UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gustafsson: I expect a title shot offer soon

6/1/13 1:39 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Jon Jones has dispatched of every contender in the UFC's light heavyweight division. So much so a potential super fight with Anderson Silva may be on the horizon. However, Swedish fighter Alexander Gustafson believes he deserves a title shot and thinks it may be coming soon:

"He wants to fight me, and I want to fight him," Gustafsson said. "[The UFC hasn't] offered me the fight yet. I'm just really hoping to get some answers soon.

"I'm really hoping for it, and I think I will get the fight. I think I will be offered a title fight very soon. Nothing is set or signed, though."

read entire article...

6/1/13 1:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
858 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope so. I want to see this fight.

6/1/13 1:45 PM
wink91wink
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He needs to fight Machida or Glover first
6/1/13 1:46 PM
Barbalos

wink91wink - He needs to fight Machida or Glover first

I don't know about that. Did Chael fight either of those, or anyone at LHW? Beating Shogun is a good accomplishment at LHW.
6/1/13 1:50 PM
Lasko
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barbalos -

I don't know about that. Did Chael fight either of those, or anyone at LHW? Beating Shogun is a good accomplishment at LHW.
I'm pretty sure Shogun record is 3-4 in the past 4 years. I love Shogun but beating him shouldn't grant you a title shot anymore. Gus vs Machida is the fight to make. The winner of that fights Jones. Phone Post
6/1/13 1:57 PM
Barbalos

Rory N Ricci s Third Wheel - 
Lasko -
Barbalos -

I'm pretty sure Shogun record is 3-4 in the past 4 years. I love Shogun but beating him shouldn't grant you a title shot anymore. Gus vs Machida is the fight to make. The winner of that fights Jones. Phone Post
He is right guys. Beating a former LHW champ isn't enough. He should fight Glover who has never fought a Top 5 guy. Phone Post

Right?? And all shogun's 4 losses there are to current or former champions, except for Gustaffson. Still a pretty good win in my book. Maybe not as much going forward from now though.
6/1/13 1:59 PM
HolyHackZack
418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since when is winning fights criteria for contendership?

6/1/13 2:00 PM
Lasko
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rory N Ricci s Third Wheel -
Lasko -
Barbalos -

He is right guys. Beating a former LHW champ isn't enough. He should fight Glover who has never fought a Top 5 guy. Phone Post
Glover vs Henderson and Machida vs Gus are the 2 fights to make. Winner of Machida/Gus gets the fight against Jones. Maybe the winner of Glover/Henderson gets Jones after that or fights the loser of Machida/Gus. Phone Post
6/1/13 2:06 PM
Barbalos

Lasko - 
Rory N Ricci s Third Wheel -
Lasko -
Barbalos -

Glover vs Henderson and Machida vs Gus are the 2 fights to make. Winner of Machida/Gus gets the fight against Jones. Maybe the winner of Glover/Henderson gets Jones after that or fights the loser of Machida/Gus. Phone Post

Maybe, but I'd rather see Gus get the shot personally. I don't think Machida has a prayer there. Maybe that's just me. Wouldn't mind seeing Henderson get a shot too. I'm not that interested in these smaller fights, why not have Jones fight more often if he is able? As if the last fight against Chael wasn't a big gimme waste of time anyways.
6/1/13 2:06 PM
Lasko

Barbalos -
Lasko -
Barbalos -

Right?? And all shogun's 4 losses there are to current or former champions, except for Gustaffson. Still a pretty good win in my book. Maybe not as much going forward from now though.
You can apply the same argument with Machida only losing to current and former champions. The only problem with your argument is that lhw division probably has the most amount of active former champions than any other division. Before Jones won the belt it was like a revolving door of champions. Phone Post
6/1/13 2:09 PM
DoomFarmer
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alex vs. Glover for the shot. Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 2:18 PM
Barbalos

Lasko - 
Barbalos -
Lasko -
Barbalos -

You can apply the same argument with Machida only losing to current and former champions. The only problem with your argument is that lhw division probably has the most amount of active former champions than any other division. Before Jones won the belt it was like a revolving door of champions. Phone Post

The only thing there is that Machida lost to Shogun in devastating fashion. Some say that he is 0-2 to Shogun also.
6/1/13 2:52 PM
whiteghost
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

henderson vs. machida determined the #1 contender.

Gus thinks that by not fighting Mousasi he gets the shot?

6/1/13 2:55 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whiteghost - henderson vs. machida determined the #1 contender.

Weidman got the Silva fight after backing out of the Boetsch fight
6/1/13 3:02 PM
newjack900
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn the LHW division is a bit of a mess at the top. I really hate the idea of a guy being rewarded after pulling out of a fight. I know he probably wouldn't have much of a chance but I was hoping for Hendo to get his shot after beating Shogun and then was pist when he lost the split to Machida bc I think he woulda got his shot for sure then.
6/1/13 3:15 PM
Barbalos

newjack900 - Damn the LHW division is a bit of a mess at the top. I really hate the idea of a guy being rewarded after pulling out of a fight. I know he probably wouldn't have much of a chance but I was hoping for Hendo to get his shot after beating Shogun and then was pist when he lost the split to Machida bc I think he woulda got his shot for sure then.

I don't know if Hendo has a high chance either, but I'd like to see it. I don't want to see more rematches, in any division, really. I guess if they have to do a few smaller fights to order the division, that makes sense, but I'd like to see Jones fight some new blood (that isn't a MW).
6/1/13 3:20 PM
da Vinci 81
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you guys all wanting Gus to fight someone like Machida or Glover for the next shot have no clue how scheduling and timing works? Unless Jones is out for the next 6 months or so why the hell do you want him to sit around waiting for so long while all these contenders keep fighting each other?

If Jones is good to go by fall there's no time for Gus, Machida, or even Glover to fight someone else before a title fight.
6/1/13 3:29 PM
DoomFarmer
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - Do you guys all wanting Gus to fight someone like Machida or Glover for the next shot have no clue how scheduling and timing works? Unless Jones is out for the next 6 months or so why the hell do you want him to sit around waiting for so long while all these contenders keep fighting each other?

If Jones is good to go by fall there's no time for Gus, Machida, or even Glover to fight someone else before a title fight.
Jones fights more frequently than any other champ.

He also has an injured toe.

It won't kill him or anyone else to sit him on the sidelines for a bit to get the goddamn LHW division straightened out. Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 3:34 PM
PatrickVilone

whiteghost - henderson vs. machida determined the #1 contender.

This Phone Post
6/1/13 3:36 PM
da Vinci 81
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer - 
da Vinci 81 - Do you guys all wanting Gus to fight someone like Machida or Glover for the next shot have no clue how scheduling and timing works? Unless Jones is out for the next 6 months or so why the hell do you want him to sit around waiting for so long while all these contenders keep fighting each other?

Jones fights more frequently than any other champ.

He also has an injured toe.

It won't kill him or anyone else to sit him on the sidelines for a bit to get the goddamn LHW division straightened out. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, and because he's the one who made the division such a mess it makes even less sense for these contenders to be fighting each other. Jones needs challengers, it does no good having them knocking each other off when there's so few of them in the division as it is.

6/1/13 4:09 PM
The Other Persian
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gustafson v. Glover is a bad idea. Both are fresh challengers for the title. Gus first and Glover next - after a top 5 win.

Machida is a problem because a decision loss to him (a la henderson) should really be a draw because it derails you for a while. Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 4:32 PM
DoomFarmer

Gus should earn his shot and he has not done that yet.

Don't give a shit about the Vitor or Chael situations either.

It's time to get the division on track and handing a shot to Gus after dropping out of a goddamn fight is laughable. Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 4:49 PM
SimonSu

DoomFarmer - Gus should earn his shot and he has not done that yet.

Don't give a shit about the Vitor or Chael situations either.

It's time to get the division on track and handing a shot to Gus after dropping out of a goddamn fight is laughable. Phone Post 3.0

He's on a six fight win streak in the UFC. It's a hell of a lot better than the ones Machida and Jones had leading up to their first title fights.

Machida

Sam Hoger - Dec

David Heath - Dec

Kazuhiro Nakamura - Dec

Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou - Sub

Tito Ortiz - Dec

Thiago Silva - KO

Jon

Brandon Vera - TKO

Vladimir Matyushenko - TKO

Ryan Bader - Sub

Gustafsson

Cyrille Diabaté - Sub

James Te-Huna - Sub

Matt Hamill - TKO

Vladimir Matyushenko - TKO

Thiago Silva - Dec

Maurício Rua - Dec

6/1/13 4:53 PM
Poptarts

Gustafsson needs to fight a physically dominant grappler with a strong top game before he faces Jones, show us Jones can't exploit the same weakness Phil did. Get us really wondering if he can threaten the champ.

Gustafsson should face either Cormier or Glover next, Phil rematch isn't a bad option either but the UFC LHW division is filled with old bums like Shogun so what does it even matter.
6/1/13 8:03 PM
wink91wink

I don't feel like watching another fight go down like Sonnen vs Jones. No reason not to make a fight so that the best contender is fighting the champion.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.