UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rua details training with Freddie Roach

5/31/13 1:38 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Rua: I started training with Freddie Roach because my manager contacted him and his team. For me this is good because I learned some things that can make the difference against Rogerio Nogueira.

I was always confident in my boxing. In camp, I always train a lot of boxing. But Freddie showed me specific details that will help me improve my game.

I am going to go back to Brazil and keep practicing what I learned and hope to apply it to the fight.

He is a south paw and that already makes him harder to deal with. Nogueira is a guy that likes to setup his jab to throw his left hand. I know this and I am going to be prepared when we step inside the Octagon.

5/31/13 1:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SgtJustinTeplitz
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope Rua does well with Mr Roach!
5/31/13 1:42 PM
rnunz
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really hope we see an improved Rua at this stage of the game!  Rua 2.0? or 3.0?  or v2.5.2?

5/31/13 1:52 PM
Big Pookie
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would also like to hear "Rua training cardio with..."

5/31/13 3:43 PM
MagSlim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

be interesting to see if he fights more from the inside with this new boxing. roach was talking about a 6 inch hook.

shogun has always had those looping lunging hooks that he landed from way out at kicking range and then throw huge leg strikes. you can see him winding up a kick after that punch that ko'd chuck.

5/31/13 5:45 PM
Mattapooh
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Pookie - I would also like to hear "Rua training cardio with..."

I think this is the crucial element that's missing. I also find that Shogun just doesn't have that fucking destroyer mentality anymore, he's always flat-footed, gassed and hesitating now. It's disappointing to see.

Also, why aren't we seeing Shogun throwing knees as much anymore? It seems like he and Wand both gave up on knees after coming over from PRIDE, is this an issue with the level of wrestling in the UFC or something?
5/31/13 5:51 PM
dubate
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Pookie - I would also like to hear "Rua training cardio with..."

So much this. It doesn't matter how much improved his striking has gotten if he gasses halfway through the second round. Phone Post
5/31/13 5:52 PM
Mertvaya Ruka
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hopefully rua doesn't turn out like arlovski lol
5/31/13 5:55 PM
MasterofMartialArts
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joshua King -
MagSlim - be interesting to see if he fights more from the inside with this new boxing. roach was talking about a 6 inch hook.

shogun has always had those looping lunging hooks that he landed from way out at kicking range and then throw huge leg strikes. you can see him winding up a kick after that punch that ko'd chuck.

Yeah it's the same motions he was using against Lyoto the first time. Phone Post 3.0
If he looks anything like he did in that fight, I will be fucking amazed. Phone Post 3.0
5/31/13 7:07 PM
slamming

Big Pookie - I would also like to hear "Rua training cardio with..."

Apparently roach was working on that with him too. Phone Post 3.0
5/31/13 8:34 PM
Eisenberg
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joshua King - I want to hear him address the "hits like a girl" comment and lyotos response to that as well. Phone Post 3.0

What comment are you referring to?
5/31/13 9:33 PM
quidnunc
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe im getting the wrong impression but it seems to me that Shogun has been a part time fighter in the last years. you hear about him training in the time leading up to his fights but he's doing most of his training in his home town and we dont hear about him often training at other camps.

im sure he's taking the fight with rogerio seriously but he probably had like a week or two with freddie and you only hear about things like that when the fight is around the corner. compare to jose aldo who is in Holland now training for his fight in August in addition to what he's doing at Nova União

maybe he wants to also enjoy life which you can't hold against him. GSP is always talking about how it's necessary to put his life on hold to be champ
5/31/13 10:00 PM
dking
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
5/31/13 10:04 PM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He needs better cardio, first and foremost. Especially at this stage in his career.

5/31/13 10:05 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
I always enjoy hearing guys, who are as experienced as Shogun, branch out and try to learn new techniques and strategies to add to their arsenal.
5/31/13 10:07 PM
The Brool Story Company

Lil Nog wins by UD

5/31/13 11:46 PM
ontilt
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eisenberg - 
Joshua King - I want to hear him address the "hits like a girl" comment and lyotos response to that as well. Phone Post 3.0

What comment are you referring to?

Freddie Roach after training with Rua for a bit said when he first started working with Shogun he hit like a girl and went on to say something along the lines of now he's got some pretty damn good power.
6/1/13 2:54 AM
catgobling

Mattapooh - 
Big Pookie - I would also like to hear "Rua training cardio with..."

I think this is the crucial element that's missing. I also find that Shogun just doesn't have that fucking destroyer mentality anymore, he's always flat-footed, gassed and hesitating now. It's disappointing to see.

Also, why aren't we seeing Shogun throwing knees as much anymore? It seems like he and Wand both gave up on knees after coming over from PRIDE, is this an issue with the level of wrestling in the UFC or something?

shogun having knee surgery might have to do with being flatfooted/poor cardio/less throwing of knees right?
6/1/13 3:40 AM
UGSlapshot

I don't care how much cardio you have it can be beat out of you if you take too much damage.

Which is exactly what's been happening to Rua. Phone Post
6/1/13 3:42 AM
Rhys91
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get Shogun on trt, that guy would be deadly. Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 5:45 AM
ImStillHereChief

Every MMA fighter Roach trained has been KOed.
6/1/13 5:57 AM
Devlin
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ImStillHereChief - Every MMA fighter Roach trained has been KOed.

Doesn't he work with GSP?
6/1/13 6:07 AM
gage949
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Devlin -

He's also worked with Anderson... Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 6:08 AM
gage949
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gage949 -
Devlin -

He's also worked with Anderson... Phone Post 3.0
and BJ who's never been knocked down let alone KOed Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 8:32 AM
Eisenberg
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meh. Shogun's boxing has never been technically sound but as far as power goes he always had it. A bit of bullshit coming from Roach on this one.

Since Shogun's kicking ability has been destroyed by the knee surgeries, getting a more technical boxing game from Freddy is gonna help him a lot though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.