UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Advice on corporate health/wellness program

5/28/13 1:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SPROUT
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(FRAT)

Hello UG!

I'm taking over (a very small scale and ineffective) corporate program to promote health and well being where I work. We have about 450-600 employees depending on the season.

Currently, we've set up discounts with a couple of local gyms (10-15% off membership) and created a small recognition program based off walking/running, weight lifting, & healthy eating. These are just self recorded 'honor system' type recognition.

I have a small group of leaders together that want to work with me to increase the program's effectiveness and scope, and thought my UG brethren may have tips on how to promote health in a corporate environment.

Historically, my company's HR team has been pretty restrictive on physical activities on company property/time due to liability. We also have a heavily enforced 'No Solicitation' policy that prevents vendors/services from coming on site for presentations.

What I'd like to see us do is:
*More discounts/partnerships with local gyms
*Possible classes dedicated to just our employees (if we can get enough enrollment).
*More partnership with local restaurants (we have some health focused kitchens in the area).
*Partnership with local University's Nutrition/Dietics dept.
*Group Walks / Runs at the local park
*Company wide potlucks focusing on healthy choice foods.
*Celebrating individual's and the company's successes in health in our monthly corporate meetings (seen by all employees).

Do any of your wonderful fitness gurus have advice on how to implement these efforts, or other efforts I've overlooked?

What steps can I start taking to motivate a large group of generally unhealthy individuals to find their own versions of finding better health?

Thanks for any and all suggestions :-)

SPROUT
5/28/13 2:51 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could have a weight loss competition.
5/28/13 3:15 PM
paw
1354 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

re: Group Walks/Runs

Start a company team for various runs/walks for charity (Walk for the Cure, etc....)

5/28/13 3:27 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey SPROUT,

Are you looking at actually checking the current health / wellness status of folks who participate? I would gather some basic info about folks and their current status as well as health fitness goals etc. 

If they work in a sit-down / office setting, you could have daily stretch and move moments. Select some pre-set time intervals (30-45-60 minutes etc) to have folks get up and do stretches of basic movement stuff right there in the office. Here is an example of some stuff folks can do from my BLOG.

You may want to look at bringing in an outside person or group to run classes etc, I would also recommend weekly or bi-weekly or even monthly information seminars on things like nutrition, diabetes, ergonomics, flexibility,  etc. You might find a way to incentivize these workshops as well. Give out a prize or something for attendance.

These are just a fewideas off the top of my head.

TAKU

5/30/13 5:48 AM
MattyJ
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I work for a big company and we have various well being events, which usually consist of local gyms coming in handing out day passes and signing people up, they also have things like herbalife and health shops come in with samples but again they are just trying to sell stuff, there's also free fruit available everyday, they also arrange charity biking events and swimming galas etc.

They do have some fun things like a exercise bike which makes smoothies so you chuck some fruit in and then pedal to blend it up, other than that its mostly focused on mental wellbeing Phone Post 3.0
5/30/13 6:18 AM
Leigh
737 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where I used to work, the company subsidised your gym membership as a benefit of working there. We only had to pay 50%. It had a lot of takers and because people are already paying monthly, they use it more regularly than if they had to pay drop ins.
5/30/13 9:31 AM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A bootcamp type workout after work at a nearby park could be an idea. I did a couple for local schools for teachers and always had a good turnout. Did it 4 days a week. One school was Mon and Wed other was Tues and Thurs. I live in SoCal so weather is nice all year. Phone Post 3.0
6/3/13 3:51 PM
cruedi
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.wellnesscoachesusa.com/

You can have someone come to your office and work people both in a group or collectively to help them reach individual goals.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.