UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> SOCCER KICKS: Why It's NOT MMA Without Them

6/2/13 2:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caposa
1557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/2/13 4:01 PM
Haulport
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/02/13 4:05 PM
BertR - 
Haulport - 
BertR - "kicking a man while he's down" might be too unpalatable in its violence for trying to make the sport more mainstream, especially in a climate where its still not sanctioned in every state.

Personally i wish they were there.
Yes but BLOOD pouring out all over the canvas is mainstream and palatable? And women beating the living shit out of each other is mainstream?

The fucking sheep will accept anything you tell them is ok and the real fans already understand...

i think the logic over getting bloodied up, women fighting, etc. is that they're in the midst of fighting a fair fight. "kicking a man while he's down" is synonymous with piling on to someones misfortune at their weakest moment, and the fear is the general publics perception of this sport being too violent and barbaric (especially how violent soccer kicks look) will lead to loss of fans due to shunning/loss of sanctioning and money.

The UFC/mma community is doing a balancing act of trying to make mma be perceived as a sanitized form of sporting competition while satisfying the violent aggressive release fans want to see.

I could not possibly disagree with this more. The idea that people will have a problem with "kicking a man when he is down" but they are ok with standing over him and pounding his face while his head bounces off the canvas or choking him till the cut on his forehead squirts blood (see BJ/Joe Daddy) is preposterous.

Soccer kicks are EXCITEMENT INCARNATE and what they bring to creating a striking free flow to a fight will generate 3 fans for every fan it loses.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind if we lost a ton of the shit-munchers who are fans now and replaced them with fans interested in DYNAMIC, exciting martial arts cause any fan of mma who actually believes in the "kicking a man when he's down" adage is a tool and should go watch boxing...

6/2/13 4:01 PM
Haulport

caposa - 

Now THAT is a definitive finish to a fight........

6/2/13 4:16 PM
Ballet Tudo Grand Master

Haulport - 
Ballet Tudo Grand Master - imho soccer kicks are street fighting moves, aka cheap shots.

if you need to soccer kick somebody, be a real artist and jump on the guy and finish him strikes, not bitch kicks.

Is this Tank Abbott's UG account? WTF are you talking about? Do you think that BJJ is "making love" like Krazy Horse?

are you drunk?

I said soccer kicks are STREET FIGHTING tactics and given your posting history and reputation here, it's pathetic that you attempt to limit any fellow members input on an issue you FOOLISHLY brought up.

But that is hardly a deviation from your years of troll threads on this very fine forum.

I mean, how can so many people be wrong about you, Haulport?

Grow up you child.
6/2/13 4:18 PM
kingkoopa

I dont see how a soccer kick or knee to the head on the ground is worse than a knee to the face from a thai clinch

If theres is proof theyre worse then they should b alowed except after a knockdown or something.

It is essential in that itll eliminate the cheapening of the sport by gaming of the rules or giving 1 dimensional wrestlers an advantage Phone Post
6/2/13 4:24 PM
Ballet Tudo Grand Master

Haulport - 

And BTW everyone...this is not a POLL about how you "feel" about soccer kicks. You can all go take you feelings and stick them up your dirty, sweaty, unwiped buttholes.

THIS thread is about how soccer kicks are ESSENTIAL for the sport to really be considered MMA. And it has an example of exactly that. So stop trying to change the subject by ignoring the writing on the wall (that gif)...

This is LAUGHABLE. Soccer kicks might be essential to NHB fighting in your dream world, but not the world of Mixed Martial Arts were honor, budo, discipline and other essential principles help define who you are.

You can cry and whine about this heavily opinionated and controlling thread of yours all you want. Your quoted words above are nothing but desperate attempts by you to steer the thread back in the original intention you had in making it.

But based on the replies of the members, are you finally waking up to the reality that your OPINION is foolish and when you call another people buttholes, how BADLY that reflects on YOU as a fellow martial artist?

I'm gonna get back to watching my Ultimate Tank Abbott documentary now.

http://www.atomikart.com/steve/images/UFC-KeyArt-3.jpg
6/2/13 4:37 PM
BertR

Haulport - 
BertR - 
Haulport - 
BertR - "kicking a man while he's down" might be too unpalatable in its violence for trying to make the sport more mainstream, especially in a climate where its still not sanctioned in every state.

Yes but BLOOD pouring out all over the canvas is mainstream and palatable? And women beating the living shit out of each other is mainstream?

The fucking sheep will accept anything you tell them is ok and the real fans already understand...

i think the logic over getting bloodied up, women fighting, etc. is that they're in the midst of fighting a fair fight. "kicking a man while he's down" is synonymous with piling on to someones misfortune at their weakest moment, and the fear is the general publics perception of this sport being too violent and barbaric (especially how violent soccer kicks look) will lead to loss of fans due to shunning/loss of sanctioning and money.

The UFC/mma community is doing a balancing act of trying to make mma be perceived as a sanitized form of sporting competition while satisfying the violent aggressive release fans want to see.

I could not possibly disagree with this more. The idea that people will have a problem with "kicking a man when he is down" but they are ok with standing over him and pounding his face while his head bounces off the canvas or choking him till the cut on his forehead squirts blood (see BJ/Joe Daddy) is preposterous.

Soccer kicks are EXCITEMENT INCARNATE and what they bring to creating a striking free flow to a fight will generate 3 fans for every fan it loses.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind if we lost a ton of the shit-munchers who are fans now and replaced them with fans interested in DYNAMIC, exciting martial arts cause any fan of mma who actually believes in the "kicking a man when he's down" adage is a tool and should go watch boxing...

For me, I'd like mma to be like it was in UFC 1 but with one 25 minute time limit. That's not possible if the sport wants to become mainstream. In order for it to be mainstream and attract mainstream sponsors it has to convince the general public and political leadership that it is a safe sporting event, otherwise it'll be shunned if not outright unsanctioned for being too violent and unacceptable behavior. Zuffa and mma promoters are in the business of making money so they want to be accepted by the system, hence the balancing act. Soccer kicks are awesome but are brutal, including being aesthetically brutal, and because it goes against a deep seated cultural norm at a sensitive time it adds up to not being worth the fight, i believe, from Zuffa's position - if they wanted to fight for it that is
6/2/13 4:52 PM
Hecklah

Sorry came in late but wanted to comment on the "Knees on the ground"
Anyone remember Don Frye vs Amaury Bitetti? Those have to be some of the nastiest knees on the ground I've ever scene. Love to see that video again! Phone Post 3.0
6/2/13 4:55 PM
6ULDV8
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yoghurt

6/2/13 5:01 PM
Winston Wolf

Haulport - 
Winston Wolf - wrong MMA is not a street fight ..it is MMA which is not a street fight

Leave it to you my fren to say something that is not only COMPLETELY illogical and WRONG but is comprised of 100% opinion yet stated as fact..........!

no ur thread title should say its not a fight without soccer kicks.MMA has strict rules like most sports.And in MMA soccer kicks are not part of the rules.I agree I enjoy soccer kicks but MMA is not Vale Tudo or anything goes
6/2/13 5:06 PM
The Black Cheez
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport -
Winston Wolf - wrong MMA is not a street fight ..it is MMA which is not a street fight

Leave it to you my fren to say something that is not only COMPLETELY illogical and WRONG but is comprised of 100% opinion yet stated as fact..........!

Your entire post is opinionated, OP. Plus, you're being kind of a dick to people for their opinions. In my opinion, soccer kicks aren't necessary. Otherwise, knees to the head and stomping would be fine, but soccer kicks are for soccer. Phone Post
6/2/13 8:28 PM
Diesel67
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport speaks the truth, as usual.
6/2/13 8:47 PM
MoustacheRider69
340 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa -

AWEEEYEEEEEEEAAAH Phone Post
6/2/13 8:53 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would love if they added this.

Also think they should have short Japanese men slap the fighters hands when they hold the fence :) Phone Post 3.0
6/2/13 11:04 PM
Haulport

Stigga - I would love if they added this.

Also think they should have short Japanese men slap the fighters hands when they hold the fence :) Phone Post 3.0

Always reminded me of pro wrasslin' "Lumberjack" matches...

6/2/13 11:05 PM
Haulport

Diesel67 - Haulport speaks the truth, as usual.

Domo arigato...

6/2/13 11:09 PM
Haulport

Ballet Tudo Grand Master - 
Haulport - 
Ballet Tudo Grand Master - imho soccer kicks are street fighting moves, aka cheap shots.

if you need to soccer kick somebody, be a real artist and jump on the guy and finish him strikes, not bitch kicks.

Is this Tank Abbott's UG account? WTF are you talking about? Do you think that BJJ is "making love" like Krazy Horse?

are you drunk?

I said soccer kicks are STREET FIGHTING tactics and given your posting history and reputation here, it's pathetic that you attempt to limit any fellow members input on an issue you FOOLISHLY brought up.

But that is hardly a deviation from your years of troll threads on this very fine forum.

I mean, how can so many people be wrong about you, Haulport?

Grow up you child.

Your mischaracterization of my "reputation" is woefully ignorant my fren as is your outrageous statement that soccer kicks are "street fighting tactics". Fish hooking and nut shots, sure. Go ask the Chute Boxe guys if all their drilling of Soccer kicks and stomps was not martial arts training and just some lowly, street fighting tactic.....

6/2/13 11:10 PM
Haulport

The Black Cheez - 
Haulport -

Your entire post is opinionated, OP. Plus, you're being kind of a dick to people for their opinions. In my opinion, soccer kicks aren't necessary. Otherwise, knees to the head and stomping would be fine, but soccer kicks are for soccer. Phone Post

Nah, me and Winston have a history that has morphed into a hostile yet somewhat friendly animosity...

Though I'm still convinced he'd attack me if we met...

6/2/13 11:11 PM
Haulport

Winston Wolf - 
Haulport - 

no ur thread title should say its not a fight without soccer kicks.MMA has strict rules like most sports.And in MMA soccer kicks are not part of the rules.I agree I enjoy soccer kicks but MMA is not Vale Tudo or anything goes

I guess ONE FC isn't an MMA event according to you since soccer kicks are part of their rules...........?

6/2/13 11:18 PM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm with you, Haulport.

6/2/13 11:19 PM
Haulport

Ballet Tudo Grand Master - 
Haulport - 

And BTW everyone...this is not a POLL about how you "feel" about soccer kicks. You can all go take you feelings and stick them up your dirty, sweaty, unwiped buttholes.

THIS thread is about how soccer kicks are ESSENTIAL for the sport to really be considered MMA. And it has an example of exactly that. So stop trying to change the subject by ignoring the writing on the wall (that gif)...

This is LAUGHABLE. Soccer kicks might be essential to NHB fighting in your dream world, but not the world of Mixed Martial Arts were honor, budo, discipline and other essential principles help define who you are.

You can cry and whine about this heavily opinionated and controlling thread of yours all you want. Your quoted words above are nothing but desperate attempts by you to steer the thread back in the original intention you had in making it.

But based on the replies of the members, are you finally waking up to the reality that your OPINION is foolish and when you call another people buttholes, how BADLY that reflects on YOU as a fellow martial artist?

I'm gonna get back to watching my Ultimate Tank Abbott documentary now.

http://www.atomikart.com/steve/images/UFC-KeyArt-3.jpg

LOL! This one almost had me in tears!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to have assumed your identity because you definitely aren't Tank..... he's not such a pussy : )

This quote was the BEST: "were honor, budo, discipline and other essential principles help define who you are."

Yes, it is very honorable of Travis Browne to repeatedly smash his opponent's heads in well after they are CLEARLY limp and unconscious.

Honor has to do with how you behave. You're idea that soccer kicks somehow = dishonorable is a myopic, Western-centric concept that proves only that you don't understand the word you used above (budo - oh the ironing!)

Forget the Ultimae Tank, here's something more up your alley:

6/2/13 11:20 PM
Haulport

CharlesLewis - 

I'm with you, Haulport.

And you are a welcome addition indeed...

6/2/13 11:25 PM
Haulport

BertR - 
Haulport - 
BertR - 
Haulport - 

For me, I'd like mma to be like it was in UFC 1 but with one 25 minute time limit. That's not possible if the sport wants to become mainstream. In order for it to be mainstream and attract mainstream sponsors it has to convince the general public and political leadership that it is a safe sporting event, otherwise it'll be shunned if not outright unsanctioned for being too violent and unacceptable behavior. Zuffa and mma promoters are in the business of making money so they want to be accepted by the system, hence the balancing act. Soccer kicks are awesome but are brutal, including being aesthetically brutal, and because it goes against a deep seated cultural norm at a sensitive time it adds up to not being worth the fight, i believe, from Zuffa's position - if they wanted to fight for it that is

We are in the mainstream. It's done. It's over. Now it needs to be interesting and exciting or it will fade away (as it aready is). You cannot cow-tow to those who don't care about you. You change things by leading and TELLING people what is good and acceptable. People are dogs. We live in hierarchies and most want to be led.

Frank and Lorenzo know this and that is how they have culled a generation of mma fans who suck Dana's cock and accept shitty cards regularly.

It is always just a matter of leadership and ball.......

6/3/13 12:06 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Overall OP makes some good points but the thread loses steam because he thinks he's some sort of edgy UG persona. 6/10.
6/3/13 1:35 AM
Haulport

RileyPust - Overall OP makes some good points but the thread loses steam because he thinks he's some sort of edgy UG persona. 6/10.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.