UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier: Next fight my last at heavyweight

6/7/13 4:38 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Daniel Cormer won the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix and successfully made his UFC debut at heavyweight, defeating Frank Mir my decision. Cormier had previously stated he was considering a move to light heavyweight, but it seems now the decision is made:

"This is it, my next fight will be my last at heavyweight," Cormier told ESPN.com. "I want to try to fight a little lighter this time, and by the end of this year or early next year, I will fight my first fight at 205 pounds.

"I've gotten my plan together, and I'm tackling it head-on so I will be able to [cut weight] in the right way and feel pretty good competing. It's obviously going to be a process and not an easy process, but I'm willing to take that challenge. I want to be champion."

read entire article...

6/7/13 4:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
1905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6/7/13 4:42 PM
hubris
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When DC drops to LHW that is when Jon Jones will move up to Heavyweight
6/7/13 4:46 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well that's fine as long as it happens. Phone Post
6/7/13 4:50 PM
Seats Taken
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - 

6/7/13 4:54 PM
jzus14
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DC is smart! by that time Jon Jones will be fighting AS or moving up to HW, i dont see anyone at LHW beating Jones, DC is just a really smart man and waiting his time! Also Cormier is not that young, he's 34, he knows if he loses now against Bones he will have a hard time climbing back up for another shot at the tittle! DC just taking the safe approach to UFC gold, cant blame him!
6/7/13 5:00 PM
hendofanforlife
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course he is going down, Cain is champ. GL to him he should be able to do this safely no problem. After his next top 10 win he would arguably be number one contender so time to pettis it down to the next weight class for a title shot.
6/7/13 5:08 PM
MMALOGIC

then he shouldnt fight a HW. He should fight a LHW above the 205 limit.

Instead of knocking out a HW contender he should fight Glover Texeria at HW.
6/7/13 5:11 PM
Seats Taken
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - then he shouldnt fight a HW. He should fight a LHW above the 205 limit.

Why in the hell would Glover, or any LHW fighter agree to this? 

6/7/13 5:16 PM
damnyouwoman14
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - then he shouldnt fight a HW. He should fight a LHW above the 205 limit.

What's the MMA logic in this? Phone Post
6/7/13 5:18 PM
da Vinci 81
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So best case scenario would be early-mid next year for a potential shot at jones?

Oh well, at least it sounds like he's finally committing to it. Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 5:18 PM
DoomFarmer
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card -

Not sure why this is being posted considering this is article is the answer. Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 5:19 PM
da Vinci 81
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And I'm assuming they don't just hand him a title shot before he proves he can actually make 205. Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 5:52 PM
Augustus Caesar
915 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - 

This.

DC should have a catch weight fight at 220 next.

6/7/13 6:24 PM
marvelous harvin mangler

A huge mistake imo. DC is an awesome fighter but he will lose his best advantage, speed and conditioning. That is the reason smaller guys like Fedor, DC, Velasquez , and even Nelson are so good. He is jumping in to a much more technical division where other fighters are still bigger but now will be able to match his technique, speed and conditioning. Look at what Hendo did to Fedor. Look what happened to Vera. Dropping down divisions is not always the answer. I`m a fan though so I hope I`m wrong.
6/7/13 6:30 PM
MMALOGIC

damnyouwoman14 - 
MMALOGIC - then he shouldnt fight a HW. He should fight a LHW above the 205 limit.

What's the MMA logic in this? Phone Post

1) so he doesnt eliminate a contender for Cain.

2) so he can prove he can beat a top 205lber before taking on jones.

3) so either Gustaffson or Glover can prove they can beat a top wrestler before taking on jones.

cormier vs Glover at a catchweight makes all the sense in the world.

You have a limited amount of contenders at HW as it is.

If not Glover... The winner of Rashad/HEndo also works (especially if it's hendo).
6/7/13 6:32 PM
UGSlapshot

da Vinci 81 - And I'm assuming they don't just hand him a title shot before he proves he can actually make 205. Phone Post 3.0
I hope not because the reason he didn't just drop down in the first place is because he's afraid he can't make 205 and retain his core strength.

Jones will wreck him regardless but I think it looks a lot less competitive at light heavyweight. Phone Post
6/7/13 6:43 PM
SupesUp
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is much more productive than just randomly taking shots at Jones. Very excited to see how this all goes down. Phone Post
6/7/13 6:47 PM
Seats Taken

UGSlapshot -
da Vinci 81 - And I'm assuming they don't just hand him a title shot before he proves he can actually make 205. Phone Post 3.0
I hope not because the reason he didn't just drop down in the first place is because he's afraid he can't make 205 and retain his core strength.

Jones will wreck him regardless but I think it looks a lot less competitive at light heavyweight. Phone Post
I believe somewhere around here is a thread with a direct quote from DW saying that he could have an immediate shot at the title.

I wish I wasn't mobile so I could search. Phone Post 3.0
6/7/13 7:02 PM
Kentpaul
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seats Taken - 
Card - 

Perfect response gif :)
6/7/13 7:27 PM
Forssberg

Coming from a man that looks to be 30 pounds overweight, this issue of losing 15 pounds of fat sounds extremely contrived.
6/7/13 7:38 PM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much actual fat does he carry around? Losing fat will be relatively easy if he is determined, but after that... Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 6:07 PM
Officer Farva
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.