UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Teixeira: If Jon Jones needs opponent, i'm here

5/27/13 6:59 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Glover Teixeira didn't start fighting until 10 years ago, after he moved to Connecticut, from his impoverished hometown in Brazil. He worked in the USA as a gardner, sending money home.

"At that time, we didn’t have anything," said Teixiera of his youth. "We didn’t even have electricity at our home, no cars, no nothing. It was a small town, a hard life.”

He went 2-2 his first four pro fights, and then, late in 2005, he started working with Chuck Liddell. He has not lost since, in 19 straight fights.

The very short list of things that make Glover Teixeira worried includes fighting in front of Mike Tyson, which he did at UFC 160 Saturday night vs. James Tehuna.

“I’m the biggest Mike Tyson fan… when I was thirteen years old I used to get up in the middle of the night, hide from my Dad, and watch him fight on Globo TV,” recalled Teixeira. “I watch his highlights before I fight anyone. That’s what motivates me.”

“When I saw him over there, I gotta tell you…I said, ‘I gotta move my head like Mike Tyson. I hope I don’t go over there, get caught, and get knocked out in front of him."

The long list of things that Teixeira is not scared of includes UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

“Whatever they do, I’ll be happy to get in the Octagon as soon as possible," said Teixeira. "if they have trouble finding an opponent for Jon Jones, I’m here.”

What do you thnk UG? Visa issues kept Teixeira out of the UFC until 2012, and he is now 4-0 in the league. Is he ready for Jon Jones?

Thanks to fiveouncesofpain for the transcription.

5/27/13 7:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Poptarts
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He needs 1 more win and it should be either Lyoto Machida, Cormier or Gustafsson. If none of those fights can be made Phil or Mousasi are the next best options.

Hopefully they can get him back in their soon, can't have people at 33-34 sitting around for a year hoping they MIGHT get a shot at the belt.
5/27/13 7:10 AM
GarlicSauce

FUCK. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About time this idea materialized and got out in the open!

Texeira is a bigger threat than Gus. I'd kill to see this one!
5/27/13 7:19 AM
Dmoney35

Jon jones destroys him as well Phone Post 3.0
5/27/13 7:23 AM
malryan

I think he causes some problems for Jones, I hope they fight before Glover gets too old and too far removed from his prime. I'd like to see the fight early next year hopefully. Phone Post 3.0
5/27/13 7:24 AM
shallowkal

Im confused, he grew up in a poor town with no electricity but would get up in the middle of the night to watch Tyson on tv?? Phone Post
5/27/13 7:27 AM
Kirik
1627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
shallowkal -  Im confused, he grew up in a poor town with no electricity but would get up in the middle of the night to watch Tyson on tv?? Phone Post

Sneak out of the house I assume?

5/27/13 7:29 AM
CHiLLEN
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dmoney35 - Jon jones destroys him as well Phone Post 3.0
Sadly, I agree. Phone Post 3.0
5/27/13 7:32 AM
shallowkal

Kirik -
shallowkal -  Im confused, he grew up in a poor town with no electricity but would get up in the middle of the night to watch Tyson on tv?? Phone Post

Sneak out of the village by the sound of it Phone Post
5/27/13 7:40 AM
Sudo21
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shallowkal - 
Kirik -

Sneak out of the village by the sound of it Phone Post

LOL
5/27/13 8:22 AM
WoodenPupa
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The local river doubled as a PPV stream from what I understand.
5/27/13 8:32 AM
Zapruder
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hahaha like Jon Jones would fight him as a replacement
5/27/13 8:33 AM
Jone2tone
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poptarts - He needs 1 more win and it should be either Lyoto Machida, Cormier or Gustafsson. If none of those fights can be made Phil or Mousasi are the next best options.

Hopefully they can get him back in their soon, can't have people at 33-34 sitting around for a year hoping they MIGHT get a shot at the belt.
This. I'd really like to see Him in a numer one contenders match against DC while Jones goes on to fight Gus right now. Phone Post 3.0
5/27/13 8:37 AM
meekie01

Jones doesnt want none of tex... hes not old and past it or a middleweight Phone Post
5/27/13 8:47 AM
Kostakio
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be an entertaining fight but I think only Guftsasson can beat Jones. Phone Post 3.0
5/27/13 8:54 AM
MMALOGIC

Glover vs Cormier... winner gets next shot after machida/gustaffson.
5/27/13 8:55 AM
5 Round Main Event

It's time.
5/27/13 9:33 AM
DanCrase
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As much as he was impressive vs Kingsbu, Maldonado and Te Huna; and he clearly beat Rampage, despite gassing pretty badly...none of them are title contenders, really. I'd want to see him against Gustaffson, Cormier or Machida first too
5/27/13 10:33 AM
LILBROCK

It's funny when jones haters have nothing else to bring up other than "he fights middleweights," considering Anderson has defended against 3 current welterweights and GSP has defended 3 times against lightweights. Jones has defended twice against people who have competed at mw. And he's clearly never ducked anyone.
5/27/13 11:58 AM
kinson

Make this fight happen. Phone Post
5/27/13 12:08 PM
SQUEEZIE

KingofBJJ - 

Why do you care?

why do you care that he care? and glover beat rampage...so? bader beat rampage too before that.glover should fight a top 5-7 guy.then title shot.
5/27/13 12:16 PM
SQUEEZIE

crozbomb - 
Dead Again - 
meekie01 -  Jones doesnt want none of tex... hes not old and past it or a middleweight Phone Post

Who did you rank ahead of Machida, Rua, Rashad, Rampage when Jones fought them?

You seem to think that Jones is ducking someone, who did he duck at any point in his career?

I'd like to see your list.

sonnen you absolute idiot

he ducked the guy he just beat the shit out of?

think about that for a minute.
5/27/13 12:38 PM
da Vinci 81
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's with people wanting him to fight Cormier? Hasn't he already said he's sticking around at HW for another fight? What, you want to wait till 2014 when he (if ever) finally attempts to make 205? Phone Post 3.0
5/27/13 1:12 PM
Attila
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aside from Silva (and perhaps Cormier), this is the most compelling fight for Bones. Gustaffson would probably benefit from some more experience and training anyway before getting his shot.
5/27/13 1:18 PM
thetruetitan

would be interesting. jones would probably just wrestle him and tire him out though

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.