UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Meniscus Surgery

5/28/13 8:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fabes
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GroundSkillz.com, Asst. Regional Mgr.

I've had my knee scoped and they took out 1/3 of my meniscus.

I re-tore it recently and they want to take out more.

Anyone on here had surgery where they put anything in to replace damaged/removed cartilage?

It's not excruciating pain by any means and I can do most everything, but it's limiting me in rolling, etc.

Thoughts?

5/28/13 11:33 AM
Ansari
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't have an answer for you but I have to go for MRIs on my knees for what my doctor suspects is meniscus damage, so I'm in for the discussion...

5/28/13 8:46 PM
Dirtyzip
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got torn cartilage in my meniscus. Getting surgery in August. Phone Post 3.0
5/29/13 8:46 AM
shortyjj

opt for rehab, first.

Once your meniscus is gone, its gone. It is not like an ACL that can be easily replaced with a grafted ligament. Little to no meniscus will result in a lot of knee pain and arthritis later in life as the femur and tibia rub against each other.

FWIW, I go into knee surgery on Monday for the "unhappy triad" of torn MCL, ACL, and meniscus. The only thing the surgeon is allowed to touch (per my instructions) is the ACL, as with proper rehab the meniscus and MCL can heal themselves.

Good luck!
5/29/13 9:00 AM
dojo stormer

if the meniscus is torn, then you can get it stitched back up but the recovery is longer and the results vary. more likely then not it will tear again.

rehab won't really help the meniscus as there is very little blood flow to it.

i tore my mcl and meniscus and after rehab for 2 months, the mcl was fine but i required surgery on the meniscus.

the recovery from surgery can vary, i know some people who have gone back to compete at the elite lever 3 weeks after surgery, it took me about 1 month to get back onto the mat to roll light and it's been probably 10 months now and i'm rolling back at 100%. knee still isnt' 100% as it still gets tight at full flexion. i've finally got my butt to touch my heel when i sit on my knees.

it's frustrating but i know what you mean when you say it's limiting your rolling. i could do everyday stuff without any issues. but my training sucked and the surgeon said it wasn't going to get any better without the torn piece getting trimmed. at the same time i did my knee, 3 other guys got the same surgery within 1 month of me.

good luck
5/29/13 9:45 AM
Fabes
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/29/13 9:47 AM
GroundSkillz.com, Asst. Regional Mgr.

good info.

thanks.

There is no rehab to be done. I do everything you're supposed to do (strengthening, stretching, deep tissue massage, heat, ice, etc). None of that is going to fix my meniscus unfortunately.

5/29/13 9:15 PM
autotech
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My right one is torn. The ortho I talked to offered surgery and said that I would be back at work in 2 days and ready to exercise in 6-8 weeks. I opted to wait. Wishing I had done it now.
6/2/13 2:57 PM
TheMessiah

I had surgery on my lateral meniscus bak in October.. Knee still locks up and gives me a lot of problems when training and rolling.

I was out of work 4 days and out of training for 2 months. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.