UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Weight training problems

5/24/13 6:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grappler2010
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/24/13 7:06 PM

Hi All

Over the last 4 week to try to get into better symmetrical shape for summer (i.e. that muscular but not too big look.. the kind most girls go for and not for extreme strength or sports only), I've done a 3 day split for weights.

1) back/biceps
2)Chest / triceps Forearms
3)Legs/Shoulders

NOW I HAVE TMJ in jaw for years of boxing which I no longer do.. I also have problem with my neck.. It gets tense and inflexible and I have had problems with the disc in my neck from mma (not tapping to spinals very often during my early mma days).

My question is how can I get symmetrical look without this tension in neck jaw and face which somtimes lasts for days.

Now on day 1) above back biceps I have very little tension

On day 2) the tension is still not that bad

On day 3) this is where I look real angry. I don't know if its the squats doing it or shoulder exercises but it must be that because what else could effect neck, and face tension and my tmj?

On day 1) back biceps day I do deadlifts yet find no problem with neck and face.

But on day 3 I do legs and shoulders (squat , calf raise, leg press, shoulder press, lateral shoulder extension, rear deltold extension) and look really tense and almost jaw clenched with tension after into the next day.

The thing is I am 43 and was advised to do exercises like squats because I have low T at my age and need to increase it. I hear squats help.

i do shoulder exercises because I have narrow shoulders and need to increase width and height to look proportional. I am training for look primarily and also general health and not sports.

Can anyone pinpoint which of my exercises on day 3 is causing this tension in face and neck? If its shoulders or squats what can I do to train these important muscles and still raise my testosterone levels and stay symmetrical (wider shoulders)?

Thanks!

P.S. I have use of only 15 lbs dumbells.. i use VERY light weights do to my age and condition of joints. I can only do free weight exercises 95% of the time as my gym doesn't have machines and I never found too many machines useful anyways.

This is my full workout schedule:

Monday : Am walk jog intervals 25 min
PM Back/Biceps

Tues : Am walk jog intervals 25 min
PM walk jog intervals 40 min

Wed : AM walk jog intervals 25 min
Wed PM: Chest/Triceps/Forearms

Thurs AM: walk jog intervals 25 min
Thurs PM: Am walk jog intervals 40 min

Fri : AM walk jog intervals 25 min
Fri : PM Legs/Shoulders/abs

Sat: AM Am walk jog intervals 25 min
Sat: PM Am walk jog intervals 25 min

Sun : AM Am walk jog intervals 25 min
Sun: PM Am walk jog intervals 25 min

All jogging is done in Aerobic zone sometimes going up to 70-80% MHR for intervals. Walking is done at 60-65% mhr

Interval are 1 min jog, 2 min walk or until my pulse drops to 118 bpm or so (I am 43).. My pulse NEVER goes over 145 BPM during the cardio workouts

I never get problems during the cardio sessions and always feel fanatatic , also notice on weekends I only do cardio.. I took this workout from bodybuilding.com book and on weekends they only do cardio so the weeks tension from weights can be erased and body is more relaxed for social activities.

5/24/13 11:34 PM
shootfighterbull

You should spend less time typing and more time working out.

Also, you waited too late this year. Better luck next summer. Phone Post 3.0
5/25/13 3:12 PM
Grappler2010

Shottfighterbull

Quit trolling.. I was asking a legitimate S&C question on the forum and looking for constructive feedback. The only reason I explained in detail is so I could get accurate feedback.

As for working out I do it enough (2x day 7 days a week).. Quantity of training is not my problem.
5/26/13 10:27 PM
HUMBLED1
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Start swimming everyday if you have access to a pool. That will give you the body you want.If your not into lifting heavy,just swim. You can also google rower's endurance routine,shit is brutal.

I have no idea what tmj is,but I will occasionally massage my jaw muscles after working my neck. Supposedly tension headaches can be caused by a tight jaw.

Ok, so there you have it, my unexpert opinion. hahaha
5/27/13 1:28 AM
future_jabroni
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This may sound crazy, but I would look for a chiropractor in your area that can treat tmj. Not all of them can do it, but I know a few people who have had great results from it.
5/27/13 1:30 AM
Shanle929

future_jabroni - This may sound crazy, but I would look for a chiropractor in your area that can treat tmj. Not all of them can do it, but I know a few people who have had great results from it.
I've heard this too Phone Post 3.0
5/27/13 10:20 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/27/13 10:22 AM
Check in to ART, Active Release Therapy.

Also check in to Posture Pump, this helped my neck problems a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Posture-Pump-1000-Cervical-Traction/dp/B003DLZ0OE/ref
5/27/13 7:07 PM
Tilla

HUMBLED1 - Start swimming everyday if you have access to a pool. That will give you the body you want.If your not into lifting heavy,just swim. You can also google rower's endurance routine,shit is brutal.

I have no idea what tmj is,but I will occasionally massage my jaw muscles after working my neck. Supposedly tension headaches can be caused by a tight jaw.

Have you got a link for the Rowing routine, please?
5/27/13 9:38 PM
HUMBLED1
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tilla - 
HUMBLED1 - Start swimming everyday if you have access to a pool. That will give you the body you want.If your not into lifting heavy,just swim. You can also google rower's endurance routine,shit is brutal.

Have you got a link for the Rowing routine, please?

Its nothing too complicated,really simple plan. Scroll down to bottom of page,it lists a sample routine.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/muscular-endurance.html

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.