UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Taking a course in personal training.

5/31/13 4:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have decided to drop the job that I hate and start a career in personal training. This is the only thing that I have ever been interested in. I'm fit (relatively intelligent) and have a good sound knowledge of weights, fitness and nutrition.

I would love to hear from some personal trainers here about some pointers and what I should be expecting. Phone Post 3.0
5/31/13 7:48 PM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dial in your sales skills.
Never stop learning
Have a solid niche
I've trained a lot of people getting ready for bootcamps and academy training. My niche. But still helped people losing weight etc. Phone Post 3.0
5/31/13 9:00 PM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great input from Shanle929,

TAKU

6/1/13 2:13 PM
Shanle929

Taku -

Great input from Shanle929,

TAKU

Thank you Phone Post 3.0
6/2/13 8:59 AM
JBryan

Plenty of info here:
http://www.starting-a-personal-training-business.com/
6/3/13 12:09 AM
FJJ828
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you want to work in a gym, do bootcamps, work with athletes, do home visits for older people?

6/3/13 4:45 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In lucky that I have worked with a great personal trainer for years. I'm planning on specializing in kettlebells and body weight exercises as this is two areas I'm very knowledgable in.

My gym that I used is large and has boot camps and hardcore group "crossfit" style classes. Money is not a pressing issue so I'm hoping to build myself up over the next few years.

Any advice would be welcome. Phone Post 3.0
6/3/13 7:32 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Treat every client like they are your only client. Know what is going on in their lives (family, sports teams, hobbies) and more importantly know what their biggest need is (sometimes they really dont). If you have a guy that wants to lose weight but has a bad knee, dont just work around it. Help him lose weight while also incorporating rehab work on the knee. If you can help releive someones pain, you will be have a client (and reference) for life.
6/3/13 8:33 AM
Shanle929

LiftStrong - Treat every client like they are your only client. Know what is going on in their lives (family, sports teams, hobbies) and more importantly know what their biggest need is (sometimes they really dont). If you have a guy that wants to lose weight but has a bad knee, dont just work around it. Help him lose weight while also incorporating rehab work on the knee. If you can help releive someones pain, you will be have a client (and reference) for life.
Very good advice, just make sure you know how to rehabilitate injuries properly. Which should go without saying, but I've seen some stuff that I shouldn't. Phone Post 3.0
6/3/13 8:35 AM
Shanle929

JFC1001 - In lucky that I have worked with a great personal trainer for years. I'm planning on specializing in kettlebells and body weight exercises as this is two areas I'm very knowledgable in.

My gym that I used is large and has boot camps and hardcore group "crossfit" style classes. Money is not a pressing issue so I'm hoping to build myself up over the next few years.

Any advice would be welcome. Phone Post 3.0
Like those two ways of training but don't rule out the great benefits of heavy barbell stuff too. Everything has their place in your "tool box" Phone Post 3.0
6/4/13 5:09 AM
JFC1001

Indeed. I do love compound exercises as well. There is a great deal to learn Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 11:17 AM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Treat every client like they are your only client. Know what is going on in their lives (family, sports teams, hobbies) and more importantly know what their biggest need is (sometimes they really dont). If you have a guy that wants to lose weight but has a bad knee, dont just work around it. Help him lose weight while also incorporating rehab work on the knee. If you can help releive someones pain, you will be have a client (and reference) for life." <---this is great advice!

Also, although I agree it's important to have niche, you don't want to be the guy who only has a hammer in his tool box. I see young trainers in the gym who only use KB's or only use the TRX...Then they try and force every client into using those tools. What if they hate it? What if they just don't get it?

I see one guy making every single client (regardless of age, etc) do (or try to do) TGU's. Why? I saw another guy trying to make an extremely over-weight and de-conditioned woman do TRX push-ups...she actually fell down very hard on the ground. His reaction..."Don't worry you'll get it eventually".

Be flexible in your approach.

TAKU

6/7/13 12:19 PM
JFC1001

Excellent advice guys thank you. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.