UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: I want BJ Penn to retire

5/26/13 12:11 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

As has now become customary at UFC events, Dana White engages the media in a scrum. Surronded my microphones and cameras from major media outlets and MMA media outlets, White answers quick fire questions about the event and often about a random array of topics. At the post-fight media scrum, White was asked about the future of sure UFC Hall of famer BJ Penn:

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White, however, last night (Sat., May 25, 2013) reiterated his opinion during the UFC 160 media scrum (watch full video here) that he feels the proud Hawaiian should hang up the gloves once and for all.

"I want B.J. Penn to retire," White said. "Dude, you've won belts in two different weight classes, you're one of the greatest ever and you became a huge superstar. You have money, you have a beautiful family. But, it's hard man, it's hard to walk out of that arena that is packed with everyone screaming your name and you're making tons of money. It's hard to walk away from that -- really hard to walk away from that."

"B.J. is too tough for his own good," White said. "B.J. might not get knocked out, but the shots that B.J. took would have knocked out a normal human being. He's had his head bounced off the canvas like a basketball by Matt Hughes, Georges St. Pierre and Rory MacDonald just did it to him. B.J. Penn has left that Octagon looking like a fucking alien. He's too tough for his own good. You don't knockout B.J. Penn -- he absorbs every amount of punishment you give him. It doesn't mean he hasn't taken any damage … he's taken a lot of damage. And I don't want to see him take any more."

read entire article... 

5/26/13 12:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard he wants to fight again at 155 and id def want to see him fight again. Phone Post
5/26/13 12:18 PM
pennviachoke
928 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see one more fight but I won't be upset if he retires.

He's the GOAT ffs. Phone Post
5/26/13 12:18 PM
Gerbacio
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i hve always been a fan of BJ! one of my favorite fighters ever!

the fan in me wants more Penn!  but the father of two in me wishes he would retire now and enjoy his family and friends!

regardless of his desicion !!!

WAR PENN!!!! FOR LIFE!

5/26/13 12:19 PM
Logan Stantons finger
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just want to see one more fight at 155. Phone Post 3.0
5/26/13 12:20 PM
Cojendo
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd pay to see him fight again. I don't think he has to retire as long as he's willing to take it serious. Phone Post 3.0
5/26/13 12:21 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

dana, you just gave birth to motivated bj v. 3.0

5/26/13 12:23 PM
Porkchop

His problem is that he wants to fight at 170. Fight at 155 or retire imo.
5/26/13 12:24 PM
Anderson P. Sonnen
655 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You kidding me? The only problem BJ has now is conditioning. To say he needs to retire because he has a lot of accolades and achievements is bizarre. I mean it's not like he's been getting knocked out. Phone Post
5/26/13 12:25 PM
Silverball
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"He's had his head bounced off the canvas like a basketball by Matt Hughes"

"B.J. Penn has left that Octagon looking like a fucking alien. "

At least he's being respectful...

The Rory fight was the last fight on BJ's contract, and I think that plays into the tone of DFW's comments concerning BJ.
5/26/13 12:26 PM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

Gerbacio -

i hve always been a fan of BJ! one of my favorite fighters ever!

the fan in me wants more Penn!  but the father of two in me wishes he would retire now and enjoy his family and friends!

regardless of his desicion !!!

WAR PENN!!!! FOR LIFE!

Agreed Phone Post 3.0
5/26/13 12:31 PM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

The last two years have been bittersweet for me in MMA; the sport has evolved so fast that almost every event brings something new we've never seen in the cage. And there are a lot of new, exciting prospects out there who could one day be champions.

On the other hand, the past 2 years has seen a lot of legends of the sport hang up the gloves. BJ is undoubtedly the greatest LW we've seen so far in the sport and what he brings is unique and exciting.

He is a 'fighter' in every sense of the word. Phone Post 3.0
5/26/13 12:32 PM
SgtJustinTeplitz
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ Penn is a legend, but he should retire. Either way, I support his decision.
5/26/13 12:33 PM
pennviachoke
928 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JUST SCRAP!!! Phone Post
5/26/13 12:33 PM
discodrew
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One more fight at lightweight!! Phone Post
5/26/13 12:35 PM
Jsteven
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see one last run at lightweight, but could def understand retirement. Phone Post 3.0
5/26/13 1:01 PM
ranier wolfcastle
658 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

legend.

5/26/13 1:27 PM
BshMstr

BJ's in a tough spot.... he's only won, 1 of his last 6, and is no longer ranked in the top 10 LW or WW in the UFC.

like Dana said, he's held the belt in a couple different weight classes, and has fought the best every chance he's gotten....

fortunately, he's got money and his health....now's prolly a good time to walk away.
5/26/13 1:36 PM
Bat21
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see BJ fight again  @ 155, where he's less likely to take the kind of punishment he takes when fighting the big WWs.

Unfortunately, we all know that BJ hates cutting to 155, so I doubt we'll see him fight again in the UFC.

5/26/13 1:54 PM
NJstileNJ
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's still young I don't know why dfw feels he needs to make these decisions for people Phone Post 3.0
5/26/13 1:56 PM
Yun
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bj still one of my favorite fighters of all time. just imagine...

TRT BJ Marinovich BJ = awesome Phone Post
5/26/13 1:57 PM
Bat21
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NJstileNJ - He's still young I don't know why dfw feels he needs to make these decisions for people Phone Post 3.0

Is he making a decision, or just rendering his opinion? IMO, BJ should not fight again at WW, and I think the majority of his fans would agree.

5/26/13 3:30 PM
RUSRedDevil
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd hate for him to ruin his Zuffa relationship but Bj vs Chandler or Askren I'm Bellator would be awesome Phone Post
5/26/13 3:35 PM
ABE FROMAN
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't see any need for BJ to retire right now, he's taken breaks.

5/26/13 3:35 PM
ABE FROMAN
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't see any need for BJ to retire right now, he's taken breaks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.