UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Weidman volunteered to fight Jones at UFC 151

6/6/13 8:15 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC 151 is the answer to what is sure to be an MMA trivia question: which was the only UFC PPV to ever be cancelled? UFC 151 was planned for September 1st, 2012 and featured a light heavyweight title fight between Jon Jones and Dan Henderson. However, eight days prior to the event, Dan Henderson withdrew from an injury and with no suitable replacement, the event was cancelled. Middleweight number one contender Chris Weidman, however did his best to save the event, volunteering himself to fight Jones:

I'm the type of guy that loves big opportunities. I like when the cards are against me, and people think that I have no chance. I believe in myself, so when that fight came out that it was in jeopardy, I called my manager and asked if there was a possibility that I could get the fight because I think I could take it. He was like, 'Really?' and I was like, 'Yeah.' He said give me a couple days, and I told him I was ready to go.

So, he called Joe Silva, and he was like, 'Are you kidding me?' I think Joe liked the fact that I did that. So he said he wasn't going to tell Dana and them unless I called my coaches to make sure it was all 100%. I called Matt and told him that I wanted to this. They were all on board, so I called back my manager, and he tells Joe Silva, and he thought it was awesome, so he called Dana White, but then they ended up throwing the fight out, and then the whole card out. I was all ready to go [laughs]. I ran straight to the gym and started working out.

read entire article...

6/6/13 8:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MexiCain AmeriCain
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BEAST Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 8:22 AM
Jstmike
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its easy to volunteer for things you know aren't going to happen. C'mon Son Phone Post
6/6/13 8:23 AM
blupitt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something tells me it'd be better than the Chael fight. But just stop with these fights. Phone Post
6/6/13 8:24 AM
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More than I can chew.

6/6/13 8:46 AM
Rob San Soo

Would love to see him fight sonnen after Anderson smashes this dude. Guy tries to be sonnen so bad. Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 8:49 AM
discodrew
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rob San Soo - Would love to see him fight sonnen after Anderson smashes this dude. Guy tries to be sonnen so bad. Phone Post 3.0
How does he try to be sonnen?

He isn't talking shit.
All he said is he would take a fight with Jones if they needed someone. Phone Post
6/6/13 8:52 AM
DirtyLickinsBrah
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

discodrew -
Rob San Soo - Would love to see him fight sonnen after Anderson smashes this dude. Guy tries to be sonnen so bad. Phone Post 3.0
How does he try to be sonnen?

He isn't talking shit.
All he said is he would take a fight with Jones if they needed someone. Phone Post
Thats what sonnen did!!
Props to anyone that would fight on short notice.
this makes me think that maybe others do offer to step up against shogun, but ufc only acknowledges chael. Phone Post
6/6/13 8:58 AM
wiggum
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How can anyone see this as a negative?
6/6/13 9:03 AM
Damaynevent

File this in the "who gives a shit" folder. I like Weidman, but he's trying too hard to make himself relevant. Beat Anderson and you'll be the most relevant topic of discussion in the MMA world. Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 9:09 AM
GaspareBJJ
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get the Weidman hate! Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 9:11 AM
Crooklyn
727 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BloodyElbow.com, Featured Writer

Thank you for posting. I appreciate it!.

6/6/13 9:16 AM
WhoShotYushinOkami
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GaspareBJJ - I don't get the Weidman hate! Phone Post 3.0

Me neither.

6/6/13 9:19 AM
LILBROCK

Edited: 06/06/13 1:38 PM
I bet every fighter in the UFC would step up to take a title shot in the next division. They all know it's something that will never happen and if they get the fight, they have nothing to lose.

It's weird to me that posters think a fighter has balls or is impressed when they offer to take a PPV title fight with one of the biggest faces in the UFC, paying way more money than he normally gets. Just like when Chael does it, or when Nick says he'll fight Anderson. Of course he will. It's his only chance at ever facing Anderson, Chaels only chance at fighting Jones, and Weidmans only chance at fighting Jones. Of course they will take opportunities that they could never earn.
6/6/13 9:20 AM
AndrewBax

If he wants to fight Anderson silva so bad, why would he think that he would get a title shot at 185 when the 205 champ beats him? Or has that happened before? Haha Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 9:40 AM
raags
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a fan of Weidman's constant talk on Anderson but he gets huge props in my book for this. This was actually mentioned by some news outlets at the time of the whiole UFC 151 debacle.

6/6/13 9:41 AM
Lobo8

WhoShotYushinOkami - 

Me neither.

I like him too. Guess some people are irked by his extreme confidence in himself. Fighters should believe in themselves and think they can beat anyone. Only time i dont like fighters is when they say and do stupid things, like jon jones
6/6/13 9:46 AM
inf0
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

meh.. Sonnen did these things and more.......... he's got CS's playbook or what?

6/6/13 9:57 AM
WhoShotYushinOkami
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lobo8 - 
WhoShotYushinOkami - 

Me neither.

I like him too. Guess some people are irked by his extreme confidence in himself. Fighters should believe in themselves and think they can beat anyone. Only time i dont like fighters is when they say and do stupid things, like jon jones

He should believe that he

a) can beat anyone

b) deserves a title shot

c) will win the belt in said title shot

In fact every fighter on the roster should have those beliefs no matter who ridiculous and unrealistic it is or may be.

I honestly have no idea why this guy gets any hate at all.

6/6/13 10:01 AM
epwar
577 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Chael is the only guy who ever steps up!" - Uncle Dana

6/6/13 10:10 AM
RazorMMA
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasn't this the same card that Andy said he'd fight on at 205 so they didn't scrap the entire card? Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 10:23 AM
crzyJenks
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WhoShotYushinOkami - 
Lobo8 - 
WhoShotYushinOkami - 

Me neither.

He should believe that he

a) can beat anyone

b) deserves a title shot

c) will win the belt in said title shot

In fact every fighter on the roster should have those beliefs no matter who ridiculous and unrealistic it is or may be.

I honestly have no idea why this guy gets any hate at all.

You couldn't have said it any better.  People constantly rag on the guy for believing in himself and having confidence.  If you didn't think you could win then you shouldn't be in the spot for a title shot, a big part on why he has done well is his confidence in his abilities.  The other thing that is funny is everything he does he gets compared to chael.  Many times Hewani has tried to bait him into talkin smack and he doesn't.  He's not bashing Anderson he just has confidence that he will beat him.  I don't get the hate, I get that anderson fans would feel that there guy was going to win, but to hate on Weidman for these things I don't understand that at all.

6/6/13 10:27 AM
SupaKnova

Lobo8 -
WhoShotYushinOkami - 

Me neither.

I knew it was only a matter of time... Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 10:34 AM
ortman166

AndrewBax - If he wants to fight Anderson silva so bad, why would he think that he would get a title shot at 185 when the 205 champ beats him? Or has that happened before? Haha Phone Post 3.0
No it only works the other way lol Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 11:47 AM
AndrewBax

ortman166 -
AndrewBax - If he wants to fight Anderson silva so bad, why would he think that he would get a title shot at 185 when the 205 champ beats him? Or has that happened before? Haha Phone Post 3.0
No it only works the other way lol Phone Post 3.0
Hahaha Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.