UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Please help--tired of feeling out of shape and old

5/29/13 12:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Soul Gravy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 30, 158lbs, 5'8". No idea of body fat percentage, but certainly soft around the middle. I lift sporadically and I train BJJ roughly three times a week. Diet is as bad as can be imagined. When I'm rolling I feel sluggish, weak. I lack energy most of the time, whether lifting or during jiu jitsu. Cardio is poor. Muscular endurance is poor. I feel like my physical limitations are holding me back from performing better at jiu jitsu and at other activities like basketball. Any suggestions on drills or a workout or diet to get myself into shape? I'm too young to be struggling as much as I am physically, and it's really starting to be discouraging. Any help at all would be great. Thanks.
5/29/13 12:22 PM
shootfighterbull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First off, get your diet in check. Lots of lean protein and complex carbs like sweet potatoes and black beans.

Run sprints or some other HIIT. They'll suck BADLY at first and you will feel like death at the end of the workout, but your cardiovascular health will improve drastically. Phone Post 3.0
5/29/13 12:42 PM
5pointer

im 35, look and feel amazing :)

i have 2 kids as well and if i didnt love the "lifestyle" i would be a fat mess.

i lift heavy and hard 3 x a week. i eat whatever i want, i just dont stuff my face. first thing is make sure you are sleeping well. get in a routine, none of this sporadically stuff.

get some caffeine at first if u feel like crap.. get your body accustomed to the routine and ween off the caffeine if u wish.. 2 weeks in u feel much better.

30 is a turning point man, get it in gear now.
5/29/13 2:03 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You might want to get some blood work done, if you feel that bad.
5/29/13 2:05 PM
knockabout

I.m 38 and have found proper rest and recovery to be just as important as my actual workouts.

it sounds like you do train regularly and that's a great start, it shows you have some degree of self-discipline. don't feel like you need to make sweeping changes all at once, either. set realistic and attainable goals like going to bed earlier or setting a fixed schedule for work/rest days. make both short term and long term goals as well. also, you can visit your doctor and have blood work done. aside from showing you where you can make changes in your diet you might find some pathological issues that you can most likely treat (hypothyroid, low test., etc)

Here is emmitt smith's hall of fame acceptance speech. talks quite a bit about setting goals and consistency. maybe you can find a little inspiration from reading it. good luck. and fuck chronological age. get up, brush the dirt off your shoulder, and keep moving forward with the things you want to do.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/16456/emmitt-smith-hall-of-fame-speech
5/29/13 4:56 PM
Leigh
714 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diet and recovery. Rest lots, eat clean and drink a decent amount of water. You'll feel better within a week. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.