UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> This is the Thread About The History of the UG

6/7/13 3:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheOneDylanThomas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know how this thread will play but a few days ago Kirik made a post about how the Underground started in 1998 as submissionfighting.com and I thought that was interesting. So the UG experienced true style versus style fights, the genuine NHB Brazillain orgs, the ascenion of Kerr, Sak, Wand, Nog, Fedor,the birth of Pride, Zuffa's acquirement of UFC, TUF, the mainstream explosion of MMA, etc. And presumably had discussions during each example along the way.

So I am curious about what the opinions were during those times, I'm curious about how the site grew, about a lot of things.

So if any old vets want to answer some or all of the questions I have, that would be a very interesting read for me. Maybe some nostalgia for the vets too. And if others have questions, it would be cool for them to ask also.

Some questions I have:

(1) What were the thoughts about the 2000 Pride Grand Prix? Did most think Coleman would win? What did members say after Kerr locked up against Fujita?

(2) In 1998, how many members were there? How'd they find the site? Word of mouth, I guess?

(3) How'd the site become the "insider" MMA forum? In other words, the one where so many of the industry personalities came to? As opposed to Sherdog or mmaweekly?

(4) Did Kirik, Ryan Bennett, and Jeff Sherwood know each other before starting different MMA sites? Did/Do they get along?

(5) Have any UFC fighters initially started as UG members? Lauzon posted before he took up MMA, didn't he?

(6) Which fight had more UG hype/excitement? Ken/Tito, Tito/Chuck, Fedor/CroCop? Something else?

(7) What were the opinions after Wand/Sak 1?

I have more questions but I'll stop here.
6/7/13 3:15 PM
Spiderknows
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for answers Phone Post
6/7/13 3:16 PM
Jack Brown
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
6/7/13 3:18 PM
savage043
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In early Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 3:19 PM
Rudi

In Phone Post
6/7/13 3:21 PM
TheBearStare
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in. been lurking since 04/05 . very interested in the insight. i remember the fullcontactfighter newspapers thats would come out.
6/7/13 3:21 PM
Richard Tuck
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't have the answers but cool thread, I'll vtfu later Phone Post
6/7/13 3:22 PM
crowbar
618 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/07/13 3:26 PM

On June 06/24/2000 there were 41,436 members.

Current Member Count: 41,436
Events happening this week! .. { add your event} { show all events }
24-Jun-00 Hot Summer Fights GA
24-Jun-00 Wallid Ismail Seminar IL
24-Jun-00 KING OF THE CAGE CALIFORNIA
24-Jun-00 Fight Nite IN
24-Jun-00 A MEETING OF MASTERS Texas
24-Jun-00 World Submission Championships Ma
24-Jun-00 Copa De Mexico Nuevo Laredo,
24-Jun-00 Everett Extreme Challenge WA
24-Jun-00 REALITY COMBAT FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIPS VI LA
24-Jun-00 Jean Jacques Macahdo Seminar MI
24-Jun-00 Galway Extreme Fighting Hedford Road
25-Jun-00 Dan Inosanto seminar

6/7/13 3:23 PM
RickStorm
1516 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin

Thread by Kenflo

Kimbo vs Gannon

UG history

6/7/13 3:39 PM
TheBearStare
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah coleman was in bad shape back then. he was definitely not expected to win. he had a lot of recent hard losses. the four mentioned above were totally the favorites.
6/7/13 3:43 PM
rkilla
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm - 

Thread by Kenflo

Kimbo vs Gannon

UG history

This.

I wasn't around for the creation of the thread, but that thread is one of the better examples of how the UG has evolved during the years imo.

6/7/13 3:51 PM
dubate
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
6/7/13 4:00 PM
The Cats Masher
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a fairly new addition to this forum this thread peaks my interest...

:| Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 4:03 PM
Chaelismyhero

This is relevant to my interests
6/7/13 4:04 PM
Willin
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/07/13 4:09 PM

I think that this history should be comprised of three temporal distinctions:

BC

dC

AC

Before superCalo; during superCalo, After superCalo.

I can fill out the AC chapter in three words:

The place sucks.

6/7/13 4:05 PM
cruedi
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everybody wanted to see Kerr vs. Gracie. That tournament was like the beginning of the end of the Kerr era, if you can say there was a Kerr era.

Kerr's drug use was catching up to him. I think there was a thread once talking about how Kerr and Gracie met at their hotel in the lobby and joked with each other that everyone believed it would be them in the finals.

Coleman falling out of the ring trying to jump over the ropes cost him literally 100's of thousands of $$$$. He had a contract with WCW to go into pro wrestling that they canceled after seeing that. (I'm not sure why, but whatever).
6/7/13 4:11 PM
MartialArtsMixed
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in

6/7/13 4:14 PM
The Real Asian Cowboy
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(1) What were the thoughts about the 2000 Pride Grand Prix? Did most think Coleman would win? What did members say after Kerr locked up against Fujita?

2000 Pride Grand Prix was a huge topic of discussion. We were all certain that the finals would be Igor vs Kerr, even though we were all rooting for Sak! I remember being blow away that Fujita pulled the win out.

(2) In 1998, how many members were there? How'd they find the site? Word of mouth, I guess?

Don't remember how many members. Probably no more than 2000. I was just looking for a place to train in Tampa. One of the first sites to pop up.

(3) How'd the site become the "insider" MMA forum? In other words, the one where so many of the industry personalities came to? As opposed to Sherdog or mmaweekly?

Not really sure how they all ended up here. But most left quickly because of the trolling. Bas was a frequent poster. My favorite was when he talked about being denied drinks on a plane after the stewardess cut him off, and he just walked up to sleeping people and drank theirs. And of course Igor V supposedly posted but was then run off because we all thought it was a troll.

(4) Did Kirik, Ryan Bennett, and Jeff Sherwood know each other before starting different MMA sites? Did/Do they get along?

N/A

(5) Have any UFC fighters initially started as UG members? Lauzon posted before he took up MMA, didn't he?

Guys like Lauzon and Florian were part of the NAGA and GQ circuit and posted here way before MMA started for them.

(6) Which fight had more UG hype/excitement? Ken/Tito, Tito/Chuck, Fedor/CroCop? Something else?

Tito/Randy or Royce/Sak

(7) What were the opinions after Wand/Sak 1?

Most of us wanted to cry....or at least I wanted to.
6/7/13 4:15 PM
Jump Kick
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. I think most believed Igor was the favorite to win

3. This forum has always been the best and fighters realized this early on and joined in the fun

7. DamnSonYouGotKTFO.gif Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 4:27 PM
rva
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lurked many years before joining, as frankly I had nothing to contribute, but damn the hilarity, shenanigans, and just awesome insight etc, was cool to be able to be a fly on the wall in an emerging scene...

to this day, oldfox going to brazil still my favorite thread
6/7/13 4:37 PM
BRZ

OMA thread on Kimo was epic

6/7/13 4:46 PM
wiggum
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Threads/Incidents that define a previous generation of the UG:

(1) Kimbo/Gannon
(2) Hermes Franca fights Manny Reyes for $1
(3) Damien Ricco, Pepe, Robin Gracie, and Royce Gracie sonofbitch
(4) Bobsappfan gets beaten up by Erick Apple.
6/7/13 5:00 PM
cruedi
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Several members of the "rAw" team posted here. Raw CEO was always funny, the Big Cat (still see him every now and then), Vladdy, Dangerous Dan, and randy nohvack (sp) (not couture) had their own sub forum as well.

Becki Levi posted here when she was part of the dangerzone.

I don't remember how I found the forum, I think it was a link off a sambo site.
6/7/13 5:05 PM
NomoRomophobia
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting. Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 5:16 PM
djones
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Not really sure how they all ended up here. But most left quickly because of the trolling. Bas was a frequent poster. My favorite was when he talked about being denied drinks on a plane after the stewardess cut him off, and he just walked up to sleeping people and drank theirs. And of course Igor V supposedly posted but was then run off because we all thought it was a troll."

damn I forgot all about that...no one beleived it was Igor.... 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.