UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Grant vs. Maynard: Low hype, high stakes

5/24/13 12:12 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC 160 Saturday night features heavyweights Junior dos Santos vs. Mark Hunt, and UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez vs. challenger Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva.

However, heavyweight is not widely held to be the UFC's most competitive division. The most competitive division is arguable lightweight, but there is a lightweight title contender bout on the main card, T.J. Grant vs. Gray Maynard, that is receiving scant attention.

Canadian T.J. Grant is on a four-fight win streak, but understands the lack of hype.

"The fans right now don't really know who I am," said Grant. "They're probably going, ‘Why is he going to fight for a title?' I know if I go out and fight the way I'm trained to do and the way I'm prepared to do, there will be a lot less people saying that when they actually get to see me fight."

UFC President Dana White kind of sneaked in the announcement at the news conference after Henderson's win against Gilbert Melendez in April. There was nothing grandiose about it; just two guys fighting, with the winner getting a title shot.

"I was a little surprised," Maynard told MMAjunkie.com. "I was happy, of course. But I was at that point in the camp where I was a little tired halfway through. It was a kick in the butt. It was a little jump-start."

"I'm on a big card. You've got Cain and Junior, two huge names and guys the whole country goes behind. It's to be expected a little bit. But afterward, there will be a lot of talk."

Read entire article...

So what do you think UG? Who will win, and get the shot at UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson?

5/24/13 12:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Blackbeltpanda
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kinda forgot about this one, should be a good fight Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 1:08 PM
RJJH
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TJ GRANT GONNA WHOOP DAT ASS!!!!

5/24/13 1:09 PM
Malvert the Janitor
851 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where do you guys typically copy and paste your articles from? Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 1:13 PM
Kevin bacon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like Jeremy Horn
5/24/13 1:14 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
He's a bad ass.
5/24/13 1:22 PM
Leck Brosnar

Awesome fight, would love to see Grant against Bendo
5/24/13 1:56 PM
fakezaga
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TIMOTHY JEROME GRANT
5/24/13 2:19 PM
kill joy
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fakezaga - TIMOTHY JEROME GRANT

War Ginger Beard!

5/24/13 4:27 PM
EG6
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would be awesome to see TJ Grant come away with the victory!
5/24/13 5:41 PM
TJGTT_Halichap

WAR TTTJ

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.