UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fitch: WSoF working with me, not against me

6/6/13 5:22 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In Feb the UFC released 16 fighters including Jon Fitch. After a nearly eight year run with the company, despite maintaining a #9 ranking in the UFC top 10 list, Fitch had gone 1-2-1 his previous four fights, and was gone.

Fitch signed with the World Series of Fighting, and during a media call earlier today, described the UFC as a "hostile" work environment.

UFC president Dana White took exception to the characterization.

"In the time Jon Fitch was with us, we paid him $302,000 in discretionary bonuses – $302,000," White told MMAjunkie.com. "That's money that me and Lorenzo decided to give him above and beyond the deal that he signed. He also made $130,000 on performance bonuses for his two 'Fight of the Night' bonuses. That's a hostile work environment? Everything that Jon Fitch said is complete and total bulls---."

"Jon Fitch said he was working under a hostile work environment and that he never had an opportunity and should have double the wins he had with us. He was complaining about what he had to go through here, about people saying stuff under their breath to him and all this bulls---. Jon Fitch is so full of s---. He's f---ing delusional. First of all, he had every opportunity that anyone else had. After Georges St-Pierre beat the living s--- out of him, did we treat him differently or anything?

"Just to lay it out with facts, Jon Fitch lost to Georges St-Pierre at UFC 87. He had an opportunity to fight for the title, and he got destroyed in that fight. He fought to a draw with B.J. Penn in a top contender fight. Then he gets a chance to be a No. 1 contender again and gets knocked f---ing dead in the first round by Johny Hendricks. What f---ing opportunities has he not been given?

"He was prominently featured on tons of UFC pay-per-view events. 'GSP'-B.J. Penn was the main event at UFC 94, and Jon Fitch was on that fight card against Akihiro Gono. He was on UFC 100 vs. Paulo Thiago. He was on UFC 111 against Ben Saunders, and 'GSP' and Dan Hardy were the main event of that one. UFC 117 against Paulo Thiago? That was Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen in the main event. He's fought on all the most prominent cards. When he had a baby, we sent him an awesome baby basket. Do you do that to somebody you don't give a s--- about? He's 35 years old, and since 2011, he's gone 1-2-1."

"In business, you're going to butt heads every now and then. But I've said publicly many times that I have no grudge with Jon Fitch. That whole thing is overplayed.

"He was given multiple opportunities and couldn't win the big fight. He's trying to make it personal. It's the furthest f---ing thing from personal."

"When we released Jon Fitch, I said right then that one of the other organizations would pick him up and he'd be a star there and probably hold their title. How is that not good for Jon Fitch?"

To understand why Fitch was cut after a single loss, while Dan Hardy for example was retained after four losses, you have to understand the nature of mixed martial arts at the highest level. MMA is not an amateur sport, where winning medals is the sole goal, as is the case in for example the Olympics. MMA is the HOLY F@$%ING $#!^ business.

"... there’s the holy s--- factor," ZUFFA CEO Lorenzo Fertitta famously told The Atlantic Magazine. "Actually, they said ‘the holy f---ing s--- factor.’ It happens at every fight. At least one or two times in every UFC show, whether you say it out loud or you say it to yourself, you go, ‘holy s--- did that just happen?’ I mean, you might see somebody do a flip, get kicked in the head, get knocked out with a punch. At some point, you’re going ‘whoah, did that just happen? Did I really just see that?’ That’s the nucleus of what our product is."

When an MMA fan is weighing whether buy tickets for $250 or order a PPV for $50, there is going to be a calculation, whether conscious or not, about how compelling the card is going be. And when the average fan thinks of Jon Fitch, generally speaking, their first thought is not HOLY F---ING S---.

Other sports are not like that. When Rulon Gardner beat Alexander Karelin it was for a point received when Karelin loosed his grip so imperceptibly that video review was required. But Garnder won the gold medal and became a sought after speaker, for big fees, and landed on a Wheaties box. In most sports, winning is everything. But for better and for worse, MMA is different.

White also discussed Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, who recently signed with Bellator MMA, and, like Fitch, directed pointed remarks at his former employer.

"'Rampage' comes out and says he's so happy – he's the happiest he's ever been," said White. "Why wouldn't he be happy? 'Rampage' himself, and I'm quoting 'Rampage,' came out and said, 'I don't have what it takes to compete with the best in the world anymore.' That's a quote from 'Rampage.' Now you're fighting in (TNA) where the outcomes are predetermined. You can start winning again.

"I'm sure they're paying him a s---load of money. Why would he not be happy? I'm happy for him, too. Good for him."

"He lost his love of fighting a long time ago. He wanted to be a movie star. The movie star thing didn't work out, so fighting is where he makes his money. Unfortunately, he's unhappy about that. That's not my fault."

Read entire article...

6/6/13 5:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nolabrum
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sucks to be in Fitch's shoes. When he was in the UFC he was one of the best but his style to many was considered boring. He probably is and will be as long as he continues fighting one of the top five guys at WW. I see the UFC's point of view also. Nobody wanted to watch him fight, he probably wasn't bringing in as much $$ as it was costing to keep him around. He started to become more exiting and then they cut him. Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 5:39 PM
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interested to read but sadly not surprising Phone Post
6/6/13 5:45 PM
Barbalos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What I didn't like about Fitch, is beyond the scoring system abusing style that employs, which is bullshit, he is a sore loser. Any time he has lost or not looked impressive he shit talks his opponents. He always had an excuse. He knew god damn well that the grinding style was not good in Dana's eyes. The rule system may be the athletic commissions, but Zuffa is your employer. At least make a fucking effort to make your fights more exciting.
6/6/13 6:15 PM
kinson

Sorry johnny. Literally fell asleep reading that. Phone Post
6/6/13 6:15 PM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Jon. I wish him the best. Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 6:17 PM
Kentpaul
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am sure if your are a big draw as a fighter and the fans love you etc etc, then the UFC cannot do enough for you but if you are not exciting and can't draw then the opposite is true, but i think that rule applies too all sporting orgs IMO
6/6/13 6:19 PM
UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephen Holder - Jon Fitch:

A fight is a fucking fight. When I pay to see you fight but then I don't see anything that resembles what most would consider a fight and this happens over and over, you piss me the fuck off (especially when you get good at it and win.) You are capable of making fights exciting when you engage like in your Eric Silva fight, so please do so. When you insist on GSPing the fuck up like a little bitch people really cant find a reason to keep you around. Get wins, make them exciting and get back to the fighting org that matters.

-Signed everyone

Signed

6/6/13 6:26 PM
bekk46

UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler -
Stephen Holder - Jon Fitch:

A fight is a fucking fight. When I pay to see you fight but then I don't see anything that resembles what most would consider a fight and this happens over and over, you piss me the fuck off (especially when you get good at it and win.) You are capable of making fights exciting when you engage like in your Eric Silva fight, so please do so. When you insist on GSPing the fuck up like a little bitch people really cant find a reason to keep you around. Get wins, make them exciting and get back to the fighting org that matters.

-Signed everyone

Signed

Signed Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 6:33 PM
TheRaider
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for Fitch. Hostile work environments suck.
6/6/13 7:47 PM
subwrassler
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happy for Fitch
6/6/13 8:06 PM
MartialArtsMixed
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War boiler brawn! Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 8:33 PM
hogh20

Attention Ben Askren! Read the above statements. That is why you are not in the UFC.
6/6/13 8:44 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
I wish him the best. He gave GSP a run for his money.
6/6/13 9:00 PM
Slip151
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immaculata - I wish him the best. He gave GSP a run for his money.

No

6/6/13 9:08 PM
jjchgo
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good for him! always a fan!
6/6/13 9:18 PM
Chris27

Dana responds

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/06/dana-white-delusional-jon-fitch-made-302k-in-ufc-discretionary-bonus-money
6/6/13 9:25 PM
Oontyex

Sure, there's nothing technically against the rules in what he does (until the fans get what they've been begging for, and a yellow card system - pride - is brought in).

However, how can he be surprised that fans ( and so the guys who sign his check, who make income based on fans' excitement and willingness to buy the product) can't stand him / his fights when nothing is happening most of the time

The rules should be punishing stalling or at worst , treating not using position as neutral.... and even if you 'win' by running out the clock doing nothing on top. You lost in the eyes of fans (including fight fans like your previous bosses). Lets see how happy your new boss is when you finish their show by stinking up the main event. Wonder how long that forced hype will last. Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 9:29 PM
91W209
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad that Fitch is happy where he is at. He's a very hard worker and I enjoyed his E. Silva fight. Phone Post 3.0
6/6/13 9:31 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
bozy - 
Slip151 -
Immaculata - I wish him the best. He gave GSP a run for his money.

No

. Phone Post

At least for a round he did! Lol. I still wish him the best.
6/6/13 9:56 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I seem to remember towards the end of Fitch with the UFC he was kind of defiant towards everyone pushing him to fight more aggressively, like he was digging his heels in. I like him, I like what he represents as far as his general toughness, but I'm siding with Dana on this one.
6/6/13 9:58 PM
Dana Stern

WSOF are treating him great first off because they have very few fighters that are known the casual MMA fans. Plus he hasn't even fought once, and Jon Fitch bitched and complained constantly while with the UFC. He acted like he didn't understand why people booed him, or he didn't get certain fights, etc, when everybody in the world was screaming for him to stop laying on people. I'm sorry but 95% of fans want to see people fight and work in multiple fight positions and Fitch never did. He had chances to go for subs, finishes and just played it safe. If I went to work everyday and did just enough to get get the job done while others were working harder to please the customers and the boss I would be looked at negatively and inferior by the company and customer. Phone Post
6/6/13 10:20 PM
Brian J DSouza

It's not possible to learn a completely new and exciting fighting style. Sometimes due to style match-ups, it can happen, like Bernard Hopkins vs Kelly Pavlik.

Winning a fight is hard enough, ask GSP about this.

6/6/13 10:21 PM
Forssberg

I have always admired Fitch and wish him the very best.
6/6/13 10:29 PM
Forssberg

Chris27 - Dana responds

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/06/dana-white-delusional-jon-fitch-made-302k-in-ufc-discretionary-bonus-money

Not a good response on Dana's part. He says The UFC gave Fitch $302,000 in discretionary bonuses and $130,000 in performance bonuses. That's in 8 years that Fitch was in the UFC, and we all know that discretionary bonuses are a large percentage of fighter's compensation. Considering Fitch was #2 at WW from 2007 to 2011, it's not a lot, and Fitch had a legitimate complaint to have been underpaid.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.