UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> SOCCER KICKS: Why It's NOT MMA Without Them

6/6/13 10:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Haulport
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

time traveling 12er - So you guys are saying you only want mma fights to be held in Asia now?

No, I am saying that the only MMA fights happening (on TV at least) ARE in Asia right now................

6/6/13 10:13 PM
time traveling 12er
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How about we get MMA in NYC before we start talking about crazy stuff like adding in soccer kicks and shit? They're already trying to amend the "three point on the mat" rule for downed opponents so at least they're moving in the right direction.

Also you can apply the same logic to just about any banned move. Joe Son's fight would have gone vastly differently had nut shots not been allowed. What makes it mma are the agreed upon rules that say it's mma.
6/6/13 10:22 PM
Haulport

time traveling 12er - How about we get MMA in NYC before we start talking about crazy stuff like adding in soccer kicks and shit? They're already trying to amend the "three point on the mat" rule for downed opponents so at least they're moving in the right direction.

Also you can apply the same logic to just about any banned move. Joe Son's fight would have gone vastly differently had nut shots not been allowed. What makes it mma are the agreed upon rules that say it's mma.

LOL @ this stupid shit. Who gives a fuck if MMA is legal in NY or not? It's legal everywhere else. Only ZUFFA cares if it's legal in NY so perhaps you should start thinking for yourself...

And if you look at the gifs and videos on this thread and come away still thinking that North American Wrestle-Box is real MMA and try to equate it with nut shots than you are beyond help...............

6/6/13 10:23 PM
Haulport

UnderTheClock - 

We don't need brain damaged guys walking around. It's a fairly new sport. Head butts on the ground would be good though.

Name one single fighter who was permanently injured from soccer kicks in MMA.

While you are sitting there thinking I'll write a list of MMA fighters who are DEAD because of PUNCHES.........

6/6/13 10:27 PM
time traveling 12er
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, I get it. You want MMA to go back to what it was back in the day. Your special thing where you had to trade tapes to watch it and no one else knew what it was. Well if things don't go well it could go back to being relegated to espn3 and ppv's at 3am.

So what separates soccer kicks from eye gouges, crotch strikes, biting, hair pulling? I mean, hair pulling probably barely even does damage, and guys are supposed to wear cups anyways right?
6/6/13 10:27 PM
Haulport

UnderTheClock - 

I think he meant that it's not supposed to be a total street fight.

Actually IT IS..........

That is the original intent. For MMA to be a REAL FIGHT and not some sport that can be won on points. The ONLY REASON it mutated was because of that withered old potato head John McCain and his boxing sponsoring Budweiser Heiress wife.............

6/6/13 10:32 PM
Haulport

time traveling 12er - Ok, I get it. You want MMA to go back to what it was back in the day. Your special thing where you had to trade tapes to watch it and no one else knew what it was. Well if things don't go well it could go back to being relegated to espn3 and ppv's at 3am.

So what separates soccer kicks from eye gouges, crotch strikes, biting, hair pulling? I mean, hair pulling probably barely even does damage, and guys are supposed to wear cups anyways right?

You see when someone doesn't have an argument they try to make personal attacks (ad hominem) on the person they are "debating" with (i.e. trying to paint them as hipsters who live in the past and don't like their "thing" to go mainstream).

People who engage in these tactics are usually people too stupid or too lazy to be able to discuss the topic intelligently or they are just without a reasonable argument but refuse to accept they are wrong......

6/6/13 10:39 PM
time traveling 12er

Haulport - 
time traveling 12er - Ok, I get it. You want MMA to go back to what it was back in the day. Your special thing where you had to trade tapes to watch it and no one else knew what it was. Well if things don't go well it could go back to being relegated to espn3 and ppv's at 3am.

You see when someone doesn't have an argument they try to make personal attacks (ad hominem) on the person they are "debating" with (i.e. trying to paint them as hipsters who live in the past and don't like their "thing" to go mainstream).

People who engage in these tactics are usually people too stupid or too lazy to be able to discuss the topic intelligently or they are just without a reasonable argument but refuse to accept they are wrong......

Lol, ad hominem? Maybe you should look up your own responses there. I didn't attack you, I made an observation based on your posting. You don't care where MMA get's legislated, you don't care where it's shown. Basically what you care about is that it's badass the way you want it to be, regardless of what happens to the overall sport.

So where's you're logical response? You said it's ridiculous to say nut shots compare to soccer kicks, then you go on to say it's supposed to be like a street fight. There are no nut shots in street fighting? Your logic for why soccer kicks are "real" mma make no sense. I applied your same reasoning to other banned aspects of the sport and they work. You're the one on here throwing a fit because you don't have really good reasoning as to why soccer kicks make it "real".
6/6/13 10:49 PM
time traveling 12er

Hey Haulport, if you ever run in to a UFC fighter do me a favor and tell him what he does isn't really MMA and is bullshit because there are no soccer kicks. I'm sure he'll give you like 10 high fives.
6/6/13 11:43 PM
Mr B Rock
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

knees to the head does the opposite of create scrambles.

watch some tapes of the old wrestlers working for NS and the knees. boring.

the kick rule should be 4 points one a knee.

headbutts create too many cut stoppages.

I love the old rules but some of the new ones make sense.

6/6/13 11:46 PM
Haulport

time traveling 12er - Hey Haulport, if you ever run in to a UFC fighter do me a favor and tell him what he does isn't really MMA and is bullshit because there are no soccer kicks. I'm sure he'll give you like 10 high fives.

LOL, I have met a lot of mma fighters, refs, commission execs and judges in relaxed settings and had discussions about my feeling on the rules and a strong majority agree with me and we just shrug and say, "It is what it is."

6/6/13 11:47 PM
Haulport

Mr B Rock - knees to the head does the opposite of create scrambles.

watch some tapes of the old wrestlers working for NS and the knees. boring.

the kick rule should be 4 points one a knee.

headbutts create too many cut stoppages.

I love the old rules but some of the new ones make sense.

Yes, because PRIDE was known for it's absence of dynamic, wild scrambles............. I guess we were both watching different fights with knees on the ground.........

6/6/13 11:55 PM
Mr B Rock
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow cards created those scrambles
6/6/13 11:55 PM
Haulport

Edited: 06/07/13 12:09 AM
time traveling 12er - 
Haulport - 

Lol, ad hominem? Maybe you should look up your own responses there. I didn't attack you, I made an observation based on your posting. You don't care where MMA get's legislated, you don't care where it's shown. Basically what you care about is that it's badass the way you want it to be, regardless of what happens to the overall sport.

So where's you're logical response? You said it's ridiculous to say nut shots compare to soccer kicks, then you go on to say it's supposed to be like a street fight. There are no nut shots in street fighting? Your logic for why soccer kicks are "real" mma make no sense. I applied your same reasoning to other banned aspects of the sport and they work. You're the one on here throwing a fit because you don't have really good reasoning as to why soccer kicks make it "real".

You have no argument and you don't even understand that. Your "logic" can be applied to ANY technique. To explain that, answer this question:

"So what separates punches from eye gouges?"

The only thing that separates them is that one is legal and the other isn't. There is no answer to your question outside of existing rules.

The only reason soccer kicks, stomps, 12-6 elbows and knees on the ground are illegal in North America is because of John McCain. Not because they are so dangerous. Because a handful of clueless, scummy politicians decided to fuck with some businessmen who were elbowing in on their preferred business partner: Boxing. Elbows were illegal in PRIDE. Does that mean they are to be equated with nutshots?

The reality of rules is that they are a reflection of what people want to see. If you want to make believe safety is involved in rules then go watch people die in boxing, die doing stunts for movies, die in Nascar, get paralyzed in the NFL, etc. I don't want strikes to the spine, nutshots or biting allowed so I'm not making threads about it. Maybe some people do. Maybe some people want to see the Nutshot Championship of the World. That's their prerogative.

All this talk of safety in fightsports is an illusion. And it is complete and total horseshit because there are WAY more dangerous events and sports out there on a daily basis.

In summation: please get a fucking clue.

6/7/13 12:00 AM
Haulport

Mr B Rock - yellow cards created those scrambles

The entire ruleset was created for action. To say that knees would make things boring is assuming that refs would just let guys lay on each other for long stretches. At that point it is the refs that are making it boring, not the knees..........

6/7/13 4:00 AM
eiuwrestler174
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rules should allow for these attacks. It does change the scramble. It does change the front headlock. It does change the turtle position (all fours without hooks). It does change North/South. It does change Side control.

I think the allowance of these attacks would make for a more REAL combat situation. It would add excitement. It would take away some stalling situations.

But to be fair (to the fighters)..... We should get paid just that little bit more considering the amount of damage just may shorten our careers a bit.....
6/7/13 5:09 AM
Winston Wolf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport wants to be entertained and could care less about safety or anything else ( every thread )
6/7/13 5:12 AM
Winston Wolf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - 
JoeHurley -  Not sure how you make this thread while ignoring headbutts which change the game way more than knees on the ground and soccer kicks. Phone Post

Actually I am a BIG proponent of headbutts but I try to separate things especially since there is ZERO support for them on these boards.

I don't think they are more important than soccer kicks. Soccer kicks change things COMPLETELY. Head butts make a huge difference but I don't think it's anywhere near the impact.

of course u do are all u care about is being entertained U make thread after thread complaining always wanting more action Try tuffman
6/7/13 5:15 AM
Winston Wolf

Haulport - 
time traveling 12er - Hey Haulport, if you ever run in to a UFC fighter do me a favor and tell him what he does isn't really MMA and is bullshit because there are no soccer kicks. I'm sure he'll give you like 10 high fives.

LOL, I have met a lot of mma fighters, refs, commission execs and judges in relaxed settings and had discussions about my feeling on the rules and a strong majority agree with me and we just shrug and say, "It is what it is."

bull shit
6/7/13 5:19 AM
Jons Forsberg

Winston Wolf - wrong MMA is not a street fight ..it is MMA which is not a street fight

holy mind fuck.
6/7/13 6:24 AM
Lazer MMA

Winston Wolf - Haulport wants to be entertained and could care less about safety or anything else ( every thread )

WW iirc I read the UFC wants knees to the head allowed again. Man I hate turtling and it does change fights IMO too.

I know I'm a savage but I started watching the UFC (UFC 1) to see which style is best in real fighting. I'll always be a fan but the further we move away from 'real fighting' the less meaningful any result IMO.
6/7/13 8:14 AM
Winston Wolf

Lazer MMA - 
Winston Wolf - Haulport wants to be entertained and could care less about safety or anything else ( every thread )

WW iirc I read the UFC wants knees to the head allowed again. Man I hate turtling and it does change fights IMO too.

I know I'm a savage but I started watching the UFC (UFC 1) to see which style is best in real fighting. I'll always be a fan but the further we move away from 'real fighting' the less meaningful any result IMO.

MMA is not a real fight not even close.Its a sport
6/7/13 10:31 AM
Unseen
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With such a large thread I'm sure this has already been stated but knees on the ground also give wrestlers with poor submissions an incentive to pass guard. Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 10:42 AM
Masakyst
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Upkicks - Yes
Knees - Yes
Soccer Kicks - No
Stomps - No
6/7/13 1:31 PM
Diesel67

I'm cool with headbutts too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.