UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Volkmann: Minimum UFC pay should be 15K

6/1/13 12:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whoabro - 
soreshins - As much as I genuinely dislike volkmann, I don't think making the basic pay $15k would kill the UFC. It would lose the ufc maybe 20k per fight x maybe 6 fights on average per card. Thats only 120k per card which wouldn't be the end of the ufc. I quite like this suggestion. Phone Post 3.0
Also, there are more like 12-14 fights on a card. So make that $5 million Phone Post 3.0

and 100 mil a year from fox,plus sponsor $$$ and another 350 mil from ppv.that 5 mill would crush them

6/1/13 12:38 AM
SmackyBear
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dubate - 
KingofBJJ -
Brian J DSouza - 

50% of the PPV cost goes to the provider. So if a PPV costs $50, UFC only gets "about" $25.

With no competition, UFC can pay its fighters whatever it wants, etc. Think about it-- that's business.

Where do you get this 50% from?  My research shows that promoters get the lions share, if not all of the revenue.

Your research is wrong. The satellite & cable companies don't just give those channels away for free, they charge roughly 50% for using their system. Phone Post

Just to provide a source:

In Demand deals are typically 50/40/10 splits. 50% goes directly to the cable companies, who actually own In Demand. 10% goes to In Demand and 40% goes to the event producer.

http://mmapayout.com/2008/07/inside-ppv-breaking-down-the-numbers/
6/1/13 12:48 AM
SmackyBear
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cdmontgo - 
Lobo8 - 15k minimum and you have to sign a guy for 2 years. Volkman is insane. Ufc isnt some charity show if u cant make the cut then get a regular job. Those that want better pay just need to prove themselves by continuing to win.

They can still cut guys.

Two years is simply stating the UFC has to offer enough fights to fulfill the contract (four fights) within two years (two fights per year) or the contract expires.

This makes it so, the UFC can't just sit on a guy that could be making money by fighting for another organization.

Not the way Volkmann described it.

"And it gives them two years. Because the first two fights in the UFC, man, you got to deal with the stress and the fear of being cut right away. Most of the fighters, it seems, get cut after two fights. That's way too much stress for when you're beginning."

He's saying the fighters wouldn't be able to be cut on that contract, so they'd be less stressed.

It would certainly be a good thing for those fighters, but could it have the unintended consequence of the UFC giving fewer fighters a shot since there'd be less turnover?
6/1/13 12:50 AM
soreshins
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whoabro -
soreshins - As much as I genuinely dislike volkmann, I don't think making the basic pay $15k would kill the UFC. It would lose the ufc maybe 20k per fight x maybe 6 fights on average per card. Thats only 120k per card which wouldn't be the end of the ufc. I quite like this suggestion. Phone Post 3.0
Also, there are more like 12-14 fights on a card. So make that $5 million Phone Post 3.0
I used 6 fights based on the number of fighters at the very low end of the pay scale. Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 1:23 AM
dubate
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SmackyBear -
cdmontgo - 
Lobo8 - 15k minimum and you have to sign a guy for 2 years. Volkman is insane. Ufc isnt some charity show if u cant make the cut then get a regular job. Those that want better pay just need to prove themselves by continuing to win.

They can still cut guys.

Two years is simply stating the UFC has to offer enough fights to fulfill the contract (four fights) within two years (two fights per year) or the contract expires.

This makes it so, the UFC can't just sit on a guy that could be making money by fighting for another organization.

Not the way Volkmann described it.

"And it gives them two years. Because the first two fights in the UFC, man, you got to deal with the stress and the fear of being cut right away. Most of the fighters, it seems, get cut after two fights. That's way too much stress for when you're beginning."

He's saying the fighters wouldn't be able to be cut on that contract, so they'd be less stressed.

It would certainly be a good thing for those fighters, but could it have the unintended consequence of the UFC giving fewer fighters a shot since there'd be less turnover?
So there could potentially be a handful of UFC fighters with 0-3 records going in to their last fight? Sounds like a solid plan Jacob. Phone Post
6/1/13 2:04 AM
newjack900
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only going to respond to his belief that the min salary should be $15k.. If somehow the fighters banded together and were able to get this rule put into place in the UFC the UFC could very well react in the same way as some places are about to respond to 'Obama'-care. I teach at a school that has 5 full-time 'permanent' subs who show up every day and work the same hours as me.. yet they get paid shit & get no benefits. Under the new rules they must be given health care benefits this upcoming school year. So how does our school respond? By now only allowing them to work 4 days a week, thus avoiding the necessary min amount of hours for health care to be mandated. So not only do they not receive the benefits, they are now losing a day of work every week. What I'm saying is the UFC could easily just cut their roster 20% and/or take 2-3 fights off at the bottom of every card if that was the min salary. Sucks but that's how business-men think - about the bottom line.
6/1/13 2:09 AM
whoabro
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

soreshins -
whoabro -
I used 6 fights based on the number of fighters at the very low end of the pay scale. Phone Post 3.0
Ah, fair enough. My bad Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 8:57 AM
Jack Brown
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
6/1/13 9:39 AM
ironbear
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look! The only thing that always puzzles me is the comment by most fighters that there is so much pressure from getting cut. The very first thing that went through my mind was not sticking around it was winning. It wasn't whether Battlecade would keep me or not, that never crossed my mind. The UFC is not the welfare system. Its either produce or go home, very simple! Its not like being a congressman or a senator where youre in 2 years and we have to pay 6 figures the rest of your life and free health care. I used to see fighters train for years but never get an education or a career. I'm like this is the ratio in life 80 percent of the fighters will make 20 percent of the money and 20 percent will make 80 percent of the money but in the case of the UFC its probably like 10 percent make 90 percent.lol
6/1/13 9:39 AM
ironbear
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's prove you belong there first.
6/1/13 4:21 PM
dubate
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ -
whoabro - 

I believe the OP is referring to the fighters making less than $15k per fight?  Regardless we all know that at least six fighters are making less than $20k per fight So lets go back to ufc 148

Mike Easton: $20,000 ($10,000 to show, $10,000 to win)
Ivan Menjivar: $13,000
Easton def. Menjivar via unanimous decision

Chad Mendes: $36,000 ($18,000 to show, $18,000 to win)
Cody McKenzie: $10,000
Mendes def. McKenzie via technical knockout

Habib Nurmagomedov: $20,000 ($10,000 to show, $10,000 to win)
Gleison Tibau: $31,000
Nurmagomedov def. Tibau via unanimous decision

Constantinos Philippou: $32,000 ($16,000 to show, $16,000 to win)
Riki Fukuda: $28,000
Philippou def. Fukuda via unanimous decision

Melvin Guillard: $72,000 ($36,000 to show, $36,000 to win)
Fabricio Camoes: $8,000
Guillard def. Camoes via unanimous decision

Rafaello Oliveira: $20,000 ($10,000 to show, $10,000 to win)
Yoislandy Izquierdo: $6,000
Oliveira def. Izquierdo via unanimous decision

Shane Roller: $46,000 ($23,000 to show, $23,000 to win)
John Alessio: $10,000
Roller def. Alessio via unanimous decision

As you can see, some fighters were lucky to win and get a win bonus to put them at or over the $20k threshold. The total card salary was 20% of the the largest gate in UFC history.  Had these fighters been paid a minimum of $20k instead of the meager $6k for some, the total would be a mear $56k for those who loss and $36k for those who won (remember they only made $20k or more because of the win bonus).  That totals $92k not even a drop in the bucket for Gate of  $6.5 million.  Again that doesn't include the PPV, Sponsorship, Closed Circuit TV and UFC.tv revenue Zuffa racks in.

MMA fighters are getting screwed and the fanboys here are calling them whiners.  Unbelievable.

If you are going to count that extra revenue you need to count the PPV bonuses that Silva, Sonen, Ortiz, & Griffin received. Not to mention the locker room bonuses that they give out. Those bonuses don't just go to the winners, Uncle Creepy said he got 25k in the mail after his last fight. Phone Post
6/1/13 4:57 PM
canuck34
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dubate -
KingofBJJ -
whoabro - 

I believe the OP is referring to the fighters making less than $15k per fight?  Regardless we all know that at least six fighters are making less than $20k per fight So lets go back to ufc 148

As you can see, some fighters were lucky to win and get a win bonus to put them at or over the $20k threshold. The total card salary was 20% of the the largest gate in UFC history.  Had these fighters been paid a minimum of $20k instead of the meager $6k for some, the total would be a mear $56k for those who loss and $36k for those who won (remember they only made $20k or more because of the win bonus).  That totals $92k not even a drop in the bucket for Gate of  $6.5 million.  Again that doesn't include the PPV, Sponsorship, Closed Circuit TV and UFC.tv revenue Zuffa racks in.

MMA fighters are getting screwed and the fanboys here are calling them whiners.  Unbelievable.

If you are going to count that extra revenue you need to count the PPV bonuses that Silva, Sonen, Ortiz, & Griffin received. Not to mention the locker room bonuses that they give out. Those bonuses don't just go to the winners, Uncle Creepy said he got 25k in the mail after his last fight. Phone Post
Also, uncle creepy puts asses in the seats. He is a popular fighter and people consider his involvement when buying a PPV or watching a free card. So he deserves more. Phone Post
6/1/13 5:12 PM
Vasechkin

No body forces fighters to fight for whatever UFC offer them.

If they don't like that offer, they don't have to accept it.

If Volkmann thinks fighters are underpaid, he should start his own promotion and take advantage of this monry making opportunity.

It's a very simple concept. Why do so many people have difficulties with it.
6/1/13 7:21 PM
cdmontgo
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

canuck34 - 
dubate -
KingofBJJ -
whoabro - 

Also, uncle creepy puts asses in the seats. He is a popular fighter and people consider his involvement when buying a PPV or watching a free card. So he deserves more. Phone Post

dubate, what extra revenue are you referring to?

The other post is analyzing the percentage of the gate that went to the fighters (as reported income). He specifically stated it doesn't account for PPV, sponorship, CCTV, and internet sales. He forgot to add the revenue the UFC gets from TV deals (FOX was HUGE), merchandise, UFC gyms, etc.

I think it is ridiculous to argue that his fighter payout numbers are too low when you account for the PPV bonuses and the locker room bonuses. If you add the PPV revenue to the gate revenue and account for PPV bonuses and locker room bonuses, the fighters end up getting an even lower percentage of the revenue (even when you cut the PPV revenue in half due to the cable company taking a cut).

This still doesn't account for sponorship revenue, CCTV, internet sales, TV deals, merchandise, gyms, etc.

It is crazy to think the money isn't there to pay the lower tier guys a livable wage..
6/1/13 8:02 PM
dubate

cdmontgo -
canuck34 - 
dubate -
KingofBJJ -
whoabro - 

dubate, what extra revenue are you referring to?

The other post is analyzing the percentage of the gate that went to the fighters (as reported income). He specifically stated it doesn't account for PPV, sponorship, CCTV, and internet sales. He forgot to add the revenue the UFC gets from TV deals (FOX was HUGE), merchandise, UFC gyms, etc.

I think it is ridiculous to argue that his fighter payout numbers are too low when you account for the PPV bonuses and the locker room bonuses. If you add the PPV revenue to the gate revenue and account for PPV bonuses and locker room bonuses, the fighters end up getting an even lower percentage of the revenue (even when you cut the PPV revenue in half due to the cable company taking a cut).

This still doesn't account for sponorship revenue, CCTV, internet sales, TV deals, merchandise, gyms, etc.

It is crazy to think the money isn't there to pay the lower tier guys a livable wage..
Are you saying that if you only fight 1 time a year you should make a liveable wage? If you fight 2x a year and put on a good show (doesn't have to be great) you make over 40k easy. If you want to make more, win. If you can't win or put on a good show, then maybe fighting isn't the right career for you. Volkmann made 60k in his last year with a losing record, how is that not a liveable wage? Phone Post
6/2/13 1:48 AM
SmackyBear

KingofBJJ - 
SmackyBear - 
dubate - 
KingofBJJ -
Brian J DSouza - 

50% of the PPV cost goes to the provider. So if a PPV costs $50, UFC only gets "about" $25.

With no competition, UFC can pay its fighters whatever it wants, etc. Think about it-- that's business.

Where do you get this 50% from?  My research shows that promoters get the lions share, if not all of the revenue.

Your research is wrong. The satellite & cable companies don't just give those channels away for free, they charge roughly 50% for using their system. Phone Post

Just to provide a source:

In Demand deals are typically 50/40/10 splits. 50% goes directly to the cable companies, who actually own In Demand. 10% goes to In Demand and 40% goes to the event producer.

http://mmapayout.com/2008/07/inside-ppv-breaking-down-the-numbers/

That only comes from Zuffa, and as your source says they don't know the "intrinsic" details of the contract.  Meaning your sourse is only taking Zuffa at its word.

Regardless, assuming Zuffa isn't lying <cough><cough> $25 million is still oustanding. 

My furhter research shows that Zuffa gets 100% of the profits from the On Demands on UFC.tv.  The rest of the money comes in from Sponsors and Closed Circuit TV.  So it is safe to assume that that $25 million just got jacked back up to $35 million at least.

Zuffa won't release the UFC.tv pays right? 

What is hilarious is that the other poster felt sorry for UFC supposedly having to dish out 50% of its $50 million to Cable and "only" get $25 million.

There is no reason why these fighters shouldn't make a minimum of $15k per fight.  Boxing is quick to point out how much money the fighters are making as well as what their cut is from PPV.

But Zuffa won't budge, and instead wants you to take their word for it and keep their contract(s) with cable locked safely away in a safe.

Actually, the article says that came from "an insider in the PPV industry who has negotiated many ppv distribution deals." Nothing was from Zuffa. The talk of Zuffa's improved deal came from a credit rating S&P did on Zuffa.

But just in case, here's one from a boxing guy:

At the outset, let me inform you that the gurus in the pay-per-view broadcast industry are Jay Larkin of Showtime’s SET and Mark Taffet of HBO PPV. I have been involved in dozens of pay-per-view broadcasts in a promotional and legal capacity, and this note is intended to provide general background information on the mechanics of a pay-per-view promotion. The economics of a pay-per-view event based on theoretical assumptions are likewise illustrated below.

VI. Domestic Television. As noted above, the domestic television fee is a variable based upon the number of pay-per-view homes for the particular event. Assuming a pay-per-view retail price of $39.95, and following deduction of (a) the percentage of such pay-per-view fee to the cable operator (generally 50% of gross goes to the local cable operator although such percentage differs based upon the marketability of the event and the desire of the cable company to possess the ability to sell the event to its local cable subscribers) and (b) the approximate 7.5% distribution fee remitted to the distributor (SET or HBO PPV as discussed above), resulting in approximately $18.50 from each home purchase received by the promoter and comprising the domestic televison fee.
6/2/13 1:49 AM
SmackyBear

Sorry, forgot the link:

http://www.secondsout.com/ringside/the-business-of-boxing/the-abcs-of-pay-per-view
6/2/13 2:24 AM
Lynchman
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - 
whoabro - 

6.5 million gate? What card are you talking about?
6/2/13 2:44 AM
CindyO

But just in case, here's one from a boxing guy:

At the outset, let me inform you that the gurus in the pay-per-view broadcast industry are Jay Larkin of Showtime’s SET and Mark Taffet of HBO PPV. I have been involved in dozens of pay-per-view broadcasts in a promotional and legal capacity, and this note is intended to provide general background information on the mechanics of a pay-per-view promotion. The economics of a pay-per-view event based on theoretical assumptions are likewise illustrated below.

Not sure how old this info is but Jay Larkin died in 2010.

Cindy

6/2/13 2:49 AM
dubate

Lynchman -
KingofBJJ - 
whoabro - 

6.5 million gate? What card are you talking about?
UFC 148 Silva v Sonnen II
It was a monster Phone Post
6/2/13 10:17 AM
shootfightermike
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like the guy

6/2/13 11:02 AM
whoabro

"The market shouldnt decide whats fair, *I* should" Phone Post 3.0
6/2/13 11:07 AM
Jack Brown
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shootfightermike -

i like the guy

This. The interview is about a lot more than fighter pay. Of course it's an important issue for debate. But I also appreciate that there is more to Volkmann than some of his controversial stances. Phone Post
6/2/13 11:42 AM
RalliArt

MMA fans are the worst sport fans of all. Fuck this place and fuck all of you I will have no part of this. Phone Post 3.0
6/2/13 11:57 AM
Pessimist_Pete

Every person in this thread is right and wrong to various degrees. It is what it is. You can take a horse to water, but if you teach a man to fish then he can eat. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.