UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> A Challenge

6/1/13 12:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RoninBT
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to issue a challenge to the HolyGround. Off the top of your head name the bible CHAPTER that speaks to your soul. Don’t think about it just name one. Tell us what it is and why it’s special to you. BUT, this is not the challenge. The challenge is to the rest of us to go and read the chapter for ourselves and comment if inspired to do so. This is not an opportunity to pick each other apart but is intended to be a positive exercise. I’ll start it off:

Psalms 19 (no not 119) – the psalmist uses a literary technique common in the bible in which a single subject is discussed in multiple statements / verses in different ways to flush out the fullness of their thoughts. In verses 7-11 the law, the testimony, the precepts, the commandment and the judgments of our Creator are held up to be perfect, soul restoring, right, heart rejoicing, pure, enlightening, true and righteous. But the one that gets me is “making wise the simple”. Why, because I am “the simple”. The chapter ends with a statement that I wish I could have pinned “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer.”. I found this chapter a couple years ago, after a rough patch in my life. I have reread it many many times and to this day it brings tears to my eyes.
6/1/13 10:51 AM
MoustacheRider69
343 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This one is a hard one for me. I definitely like the book of revelation. I don't read into it like someone who looks at the earthly part of it like 'eschatomaniacs' do. I'll just post the verses...

Revelation 19:11

Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war.

Revelation 21:1-8

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death."

Idk man. I just like revelation. The gospel of John is another fave. Sorry that i don't have a specific chapter. Phone Post
6/1/13 10:14 PM
RoninBT
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MoustacheRider69 -  This one is a hard one for me. I definitely like the book of revelation. I don't read into it like someone who looks at the earthly part of it like 'eschatomaniacs' do. I'll just post the verses...

Revelation 19:11

Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war.

Revelation 21:1-8

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death."

Idk man. I just like revelation. The gospel of John is another fave. Sorry that i don't have a specific chapter. Phone Post

Wow, you picked a hard one. The book of Revelation has always been difficult for me. The only thing I am sure about, concerning this book, is that nobody has a bead on it. I guess some prophesy is only understood in retrospect. I went back and read chapter 21 since you referenced it. I was struck by how much it made me think of Genesis 1& 2 and how maybe the ultimate goal is to get back to that original relationship where we can walk in the garden with our Creator.
6/3/13 11:15 PM
RoninBT

88 views and only one comment. I thought this topic would generate more interest. I wonder if I had asked for favorite verses how many would have weighed in. I fear our theology is verse driven rather than chapter, book or heaven forbid bible driven. Its so easy to find a verse here and a verse there to support our preconceived ideas. I know I have abused this strategy. Don’t get me wrong there is value in it but balance is needed and context cannot be ignored.

Mr. Rider, thank you for your thoughts. You got me to go read a chapter that I tend to stay away from and in doing so I was edified.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.