UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> NY pol sex scandal keeping MMA out of NY State?

5/28/13 2:33 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The road to regulation of Mixed Martial Arts in New York state has proven to be a long one, and despite extraordinary efforts by fans and the UFC, it may be a little longer still.

Now there are reports that the failure of Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver to pass the MMA bill despite widespread support for the bill is due to his mishandling of the sexual harassment scandal around fellow Dem Vito Lopez (Brooklyn).

Kenneth Lovett from the NY Daily News has the story.

The drive to legalize Mixed Martial Arts in New York is likely to become a new casualty of the Vito Lopez sexual harassment scandal.

Women’s groups that have long opposed the sport, calling it sexist and barbaric, are upset at Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver for his mishandling of sexual harassment complaints against Lopez.

A source close to Silver said passing a mixed martial arts law now might further inflame the women’s groups — as well as exacerbate tensions between Silver and several assemblywomen that have developed since the scandal.

“I don’t think this is the year,” the source said. “I think it’s unlikely.”

Lopez (D-Brooklyn) resigned from the Assembly last week after two investigations accused him of inappropriate conduct toward eight female staffers.

The investigations also faulted Silver (D-Manhattan), finding that he signed off on a secret $103,000 settlement to two of the women rather than refer their harassment complaints to an ethics committee, as required by Assembly rules.

New York and Connecticut remain the only two states that ban MMA. The state Senate has repeatedly voted to legalize the sport, only to see the legislation die in the Democratic-controlled Assembly.

During a closed-door discussion last year, Silver cut off debate and called it a draw even though the bulk of those who spoke supported the bill, sources said. The bill never reached the floor for a vote.

But promoters of the controversial sport seemed to be making headway this year in getting New York to lift its ban, especially after Gov. Cuomo said in March that “It’s something we’re looking at as a possible source of revenue.”

Silver is expected to discuss the matter with his Democratic members next week. “The question is does he do what he did last year or does he play it straight?” said one MMA supporter.

One factor may be that opponents feel more strongly about the issue than supporters, sources said. Some of those opponents are close to Silver, such as Assemblywoman Deborah Glick of Manhattan.

Read entire article...

5/28/13 2:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kneeblock
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kind of a reach but not unbelievable. And women's groups never knew or cared about the UFC until the culinary Union brought a lot of the greater excesses to their attention. Even now they're largely apathetic. Phone Post
5/28/13 3:03 PM
Mihow
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ -

What is the UFC's obsession with MMA in NYC?  They have events in various states and countries.  Why does this continue to make news?

MSG Phone Post 3.0
5/28/13 3:06 PM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - 

What is the UFC's obsession with MMA in NYC?  They have events in various states and countries.  Why does this continue to make news?

New York is a huge media market.
5/28/13 3:07 PM
MMALOGIC

^ and having a venue like MSG to host an event every year would be great.
5/28/13 3:10 PM
Michael Chase

I'm trying to figure out how it is that MMA is sexist... Phone Post
5/28/13 4:05 PM
GodSaveTheReem
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Michael Chase -  I'm trying to figure out how it is that MMA is sexist... Phone Post

I agree...what women's sport, outside of tennis and soccer, (only every 4 years during the Olympics) has anywhere near the level of mainstream notability of MMA?
The UFC is putting women as main and co-main events of cards that are entirely male, if that isn't empowering to women I don't know what is.
It is even arguable that in tennis and soccer the men's championship is held in higher esteem than the women's, but in MMA the women's champ is considered an equal. Not to mention the archaic rules that force women to still wear skirts in tennis...

I know that my entire argument is based on recent developments in the sport, but even though they are new they are far more than any other sport has done.

MMA may be the least sexist sport out there...
5/28/13 4:24 PM
ScottCL

I still cant get over how he can just arbitrarily call the vote a draw and drown the bill. How can he have that much power? I take it nobody stood up to him or noticed when that happened last year. Phone Post
5/28/13 7:39 PM
HeidiFang
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had asked Dana about this at the UFC 160 pre-fight scrum. He said if Silver was out, the MMA bill would be in tomorrow. http://youtu.be/FEA7LL5A508?t=17m

5/28/13 7:44 PM
HexRei

KingofBJJ - 

There are three states (of the fifty) that together generate a disproportionate amount of America's total GDP, about one third. The UFC already has events in California and Texas... think about it.
5/28/13 8:34 PM
TheVileOne
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA is now regulated in 48 US states. That wasn't the case 5 years ago. NY is inevitable at some point.
5/28/13 8:37 PM
3 Sided Square
532 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Michael Chase - I'm trying to figure out how it is that MMA is sexist... Phone Post
Rape choke. Phone Post
5/28/13 8:40 PM
HexRei

KingofBJJ - 
HexRei - 
KingofBJJ - 

There are three states (of the fifty) that together generate a disproportionate amount of America's total GDP, about one third. The UFC already has events in California and Texas... think about it.

Okay GDP doesn't equate to money in your pocket, that is only a tool Economists use to judge a nation's overall ability to be productive.

So do you want to try again?

It signifies a lot of money changing hands due to exchange of goods and services, which is great for businesses, especially entertainment businesses. There's a reason Broadway is in NYC and not the middle of Wyoming.
5/28/13 8:40 PM
Michael Chase

GodSaveTheReem -
Michael Chase -  I'm trying to figure out how it is that MMA is sexist... Phone Post

I agree...what women's sport, outside of tennis and soccer, (only every 4 years during the Olympics) has anywhere near the level of mainstream notability of MMA?
The UFC is putting women as main and co-main events of cards that are entirely male, if that isn't empowering to women I don't know what is.
It is even arguable that in tennis and soccer the men's championship is held in higher esteem than the women's, but in MMA the women's champ is considered an equal. Not to mention the archaic rules that force women to still wear skirts in tennis...

I know that my entire argument is based on recent developments in the sport, but even though they are new they are far more than any other sport has done.

MMA may be the least sexist sport out there...
No, your argument makes total sense.

These other sports are ancient in comparison, but MMA is being more progressive than anything else. Phone Post
5/28/13 9:28 PM
Capslock17ny
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - 
KingofBJJ - 
HexRei - 
KingofBJJ - 

Okay GDP doesn't equate to money in your pocket, that is only a tool Economists use to judge a nation's overall ability to be productive.

So do you want to try again?

It signifies a lot of money changing hands due to exchange of goods and services, which is great for businesses, especially entertainment businesses. There's a reason Broadway is in NYC and not the middle of Wyoming.

In addition, Madison Square Garden is the single most storied indoor sports venue in all of America. You pick any indoor American sport, and at least one of their top 10 events were in MSG. For combat sports in particular, MSG and the larger Vegas arenas are where you go to have those once-in-a-decade events (Jones-Silva, etc.)

For someone who seems to be an MMA fan, you seem to miss the idea that Jones-Silva in MSG would be the biggest fight in the history of the entire sport. They COULD have it in Vegas, but if MMA was legal in New York today, that fight would be booked by the end of the week.

I live in New York. New York is a flailing economy, with insane rises in cost-of-living and constant issues in all aspects, from Wall Street, to natural disasters, just about everything is going south here. However, Madison Square Garden is still the mecca of combat sports locations.

There's too much history there, and a good NYC card could do more for the sport of MMA than Forrest/Bonnar did. The UFC knows this, so they're pushing for it. I personally think there are plenty of great cities and venues out there, but they're not Fenway Park, or Yankee Stadium, or Lambeau Field. Madison Square Garden is legendary, and that matters more than you think.
5/29/13 8:10 AM
Kneeblock
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live in NY too and absolutely nothing is going south here. Let's not get crazy.

Jones-Silva would not sell out the Garden unless it was the first show at the Garden. Based on the Jersey shows, I'm convinced of it. And also, let's not pretend MSG isn't a fading relic of sports importance. It's crumbling in places and looks pretty shabby compared to other venues.

Personally I'd prefer an outdoor UFC at Yankee Stadium or Citifield any day.

5/29/13 8:28 AM
Bobby Lupo
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - 

While those other places are cute and all; they're not NY. The media isn't headquartered in those other places, they don't have MSG and Yankee stadium. If you make it in NY, you're legit. Otherwise, big fish in a small pond

5/29/13 9:21 AM
siouxNYC
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/29/13 10:05 AM
Kneeblock - 

I live in NY too and absolutely nothing is going south here. Let's not get crazy.

Jones-Silva would not sell out the Garden unless it was the first show at the Garden. Based on the Jersey shows, I'm convinced of it. And also, let's not pretend MSG isn't a fading relic of sports importance. It's crumbling in places and looks pretty shabby compared to other venues.

Personally I'd prefer an outdoor UFC at Yankee Stadium or Citifield any day.

I disagree. You can't base attendance and buzz on how the NJ shows do, even the ones in Newark. The first UFC at MSG would be huge, and if it had a monumental fight like Jones/Silva, it would be massive. The mainstream media push alone would be out of this world.

Think about it: a crappy amateur card featuring nobodies at Hammerstein Ballroom in Midtown attracted 1,500 spectators. How much love do you think a big UFC would get?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.