UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ***Fighters That Look Like Leaders Of Antiquity***

6/10/13 5:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EazyG
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Augustus Caesar - 
EazyG - Augustus,

Awesome stuff. You may have too much time on your hands, but you are doing funny stuff with it.

In college I actually majored in Classics, too. I love the history of the Roman Republic: scipio, marius, the grachii bros, sulla, cinna, cicero, pompey, crassus, cato, ceasar. And of course my fav, clodius. Just fascinating. I am half wat thru the Roman Revolution by Syme. Have you read it?

Also i highly recommend goldsworthy's Life of a Colossus, about Caesar...

Keep up the good work!

Awesome post, I can tell you are a bigger fan of the Roman Republic than the Roman Empire, which is the same with me! I haven't read the Roman Revolution by Syme, but I have read the latter one, Life of a Colossus, about Caesar, it was pretty good.

Right now I am reading The Conquest of Gaul by Julius Caesar, I have read this book a while ago but it is such a hard read that I felt like I should read it again to fully comprehend it. 

My favorite Roman history writer is definitely Livy, I have read a lot of his work, I highly reccomend him. Plutarch is also another favorite of mine because he likes to compare Romans with Greeks, which is a common trend in this major. Have you read any from these two?

Also, if you are a classics major, I assume you know some Latin, so de historia romana dicere semper amo!

I have read some of Caesar - not easy. Get good footnotes! I hope to read all of it someday. I like Livy, Tacitus and Sallust - but have only read parts. Livy and Tacitus and frigging hard in Latin as I remember. I liked the moralizing in Tacitus and Sallust!

I havent read Plutarch but should some day. Polybius is on my list but will need to be translated as my Greek was never very good. My main stuff in college was Augustan poetry. Gotta love Vergil, Horace, Propertius and Catullus. Very beautiful stuff. I regret I never read all of the Aeneid.

My favorite Caesar quote - Alea iacta est. What a baller!

Another good book - The Last Generation of the Roman Republic by Gruen.

My favorite funny quote:

irrumabo vos et pedicabo

6/19/13 7:45 PM
Augustus Caesar
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

9/7/13 9:54 AM
TheHebrewHammer
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT, classic thread!

9/7/13 10:25 AM
MRG1
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great stuff Phone Post
9/7/13 10:35 AM
HertogJan
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, what a thread to start the early morning with. Brilliant thread, Voted Up.

McCorkle and Struve made me laugh out loud eating my breakfast here.

Also, waiting for an Alessio Sakara doppelganger to pop up, that man needs to have one..
9/7/13 10:45 AM
Shinsplint
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

voted up AC. So are you working from memory or is there some web search that can find similar faces? Either way fun thread thank you.
9/7/13 2:38 PM
Augustus Caesar
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HertogJan - Wow, what a thread to start the early morning with. Brilliant thread, Voted Up.

McCorkle and Struve made me laugh out loud eating my breakfast here.

Also, waiting for an Alessio Sakara doppelganger to pop up, that man needs to have one..

Glad you enjoyed it! 

I need to do some new ones, with Alessio being one of the fighters. :) 

9/7/13 2:48 PM
Augustus Caesar

Edited: 09/07/13 2:54 PM
Shinsplint - voted up AC. So are you working from memory or is there some web search that can find similar faces? Either way fun thread thank you.

I look through busts/photos/etc of historical figures and try to think of fighters that resemble them or vise versa. 

9/7/13 5:51 PM
Deepy
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These are great!

I want Marcus Aurelius. Phone Post
9/7/13 5:57 PM
Augustus Caesar

Deepy -  These are great!

I want Marcus Aurelius. Phone Post

Frank Mir (2 time UFC champion)

Marcus Aurelius (26 April 121 AD – 17 March 180 AD) 

Marcus Aurelius was a Roman Emperor from 161 to 180. He ruled with Lucius Vernus as co-emperor from 161 until Verus' death in 169. He was the last of the Five Good Emperors, and is also considered one of the most important Stoice philosophers.

9/7/13 6:02 PM
Deepy
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AC, can you do Scipio Africanus vs Hannibal? =) Phone Post
9/7/13 6:10 PM
Augustus Caesar

Edited: 09/07/13 6:13 PM
Deepy -  AC, can you do Scipio Africanus vs Hannibal? =) Phone Post

Fedor Emelianenko (Greatest HW fighter of all time)

Scipio Africanus (One of the greatest generals of all time) 

Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus, also known as Scipio the African, Scipio the Elder, and Scipio the Great was a general in the Second Punic War and statesman of the Roman Republic. 

Not sure who looks like Hannibal, though. I have to think about that one!

9/7/13 6:18 PM
Deepy

Uncanny resemblance.

VU coming your way my fren! Phone Post
9/7/13 7:37 PM
Abrtitans
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.