UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> BJ Penn: "I was never the same..."

5/29/13 9:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Malvert the Janitor
930 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://gulfnews.com/sport/other-sports/baby-jay-penn-jiu-jitsu-can-steal-a-lot-of-talent-from-mma-1.1169985

Speaking to Gulf News in an exclusive interview, Penn, who is here as a special guest of the Abu Dhabi World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Championship, described the huge impact the event is having on the sport, and more...

5/29/13 9:20 PM
Malvert the Janitor
930 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gulf News: When do we see you back in action? Or have you called it a day?

B.J. Penn: I might fight again, I am not actively seeking to fight again but I think I may. I fought in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) for 13 years; the UFC does not want to see me get hurt I think… so maybe I fight again or maybe not.

GN: You mentioned getting hurt. How does your family react when they sometimes have to see bloodied faces?

BJ: I would be the first to say that I was never the same fighter after I had kids, after I had my two daughters, I would say that. It’s true. But regarding the injuries and blood…it took my mother a long time to be able to bear and watch it. But If I get injured I don’t like to go home, because I don’t want to my kids to see me hurt because they are going to get scared. In fact, it is all these things that makes me wonder if I have to step away.

GN: Being on the circuit for such a long time, how do you think the fighters view the Abu Dhabi World BJJ Championship now?

BJ: I never thought that in a million years that the UAE is going to be a very big place in Jiu Jitsu. But then again, I was just a kid from a small town in Hawaii and the UAE is so far. You know what...it is a dream; it is a dream for the people to come here. Whenever the trials happen, everybody runs to go to the trials…this is an amazing event.

GN: This is the fifth edition of the championship here. How much of an impact has it had on the world of martial arts?

BJ: Maybe if this professional event was here 13 years ago, I wouldn’t have fought Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) but I would have done this to pay the bills. This is very big, this is going to have a lot of ramifications in the future. It is going to steal a lot of MMA talent because they are going to say, ‘I don’t have to go get punched in my face. I can do what I love and still pay my bills.’

GN: You have seen the UAE nationals in action and you have been organizing some “Masterclass” sessions here. What does the future hold for Emirati fighters?

BJ: There is a lot of talent and the sport is very popular here. I think in the next two to five years, there is going to be at least one or two UAE fighters who are going to be in the top level with everybody else. I believe this for sure.

GN: How appealing can the BJJ be to kids in comparison to other sport like football or tennis. Is it difficult to woo them to the sport?

BJ: Everybody wants to be tough. People are going to take to Jiu Jitsu. See in any other sport when the athletes get mad, they start to fight. At that point, they forget the sport they are playing and start the other sport (fighting)! But it’s a good question if the sport is as appealing. If you see people playing soccer and some Jiu Jitsu, which way will you go? I think it’s better left to each individual as to what he is good at.
5/29/13 9:21 PM
Malvert the Janitor

Fatherhood changes a man, no???

5/29/13 9:23 PM
brahmabull81
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a feeling that when he left camp during one of his recent fights to go recharge his "mana" in Hawaii it wasnt just to smoke weed and/or be lazy, it was to see his baby and family. The guy is a father now and cant be away from his kids, and thinks more about how his losses would/will affect them than his own legacy.

He probably shouldnt fight again because his mentality is not where it was when he was a top fighter. Sucks, but good for him for finding peace in his life and a better reason to live than fighting.
5/29/13 9:24 PM
Malvert the Janitor

brahmabull81 - I had a feeling that when he left camp during one of his recent fights to go recharge his "mana" in Hawaii it wasnt just to smoke weed and/or be lazy, it was to see his baby and family. The guy is a father now and cant be away from his kids, and thinks more about how his losses would/will affect them than his own legacy.

He probably shouldnt fight again because his mentality is not where it was when he was a top fighter. Sucks, but good for him for finding peace in his life and a better reason to live than fighting.
Good man! Phone Post 3.0
5/29/13 9:25 PM
brahmabull81
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/29/13 9:25 PM
dbl.. geeze my comp messed that up haha
5/29/13 9:27 PM
MrHughes1991
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I remember him saying Hughes told him he was never the same after having kids. Looks like Matt was right and it affected BJ too Phone Post 3.0
5/29/13 9:28 PM
BLACK ROOSTER
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

brahmabull81 - I had a feeling that when he left camp during one of his recent fights to go recharge his "mana" in Hawaii it wasnt just to smoke weed and/or be lazy, it was to see his baby and family. The guy is a father now and cant be away from his kids, and thinks more about how his losses would/will affect them than his own legacy.

well said Phone Post
5/29/13 9:33 PM
(Mike Oxslong)
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voted up !!! Phone Post 3.0
5/29/13 9:34 PM
Malvert the Janitor

(Mike Oxslong) - Voted up !!! Phone Post 3.0
Fuckin' A, bro! Phone Post 3.0
5/29/13 10:05 PM
pennviachoke
1167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(Mike Oxslong) - Voted up !!! Phone Post 3.0
I should be allowed to vtfu Malvert at least 10x a day Phone Post
5/29/13 10:07 PM
Bill O'Really
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voted Up!

Thanks!

5/29/13 10:16 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
5/29/13 10:19 PM
Malvert the Janitor

Love the love! Phone Post 3.0
5/30/13 12:24 AM
Doem
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

personally i think he is the most talented guy to fight at 155,edger and bendo included.
5/30/13 12:41 AM
athsportsnutrition
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Professional Grade Nutrition

ttt

5/30/13 1:29 AM
flyingtoehold
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
5/30/13 1:40 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's why he has to move away to trane. The reality is whenever you see your kids it softens your heart. Phone Post 3.0
5/30/13 2:07 AM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It showed alot of character, after the Diaz fight, how he cared more about how his face would hurt his family than the physical pain. You have to respect that Phone Post 3.0
5/30/13 2:59 AM
JCON
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish he would have stayed at lightweight Phone Post 3.0
5/30/13 3:09 AM
Anderson P. Sonnen
689 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn reading this really changed my outlook on him staying to fight as much as I hoped.

Thanks malvert VTFU :) Phone Post
5/30/13 4:46 AM
NicolasExitBJJ
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the guy has nothing left to prove anyway
5/30/13 8:45 AM
EKPOGI
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Malvert the Janitor - 

Fatherhood changes a man, no???

for the better imo
5/30/13 12:58 PM
Malvert the Janitor

jushintiger - BJ vs Marcelo at ADCC! Sheik, make it happen.

Ive always wanted to see BJ in sport BJJ just to see how he fairs against people like Marcelo, or Pablo.
Most people don't know Royler Gracie dropped out of the Mundials the year BJ won.... Could've been epic! Phone Post 3.0
5/30/13 2:28 PM
Dugs95
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doem - personally i think he is the most talented guy to fight at 155,edger and bendo included.
I agree Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.