UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ronda's Mom: TUF switch timing a 'dick move'

6/1/13 3:08 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Ronda Rousey famously learned to fight under the guidance of her mother, Dr. Ann Maria Rousey DeMars, the first American to win a World Judo Championship. Dr. De Mars was given to taking maxims like “Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect” and making them more pointed.

“You know what happens when you practice half-@##, Ronda?" Dr. DeMars asked her daughter. "You f@#%ing lose!”

Ronda's mom has a blog on achieving success in business, sports and academics, that includes random thoughts on Judo, parenting, mixed martial arts, winning & whatever she feels like rambling on.

The most recent entry is on the timing of the announcement that Miesha Tate was replacing an injured Cat Zingano on the next TUF.

Warning up front: This post is not for children.

Not that anyone asked me, but I thought I would give my opinion on The Ultimate Fighter show. I've only watched this show the season Manny Gamburyan was on it because, well, I have an actual job that requires me to go places like North Dakota, where I am at the moment, and do work.

Doing work conflicts with reality shows in general. I've watched about five minutes each of Jersey Shore (I think that's the name) and some show about the Kardashians. Both times, I changed the channel quickly as I felt brain cells beginning to die. I've never watched the O.C. which explains why, when I asked our dentist, Dr. Pratt, how his children were doing he gave me a strange look and said, "You don't watch TV, do you?"

When I heard about the last-minute switch in coaches for the show Ronda is on, my first thought was, "That's a pretty dick move."

Not so much replacing Cat, who was injured (ouch!) but keeping it from Ronda until the last minute. If you're going to have an athletic competition, then it should be fair. Among other things, that means you don't give one competitor information that the other doesn't have. You don't let one player know something weeks in advance of the other player.

So, it is pretty clear that whoever is making the decisions here has decided this is not an athletic competition, it's a reality show. That's what a lot of people have been saying all along, it's just going to be a side show and not a serious athletic event.

Here is my advice to Ronda, not that she asked me either, but that has never stopped me before.

You know who gets to decide if this is an athletic competition or a reality show? You.

My coach used to be amused by other coaches who before the match would be giving lengthy instructions to my competitor - get your right cross grip, then go for the uchi mata, then switch.... As Jimmy Martin said, why didn't they tell her that in the last six weeks before the match. Every now and then, though, he would get annoyed by all of the posturing. That's when he would pull me close and whisper in my ear his coaching advice.

"F---. Her. Up."

So, if I was Ronda, I would train my ass off and I would follow the sage coaching advice of Jimmy Martin. I'd also make damn sure I found out who pulled that dick move on me and never trust him/them again. The good thing is you get to take out your emotions beating people up and that will make a great show.

You can forgive, but don't forget. If someone will manipulate you just for show, well, that tells you something about them doesn't it?

Read entire blog...

6/1/13 3:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tru
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/01/13 3:19 PM
Click For MMA Videos

cliff notes:

Ronda's mom does not watch jersey shore, the hills or TUF.

Ronda's mom basically says the UFC does not trust Ronda and never told her about the switch of coaches prior to it happening.

Ronda's mom has a "life" and a "real job" so she can not committ to 1 hour a week of television to watch TUF in the past.

6/1/13 3:13 PM
Hikikomori
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah...this won't end well.

Jimmy martin sounds a lot like manny stewart. Phone Post
6/1/13 3:15 PM
I LOVE GSP

Edited: 06/01/13 3:16 PM
that chick is Bad ass.

"Not so much replacing Cat, who was injured (ouch!) but keeping it from Ronda until the last minute. If you're going to have an athletic competition, then it should be fair. Among other things, that means you don't give one competitor information that the other doesn't have. You don't let one player know something weeks in advance of the other player."

valid point.
6/1/13 3:17 PM
Feelz Good

I get that Rhonda's mom is an intelligent woman with sweet judo skills, but I wish she'd just go away. What other MMA star's parent gets this much attention? Phone Post 3.0
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voted down
TheRaider
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff.

Fuck her up!
6/1/13 3:18 PM
EvilMaster

Ronda's mom is great. An awesome Judo player and a very intelligent person. Dana better not fuck Ronda over in any way, cause mama bear is a true bad ass.

Dana has about 2% of the "scorched earth" that Mama Rousey has. Wouldn't even be a fair battle of the scorched earths. She would pwn DFW badly.

6/1/13 3:21 PM
MMALOGIC

someone should tell her that Ronda inst fighting Tate on the show.
6/1/13 3:25 PM
OGT
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kinda misleading thread title Phone Post
6/1/13 3:27 PM
da Vinci 81
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - someone should tell her that Ronda inst fighting Tate on the show.

This. I don't think she knows what the hell she's talking about.
6/1/13 3:27 PM
Festus
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I LOVE GSP - that chick is Bad ass.

"Not so much replacing Cat, who was injured (ouch!) but keeping it from Ronda until the last minute. If you're going to have an athletic competition, then it should be fair. Among other things, that means you don't give one competitor information that the other doesn't have. You don't let one player know something weeks in advance of the other player."

valid point.
The fair thing would be to let tate know she was going to be coaching so she would prepare for it. Rhonda knew she was coaching. This has nothing ti do with them fighting each other.

Her saying "not fair to rhonda" makes no sense what-so-ever Phone Post
6/1/13 3:32 PM
AWdub

Well at least we know why Rhonda is as annoying as she is now. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 3:32 PM
TX_432
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is a reality show, always has been. Phone Post
6/1/13 3:33 PM
HandsomeTopTeam
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - someone should tell her that Ronda inst fighting Tate on the show.

What the hell is mama Rousey babbling about? She seems annoying.
6/1/13 3:35 PM
gabemadrid
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Think she's just upset with how her daughter found out i.e. showing up on set and having Meisha appear instead of Cat to film her reaction. Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 3:42 PM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
2361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OGT - Kinda misleading thread title Phone Post
Lol... Just what I was thinking... Thought she was gunna talk about "The Old Fashioned" Switch a Dick Move!! Phone Post 3.0
Barbalos

Well how does Jon Jones mom feel about his opponents? How about Joe Rogan's mom, what is she up to? WTF is this shit, is what I'm saying.
DamirioN
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh boo hoo. So does that somehow give Tate the coaching advantage? Big deal. The athletic competition occurs after the show is over anyways.
6/1/13 3:48 PM
shoudawhouda
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Intellectual snobbery IMO. Phone Post
6/1/13 3:50 PM
Rigamaroles

I like this woman. You got a cool Mom, Rhonda. Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 3:54 PM
dannyapodaca

She should stfu and go make me a sandwich Phone Post
6/1/13 3:57 PM
Dugs95

I LOVE GSP - that chick is Bad ass.

valid point.
It's not like meisha knew cat would get hurt! They BOTH were informed within days of each other.... Neither one has an advantage because of that.... This woman likes attention n running her mouth n makes no sense, if I didn't dislike Tate n mr Tate so much is be rooting against Ronda, I really don't like her mom talking so much Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 3:59 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael's mom is my favorite MMA mom. I also like Mama Woodley, she cracks me up lol Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 4:00 PM
rampageforpresident

Edited: 06/01/13 4:01 PM
Does she not realize that they gave her daughter the easiest "fight" they could have possibly given her??

As I'm sure they will continue to do until they can make more money by not doing it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.