UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Fed up with bull$#!^ fighter conduct

5/24/13 10:39 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In January at the UFC on FOX 6 pre-fight press conference, UFC COO Lawrence Epstein announced the company had initiated a written code of conduct. The UFC’s Conduct Policy does not represent a new policy, so much as it is a codifying existing standards.

“This stuff’s already frankly been in place for many, many years and we’ve always sort of had an unwritten code of conduct that we expected our athletes to live up to," explained Epstein at the time. "Now we put it in writing, that’s really the only change. There are some teeth in the program, penalties associated with violations, but as far as we’re concerned this policy is going into effect immediately.”

The teeth have sunk in, three times so far:
•UFC heavyweight Matt Mitrione was fined enough money to "make him call me three times," and suspended for harsh comments directed at transgender fighter Fallon Fox.
•UFC Middleweight champion Anderson Silva was fined $50,000, for missing a media obligation.
•UFC lightweight Nate Diaz was fined $20,000 and suspended 90 days for calling Bryan Caraway "the biggest Fag in the world."

At the UFC 160 media day, UFC president Dana White said he thought the fines were effective.

"I am fed up with the bulls—-," said White.  "Money makes people f---ing react real quick.  Sorry's great, I love a sorry here and there, sorrys are always good.  But when you've got to start forking out some cash, you start remembering a lot more."

White also responded to fans who say fining Diaz $20,000 for use of the bigoted term "fag" is unfair, as White himself infamously used the word to refer to female reporter Loretta Hunt back in 2009.

"Do you think that I didn't pay in a million different ways for saying that word?" retorted White. "The difference is I'm really sorry for saying it. I am not a homophobe whatsoever.  When I said it, I have people that work for us that are gay, I have friends that are gay. It is a word that bothers them and it's a word that shouldn't have been said.  I had the same argument that Nate had, and I don't disagree with that argument."

Nate Diaz's manager Mike Kogan argued emphtically that the term as used by Diaz was not homophobic.

"The word faggot, at least in Northern California, and where Nate is from, means bitch," said Kogan. "It means you're a little punk. It has nothing to do with homosexuals at all. So when Nate made the comment that he made, he didn't make it in reference to homosexuals or calling Caraway a homosexual. He just said it was a bitch move."

White agreed that Diaz did not intend to use the term in a homophobic context, but he said that doesn't matter, because it is offensive, regardless of intended meaning.

"I grew up in the 80's and that was a word you used," said White.  "If you go back and watch Sixteen Candles, that word is in Sixteen Candles.  Molly Ringwald says it to Anthony Michael Hall. I was watching another 80's movie the other day where these little kids are saying it. That's the way it was.

"It's not that way anymore. It's an offensive word that they don't like and people want to call it oh we're bowing down to political correctness.  No we're not, we're being civil human beings."

White was asked if an apology from Diaz is expected.

"I'm not going to tell grown men to apologize if they're really not sorry," said White.

White was then asked if Kogan's defense cause his client more harm than good.

"Managers are scared s—-less of their clients.  No manager wants to come out and say 'he was stupid for saying that.' You're one phone call away from not working for that guy anymore. Managers don't matter. Let me put that one out there.  I don't give a s—- what they have to say or what they think or whatever. They're puppets."

As White's entree to MMA was as a manager for Chuck Liddell and TIto Ortiz back in 1997, and he avered nothing had changed since then.

"I was a puppet, too," said White.

Read entire article...

5/24/13 10:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Soul Gravy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leave fighters the fuck alone. They fight. That's all they do.
5/24/13 10:48 AM
SD CARTEL
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mix6APlix - Sounds like Dana has FOX's (The network, not Fallon) hand up his ass.

5/24/13 10:50 AM
MMAOutsider
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I assume calling reporters "cunts" is still fair game
5/24/13 10:53 AM
ausgepicht

Huge fan of BLAF, but he swears like a truck driver. Is he going to change his swearing habits. To be honest, I hope he doesn't.

5/24/13 10:55 AM
creepymcfinger

MMAOutsider - I assume calling reporters "cunts" is still fair game
Cunt is now socially acceptable Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 10:56 AM
Kirik
1925 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
Mix6APlix - Sounds like Dana has FOX's (The network, not Fallon) hand up his ass.

Dana means it. He clearly genuinely feels bad.

There was a guy I used to train with in the 80s. Tough guy. One time I was talking with him, and one of the gym instructors was goofing around and I said "Hey, get your homosexual self back to work."

The guy looked at me funny when he overheard me saying that. I didn't think about it until years later when his wife found out he had a secret life as a gay man. None of us knew. He killed himself like 24 hours later.

It haunts me, that as a society we look down on gay men so much, that they have to hide it, and are so terrified of exposure that it feels like the end of their life. It is better than it used to be, for sure, but that is because people do stuff like advocate against uncivil, bigoted terms like fag and faggot.

5/24/13 11:02 AM
trobinson21
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hate to say it but Dana is one of the biggest hypocrites I've ever seen in public. To substantiate his use of a word then imply the intent of another man's use of the same word was harmful is hilariously arrogant. Phone Post
HexRei

Kirik - 

There was a guy I used to train with in the 80s. Tough guy. One time I was talking with him, and one of the gym instructors was goofing around and I said "Hey, get your homosexual self back to work."

The guy looked at me funny when he overheard me saying that. I didn't think about it until years later when his wife found out he had a secret life as a gay man. None of us knew. He killed himself like 24 hours later.

It haunts me, that as a society we look down on gay men so much, that they have to hide it, and are so terrified of exposure that it feels like the end of their life. It is better than it used to be, for sure, but that is because people do stuff like advocate against uncivil, bigoted terms like fag and faggot.

terms which are everywhere on this board
ausgepicht

MMAOutsider - I assume calling reporters "cunts" is still fair game

If you read the article or had reading comprehension you can see that BLAF takes himself to task for doing the same thing, specifically for using the same word.

Is anyone here not terrified of anything larger than a paragraph?

5/24/13 11:05 AM
trobinson21
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

We don't, they look down on themselves. It's not society's job to comfort the inner well being of the mentality of adults.

If you are ashamed its generally because you are disappointing someone you know, a dad or brother not some random man who says Fag.

Society takes too much blame for individual problems. Phone Post
5/24/13 11:06 AM
trobinson21

ausgepicht -

If you read the article or had reading comprehension you can see that BLAF takes himself to task for doing the same thing, specifically for using the same word.

I think the glaring missed point is Dana was given to age 40 to mature past such dumb shit, but he expects a 25 year old to have the same 40 year old wisdom.

Dana was the president of a huge company when he was still dropping verbal bombs on people, he only recently matured. Phone Post
5/24/13 11:13 AM
EVIL YOSHI

trobinson21 -
Kirik -

We don't, they look down on themselves. It's not society's job to comfort the inner well being of the mentality of adults.

If you are ashamed its generally because you are disappointing someone you know, a dad or brother not some random man who says Fag.

Society takes too much blame for individual problems. Phone Post
Bingo. It's called self esteem. Esteem of your god damn self. Phone Post
5/24/13 11:13 AM
EVIL YOSHI

Can't no one tell you how to feel about you, simple bitch. Phone Post
5/24/13 11:15 AM
kungfugrip
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White wants fighters to be professional. I see nothing wrong with this at all. If you are in the public eye and represent a company, you need to know what is acceptable to say.

5/24/13 11:19 AM
Williambonney

it's just not possible to take a UFC code of conduct seriously as long as dana white is the face of the company, how can you expect better conduct from fighters when your pres tells fans and media to fuck off and calls them fags bitches etc etc
5/24/13 11:24 AM
Bobby Lupo
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

Benny Paret called Emile Griffith a fag (Griffith was a closeted homosexual in the 50s and 60s) and he Griffith killed him in the ring on live television from MSG.
5/24/13 11:37 AM
MMAOutsider
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - 

Jesus, calm down. My comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously.
5/24/13 11:41 AM
NomoRomophobia
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We all grow up sometime. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 11:42 AM
MMAOutsider

ausgepicht - 

Now I have read the article, and it makes no reference whatsoever to him calling a female reporter a cunt. It talks about the use of "faggot," which was directed toward Hunt's anonymous sources. Because of you, I read a BleacherReport article, and now I feel dumber. Hope you're happy.
5/24/13 11:45 AM
Don_Dada
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lead by example, Dana.

5/24/13 11:47 AM
nhdjoseywales

Many of you are pathetically ignorant souls who really have no clue. If you really think a gay persons issue is they think they are letting anyone close to them down then you are not only ignorant but pretty stupid as well. Are you the kind of person who would be "disappointed" in your sibling or child if they were gay? If you answer yes then it says worlds about what a piece of human shit you are.

Further, if you are "tired of gays shoving it down our throats" are you also tired of nascar rednecks shoving that down our throats? Are you tired of heavy metal headbangers shoving that down our throats? Are you tired of the fucking girl scouts shoving those god damned cookies down our throats? It would seem that anyone expressing an identity that you dont identify with would qualify as "shoving it down your throat"

Keep telling yourselves you arent homophobes but you are and you are shitty people. /rantoff
5/24/13 11:51 AM
tonytr

This issue is pretty simple, dumbasses. Dana used the word "fag" and "cunt" once each in front of the public, and he payed for them both.

Stop conflating his constant f-bombs as the same thing as the slurs that fighters have been punished for lately. They're not the same thing.
5/24/13 11:57 AM
Chris Straight

So what kind of punishment is set for driving under the influence and wrecking your car? Oh wait.... Phone Post
5/24/13 12:06 PM
ShawnTheBadger
468 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

I'm bisexual.  Mentioned it in a number of threads.  Not in the closet, don't give a shit anymore and haven't for a while.

However, I was in the closet for all the reasons you mention Kirik.

I am, by most anybodies standards, an alpha-male, and a very, very tough old man.  I threw assholes out of bars for nearly 3-decades.  Not for a couple years "making extra cash" during college.  I did it for 27-years against any and all comers in any and every bar I ever worked at.  Never, ever backed down, no matter the odds or weapons involved, including firearms.  I worked in some extremely tough, highly dangerous, every night "is a good night to die" kind of joints.  I not only survived, I thrived.

My fear was not being attacked for my homosexuality, bring it, I'm your Huckleberry, I love to fight.  Threatening me with physical violence is akin to threatening a 3rd-grader with chocolate ice-cream.  My fear was my friends and family judging me and turning their backs on me, ostrasizing me, because of an integral part of my very being and self-definition.  I can deal with bottles and fists, attending gun-fights armed with my knives, but the thought of losing my friends and family had me terrified.

I've had a personal friend of mine beaten to death in the street for merely being homosexual.  Google Paul Broussard and go to his Wiki-page.  I worked at the gay discotheque Heaven, mentioned in the Wiki, for seven (7) years of my life.  Hugged Paul less than 20-minutes before he was beaten to death by homophobes on a fucking safari.  His death via hate-crime made national news.

Another friend of mine was stabbed repeatedly on Sixth Street, Austin Texas, in the eighties for being a "faggot" about to go into "Halls" gay discotheque.  No major arteries or organs touched, he got very lucky.  If you call luck going to the ER instead of a nightclub because you were stabbed for your innate sexuality.

I've taken a lot of flak and criticism on this forum for my opinions on this subject, no matter how well stated or how civilized and reasonable.  While discussing homosexual subject matter, a favorite topic around here, I've been told that I don't know what I am talking about.  When apparently I am the only guy on the forum that has ever dealt with the subject matter first hand, the only guy to readily admit to sucking cock, and my opinion is "just some whiney PC faggot".  I should just "shut the fuck up."  The irony priceless.

White agreed that Diaz did not intend to use the term in a homophobic context, but he said that doesn't matter, because it is offensive, regardless of intended meaning.

That right there above, has been my message and arguement in pretty much all the Fallon Fox, Mitrione and Diaz threads.

"It's not that way anymore. It's an offensive word that they don't like and people want to call it oh we're bowing down to political correctness.  No we're not, we're being civil human beings."

Dana is correct in nearly every one of his statements.  Except one.  That word, faggot and it's abbreviation fag, have been hate-fueled words since 1914 in America.  Once again, in the eighties, I was ordered out of an ice-house (Texas 7-11) at the end of a loaded shotgun.  Because me and my "faggot buddy" were not welcome to buy Gatorade.  I had rocks, bottles, spit and fists flying my way with routine in the eighties, accompanied by the predictable and ever-present homophobic war-cry "faggot".  I literally have scars on my body and healed break-lines in my bones from fighting with homophobes in the streets and bars of Texas.

Good for Dana, he has earned my respect.  He is a stand-up dude to take his justified and understandable criticism, then own up to and accept, that he was in the wrong on using clear slurs towards the gay community.  Then to further modify his behavior and language, not because it is PC, because it is the right thing to do.

Mad respect for Mr. White.

No one on this forum would use the terms nigger, spic, Wop, or Kike.  Because they would be shunned, banned, and frozen to death.  Because they are afraid of the consequences.  They don't use those terms in public, because they are afraid of getting their asses righteously and justifiable beaten by a big mean stranger or strangers.  They don't use those terms at work, because they are afraid they will be shortly unemployed.

Yet folks use faggot/fag on this forum, even though it is clearly against the TOS, with utter and complete impunity.  They use it because it is easy, lazy, and they just don't give a shit who they offend.  "It's just a bunch of liberal PC bullshit, and I don't care if the whiney faggots don't like it."

Homosexuality is currently the last bastion of acceptable and tolerated bigotry in America.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.