UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Roy Nelson: UFC will never give me title shot

5/23/13 5:46 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Stephie Daniels has conducted yet another interview that all MMA fans have to read, this time with top UFC heavyweight Roy Nelson, who is fightin Stipe Miocic at UFC 161 on June 15, 2013 at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

The wide-ranging interview included Nelson's not very optimistics thoughts on how he could get a title shot.

"I think they're business people," said Nelson. "That's why Chael fought last month. They don't want Mark Hunt to win. They want Junior dos Santos to fight Cain Velasquez again. It just makes sense on paper. That fight can make a lot of money. When Overeem got beat by Bigfoot, that kind of messed some things up.

"I make money no matter who I fight. Do I want a shot at the belt? Yes, of course I do. Put it this way, I am Barry Sanders on the Detroit Lions. You love to watch me, but you'll never see me play in the Super Bowl. It's just one of those things. It's about politics. It's not about fighting."

So what do you think UG? If Nelson extends his first round KO streak to four, what is next for him?

5/23/13 5:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hustlewestbrook
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He can get a title shot once he beats a top contender, or anyone top 5. Sorry bud, but KOing Dave Herman and Cheick Kongo isn't going to get you a title shot, especially not ahead of the Hunt/JDS winner or Werdum (if he gets past Nog). Lets see him vs the winner of Reem/Browne if he gets by Miocic and then we will see where things are at Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 5:50 PM
Kentpaul
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beat a HW fighter that matters then he will get a shot.
5/23/13 5:51 PM
supremexb

if he wouldve beat JDS he would've had a title shot but alas he didn't.
5/23/13 5:53 PM
MrHughes1991
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has to beat the Werdum JDS and Mirs of the world first. He has to break into that next level Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 5:53 PM
wandyfan007

Roy must've just had some sour grapes...
5/23/13 5:54 PM
Malvert the Janitor
804 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Politics kept Barry out of the Super Bowl???

I thought it was a ridiculously poor offensive line and a nonexistent quarterback... Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 5:56 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
439 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He didn't have to accept the late replacement gig. But I'm sure if he wins impressively he'll be taken care of. Should have lobbied a little harder for the Cormier fight IMO. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 6:00 PM
da Vinci 81
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does he just choose to ignore the fact that he's had three fights against top ten guys and was thoroughly beaten in all of them?

In fact his fight against junior was his chance to fast track to a title shot and that was done based on his notoriety from TUF. There's some politics that worked in his favour but I don't see him mentioning that. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 6:01 PM
hooha
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He shouldn't be fighting someone coming off a loss, let alone someone who just got KO'd by Struve, who Nelson KOd a few years ago...
5/23/13 6:02 PM
Arlovskis Chin
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hustlewestbrook - He can get a title shot once he beats a top contender, or anyone top 5. Sorry bud, but KOing Dave Herman and Cheick Kongo isn't going to get you a title shot, especially not ahead of the Hunt/JDS winner or Werdum (if he gets past Nog). Lets see him vs the winner of Reem/Browne if he gets by Miocic and then we will see where things are at Phone Post 3.0
He wasn't asking for a title shot. He means he's not progressing towards the title. How is a three fight first round KO run worthy of Miocic? They're refusing to move him up the division. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 6:04 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

He's right. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 6:11 PM
Eric Bloodaxe
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think he'll get one either. Not due to politics, rather the fact that he's really good - but not quite good enough.

5/23/13 6:14 PM
MMALOGIC

Roy Doesnt get a title shot because he keeps losing to the top guys.

He lost to werdum. he lost to mir and he lost to JDS. he's not winning the fights that would give him a title shot.

beating kongo or matt mittrione doesnt give you a title shot.
5/23/13 6:15 PM
da Vinci 81
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chaelismyhero - Roy is saying he is not getting a title shot. He is right. He won't get one. Im a Roy fan BTW

Why are you guys ripping him?
Because he thinks he's not getting one because of who he is. That's not the case, he's had three chances at moving up the ladder and he's fallen back down each time.

There won't be a title shot for him because he's not good enough to earn one. That's it. Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 6:15 PM
ep915

How are you gonna act like the ufc is refusing to progress you up the ladder when you turned down a fight with cormier???
5/23/13 6:16 PM
Another Foob
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arlovskis Chin - 
hustlewestbrook - He can get a title shot once he beats a top contender, or anyone top 5. Sorry bud, but KOing Dave Herman and Cheick Kongo isn't going to get you a title shot, especially not ahead of the Hunt/JDS winner or Werdum (if he gets past Nog). Lets see him vs the winner of Reem/Browne if he gets by Miocic and then we will see where things are at Phone Post 3.0
He wasn't asking for a title shot. He means he's not progressing towards the title. How is a three fight first round KO run worthy of Miocic? They're refusing to move him up the division. Phone Post 3.0

He wasn't scheduled to fight Miocic. He accepted an offer to be a last minute replacement for Miocic's original opponent.

I don't think politics are as big of a factor as are the losses on his record. He's 0-3 against guys currently ranked in the top 10. If he gets a couple top 5 wins, including avenging one of those losses, I think people would be talking about Roy for a title fight.
SlipSlap

Kamakosmo -
wandyfan007 - Roy must've just had some sour grapes...
Yeah, like he eats fruit. Phone Post
HA! Phone Post
SlipSlap

Keeping winning and eventually they cannot deny you. Phone Post
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Kamakosmo -
Ha ha :D Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 6:18 PM
Got Reach
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jds and Cain had to get like 8 straight ufc wins each before getting a title shot so stop crying Roy, they aren't picking on you Phone Post
5/23/13 6:21 PM
Fedor219

He's the fatter American more likable version of Bisbing. Will never reach that shot Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 6:24 PM
Bjacks12
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why does he need to pick on the Lions? Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 6:25 PM
Leghound
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kamakosmo - 

LOfuckingL

5/23/13 6:32 PM
Malvert the Janitor
804 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ -

Didn't he have his chance when he fought JDS, and blew it?

No, no. It's because he's fat. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.