UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Falconry Question?

3/4/04 4:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cire
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Mar-04
I decided against it, due to lack of time, money & space for a bird, & difficulty in finding an master trainer. Every single day, I see a raptor or two where I am living. One day, I will have one.
9/14/05 7:54 PM
Cire
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Sep-05
ttt
9/22/05 9:39 AM
Elvis
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Sep-05

Being in wildlife rescue I once picked up a falcon.  I can only hold them for 2 days before I have to pass it on to a licensed raptor carer.  It was really cool.  It was picked up by a little girl who had it in a box and was trying to feed it seed, cabanosie, lettuce and other stupid things (thank goodness they called wildlife services straight away).

I passed it on to the carer who took it to the vet for overnight care and examination.  It had a broken bone (can't remember which one).  But they strapped it up and it died overnight (they pretty much killed the bird sadly).  Was a great experience.

Elvis

5/4/06 8:07 PM
sakers
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-May-06
Falconry is a VERY demanding sport.You'll have to have a sponsor in your State who is willing to take you as an apprentice, take a State exam, and build a mews (bird house) to spec. Besides all that, there is training, feeding, weighing, and hunting the bird almost daily during the hunting season. They are certainly not pets and not loyal like a dog. They will leave you if you they are not well trained and overfed. You can only start with either a Red tail, American Kestrel and maybe a Red shoulder in most State. And an apprentice bird must be wild trapped..only license falconer may apply a permit to take eyasses, trap or purchased one that are not mentioned.Starting with any bird besides ones mentioned above is out of the question. This sport is also not for the feint of heart. You sometimes must help kill the quarry and watch your bird tear their prey to shred!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.