO!
5/23/13 12:08 AM
Anderson P. Sonnen
706 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9000!?!?!? Phone Post
5/23/13 12:12 AM
OSBtro11

A Brazilian fighter making excuses? WOW! Phone Post
5/23/13 12:16 AM
horsemeat grew my head
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OSBtro11 - A Brazilian fighter making excuses? WOW! Phone Post
This. I like how it says "admits" he over trained. Like it pained him to say he just trained so hard that he started getting his ass whooped right when then the first round began. Phone Post
5/23/13 12:17 AM
TuLegit

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 12:19 AM
TuLegit

This does make some sense though with past countdown shows saying junior would spend six straight hours at the gym and stuff like that. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 12:21 AM
2Fort
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cain's knee was royally fucked up for their first fight, Junior is pissing muscle fiber after the second fight, what the hell is going to go wrong if they meet up a third time? one of them going to spontaneously combust? lol
5/23/13 12:23 AM
John 1

He was also going through personal problems with his wife. The loss to Cain wasn't legit because of all the issues he was having and he still gave Cain a beating.
5/23/13 12:23 AM
A bag of ricin
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha^ Phone Post
5/23/13 12:24 AM
A bag of ricin
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A bag of ricin - Haha^ Phone Post
Meant for 2fort* Phone Post
5/23/13 12:27 AM
Kid Charlemagne
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2Fort - Cain's knee was royally fucked up for their first fight, Junior is pissing muscle fiber after the second fight, what the hell is going to go wrong if they meet up a third time? one of them going to spontaneously combust? lol
Lol!!! Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 12:33 AM
Anderson P. Sonnen

2Fort - Cain's knee was royally fucked up for their first fight, Junior is pissing muscle fiber after the second fight, what the hell is going to go wrong if they meet up a third time? one of them going to spontaneously combust? lol
Fucking legit lol sir Phone Post
5/23/13 12:34 AM
huggy bear

UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode - OVER 9000 IMO!
I just broke my scouter in a rage after reading such a high power level. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 12:37 AM
jmont

lol ya, I believe they wer both injured the first fight Phone Post
5/23/13 12:40 AM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WHAT 1400?! Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 12:48 AM
12SixElbow
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like that he is having his blood checked on a daily basis this time round, and training properly.

5/23/13 12:50 AM
DRevan
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The divorce probably didn't help either.

I think THAT is what did it. You can see JDS has a heart. A real one. And he's smarter than...most people.

And I can only assume that he had to question whether his goal of being "champion" didn't have SOMETHING to do with what happened with his marriage. THAT I think ate at him. I remember watching footage of him prior to the fight...I think I remember a moment where I saw him look in the mirror...and his face didn't look....right? He didn't look like the HW Champion of the world. You know what I mean? To actually defend that belt...and become THAT fucking guy...you've gotta have THAT be "you." At least on fight night. And Junior wasn't.

I always thought it was that.

But if on TOP of that you are saying he "over trained" (probably also spurred on by turmoil at home. It's exactly what a guy like Dos Santos would do. Funnel all of "that" into training.) as well. That makes what he did on that night all the more impressive.

I don't know about everyone else. People seem to think that Dos Santos was "lessened" in that fight or something...because the talk has been how "Cain" is the guy now.

But for me...

Dos Santos became a legend that night...beyond MMA even. Just...what "human will" is. THAT is what he showed...he showed the physical manifestation...of an elite..HUMAN will...to NEVER FUCKING STOP.

Jesus Christ...as far as I'm concerned...he's still champ.

I KNOW that sounds weird...BUT

What he fucking weathered in that fight.... REALLY..? ? ? FUCKING WHAT!!! FROM CAIN GODDAMN VELASQUEZ???

Cain..fucking Velasquez....at FULL clip..in the FIGHT OF HIS LIFE. I TRULY believe Velasquez will never have a night like that again. It will be the ONLY time he's proving to HIM that he is really WORTHY of being a champion. HE knows now,and no one can take that from him. And goddamn it. Cain should be fucking PROUD. Because he DID it.

But....he knows...and THAT fire will never burn QUITE that hot again.

The scary part though...you know what else Cain knows?

Cain Velasquez knows...that out there is a man. A man who can take EVERYTHING he can do. Everything. Have almost every "random" card fall his way. LAND the big punch early. Etc. MAYBE (as this article suggests) JDS wasn't even CLOSE to peak form that night? Regardless. Cain knows there is a man who can take everything...and still keep coming.

And THAT is scary.

Because like I said...I think that night..goes that well for Cain...once. Ever.

And remember what Dos Santos knows. . .

So..yeah...

As far as I remember...on that night...Cain beat Dos Santos..BADLY for just most of that 25 minutes...hell say it was 20 minutes...22 even. But ... last I remember...Dos Santos had been beaten so badly to the point where he should have been down, out, gone...rounds ago. But..last I recall...Dos Santos was starting to come on. Am I alone in that? But really..what was so remarkable to me...was that...once Cain landed that big shot...Dos Santos didn't have time to mentally AND physically recover...because Cain kept that pressure on. But...it seemed like Dos Santos was beginning to out "endure" Cain. As sacrilegious as THAT sounds....but you know what? WE stopped the fight....not Cain. You know what I mean?

I'm not ACTUALLY saying Cain isn't the legit champ. I fully respect Cain. I love the guy. He is THE number one in the world today (on paper) without question. He is the legitimate titleholder, according to all the rules that I have gone by for a looong time.

But still...we stopped that fight. And I cannot honestly tell you...that if there wasn't a 6th that Dos Santos wouldn't have won. And I really know this sport. And from what I saw...as miraculous as it sounds..it would NOT have surprised me..if (magically) the UFC had had a 6th round policy that night.....if you told me JDS KO'd Cain in the 5th.

Boxing history is FOUNDED on that shit. Epic comeback one-shot KO's from an hour long beating...on the REG. Back in the day that shit wasn't stopped until one of the men fight FIGHTING stopped it. 25 rounds and shit. Jesus. So...knowing what I know of combat sport history...I cannot comfortably say that JDS couldn't or wouldn't have won that fight.

Because that looked like a classic "attrition" battle..and I think Dos Santos would have taken it.

For the REAL scholars I'll cite this as my proof.

It was the "A. Silva-like" reverse elbows that the "utterly exhausted" Dos Santos was throwing...and landing that convinced me that Dos Santos WILL be champion again. To take that beating and still be THAT present..THAT technical with his limited physical resources. THAT my friends...is true fight IQ/brilliance at play.

It's in the "minutiae" my friend.

..SOMEONE gif. that

THAT deserves a thread...discussion on the significance of Dos Santos' ability to be able to not only conceive of throwing the strike, but to be able to physically MAKE it happen after taking that kind of a beating...and being that tired...and not just "try" to do the move...to LAND it..on a "fresher" Cain (at that time).

That was epic.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Dos Santos....is epic. Like Ali, and Frazier and E. Griffith ... and A. Silva...he showed us what "we" are capable of.
5/23/13 12:52 AM
horsemeat grew my head
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DRevan - The divorce probably didn't help either.

I think THAT is what did it. You can see JDS has a heart. A real one. And he's smarter than...most people.

And I can only assume that he had to question whether his goal of being "champion" didn't have SOMETHING to do with what happened with his marriage. THAT I think ate at him. I remember watching footage of him prior to the fight...I think I remember a moment where I saw him look in the mirror...and his face didn't look....right? He didn't look like the HW Champion of the world. You know what I mean? To actually defend that belt...and become THAT fucking guy...you've gotta have THAT be "you." At least on fight night. And Junior wasn't.

I always thought it was that.

But if on TOP of that you are saying he "over trained" (probably also spurred on by turmoil at home. It's exactly what a guy like Dos Santos would do. Funnel all of "that" into training.) as well. That makes what he did on that night all the more impressive.

I don't know about everyone else. People seem to think that Dos Santos was "lessened" in that fight or something...because the talk has been how "Cain" is the guy now.

But for me...

Dos Santos became a legend that night...beyond MMA even. Just...what "human will" is. THAT is what he showed...he showed the physical manifestation...of an elite..HUMAN will...to NEVER FUCKING STOP.

Jesus Christ...as far as I'm concerned...he's still champ.

I KNOW that sounds weird...BUT

What he fucking weathered in that fight.... REALLY..? ? ? FUCKING WHAT!!! FROM CAIN GODDAMN VELASQUEZ???

Cain..fucking Velasquez....at FULL clip..in the FIGHT OF HIS LIFE. I TRULY believe Velasquez will never have a night like that again. It will be the ONLY time he's proving to HIM that he is really WORTHY of being a champion. HE knows now,and no one can take that from him. And goddamn it. Cain should be fucking PROUD. Because he DID it.

But....he knows...and THAT fire will never burn QUITE that hot again.

The scary part though...you know what else Cain knows?

Cain Velasquez knows...that out there is a man. A man who can take EVERYTHING he can do. Everything. Have almost every "random" card fall his way. LAND the big punch early. Etc. MAYBE (as this article suggests) JDS wasn't even CLOSE to peak form that night? Regardless. Cain knows there is a man who can take everything...and still keep coming.

And THAT is scary.

Because like I said...I think that night..goes that well for Cain...once. Ever.

And remember what Dos Santos knows. . .

So..yeah...

As far as I remember...on that night...Cain beat Dos Santos..BADLY for just most of that 25 minutes...hell say it was 20 minutes...22 even. But ... last I remember...Dos Santos had been beaten so badly to the point where he should have been down, out, gone...rounds ago. But..last I recall...Dos Santos was starting to come on. Am I alone in that? But really..what was so remarkable to me...was that...once Cain landed that big shot...Dos Santos didn't have time to mentally AND physically recover...because Cain kept that pressure on. But...it seemed like Dos Santos was beginning to out "endure" Cain. As sacrilegious as THAT sounds....but you know what? WE stopped the fight....not Cain. You know what I mean?

I'm not ACTUALLY saying Cain isn't the legit champ. I fully respect Cain. I love the guy. He is THE number one in the world today (on paper) without question. He is the legitimate titleholder, according to all the rules that I have gone by for a looong time.

But still...we stopped that fight. And I cannot honestly tell you...that if there wasn't a 6th that Dos Santos wouldn't have won. And I really know this sport. And from what I saw...as miraculous as it sounds..it would NOT have surprised me..if (magically) the UFC had had a 6th round policy that night.....if you told me JDS KO'd Cain in the 5th.

Boxing history is FOUNDED on that shit. Epic comeback one-shot KO's from an hour long beating...on the REG. Back in the day that shit wasn't stopped until one of the men fight FIGHTING stopped it. 25 rounds and shit. Jesus. So...knowing what I know of combat sport history...I cannot comfortably say that JDS couldn't or wouldn't have won that fight.

Because that looked like a classic "attrition" battle..and I think Dos Santos would have taken it.

For the REAL scholars I'll cite this as my proof.

It was the "A. Silva-like" reverse elbows that the "utterly exhausted" Dos Santos was throwing...and landing that convinced me that Dos Santos WILL be champion again. To take that beating and still be THAT present..THAT technical with his limited physical resources. THAT my friends...is true fight IQ/brilliance at play.

It's in the "minutiae" my friend.

..SOMEONE gif. that

THAT deserves a thread...discussion on the significance of Dos Santos' ability to be able to not only conceive of throwing the strike, but to be able to physically MAKE it happen after taking that kind of a beating...and being that tired...and not just "try" to do the move...to LAND it..on a "fresher" Cain (at that time).

That was epic.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Dos Santos....is epic. Like Ali, and Frazier and E. Griffith ... and A. Silva...he showed us what "we" are capable of.
FRAT Phone Post
5/23/13 12:53 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For some reason I just picture Junior standing at the urinal when all of the sudden *POOF* one of his biceps disappears.
5/23/13 12:54 AM
DRevan
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I meant "6th" on that second pass there. fucked up and said 5th..but i don't want to edit that.

5/23/13 1:04 AM
MMALOGIC

This just in... A brazilian has an excuse on why he lost.
5/23/13 1:06 AM
DRevan

MMALOGIC - This just in... A brazilian has an excuse on why he lost.

ha!
5/23/13 1:06 AM
romadant

You're high as a motherfucker, aren't you?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.