UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fallon Fox wins at CFA by 'Baszler' choke

5/25/13 7:40 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

CFA 11
Friday, 24 May 2013
Bank United Center
Coral Gables, FL

In the main event of the evening, Mike Kyle knocked out Travis Wiuff in just 21 seconds into their heavyweight rematch, with a left hook behind the ear. Earlier in his career Kyle faced potential suspension from the sport for life, after a series of rules infractions capped with the hospitalizing of Brian Olsen via illegal soccer kick in 2006. However, Friday night he showed exemplary sportsmanship, signalling to referee James Warring that Wiuff was done.

“Those are the shots that nobody ever expects - one shot behind the ear... it doesn’t take much," said Kyle. "Look at dos Santos and Cain in their first match. Same type of shot... I was trying to tell the ref that he was done - I saw his eyes roll back. The ref did what he could to let him defend himself, but I really don’t want to hurt anyone out here.”

It was the semi-finals of the woman's tournament that received the most coverage nationally, as the co-main event featured transgendered fighter Fallon Fox. Fox has been subject to sometimes ferocious criticism for fighting in the women's division, despite having been a man her first 22 years.

However, worrying about whether Fox's bone density offers a unfair advantage is theoretical. Fox has now actually fought professsionally three times, and although she is undefeated, she does not appear to have any remarkable advantage over her female opponents.

Fox's previous fight vs. Ericka Newsome ended via knee in just 39 seconds, leading many to call the bout unfair, even criminal. However, Newsome felt otherwise.

"She never really landed a punch on me," said Newsome to Girl-jitsu.com shortly after the fight. "I took her down pretty easily and felt dominant. She caught me with a knee and the referee stopped the fight. I – and my corner – thought the fight was stopped prematurely. I felt like I recovered quickly; I was aware and had my wits about me. We felt the fight should have gone on."

Another former opponent, this time in grappling, is med student Hillary Williams, who likewise said Fox is nothing unusual.

"I competed against her in 2010 and nothing, behavior, strength, etc. would have clued me into her being anything other than biologically female," said Williams. "Not to mention the doctors showing her levels are good. Gender and sexual identity are so much more complicated than the scientifically illiterate like to accept, and if she's happy this way while phenotypically female (including hormone levels), well, I wish her the best."

Fox beat Allanna Jones at 3:36 of the third round, via Knee on Necky from North South. However, nothing in her performance indicated she did not belong in the division. In fact, some detractors are now saying she has no skills.

Fallon_fox_vs_allanna_jones_medium

“It’s pretty funny huh? That’s pretty hilarious,” Fox told Bleacher Report, when asked about the criticism after the fight.

"It’s all just from haters. The ones who hated me in the beginning are going to say that I had an unfair advantage, and then when I go three rounds with someone and win by submission it’s hey all the sudden… I was pretty sure that was going to happen.”

The final finish was unique, so distinct that some said it should now be called the Fox, as a choke from inside a guillotine is often refereed to as a Von Flue. However, Fox said credit goes elsewhere.

“I’ll give credit to Shayna Bazler for that one, to be honest,” said Fox. “I saw that in one of her matches one time and I was studying it and I’ve been trying to pull it off, and I finally did. It’s pretty awesome that I got to pull it off in this fight.”

Baszler is the only certified female catch wrestler in the United States. 14 of her 15 wins have come via submission, some them unique, including a chicken wing she has dubbed "The Shwing."

Fox now advances to the finals of the CFA women’s 145lb tournament, where she will face Ashlee Evans-Smith for a $20,000 purse. No date has been announced.

"It’s going to be an awesome match," predicted Fox. "Ashlee Smith is actually a little bit bigger than me. It’s going to be a hard challenge, but we’re going to rock and win this $20,000.”

Complete results

Main Card (AXS TV at 6pm PT/9pm ET)
Mike Kyle def. Travis Wiuff by knockout (Strikes) at 0:21 of round 1
Fallon Fox def. Allanna Jones by submission (Baszler Choke) at 3:36 of round 3
Luis Palomino def. Robert Washington by knockout (Strikes) at 3:26 of round 1
Sean Soriano def. Elvin Leon Brito by Unanimous Decision
Alexis Vila def. Czar Sklavos by Unanimous Decision
Ed Gordon def. Oscar Delgado by Submission (RNC) at 1:32 of round 2

Undercard
Yosdenis Cedeno def. Trent McCown by Unanimous Decision
Valdir Araujo def. Alik Tseiko by KO at 3:47 of round 3
Charles Rosa def. Aaron Steadman by Submission (Triangle Choke) at 3:26 of round 1
Jose Caceres def. Kamaru Usman by Submission (RNC) at 3:47 of round 1
Gleidson DeJesus def. Yvon Agneord by Split Decision
Rico Farrington def. Jake Gombocz by Unanimous Decision

5/25/13 9:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BTT-RyannVonDoom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad shayna's getting recognition, too bad it was with this fight.

First person to pull off a twister in mma and the only person i know of to pull it off twice. Phone Post 3.0
5/25/13 9:29 AM
Wicked smahtMF

yeah thats cute. nothing to see here folks. keep moving. just a mismatch of such magnitude that you'd almost think they were of opposite sexes. there's virtually no way that sub is a realistic option at the professional level save 1) a RIDICULOUS gap in grappling experience/ proficiency, or 2)a RIDICULOUS gap in strength. Circumstances indicate a strong probability of the latter. laughable really
5/25/13 9:50 AM
Cold shoulder
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's assault brotha! Phone Post
5/25/13 9:58 AM
Kalle Mero

Fallons strength advantage in this fight was ridiculous, and you could tell he/she was holding back in general.
5/25/13 10:31 AM
6ULDV8
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/25/13 10:31 AM

FF was told to take it easy and he did, then knee crushed a woman's throat.

LOL!

5/25/13 10:53 AM
PatrickVilone

Thought it was hilarious when Fallon pushed Jones with only 1 arm and Jones went FLYING!

This is absolutely pathetic. I have nothing against transgenders. But seriously. WHAT THE FUCK! I mean what kind of sick individual gets the idea to become a woman THEN compete in MMA??

I would like to see HIM fight Cyborg tho. Estrogen Man vs Steroid Woman.
5/25/13 10:56 AM
Ronin_jutsuka
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tatakai Fightwear, President
Kalle Mero - Fallons strength advantage in this fight was ridiculous, and you could tell he/she was holding back in general.
Agreed. Fallon, at times, seemed to man-handle Allanna.

Gotta say, though. Allanna looked good. She is going to be tough to beat. Phone Post 3.0
5/25/13 11:00 AM
6ULDV8
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He beats up one more woman and he wins 20 thousand dollars.

Holy shit that's terrific!

And please, let's take a moment to think about all these natural born women that entered a WMMA tournament that never stood a chance.

That is just fucking awesome.

This is like Seinfeld with Kramer and the Karatay.  

Hopefully real women gang up, beat the living fuck out of him, and then run him out of the sport forever.

Fucking disgusting that this is allowed.  He was a minus 1800 to 2 thousand favorite over Jones.  

Gee I wonder why?

5/25/13 11:00 AM
HexRei

"She never really landed a punch on me," said Newsome to Girl-jitsu.com shortly after the fight. "I took her down pretty easily and felt dominant. She caught me with a knee and the referee stopped the fight. I – and my corner – thought the fight was stopped prematurely. I felt like I recovered quickly; I was aware and had my wits about me. We felt the fight should have gone on."

Another former opponent, this time in grappling, is med student Hillary Williams, who likewise said Fox is nothing unusual.

"I competed against her in 2010 and nothing, behavior, strength, etc. would have clued me into her being anything other than biologically female," said Williams. "Not to mention the doctors showing her levels are good. Gender and sexual identity are so much more complicated than the scientifically illiterate like to accept, and if she's happy this way while phenotypically female (including hormone levels), well, I wish her the best."

So her opponents don't think she has an advantage, but the learned UG couch doctors know better.
5/25/13 11:02 AM
6ULDV8

Bookies must not support the LGBTQIA community and be haters.

Why else would they give odds like that?

That has to change.

5/25/13 11:04 AM
Chulio
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fox was quoted as saying 4 or 5 fights and she will ready for the UFC.
5/25/13 11:05 AM
MattBFD
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn he fucked that chick up Phone Post 3.0
5/25/13 11:08 AM
HexRei

Chulio - Fox was quoted as saying 4 or 5 fights and she will ready for the UFC.

Objectively I'd agree, but I don't think the UFC will be signing her... ever. too controversial. they'd have people boycotting the card.

Plus they don't have fights in her weight class and I'm not sure Fox can make 135.
5/25/13 11:13 AM
6ULDV8

If the UFC signed Fallon Fox for WMMA I'd be done.

Talk about the most ridiculous opportunist in the world ruining everything.

I honestly think the LGBT shield gets scrapped as soon as he steals this competition from real women.

If not, it's all so fucked up anyway that I won't care anymore.

5/25/13 11:16 AM
kevsh
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So former opponents saying that physically Fallon doesn't seem any more a man than other women they faced?

So what they're indirectly implying is that if Fallon was still a man and fought other men he'd get his ass kicked from here to next week. As a career move the sex change was the best thing Fox could've done.
5/25/13 11:23 AM
HexRei

kevsh - So former opponents saying that physically Fallon doesn't seem any more a man than other women they faced?

So what they're indirectly implying is that if Fallon was still a man and fought other men he'd get his ass kicked from here to next week. As a career move the sex change was the best thing Fox could've done.

I'm not sure that's what they were saying. One could also chalk it up to the fact that she's been on hormone therapy for seven years. Removing the testes (and well over 50% of all testosterone produced in the body) and then taking estrogen will make any man considerably weaker, reduce bone density, red blood cell production, retain more fat, etc.
5/25/13 11:23 AM
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She's got grown man strength.  How her opponents supposed to beat that?

5/25/13 11:27 AM
Card
1905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strong as a 31 year old male.

5/25/13 11:37 AM
pegson123

That was a man gentle sparring a woman

5/25/13 11:37 AM
pegson123

That was a man gentle sparring a woman

5/25/13 11:44 AM
Seedless619

"Fighter bashing" inc.

Fuck faggot fox.
No respect for this dickless Mancunt.
VD don't care. Phone Post 3.0
5/25/13 11:50 AM
Soul Gravy
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - "She never really landed a punch on me," said Newsome to Girl-jitsu.com shortly after the fight. "I took her down pretty easily and felt dominant. She caught me with a knee and the referee stopped the fight. I – and my corner – thought the fight was stopped prematurely. I felt like I recovered quickly; I was aware and had my wits about me. We felt the fight should have gone on."

So her opponents don't think she has an advantage, but the learned UG couch doctors know better.

If that's how they feel, then yes, the UG does know better.

Logic dictates a person cannot spend 30 years in one state, shift to another, and have no vestiges of the original state remaining, regardless of hormonal therapy, surgeries, etc.
5/25/13 11:55 AM
HexRei

Soul Gravy - 
HexRei - "She never really landed a punch on me," said Newsome to Girl-jitsu.com shortly after the fight. "I took her down pretty easily and felt dominant. She caught me with a knee and the referee stopped the fight. I – and my corner – thought the fight was stopped prematurely. I felt like I recovered quickly; I was aware and had my wits about me. We felt the fight should have gone on."

If that's how they feel, then yes, the UG does know better.

Logic dictates a person cannot spend 30 years in one state, shift to another, and have no vestiges of the original state remaining, regardless of hormonal therapy, surgeries, etc.

Do you know what the word "vestige" means?

ves·tige
/?vestij/
Noun

A trace of something that is disappearing or no longer exists.
The smallest amount (used to emphasize the absence of something): "without a vestige of sympathy".

If "vestiges" are what remains, I don't see that as a huge problem.
5/25/13 12:08 PM
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crossfire - Didn't read but that dude should have his fucking balls cut of for assaulting women. Phone Post 3.0

He's one step ahead of you bro. He got the axe wound now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.